Start by marking “Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)

Commencement (Hellsbane 0.5)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Hell hath no fury like a woman’s scorn for frat guys…

Emma Jane Hellsbane knows something evil is worming its way through her college campus—she can feel it. Literally. Her freakish ability to feel other people’s emotions as though they were her own has always been monumentally awkward, and it’s easier for her to just pretend it doesn’t exist. But this time her paranormal a
Nook, 56 pages
Published September 27th 2012 by Entangled Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Commencement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Commencement

Saralee
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emma Jane Hellsbane is a college student with a major problem on her hands. No, it's not that she can just look at another person and feel their emotions as if they were her own -- she's always been able to do that.

Her problem is that her soccer-star boyfriend is possessed. What's a girl gonna do?

This story, "Commencement," is a fun, fast-paced introduction to the Hellsbane novels. Emma is a likeable heroine who finds the inner resources to battle a nasty supernatural enemy, with the help of he
Molly Beeker
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I would recommend it to anyone who loves a suprise ending! From the very first page I was hooked! I can't wait to read more by Paige Cuccaro!
Ana Millet
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my sisters Ebelinda, Damaris, Suzette and the rest of the family
It was a wonderful novella and I enjoy it so much. I recommend this book to everyone to read it you will not regret it.
Darkfallen
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those novellas that is packed full of everything that makes a great read. I loved this book so much I couldn't put it down, and now I can't wait to get my hands on the first book in this series.

Em is in her senior year of college and she has the best friend, the boyfriend, and these freaky powers that allow her to feel other people's emotions. On most days she tries to block them out but the day that she gets this weird vibe from her perfect boyfriend she knows there is something
Crystal
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Commencement is a good introduction to the Hellsbane series and the characters of Emma Jane and I hope Mihir. It's short, but it leaves you anxious to start the series which I think is just the point of this novella.

Even though it is short, it is action-packed which I think leads the way for a very interesting series. I also like the brief glimpse into Emma Jane and Mihir who I think will be great characters. Both are snarky, smart and fun. Emma Jane being the main character and older and Mihir
Charlie
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Commencement is a prequel novella starring the empathic character, Emma Jane Hellsbane. Releasing a prequel has its advantages and disadvantages. It's a great way to set up a series and also, for the reader, to get more than a synopsis to see if they'll like the storyline and writing style. However, on the other hand, it is shorter than the average book, this one being 50 pages, and some might feel a bit ripped on page length, but hey, it's free over at Amazon Kindle, so what do you have to lose ...more
Beth
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emma Jane Hellsbane has a boyfriend named Justin that she loves, she is graduating college in a few days and a best friend named Mihir. Emma can also feel others emotions, not sense them she really feels them.

One night when Emma is with Justin she feels an evil presence. At first, she thinks it’s coming from Justin but Mihir mentions it might be a possession. Emma, with Mihir’s help, must solve the mystery of this menacing spirit effecting Justin.

Commencement is the first in Hellsbane Series.
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Commencement is a short Novella that is packed with punch. Man when I started reading it I did not want to put it down. Emma is in her senior year at college and she has the best friends and boyfriend a girl can ask for. She also has these freakish powers where she can feel peoples emotions and intentions. So when he boyfriend starts acting weird and she can feel those dark emotions she knows there is something wrong with him.

What she will uncover will rock her world because she will have to fig
Shari
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Be careful what you wish for! This prequel to the awesome Hellsbane series is a quick, fun read. Characters are well defined and interesting, and it's a well told story that will have you turning pages and devouring it whole in one sitting. Kind of like a wickedly delicious dessert, but without the sugar crash later.

You should read it too. Now. Go now. I'll wait.
Laura Nedley
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book might be short but it's packed with excitement! The author, Paige Cuccaro, writes with enthusiasm and all her books will keep you wanting more!
Ebelinda
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good, once I started I couldnt stop! Cant wait to read more!!
Jennifer Strand
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I crave a good novella. Generally speaking, there's a lot of action and you can learn a lot about a character in a pretty short amount of time. Unfortunately, this one fell a little short for me.

This was my first introduction to Emma Hellsbane and the world she lives in. I've not read any other books in this series and I feel like that's okay based on the fact that novella is marked as book #0 in the series. I do wonder if I would have felt differently about this novella had I read Hellsbane (He
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer!
A fun introduction to the world of Emma Jane Hellsbane!

Sensing others emotions is an ability that college student Emma Jane Hellsbane wish she didn't have. When she suspects her hot, soccer player boyfriend Justin is being possessed by a vengeful entity, Emma turns to the only person that knows of her secret, her teenage friend Mihir. Together, they devise a plan to save Justin and the student body from the soul stealing villain that will change the course of Emma's life as she knows it.

When we
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
3.5

*Book source ~ Many thanks to Entangled Publishing for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Emma Jane Hellsbane is different than her fellow college students. Not only can she sense other people’s emotions, but she experiences them, too. She’s had to work to keep feelings not her own at bay, but sometimes they overwhelm her. When her boyfriend Justin suddenly doesn’t feel right to her, she seeks help from the one person who she can talk to and not expect him to call her a
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy See site review for similar titles

Like many fans of this genre, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was my gateway drug to the world of urban fantasy. So whenever I come across a book that is reminiscent of Buffy, or pays homage to the series, I get happy, happy, happy. Paige Cucarro’s Hellsbane series does both, and it does them well.

In this prequel novella, set five years before HELLSBANE, the first full length novel in the series, empath Emma Jane is a young c
Kate
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this introduction to the Hellbane series considering my usual dislike for novellas. It’s short and sweet but we get to see a great snapshot of Emma Jane at 19 – intelligent, caring and determined to help those she cares about.

