Start by marking “The Island of Adventure (Adventure, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Island of Adventure (Adventure, #1)

The Island of Adventure

(Adventure #1)

For Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Jack, the holiday in Cornwall was everything they'd hoped for - until they began to realise that something very sinister was taking place on the Isle of Gloom.
Published March 14th 1975 by Pan Books (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Island of Adventure, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Read it and find out. It's a kid's book, should take less than an hour.

Valerie
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 1st in a series of 8 books that I've read many times during my childhood.
Used to get them at the library every summer, sometimes I read them in order, sometimes not, it didn't really matter, I enjoyed them whatever way I read them.
To be honest, it wasn't reading, it was sharing the adventures with the characters, they did get into some predicaments, ones we all dreamed about getting into ourselves as kids in real life!
I got the boxed set for Christmas when I was 40, I read them agai
Tom Seward
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enid-blyton
Enid Blyton is an amazing childrens author, bestselling in the world. Although almost undiscovered by Americans.

This series (The Adventure Series is 8 books long) Features 4 friends who fall into adventures with counterfeiters, gunrunners, treasure hunters and the like. Jack, Philip, Diana, and Lucy-Anne and their crazy talking parrot, KIKI, are a lot of fun to follow through their adventures... This series is top notch reading... introduce your children to Enid Blyton today!
CLM
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review: https://perfectretort.blogspot.com/20...

The first and perhaps most memorable of Blyton's Adventure series - starring Dinah and her brother Philip (and his assorted animals), Jack and his wimpy sister Lucy-Ann, and Kiki the Parrot. No one who has read this book will forget the perilous descent into a dark well, relying on metal staples for grip. Fusty, musty, dusty!
Sherwood Smith
I am afraid to reread these books again--I started to ten or fifteen years back, and was appalled at how dead cliche they were. But when I was ten, they were the most riveting and exciting books I'd ever found, and I adored them. Blyton mastered the formula of establishing character types, so that the kid reader can easily recognize characters and motivations, gets the adults conveniently out of the way, and lets the kids have the adventure and solve things. The prose is instantly accessible, th ...more
Tara Calaby
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
The Adventure series was one of my favourites when young, but I don't think I read this particular title more than once, going by the fact that I didn't remember the plot at all when re-reading it. It's a strong adventure story for kids, although I personally think that later titles in the series were stronger. Certain aspects of the book are a little bemusing when reading as an adult - like the strange man whom the children befriend and eventually invite into their bedroom for the night ;) Ther ...more
Rogerio
This is typical Enid Blyton stile and has a striking similarity with the Famous 5 story where they go to the island for the first time. It is actually 5 once more (4 kids and 1 parrot), on school holidays, 2 kids visiting other 2 kids, secret passages, bandits, etc. It is a good story to read, however, if you read the Famous 5 this book comes across as not being very creative and a sort of "more of the same".
The cavalry gets there in the end :).
Helen Yeomans
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book from my youth and decided to re-read it to see if it stands up.

It does. Enid Blyton apparently wrote more than 700 books for children, but I always thought you could keep your Noddys and your Famous Fives; the Adventure series was my favourite. I liked the two sets of siblings, Phillip and Dinah, and their friends Jack and Lucy Ann. And Kiki the parrot is still good for a laugh or two. The adults, especially Bill Smugs, were always around when you needed them but conveni
Jake Collins
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Adventure series is brilliant - Enid Blyton at her absolute best. It's like the Famous Five series but much more hard-core. Jack, Philip, Dinah and Lucy-Ann constantly find themselves in extreme survival situations that would probably make the Five decide to cut their losses and take their own lives. Usually (although not in this particular instalment) the children get themselves trapped in some godforsaken foreign country for months on end with apparently no feasible way of ever escaping. T ...more
Shawne
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm a fan of Enid Blyton. A HUGE fan. And yes, I have found pleasure beyond rose-tinged nostalgia even re-reading her books as an adult. I suppose there's a reason I never stumbled upon the Adventure series as a child - while Blyton deals fantastically well with boarding school stories and fantasy worlds for children, whether it be fairies and gollywogs, adventure stories seem rather less her forte. And I would hazard a guess that this series is accordingly lesser known than some of her classics ...more
Yasmin
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this!
As a child, I only had the second book in this series, and absolutely loved it. So it was great to read, all these years later, the beginnings of the friendship between the children in this first story.
I have to say, these books are like little Indiana Jones books for kids- so full of excitement. And not just for kids either-I was genuinely gripped in certain parts, and I'm 37 years old!!!!
It's a real joy to know that Enid Blyton can still keep me enthralled, even now. Loved her
Azizah SL
Buku pertama dalam seri Petualangan yang menjadi buku paling datar dan kurang tegang di antara lainnya. Emang mestinya baca buku pertama dulu sih ya, jadi pas baca seri selanjutnya itu makin seru. Bukannya dari yang serunya naik turun lalu tiba-tiba meluncur ke bawah 😅.

Sisa satu lagi yang belum dikelarin: Petualangan di Puri Rajawali. Lebih tepatnya emang belum punya 🙈😂. Semoga segera kebeli, aamiin.
Daina Valeine
Gan man, gan 10gadniecei darbība likās pārāk lēna un apraksti smagnēji. Meita līdz galam "neizvilka".
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip and Dinah Mannering and Lucy-Ann and Jack Trent have had the best of luck in being allowed to spend summer break together at the Mannering’s home – a castle, actually – Craggy Tops. They spend most of their time crawling along the beaches and hills and cliffs near Craggy Tops looking at birds and trying to find a way to get out to the mysterious island they see every once in a while through the fog out on the ocean. Unfortunately, their only options are Bill Smuggs, a friendly but secreti ...more
Samantha
This series of books was chosen as part of my 2015 Reading Challenge but I'd often wanted to revisit the books of my childhood. I remember absolutely loving Enid Blyton and so I was apprehensive would they live up to my memories. Well I'm pleased to say I was not disappointed it was every bit as exciting and fun as I remembered and I can see why Enid Blyton was so popular and why I loved them so much as a child.

