Start by marking “Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest” as Want to Read:
Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest

Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This collection of more than one hundred tribal tales, culled from the oral tradition of the Indians of Washington and Oregon, presents the Indians' own stories, told for generations around their fires, of the mountains, lakes, and rivers, and of the creation of the world and the heavens above. Each group of stories is prefaced by a brief factual account of Indian beliefs ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest

Stasia
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Not exactly the kind of book you sit down and read cover to cover, but I enjoyed the stories about places I see every day:)
Felicity
Dec 17, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
Not recommended for serious folkloric study. The preface with its note about editing out 'bodily fluids' gave me pause, and I later found the originally collected version of one story, only to discover Clark had removed an entire pregnancy.

I also think her focus on tales that explain the origins of geographic features makes the volume less interesting to the general reader.
Lorena
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a "local" to the geographical features around which many of these Native stories evolved, I appreciated the regional formatting. Some stories have been edited and others are likely influenced by intermingled cultures, such as has been a part of the evolution of stories forever. I enjoyed the stories and shared many of them with my children.
Erik
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice to have a collection of myths from the original inhabitants of the land we work and play in.
J.Aleksandr Wootton
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
The book took itself a touch too seriously for a semi-scholarly work, but the stories are quite good.
Sabrina Ryan
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good compilation from the elders
Coho Cabin
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is packed with wonderful cultural stories from the tribes of our region.
Julie Manthey
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This compilation of legends is both beautiful and interesting. There is both poetry and creativity included in these legends that transcend time. I hope more people discover this lovely gem.
Ben
May 01, 2013
Heather
May 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska
  • The Final Forest: The Battle for the Last Great Trees of the Pacific Northwest
  • The Weather of the Pacific Northwest
  • Sons of the Profits: or There's No Business Like Grow Business, The Seattle Story, 1851-1901
  • Ishi in Two Worlds: A Biography of the Last Wild Indian in North America
  • Where Bigfoot Walks: Crossing the Dark Divide
  • The Book of Nature Myths
  • The Other Side of Eden: Hunters, Farmers, and the Shaping of the World
  • In Search of the Old Ones
  • Totemism
  • The Lakotas and the Black Hills: The Struggle for Sacred Ground (Penguin Library of American Indian History)
  • Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation
  • The Innovator's Cookbook: Essentials for Inventing What Is Next
  • The Later Roman Empire
  • Book of the Hopi
  • Man's Rise to Civilization: The Cultural Ascent of the Indians of North America
  • Gypsy Folk Tales
  • Ad Infinitum: A Biography of Latin
Ella Elizabeth Clark was born at Summertown, Tennessee in 1896. After attending high school in Peoria, Illinois in 1917 she became a high school teacher though she did not receive her B.A. from Northwestern University until 1921. Miss Clark continued to teach high school English and dramatics until 1927 when she received her M.A. from Northwestern and began teaching at Washington State University. ...more