Start by marking “The Girl Who Would Be King” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Would Be King

Read Excerpt

The Girl Who Would Be King

A novel about two teenage girls with superpowers and radically different agendas, destined for a collision that will rock the world.

Separated by thousands of miles, two young women are about to realize their extraordinary powers which will bind their lives together in ways they can't begin to understand.

Protecting others. Maintaining order. Being good. These are all import
Published September 27th 2012 by 1979 Semi-Finalist, Inc (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Would Be King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Would Be King

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Being a graphic-novel story told in a young-adult prose, The Girl Who Would Be King is a difficult book to categorize. Considering it's also a frustratingly bad story told through a wonderfully entertaining narrative, it turns out the book is difficult to review as well!

Two girls receive superpowers after the deaths of their mothers. Haunted by the tragic car accident that took her mother's life, Bonnie Braverman vows to use her powers to help people. In contrast, Lola LaFlame proactively obta
Cyna
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've spent most of the night trying to sort out how I feel about this book, and I think the gist of what I've come to is "disappointed". I was really psyched for The Girl Who Would Be King. I'm a fan of the author's podcast; she seems like a sensible, gender-aware woman, and I was super-excited by the idea of a female-positive YA superhero book that could avoid all of the traps that make this genre so frustrating.

Also, that is an amazing cover. I mean goddamn, Stephanie Hans should do every cove
Jenna
This is going to be a rough review, because it's been approximately a year since I last read this book. I wasn't writing reviews on Goodreads at the time, but there's been some new interest in this title so I thought I'd post some quick thoughts on it before rereading it for a more detailed review.

First, there are some things to be aware of:

• This novel is self-published and, as a result, has more errors than you'll usually find in something from a major publisher.

• This novel was self-published
Seeley James
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Who Would Be King — by Kelly Thompson $2.99 E

This book is better than Hunger Games. A hell of a lot better. More exciting, more innovative, more fascinating. And yet Traditional Publishers won’t touch it. Why? Because it doesn’t fit their formula. It has no genre, no shelf at B&N, no section in the library. It doesn’t fit neatly in a marketing plan.

They can’t handle it.

But you can.

The Girl Who Would Be King is not a Young Adult title. It’s not an action adventure, or a thriller or
Journey
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Last night, as I neared the end of the book, my girlfriend asked me what I was reading. I told her and said "I'm not sure I like it." That was around 90% through. Now I've finished and I'm still not sure I like it. I think it was an entertaining story, but the flaws might override that.

I didn't realize it was self-published at first but it explains a bit. I think there's an ellipses in every other sentence, which gets really obnoxious. The suspension of disbelief went too far for me. Very minor
Kate
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2012
What a weird week, finishing this and Divergent. On one hand you've got a mercilessly marketed NY Times bestseller, on the other a Kickstarter-backed YA-ish novel that didn't find a publisher.

One note about the differences: In Divergent, Tris has a weird relationship with an older dude in a position of power who smacks her around in public, then confesses the leavings of his wounded soul in private. In this book, you have two separate female protagonists--granted, both slightly older teenagers-
Wilmar Luna
Apr 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
When I read about the concept to this book, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I opened the book and read the first paragraph which was entirely in 1st person perspective. I didn't mind that it was in 1st person, but what was starting to bother me was the fact that it was written in the voice of a 16 year old girl. I didn't think much of it, until I continued reading and realized...

The whole book was going to be written in the voice of a 16 year old girl. One boring (the hero)and one annoyin
Kimberly
In case you don't know, I am what you would call a superhero fan-girl, and I love all things comic book related. Unfortunately, while I've read my fair share of comics, I haven't read that many actual novels about superheroes - only Perry Moore's Hero and Superman: Last Son of Krypton by Elliot S! Maggin. That's why I was beyond ecstatic to hear about this book while browsing through Kickstarter.

The Girl Who Would Be King tells the story of two very different girls: Bonnie Braverman and Lola LeF
Jessica Andersen
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I really enjoyed this book. It is told in first person by two different narrators. The switch between the two is noted by a small symbol, but once you're a little ways into the book you don't really need those markers. The voices are pretty different from each other.

