Start by marking “Little Women (Little Women, #1, part 1)” as Want to Read:
Little Women (Little Women, #1, part 1)

Little Women

(Little Women #1, part 1)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  17,000 ratings  ·  1,063 reviews
Edición juvenil con ilustraciones versionada para Susaeta. Louisa May Alcott nació en Filadelfia en 1832. cuando era joven, escribió algunos relatos cortos y textos periodísticos, y ante el éxito obtenido decidió dedicarse por completo a la literatura. Logró una gran popularidad con sus novelas, especialmente con Mujercitas, publicada en 1868. En ella, relata la historia ...more
Kindle Edition, Public Domain, 647 pages
Published May 12th 2012 (first published September 30th 1868)

To ask other readers questions about Little Women, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Allison I think you only read part one titled "Little women".Part two is called Good Wives(most of the time it is published with part one and collectively…moreI think you only read part one titled "Little women".Part two is called Good Wives(most of the time it is published with part one and collectively they are called Little Women). https://www.amazon.com/Good-Wives-Lou...(less)
Diana Part One has 23 chapters. Part Two continues to Chapter 47. There is a new 150th anniversary edition which is complete. I found it on Amazon. I hope…morePart One has 23 chapters. Part Two continues to Chapter 47. There is a new 150th anniversary edition which is complete. I found it on Amazon. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.(less)

·  17,000 ratings  ·  1,063 reviews

Start your review of Little Women (Little Women, #1, part 1)
Barry Pierce
Okay I’m just gonna say this. I liked Little Women. I’m an 18-year-old guy and I liked Little Women. What. It’s quaint. It’s quaint as fuck. I’m such a Jo.
Elizabeth
May 21, 2018 marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, children
I know my mum read some of this to me as a kid and I also picked it up a couple of times myself but I don't know if I've ever actually gotten through the whole thing. I definitely owned the 1949 film and watched that many times as a kid.

I picked this up recently in an attempt to get through it and I just find the whole thing a little too precious I think. Though I will say, for being written in 1869 this book is hugely impressive, particularly Jo's character.

So, one more to throw on the pile of
Stacey (prettybooks)
This mini review is part of a blogpost talking about three children's classics.

Little Women was one of the classics that had been on my wishlist the longest. I think I first came across it while watching that episode of Friends. I didn't know much about Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy March, but it seemed like the perfect children's classic for me.

Yet Little Women wasn't as engaging as I had hoped. I wasn't emotionally drawn into the sisters' lives, which is important for a character-driven novel. It's a
Melindam
Original rating: 5 stars

Update: 4 stars - still a comfy-cosy/feel-good read, but I am aging or getting more mature or whatever you want to call it, so kissing goodbye to fresh bloom/youth/innocence/naivety and 1 star!

Ah, the idea of transcendentalism and the happy notion of inherent goodness of people and nature. How it appealed to me (it still does, but felt a bit spoon-fed this time round!)....

*SIGH*

*FEELING SAD, BUT BRAVELY FACING THE INEVITABLE*

It used to be a favourite book of mine, though
Obsidian
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ms. Smartarse
While most people may associate the four March sisters with the Celestial City or the Pilgrim's Progress, my initial thoughts tend to veer towards Amy's bawling face in the 1987 anime version's German opening sequence, pictured here for your convenience.

Amy being spanked

Unlike some kids who'd hurry home from school to catch it on TV, I was more interested in the anime that would start 1 hour AFTER this one... and I wanted to give myself enough buffer time. So the end result was probably the same: in that I
Karschtl
I once did a short presentation on this book, the following text was part of it.

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, which is now a part of Philadelphia, in 1832. But soon she moved with her family to the Boston-area, where she and her three sisters Anna, Elizabeth and May grew up. The four girls were educated by their father Bronson Alcott, who was a member of the New England Transcendentalists. Through him Louisa met other Transcendentalists like Theodore Parker, Henry David Thoreau and
Kim
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Reading this book again after an interval of some forty years was much like returning to a place known well in childhood, but not seen since. Memory distorts the landscape and the size and the shape of things contained within it. The place is both totally familiar and completely unknown at the same time.

Little Women is one of the first novels that I remember reading. I can still see the book – a red hardback with small print, the dust jacket long gone. It took me to a time and a place that was
Maria
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, children-s
This is technically a re-read of this great classic. The first time I read it was in my early teens, and while I remembered some key details, the rest felt brand new. I'm pleased that it lived up to my memory and that I still enjoyed it as an adult.

It's post Civil War America in New England when we are introduced to the March family. We follow the stories of the 4 daughters as the mature into young women. There are beautiful stories, heartaches, and timeless morals.

This definitely has the feel
Reem Ghabbany
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved and enjoyed and was full of happiness while reading this and now I’m depressed I finished it!!!
I loved reading about the sisterly love and relationship. The unconditional love shared between the family & how blessed they are to have each other and it was just so refreshing to read about the innocent love which is seldom found in nowadays’s literature.
I was so immersed in this book that I felt like I was their fifth sister. I related to the characters a lot. Loved being in their
Brierly
Little Women ticks so many boxes for me -- 19th century lit, American lit, women's lit, and semi-autobiographical.