With computer savvy boy genius Mihir at her side, Emma tries to work out what’s bothering her boyfriend and first true love, soccer star frat boy Jason never realizing that it’s more than anything she’s seen before. Her empath’s
Valerie
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
3 stars- A good intro into this world

Emma is different and while she doesn't know why, she also doesn't share the information with others. Well, except for Mihir. In this short intro into the world of Emma Hellsbane, she really figures out that there is more to her than just being different. She may not be human.

This is exactly what a intro novella is supposed to be about. It introduces the main character and starts the world building. Hopefully, it also buildings a connection with the main char
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love prequels because it always gives you that feel for the author's writing style, the characters and setting of the story and a feel for a series in general.

Most times you can tell just by reading one whether you even want to give the series a try. Do you like the characters? Was it engaging enough to make you want to buy the first book? Can you relate at all to the storyline?

I can say without a doubt that I loved Emma the main character. Her unique ability that she is still learning about,
Paris
Prior to reading this novella, I had never read anything by Paige Cuccaro. At times I felt like I was missing something, which made me wonder if maybe reading Hellsbane before reading this prequel would have helped. I kinda sorta liked Emma. There were moments that I thought she had kick butt potential and then other times where she sounded like a whiney high schooler even though she was in college. Her boyfriend Justin seemed like a total douche, even with the nice lunch with his little sister ...more
Karin Shah
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Commencement by Paige Cuccaro is a fun introduction to the world of Emma Jane Hellsbane, Nephilim.
We first meet Emma as a senior in college. She's got all the things a senior needs, including a hunky boyfriend. But Emma has one thing a senior can do without, she can feel emotions. When Justin, her boyfriend starts acting strange and she feels a wave of slimy hatred from him, she begins to suspect something is seriously wrong. She discovers that Justin is possessed by a Jinni. And the evil creatu
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
Commencement is a short and interesting intro into a New Adult paranormal/fantasy series. I am very impressed with how well the story was written. It was just enough to leave you wanting more.

Emma Jane Hellsbane is in collage and is going to be graduating soon. Her best friend Mihir is a quirky and super smart teen and he knows her secret. A secret she has not told her almost perfect boyfriend Justin. That secret is that she can feel the emotions of others.

Soon she starts feeling strange emotion
Jasmyn
A short and sweet prequel to the Hellsbane series. This was a cute introduction to Emma Jane Hellsbane and her special power of empathy. When she "feels" something is wrong with her boyfriend, she never suspected it might be a form of possession, but it looks like the supernatural world has just decided to make itself know to her.

It was a great lesson in wanting things you didn't work for and not pissing off your supernatural girlfriend. Emma manages to save the day overall, but Justin pays an i
Big
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What's Not To Like? Commencement was like Chinese food. An hour later you want more. The intro to the Hellsbane series definitely left me wanting more. I was curious to see what else Emma Jane Hellsbane would get into. It's also interesting to see where an author will take a story when you see that he or she does not play favorites or by anyone's rules but their own. An example is Emma Jane's efforts to save a lying, cheating boyfriend. It could have turned into just another happily ever after s ...more
Cherie
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The paranormal edges its way into Emma Jane Hellsbane’s world in Commencement by Paige Cuccaro.

Emma Jane is sassy, smart, and sarcastic. Her voice in the novella drew me in. I love how Cuccaro used Mihir, a computer genius, to introduce the paranormal world to Emma Jane. Mihir seems so unlikely, but his family’s background makes him the perfect choice. The paranormal world building sets up the Emma’s story for more to come as well as moves the fast-paced plot.

For a novella, the story is to the p
Leigh Anne
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great little novella. The author did a nice job of building my interest in the characters in such a short time. This story captured my attention right from the beginning, and left me wanting more. I'm looking forward to checking out the series, and seeing what happens next with Emma Jane!
Tia
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Kind of amateurish to me. I mean the story was alright but I have to wonder if the author will write better for the novel that is actually part of the series. I found certain things a little too unbelievable, especially about the end, to do with Justin.
melissa
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read first

These books are very good but I would read them in order so you know what is going on,hope you enjoy this series I really did has angel and demons and a little love story all in the mix.
* Booksessed * Bec
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-net-galley
Book provided by publisher.

I thought this was quite an interesting read. Although short it had a good plot and likable characters. I look forward to reading more in this series
Rajitha Fernando
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
ok book. Think the hellsbane novel is going to be than this...
Cana Elene (http://placeofreeds.blogspot.com)
Review will be available on December 30, 2012 at Place of Reads Book Review Blog
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, #2)
  • Down & Dirty
  • Grimm End
  • Grandmaster's Legacy (Erotic Historical Suspense, Box Set)
  • Ashes and Wine
  • Peregrine Harker & The Black Death
  • Stone of Destiny
  • Ascendancy (The Godswar Saga, #1)
  • Wings of Redemption (Return to Sanctuary, #0.5)
  • Ice Gods
  • Dark Entry
  • The Australian (Jet-setters & Jeopardy, #2)
  • Fierce & Fabulous (Sassy Boyz, #1)
  • Jazz in Love
  • Cross Current (Seychelle Sullivan, #2)
  • Killing Down the Roman Line
  • Deceiving the Witch Next Door
  • Walk the Right Road Box Set
Wife, Mother, tax payer, writer.

HELLSBANE
Read the complete series from the beginning...

I live in Ohio, with my husband, three daughters, three dogs, and three cats, in an ever shrinking house. When I'm not writing I'm doing the mom thing with a book in one hand and a notepad and pen in the other. Ideas come without warning and for me, the best way to stimulate my imagination is to enjoy the imagin
More about Paige Cuccaro

Hellsbane (4 books)
  • Hellsbane (Hellsbane #1)
  • Heaven and Hellsbane (Hellsbane, #2)
  • Hellsbane Hereafter (Hellsbane, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)