The story is about two girls, one raised by a disinterested mother, the other raised in an orphanage from the age of 6. They both discover they have something that makes them more than other people. They can run faster, they're stro
Jessica
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, ya
Projects like this are why I love Kickstarter. The Girl Who Would Be King is a fun, well-written gem of a book, and if traditional publishers had the final word, it never would have seen the light of day. This book is admittedly difficult to classify-- it's a YA book that is somewhat longer and more "literary" than most YA books, and it also contains more sex, violence, and sci-fi elements than are normally seen in YA literature. Instead of brooding vampires, jealous werewolves, or teens struggl ...more
Mel
I loved this. It was a very different story. Though the back talks about the girls having "super powers" this is not (thankfully) a superhero story. There are two girls who are the opposite sides of the same power. One destined to be good the other bad. But what makes this such an interesting and great story is that despite being quite psychotic, and murdering many people Lola is such a wonderful and likeable character. There's a great realism to the two young women as they blunder through their ...more
Miranda
Despite some writing that needed a run through with a professional editor, some insta-love and some logic missteps, I really loved The Girl Who Would Be King. As I expected when I read the summary, it’s everything I want in a story: Two main female leads who end up being the other’s enemy, with the fate of the world in the balance, all told like a comic book in prose form. And let’s just say I wasn’t disappointed.

The story shifts between two POVs, Bonnie Braverman and Lola LeFever. Of the two, a
Fallon
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me 3 days to finish this book, and honestly it felt longer. Why? There is just so, so very much going on and it's not that it is bad, because it's not, it's just a lot! This book follows Bonnie Braverman and Lola LeFever in their journeys of self discovery and eventually their ultimate battle, which in a book about good and evil (guess which is which) you totally expect to see. This could be called nature vs. nurture, but there really isn't any nurture for either girl, so it's all instin ...more
Abbie
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was an okay read, quiet boring and confusing in areas though.

Bonnie and Lola are completely different from each other.
Lola is power hungry, and kills anyone who gets in her way. She thinks nothing of killing fourteen people, and goes on to kill more.
Bonnie uses her powers for good, defusing horrible situations, and even helping cats stuck in trees.

The story was quite slow in the beginning, and it took 60% to pass for the girls to actually meet.
When they did meet, it did make me interested
Shawn Edrei
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Despite an interesting central premise (two superpowered girls with drastically different lives and personalities are headed for a collision course), Thompson's stilted and cliched writing undermine her effort to put a different spin on the superhero formula. Characters are flat and two-dimensional, lacking any nuance - early attempts at establishing a supporting cast for the protagonists include a boy Lola becomes infatuated with for no other reason than because he's "cute", while a bully terro ...more
Matt King
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The epilogue was a little predictable, and I'm pretty sure I never want to read the word "Um" in dialog ever again, but this book was fantastic. You could tell she was influenced by Whedon. Since when is that a bad thing, though? I'm dying to see what she comes up with next.
Auntie M
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure where I heard of this book or why I bought it, but I did love it. It started out sorta slow, but then became a page-turner. Sometimes the back and forth between the two characters was jarring, but mostly it was interesting.
Renee Valentine
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

I couldn't stop reading. The take on a modern day superhero origin story was really good. The duality of the two women was interesting. I wouldn't mind reading a sequel.
Lexie
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
All right folks I'll say it upfront, I helped fund this book through Kickstarter.  I also wanted the super duper deluxe edition with all the nifty extras which included everything from the Hardcover deluxe edition to so much swag I can't help but glory in it.  This in no way biased my opinion towards the material however.

Honestly speaking I signed up and helped fund this because the book is damn good.  Kelly Thompson takes superheroes, grief, growing pains and learning to adjust in a world that'
Nikki Plummer
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this book a million stars, I want to marry it.
Josh
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, superheroes
A real fun read. Great story from an up and coming author. I'm really glad that I backed this kick starter!
Aaron
The two young women at the center of this work of superhero fiction are emotional and psychological masterpieces in the absence of a curator.

Through the rumbling, what THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE KING is trying to tell its readership is fairly simple: traits of heroism and traits of despotism once thought inviolable and deterministic are mere table scraps; they are the leftover trash of a previous generation's half-honest and half-sycophantic desire for a better, more romantic way of life.

Extraordina
Garrett
Ultimately, this was disappointing.

I like Kelly Thompson's other work, and the premise of this - two girls discovering superpowers on opposite sides of the nation and then squaring off for the inevitable confrontation - was exciting, but at the end of the book, the ending fell a little flat for me, and the self-discovery digression felt forced in one instance and flat in the other. Lola really doesn't have an arc in my opinion, and eventually, we're just watching her be stupid and cruel in new
Kelly
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Novel that Reads Like a Comic Book!

