Start by marking “El capitán salió a comer y los marineros tomaron el barco” as Want to Read:
El capitán salió a comer y los marineros tomaron el barco

El capitán salió a comer y los marineros tomaron el barco

Diario de los últimos meses de su vida, cuajado de reflexiones hechas desde la cima de su experiencia. Todo ha cambiado para seguir igual; Bukowski vive en una casa cómoda, con piscina y jacuzzi y un buen coche en el garaje, pero la desesperación es la misma. "No sé lo que le pasará a otra gente, pero yo, cuando me agacho para ponerme los zapatos por la mañana, pienso: Ah, ...more
Paperback, Compactos #576, 168 pages
Published January 2012 by Anagrama (first published 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about El capitán salió a comer y los marineros tomaron el barco

Start your review of El capitán salió a comer y los marineros tomaron el barco
RandomAnthony
Charles Bukowski's The Captain is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over The Ship is a loose collection of journals from the author's last few years alive. He knows death is near and, in between computer repairs and trips to the racetrack, reflects on how to approach his day to day life knowing he won't be on the planet much longer. I started and finished this book on a Friday night and, although I've drifted from Bukowski's work in the last couple decades, I'm glad I read this one.

Bukow
Armina Salemi
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to any possible writer-to-be. :)))
Dear crazy mad short tempered Bukowski. :))
Aleksandra Rafailović
You, man, were a genius! Therefore, I'll drink a beer tonight. Or two. And will stare at my sleeping guinea pigs, considering I have no cats.
Jim
Why is it that I have let more than fifteen years pass since reading my last Bukowski? I had always liked him. When he died in San Pedro in 1994, only a year after the last diary entry in The Captain Is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship, I was surprised to see how busy he had been in his later years. Then, just a few months ago, I heard there was an exhibit of his papers at the Huntington Library in San Marino. I went on the last day and received the surprise of my life: The ...more
Sleepless Dreamer
This is my third Bukowski book. I read Women and hated it. I then read What Matters Most is How Well You Walk Through the Fire and liked it so I was curious about this.

The thing about Bukowski is that he's so obnoxious, such an irritating person and yet, I want to listen to him. Even though I know he gets on my nerves, I can't stop reading him and thinking about how our worlds are so different, I feel like I have more in common with Hemingway than with him and yet, I've read more of him.

So this
Sharmeen
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had been a long time since i read Charles Bukowski and was a bit unsure about this book - being a diary he kept from 1991 - 1993 in LA before his death in 1994. I used to read a lot of Bukowski in high school, who i blame for my negative relationship with men and sexuality. But what is cool is how much writing he continued to do right before he died - and maintained the same cynical and absurd behaviours that he even hated in himself. He wasn't getting into fist fights and drinking to oblivio ...more
Jessica Baxter
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best books about writing i have ever read. this should be required reading for all first year creative writing students. its also a brutal perspective on what it feels like to know you are dying. my favorite line:
"writing is when i fly, writing is when i start fires. writing is when i take death out of my left pocket, throw him against the wall and catch him as he bounces back."
Jon Nakapalau
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, favorites
Bukowski and Crumb! The greatest alienation 'tag team' ever!
Domhnall
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I have just been entering writers with the letter B into my Goodreads list and encountered this among my poets. I realised that I had omitted to read the book before today so I sat down and read it through in a few quiet hours. Apparently these journal entries are not classified as poetry but the book sits with my poetry and I am not moving it until I find a good reason why not. Maybe a writer later in the alphabet will sort this out for me.

Robert Crumb's illustrations are exactly the correct a
Cbj
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bukowski is old. He is pretty rich. He lives in a house with a pool and a jacuzzi. He goes to the races every day. In the evenings, he writes on his computer which he loves. The man who used to vomit and go to sleep on the roads likes playing computer games on the machine.

But he has not lost any of his fire. He comes up with profound (and dare I say, inspirational) writing like this at the age of 70:

“There's nothing to mourn about death any more than there is to mourn about the growing of a fl
Diego Munoz
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bukowski's diary kept in his early 70's.