I do enjoy how Alcott repurposes people from her own family as the March sisters, but even more so I love the allegorical implications of the four young women. Each woman represents a different approach to life for 19th century American women. To marry and raise a family (Meg), to care for one's parents (Beth), to focus on art/pleasure (Amy), and to pursue a balanced life (Jo, based
Cindy
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-1900
It is hard to believe I have never read Little Women, Louisa May Alcott is one of my favorite authors. Her writing style is so warm and inviting. I felt like I could pull up a chair by the fire. Every time I picked up this book, I found myself asking I wonder what the March family is up to. There are so many good moral lessons in this story. I have been previewing a lot of books. Today's literature seems to be sex, violence and bad language. It was nice to read a good wholesome story. My ...more
Miriam Smith
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kept-book
Loved this book when I was younger, re read it many times and enjoyed it each time. Lovely story line, family values and great character descriptions, at times very emotional.
Christy
This is considered a classic for a reason. Aside from the occasional moralizing (or more than occasional), and from the "little women" domestic speak, this book is a gem of characters in miniature: vain Meg, slangy Jo, angelic (boring) Beth, temperamental Amy, not forgetting the rich and handsome "Laurence" boy. I still have not reconciled myself to the fact that Jo turns Laurie down, and although Jo's eventual mate, Prof Bhaer is dear and says "Prut!", I find refuge in the fact that he is old ...more
Zoha
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, it was a pleasant surprise. I did not expect to love those 'little women so much! I did not know much about the book, except that Rachel made Joey read it in friends, and I liked it that way.

I loved every single character so much and I enjoyed reading about them. I loved how March girls found happiness in little things they did. How they loved and took care of each other. How they fought with each other but also made up real quick. It was such a quick read. I literally read it in one
Peter
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was bought for me by my youngest daughter on my last birthday.

What can I say certainly the kind of book she enjoyed, for me, too sugary and very girly. A fun book that teaches morals and respect, so can't complain if it helps her to show more respect for her elders and help others where she can.
Cal (Constant Raving Reviews)
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Read more bookish goodness on my book blog: Cal's YA Reads

4.5/5 stars.

LOVED THIS STORY!!!

My only update was:
"Beth is my fave.

Fave moment (so far): Amy trying to be a lil bitch (as usual) and says samphire instead of vampire. Priceless.

Jo's deadpanning keeps me inthralled in this book.

It's just so sweet <3"

I have nothing else to add. I really enjoyed it.
mills♥
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of all time. I read this a few months ago and I still love it just as much. The characters were great, and I think this is based off a real story. This is recommended x 100,000 and this is a MUST READ!
Amy
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading March, I decided to read Little Women just to see what references I may have missed. So... not much happens, really. There's not a lot of plot here. It's mostly about the girls and how they manage to get along while their father is away.
Melinda
If You have seen them, which adaptation would You recommend?
The 1994 movie, or the BBC mini-series?
Thank You!
Kirstine
The March family, with sisters Jo, Amy, Beth, Meg and their mother, Margaret, are a very charming acquaintance and following their big and small adventures in everyday life and love is a sweet and humorous ride.

Each chapter covers a new and different episode in their lives and there’s not any particular main plot. We simply get glimpses of their lives from one Christmas to the next. It makes it easy to dip in and out of, you don’t have to remember exactly what came before, but can read a
Kristen
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, middlegrade
The first half of this book was almost unbearably preachy but then I fell in love with the second half of the book. I want more Jo and Laurie now! *stamps feet*
✧Hessa✧
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurie is my new book boyfriend and Beth is my freaking little angel
RTC
Girl with her Head in a Book
Oh, Little Women, how I love you. My mother first read this to me when I was six. Technically this is my second review of it as I also used it for my Book Report in Year 2. I remember at the time that I kept being summoned out of class to show visitors to the school that I was reading Little Women - having worked as a primary school teacher, I now understand why the headmistress got so excited, it's a fair bit above the usual independent reading done by the average seven year-old. In my Book ...more
Tasha Turner
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids, adults
Recommended to Tasha by: My mom
This is one of my all time favorite books and authors. I reread this book every few years. This is not her best written book but it tugs at my heart strings the most. I grew up near where Lousia May Alcott lived and was able to visit several of the houses she grew up in which added to my kinship with her. That said reviewing this book for its writing alone is impossible for me.
Lori Henrich
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Took me longer to read than normal with a move to handle.

I love this story and will watch the movies based on the book quite often. A good classic story.
Suey
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely story with lots of lessons to learn and a bit of sadness.
Ahsen
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book sucked the life out of me. No classics for me for a looonnnnngggg time.
Amani-Bz
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
It's been an eternity
Lucy
Little Women is a book that I've wanted to read for years but for some reason I just never got round to it. I so wish I'd read this sooner because I absolutely loved it! I loved following the lives of the March sisters and I loved all of the characters. There's something so special about this book and I know I'll keep coming back to it. I can't wait to pick up Good Wives and read it soon!
One life care trust offer a positive direction 1 3 Jun 04, 2018 11:37AM
1 Page? 12 170 Jul 02, 2011 07:15AM

• El fantasma de Canterville: y otros relatos
  • Unicorn: The Memoir of a Muslim Drag Queen
  • Orgullo y Prejuicio
  • Martyr of the Catacombs: A Tale of Ancient Rome
  • Algún día te mostraré el desierto: Diario de paternidad
  • Cuentos, 1
  • The Scent of Magic (Doomspell, #2)
  • Novemberschnee
  • Penguin Essentials a Room with a View
  • Skóra. Witamy uchodźców
  • Hybrid (Nevermore, #2)
  • Kismet (Forevermore, #1)
  • Forevermore, The Complete Series (Paranormal Urban Fantasy Boxed Set): (Kismet, Catalyst, Solstice, Eventide, Coalesce)
  • Witchling Academy: Semester Six (Spell Traveler Chronicles #6)
  • Kellie's Diary #6
  • Destiny (Nevermore, #4)
  • Sacrifice (Nevermore, #3)
  • El barco de los niños
As A.M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/

Little Women (3 books)
  • Little Women
  • Little Men
  • Jo's Boys
“My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning, and may be many; but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one. The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength. Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidingly as you come to your mother.” 523 likes
“...the love, respect, and confidence of my children was the sweetest reward I could receive for my efforts to be the woman I would have them copy.” 235 likes