The 4 children Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Jack (not forgetting Kiki the parrot) are
Mark
Dayna
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in Enid Blyton’s Adventure series.

I’ve read a few books in this series over the years, but I’ve never read the series in its entirety, or the first book, so it was great to read where it all began.

It had all of the trademarks of a Blyton novel; a group of kids, a cool pet, obvious bad guys, plenty of good eats and a rollicking, good adventure.

This one was very similar to the first book in the Famous Five series as far as the setting, with the Island, underground tunnels, ring of
cindy
Salah satu seri buku petualangan anak2 dari Enid Blyton. Tokohnya 2 bersaudara philip dan Dinah dan 2 bersaudara kawan mereka, Jack dan Lucy-ann, seekor kakaktua bernama Kiki, serta seorang agen rahasia(?) Bill Cunningham. Ceritanya mengikuti format yg sama dengan Lima Sekawan: liburan, piknik, melihat hal aneh, iseng/usil menyelidiki, ketemu penjahat, tertangkap, melarikan diri, bantuan datang, terungkap semua. Hanya tokohnya saja yg berbeda.

Di sini ttg percetakan uang palsu di pulau terpencil,
Indah Threez Lestari
1311th - 2011

Baca ulang.

Seri petualangan merupakan salah satu seri Enid Blyton favoritku selain Pasukan Mau Tahu. Buku ini kubaca lagi setelah bertahun-tahun lewat, jadi rasanya ada sesuatu yang hilang, tidak seseru waktu kubaca jaman SD. Ini kayaknya memang Faktor U, dan pengaruh sudah terlalu banyak buku yang lebih menarik yang sudah kubaca.

Anyway... baru nyadar misteri di Pulau Suram ini kok sama dengan misteri di Pulau Hitam-nya Tintin. Jadi, mencetak uang palsu memang harus dilakukan di pul
Andrea
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by one of my Indian students because this is his favorite author. It is very old (published in 1944), but it is still a goodie. The characters and story are well-developed, and the action and suspense are thrilling, but not too scary. The old-fashioned language is also very amusing. This is a good book for any elementary aged reader. It is part of a series, and I am excited to read more!
Beth
How I inhaled this series when I was eight! It really is the same book repeated over and over, with some stories more successful than others.

And I'm starting to think that Enid Blyton's most successful characters are her animals. Kiki somehow never grates on my nerves, probably because I'm forever laughing at how she grates on everyone else's. Then again, "how people react to Kiki" is a frustrating good/evil barometer. SO. Typical Enid Blyton.
Priya
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, 2011-books
After a long time, I finally got to start the adventure series and i felt it was worth it ... the plot is acceptable for a bunch of early teens ... first of all they are not portrayed to be super human kids who can do more than we can imagine... but just a bunch of curious georgies :) acceptable for their age ... and lucky at the end :)

Can wait to continue the series ...
Srishti
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was rather scary. I was gripping my seat in sheer terror throughout the entire book. It was THAT scary. On the whole, it was a definite thriller, a story full of surprising and (more) shocking turns, a must-read book for all Enid Blyton lovers. I won't tell you the story, for if I do, what good is the book? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Josiah
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really is an amazing book! The characters are so relatable and I just love Kiki. This is the only series that I've every laughed out loud while reading. Kiki says so many random things that are hilarious. I really got sucked in the book, and in some parts it was just like I'm sitting beside the characters! 4.5 stars...
M.K. Aston
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderfully exciting tale for children. And a nostalgic read for me. Loved these books as a kid and still get enjoyment from them today. Stuart Tresilian's illustrations are simply terrific too.
Scolaro
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, adventure
Oh boy, I knew even when I read it for the first time during childhood that this series is misogynistic like hell, but it's actually worse than I remember. Other than that nice story, but not as good and exciting as the other books in the series.
Chelsey
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Plenty of people have nostalgia for these, but since I didn't grow up with them I see them just as sexist, racist, mud. Kids books have improved dramatically over the last several decades. Read something else instead.
Rd. Sya'rani
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
saya baca cetakan ketiganya, november 2011. bacaan pas smp dulu ini, ternyata tetep saja menarik. Penggambaran tempat dan lokasi yang detil oleh Enid Blyton selalu menarik untuk diikuti, apalagi sering setingnya di sekitar pantai. Semoga saja suatu saat ada penulis Indonesia sebagus bu Enid.
Swathika Manu
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the plot, though it was quite predictable.
Miss Kodok
Buku pertama serial petualangan karya Enyd Blyton. Bercerita tentang petualangan 4 orang anak dan seekor burung kakaktua. Ceritanya cukup asik sebagai bahan bacaan untuk anak-anak. Membuat penasaran.
Dreamer
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Devoured this series of books as a kid. Go Enid!!
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • A Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Shadows in the Twilight (Joel Gustafsson, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Nya hyss av Emil i Lönneberga (Emil i Lönneberga, #2)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)
  • Amazon Adventure
  • The Sea Fairies
  • Return to Sender
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

Adventure (8 books)
  • The Castle of Adventure (Adventure, #2)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
  • The Ship of Adventure (Adventure, #6)
  • The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)
“Well, you know what grown-ups are,' said Dinah. 'They don't think the same way as we do. I expect when we grow up, we shall think like them - but let's hope we remember what it was like to think in the way children do, and understand the boys and the girls that are growing up when we're men and women.” 25 likes
“suddenly, was the roaring sea” 0 likes