A little repetitive at times, as his days consisted of going to the races, pondering the human species, writing, fearing that he could no longer write, and loosing touch with modern society.

Perhaps my favorite quote came in the final chapter:

"Why are there so few interesting people? Out of the millions, why aren't there a few? Must we continue to live with this drab and ponderous species? Seems their only act is violence. They are good at that. They truly
Vishal
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An easily digestible Bukowski, in the form of a journal written towards the later stages of his career.

You can tell the man has mellowed greatly, focusing most of his energies on the racetrack, writing with classical music in the background, and chilling with his wife and his 9 cats. As if Bukowski couldn't go higher in my estimation, he constantly professes his admiration for these enigmatic, zen creatures. Like a cat, Bukowski's writing tempers a predatorial ferocity with poetic grace.

What isn
Chhanda
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a long time, I have read something that I really enjoyed. Bukowski with his blunt writing, witness and candid expression just unique and amazing. In very simple words he just tells the truth with deeper meaning. There are so many lines I marked while reading. All are interesting. In this journal we can observe three major tasks of Bokowski in his everyday life-racetracking, writing at night and drinking. In between his day to day activities he gave very philosophical and reflective views o ...more
Simon
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charles Bukowski The Captain Is out to lunch and the Sailors Have taken over
the Ship
With illustrations by Robert Crumb.

Well a cool title and a cool book of Charles
Bukowski's journals in the last couple of years
of his life, with great pictures by Robert crumb.
this was written at the same time as he was
writing Pulp.
It is great to read Charley coming to terms with
the computer age in his 70's and his frustration
when it crashes and he loses a load of work. As
well as plenty of time killed at
Zack
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first posthumously published Bukowski books, illustrated by cartoonist R. Crumb, a selection of his journals just before he died. I've seen some of this writing in "Hollywood" and I'm pretty sure some of it rendered as poetry elsewhere too, but these are the original journal entries and have a good, sharp feel. I bought a copy of this book years ago before I was really sold on Bukowski and ended up selling it off. Got this used the other day and I have a feeling it's the same ...more
HeavyReader
I read this book many years ago, thinking it was a book of Bukowski's poetry when I plucked it from the library shelf. It is actually passages from Bukowski's diary written in the last days of his life.

I actually liked Bukowski more after reading these pages. He seemed to have mellowed with age, to have turned into a not so bad old guy.
Steven
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final sit down with old man Bukowski. This is his farewell book, so if you like Bukowski, then this should be required reading. Also has some cool illustrations by R. Crumb. This book was everything I thought that it would be.
Parth Jawale
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read Bukowski's Post Office and Factotum pretty much one after the other. So, this is me picking up a Bukowski after almost two years. Bukowski, I must say, is a lot like comfort food. You wouldn't expect a lot of surprises or twists and turns; you just kick back with some Chopin, some tea and enjoy the ride.

However, it is pretty evident that his life has boiled down to fewer, and simpler things, like classical music, cats, beer (gee, what a surprise!) and above all, writing. His interactio
Lisa
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had zero intention of purchasing this book but came upon it while in the essays/anthology section of b&n looking for something else. I picked it up because I saw Robert Crumb had illustrated it and immediately became intrigued. This was the first Bukowksi book I've read and interestingly, I'm not sure I would have developed such an affection for him had I started with his earlier stuff. The book is a collection of unpublished journal entries Bukowski wrote between 1991-1993 containing daily di ...more
Tyler V.
The Captain is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship, filled with some of the last writings of the infamous Charles Bukowski before he died, is essentially his book on writing. While technically a diary, much of the books discusses his beliefs and opinions on modern writing and how to write. Many of Bukowski's works are like this, I am sure. Other than that, there isn't much to say. It's quite short. It's entertaining, funny. I enjoyed reading it and time flew when I did. His mis ...more
Tiago
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a collection of diary entries written during Bukowski's last years. It describes his days, his thoughts about the world by observing people in horse races (his daily time killing activity), and random activities. Content-wise I didn't find it that interesting - yet, I've enjoyed the fluency and down-to-earth of the way he writes which makes it a great read.
Lori
"A writer owes nothing except to his writing. He owes nothing to the reader except the availability of the printed page...The best reader and the best human is the one who rewards me with his or her absence."

