Start by marking “The Invisible Princess” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Princess

The Invisible Princess

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Mama and Papa Love have a child, the Invisible Princess, who saves them and the other plantation slaves from their cruel master so that they can all find happiness in the Invisible Village of Peace, Freedom, and Love.
Published January 9th 2001 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible Princess

Mariah
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mariah by: Raymond
Thanks to one of my Goodreads friends, I was suggested the author Faith Ringgold. My class will be reading all her picture books that my library has because they are great for our Black History Month unit.

This book had a really cool theme and was very educational. It talked about slavery and the fear of having children because they would be born into slavery.
The ending talked about forgiveness and change. It explained how someone as evil as the slave owner could turn into a better person.

I rea
Malika J.
I took Sam to the Children's Museum a while ago. They have an area with magnetic fishing for younger kids and there are books throughout the area. This is the book Sam picked. I wasn't sure about it at first because it seemed really long. There was a lot going on in the museum and I wasn't quite sure how long his attention span would be. However, he was so engrossed in this book as we read it. The story is about some slaves and their daughter they gave away to protect her from the mean, old Capt ...more
Matthew
This story is more about folklore dealing about slavery in the south. It deals about this girl who is born among slave parents who becomes the Invisible Princess who the mother seeks protection for fear that the owner will take her away.

No one can see her except those who are pure at heart such as the slave owner's daughter who is blind and yet can still see her. I enjoyed this book which dealt about suffering and forgiveness which isn't easy when discussing about slaves and them being tortured.
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: going through Faith Ringgold's oeuvre
I quite liked this book.

It starts off not fucking around: "Long ago, in the tiny Village of Visible, way down in the deep Deep South, there lived two slaves called Mama and Papa Love. They were called that because of the great love they had for children, though they never had any of their own for fear that Captain Pepper, the mean old slave master, would sell their child and destroy their loving family."

I also liked the first crowd scene of white people, they all have faces as white as their clo
Amy
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A wonderful fairy tale about a princess born to a slave family who is whisked away by the Prince of Night who makes her invisible because otherwise it is feared that she will be sold by the evil slave owner. The slave daughter's blind daughter can see the beautiful invisible princess and tells her father who vows to find her and threatens any slaves who try to hide the girl. The slave owner's daughter warns all the slaves of her father's evil plan. The daughter & slaves together with the Gre ...more
Renae Williams
This book explores a lot of touchy subjects that took place during slavery. We always hear stories of the adults tragedies during these times, but it was interesting to see how painful it was for the children as well. I couldn't imgagine being seperated from my parents at such a young age and this happend all of the time. It is important for children to learn about the past, and this book presents it in a classy way.
Catherine Woodman
I really love the work of Faith Ringgold and making African American history available to kids--however, this book is by no means representative of her usual work. The illustrations are better than the story but neither is great. The story is too complicated and unengaging to follow easily, and the piece I liked best is the cover illustration.
Whitestorm
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Antonio
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
“The Invisible Princess,” is a story that illustrates the pain and fear that slaves experienced as a result of the ever present possibility of being separated from family members. The book also demonstrates the importance of religion in the lives of slaves and their masters.
Cya
An African-American folktale about couple who wants a child. It takes place on a plantation with an evil plantation owner. This book has great illustrations. This is a good book to read during Black history month or just to show folk tales from different cultures.
Ellen
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314-006
This picture book tells about freedom. Although it is a fiction, it can help children understand about American history of slave and plantation. I also like its picture. The colors are beautiful and the illustration looks fantastic. It matches well with the story.
Sherrie
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful folktale which explores slavery and injustice in a way younger children can understand. The drawings are colorful and the dialogue is lyrical. Highly recommend for children ages 4-9.
Andrea Retana
I would like to use this book to teach students about folk tales from different cultures during Black History Month.
Michelle Odenbaugh
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book! It really demonstrated how different black and white people's lifestyles were back during slavery.
Brittany Basalla
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
A very sweet book that talks about freedom. Not necessarily one I would pick out again. Enjoyable but not one of my favorites.
Allyson
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many good things about this book. It is a great way to introduce the shameful history of slavery in our country to young children. The artwork is approachable and attractive; it captivated my 4yo. I was happy to have a princess she could relate to that was not Disney. We have read the Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch, but I think for her age, Ringgold’s artwork was just more exciting to her. When I asked her later what the book was about she said it is about love.
Suebee