Bonnie Braverman and Lola LaFever are two young women, both orphans, standing on the threshold of adulthood. Though they don’t know it yet, they are two halves of the same whole: an ancient and powerful force, passed on down though the matrilineal line, which bestows upon its possessor (or possessed, as it were) god-like powers. The descendants of one blood line are driven to save, protect, and nurture; the other, to kill, destroy, and dominate. Their oppos
Mikayla Gray
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Newsflash; I am in love with this book!

After reading good things about The Girl Who Would Be King by Kelly Thompson while setting up my blog, I picked it for my second review, expecting to take a week or so to read and review it properly. Instead, I stayed up until the early hours of the morning reading because I simply could not put it down. It’s that good!

Featuring a pair of kickass female leads, TGWWBK tells the story of teenagers Bonnie Braverman and Lola LeFever, both gifted with god-like s
Kelly W.
I read this novel upon recommendation from someone who is well aware of my obsession with superheroes and strong female protagonists (for lack of a better term). Overall, it's a welcome addition to the realm of sci-fi/fantasy, and the main characters (Bonnie and Lola) are well-developed, gripping individuals who will capture the attention of any reader. The novel does have some shortcomings, but I think the brave forays into non-formulaic YA and female-led fiction outweighs the missteps in thing ...more
Rachel
The Girl Who Would Be King is an interesting take on the superhero genre, weaving Celtic mythology with superhero tropes. In fact, it's really more a modern fantasy novel than superhero. There is no spandex, there are no secret identities, there are no over the top villains. It's much less colorful than anything your average superhero comic fan is familiar with. There are just two girls with mysterious powers and a mysterious connection.

Bonnie and Lola's fates, and their relationship to one anot
Caanan Grall
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
I read this book in under two weeks and the last time I read a book that fast was the seventh and final Harry Potter, so at least I know it's compelling! Many a "2am lights out" were had with this book, but I didn't care for the character of Lola at all.

The reason I didn't care for Lola might possibly be the same reason this struggled to find a publisher as a YA book. Half the book is from the villain's perspective (which leaves her unfiltered villainy lacking a moralistic framework), and boy -
Ardo
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm ecstatic.

I'm so happy to have finally read this book after getting the hard copy in December. I'm a sucker for superhero stories since I'm such a huge fan of Batman and Wonder Woman among others. This story follows two girls with extraordinary abilities and their journey. They're driven by two very different things: one saves people and the other kills them. Yet both are intriguing characters with their own struggles which allows for more depth than just good and bad.

Thompson knows how to wr
Eugene
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going with the black/white, good versus evil theme of this book, I'm going to present this as a pros/cons list.

Pros
-- I loved the premise of this book. Two young women from two lines of conflict and power discover their amazing powers. Each works through this in their own way, and one day they will collide...
-- The characters are great, especially Lola, who is just an amazing villain. Bonnie isn't bad either, but she is nowhere near as compelling. The interaction between Lola and woman she kidna
  • Prepare to Die!
  • Princeless, Vol. 6: Make Yourself Part 2
  • Cucumber Quest: The Ripple Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #2)
  • Watson and Holmes - A Study In Black
  • Four Dark Nights
  • All-New Wolverine, Volume 3: Enemy of the State II
  • After the Golden Age (Golden Age, #1)
  • Lincoln's Bodyguard
  • The Incredible Hulk: What Savage Beast
  • The Shadow (The Darkness Trilogy, #1)
  • Alexandria
  • Tomb Raider Volume 1 : Season of the Witch
  • Masked
  • The Never
  • The Other Brother
  • Pretty Monsters: Stories
  • Spiegelkind (Spiegelkind, #1)
  • Where Bluebirds Fly
KELLY THOMPSON has a degree in Sequential Art from The Savannah College of Art & Design. Her love of comics and superheroes have compelled her since she first discovered them as a teenager. Currently living in Portland, Oregon with her boyfriend and the two brilliant cats that run their lives, you can find Kelly all over the Internet where she is generally well liked, except where she's detest ...more
“Destiny doesn't always come when it's convenient or when you think it should. It comes when you're ready, whether you know it or not.” 6 likes
“Superpowers or not, a person should be allowed to be simply happy, without feeling like they need to strip off their skin.” 5 likes