"Writing is when I take death out of my left pocket, throw him against the wall and catch him as he bounces back."

One of Bukowski's last novels. This one, written in journal form, leads us through a year or so of his later life... a 70 something old man, married and still writing, possibly w
Andrew LaBelle
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: senior-year
Highly entertaining. Bukowski comments on his social surroundings toward the end of his life in journal entries, and his thoughts are very candid and heavy on misanthropy, aging, and death. My caution stems more from Bukowski's personality and phobias than any technical aspect of his writing here. I enjoyed having access, at least to some degree, to his interior processes, especially those which related to his outlook on writing.

The illustrations provided by Robert Crumb are all very resplendent
Qurat
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a compilation of rants. There is no pretty way to put that. And like all rants its erratic, disorderly and unimpressive. Here and there a few interesting lines pop at you but they are all terribly cliched and the writing drips with a cynicism that is, quite frankly, depressing. I don't know why it was published but I read it because of the title. Thank God it was short.
Matthew Golinski
"Captain" is a posthumously assembled collection of Charles Bukowski's notebook entries, spanning the last few years of his life, from 1991 to 1993 (Bukowski died on March 9, 1994).
Paul
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Charles Bukowski and really didn't know much about his story till a few years ago. Paul Giamatti mentioned his name in the movie "Side Ways". After that I sort of was hooked. Thinking the guy was some long ago intellectual. Then finding out he passed away in 1994. So I devoured the book Charles Bukowski "Locked In the Arms of a Crazy Life" which was really great. What a story. And the movie Barfly. Just his last name alone reeks of philosophy, and I thought Oxford or Cambridge. Was I off ...more
Ville Verkkapuro
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bukowski only gets better with age. The 70+ Bukowski is (as he himself puts it) clearer and more powerful than ever before. This was a wonderful collection of diary entries, very raw and pure. Something I've read and experienced multiple times before when reading him, but still am in awe of the sheer power and passion of these words, no matter how mundane the subjects are. Drinking, smoking, the horse racing, the reflection on past and the society... pure LIFE in its essence.
Whenever I lay down
Bobby
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many people consider Pulp to be Bukowski's farewell book, but I really prefer The Caption is Out to... in that position.

It's a collection of journal entries from the last two years of Bukowski's life. It's repetitive at times, but that repetition is one of the main themes of his entire body of work.

There's no writing tips here, but this book should be a must read for anyone willing to commit to being a writer. Sure, Bukowski drank, and gambled, and bummed around, and womanized, and fought, but h
Eduardo Hernandez
Read a Spanish translation, I think the editorial was Anagrama. Nothing compared to his style in English and sometimes the translation missed some meaning for being too literal, but the book as a whole has the Bukowski signature to it and it made mee feel like I was getting to know the real writer. Sincere and unapologetic, it inspired me to continue writing, pursue life and accept reality.

Oh, and the fact that there are illustrations from now defunct Mad magazine's Mr. Robert Crumb made the rea
Jaime Crandall
This is a tough one. I love Bukowski and I enjoyed this book. That said, compared to his other work, this was a little repetitive (same observances and stories relayed multiple times throughout) and missing the spark that the others have.
If you love Buk, you’ll probably enjoy this for what it is. If you’re new to his writing, start with something else. It’s my opinion that his novels are the way to begin...maybe Factotum or Post Office.
Also, to be fair this is more like 3.5 stars.
Pretty good, n
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dreams from Bunker Hill (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #4)
  • 1933 Was a Bad Year
  • The Road to Los Angeles (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #2)
  • Wait Until Spring, Bandini (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #1)
  • West of Rome
  • The Brotherhood of the Grape
  • Ask the Dust (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #3)
  • Full of Life
  • Piccoli equivoci senza importanza
  • Agora eu entendo
  • Que explote todo
  • Bir Kadının Yaşamından 24 Saat - Bir Yüreğin Ölümü
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more