Start by marking “Dive: A Quartet of Merfolk Tales” as Want to Read:
Dive: A Quartet of Merfolk Tales

Dive: A Quartet of Merfolk Tales

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
You never know what hides beneath the sea's surface until you take the DIVE...

DEEPER by Christine DePetrillo
Crystal Bawle wants to sleep, but every time she closes her eyes, the drowning nightmare seizes her. Water is everywhere, and she is swallowed. That deep blue ocean wants her, and she’s getting too tired to fight.

Doctor Ray Taimen has spent too much time on land, but
Published September 25th 2012 by Amazon (first published September 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dive

Donna
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good collection of short stories - all very different but all having to do with mermaids or mermen. The characters are realistic but quickly slip into sci-fi range when they encounter the aquatic life they are destine for. After reading these you might think twice, or three times, about the creatures you encounter in the water.
Penny Watson
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dive: A Quartet of Merfolk Tales by Christine DePetrillo, Rachel E. Moniz, Heather Rigney, and Joseph Mazzenga

This is a collection of four very short stories which I also got for free on Black Friday. Needless to say, the horror stories (MERMAIDS ARE NOT NICE by Heather Rigney and BLOODY DEPTHS by Joseph Mazzenga) were the most successful. And I'll tell you why. The other two stories are romance, and to be honest, it's almost impossible to write a successful romance this short. There is just not
Howard Parsons
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
There's an old saying - actually, there are a lot of old sayings - that goes "Good Things Come in Twos". In the case of Dive: A Quartet of Merfolk Tales, the saying should be revised to read "Good Things Come in Fours". Each of these tales is suitable for older YA's as well as adults in search of an enjoyable read on the topic of Merfolk.

Christene DePetrillo leads off the quartet with DEEPER, a merman meets girl kind of story. Crystal Bawle - yes, that's her real name - is a thity-year-old insom
Eric Townsend
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
My experience with merfolk prior to reading this short story collection consisted of The Little Mermaid, the Percy Jackson series, and a bit of naughty adult reads (thanks Kelly Apple!). With that said, I went into Dive blind and with no idea what I was getting myself into. What I was left with was fitting for a collection, a mixed bag.

Deeper by Christine DePetrillo – Rating 2/5: Woman is suffering from nightmares about the sea. Woman meets man that happens to be a merman that can come on land.
Darcysmom
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The stories in Dive: A Quartet of Merfolk Talestake you beyond the disneyfied version of merfolk and into deeper, darker waters.

"Deeper" by Christine DePetrillo tells the story of the unfortunately named Crystal Bawle. Crystal has been suffering from nightmares for years - she is at her wits end. Can the handsome doctor, Ray Taimen, help her? Can Crystal help the good doctor before his time runs out? Only if they are both willing to go deeper.

Heather Rigney's "Mermaids Are Not Nice" shows just h
Emm Cole
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mermaids, mermaid, ocean, own
Dive has four differing and fun mermaid tales. If you like mermaid books, this is a fun read with a little of everything.

Deeper by Christine DePetrillo has very tangible descriptions. If you enjoy romance, prepare for some spicy interaction. I am team Ray. Who wouldn't be?

Unfathomable by Rachel E. Moniz is a sweet story of a merman who goes out of his way to rescue a human girl. The building bond between Troy and Theresa is sweet and endearing.

Bloody Depths by Joseph Mazzenga is inventive and su
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This quartet of tales covers a wide range of genres with the mythology of merfolk as their connection. On the one end of the spectrum you have Deeper, in which you get romance, in Mermaids Are Not Nice, you get satire/light horror. For saying there are only four stories here, I was impressed by their coverage.

All four stories are well-written and well-paced with a lot of story in a short amount of time. If you like tales from beneath the waves, then I can definitely recommend this one to whet yo
Ryan
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book contains four short stories; of which I liked "Mermaids are not Nice" by Heather Rigney the most.

Rigney's story centers around a rather unlikable protagonist for these kinds of stories; an overweight alcoholic mother who while one day taking her daughter out to the swings at a playground encounters someone unusual.

The other three stories, to be honest while they were written decently; all were stories I had read before basically, with the names and places changed.
M.
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book! It was fun and quick read and very unique. I liked being able to finish one story and then get caught up in the next. The writing was excellent and each story had a different spin on mermaids. It is great for a lighthearted day at the beach or a fireside evening.
Donna
Jan 04, 2013
Christine DePetrillo tried not being a writer. She's attempted to ignore the voices in her head, but they will not stop. The only way she can achieve peace and quiet is to write the stories the voices demand.

Today, she write tales meant to make you laugh, maybe make you sweat, and definitely make you believe in the power of love.

Christine lives in Rhode Island and occasionally Vermont with her hus
More about Christine DePetrillo...