Start by marking “Brothers at Arms: Treasure & Treachery in the Amazon” as Want to Read:
Brothers at Arms: Treasure & Treachery in the Amazon

Brothers at Arms: Treasure & Treachery in the Amazon

(Men of Grit Adventure #1)

Lawrence and Chester Stoning are twins, but like Jacob and Esau of old they have little else in common. Lawrence is a realist, fascinated by the study of science, mathematics, and history, while Chester longs for the knightly adventures of chivalrous times past — hard-fought battles, gold-filled caves, damsels in distress.

When Chester’s impetuosity engages the unlikely
Published September 2012 by Vision Forum

To ask other readers questions about Brothers at Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brothers at Arms

Start your review of Brothers at Arms: Treasure & Treachery in the Amazon
Sarah Grace Grzy
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 14+ for mild violence
Recommended to Sarah Grace by: Micaiah
Wowee! What a whoppin' crazy adventure story!

This is one of those books where the story really shouldn't work, and you wouldn't usually like something like it, but yet you do and it does. The story line is COMPLETELY unrealistic, yet it just . . . works. And you end up loving it. I am not really a fan of straight-up adventure stories like this one, but I still greatly enjoyed it!

The fact that the two characters were brothers definitely was the main draw that made me want to read this. I love
Age Appropriate For: 10 and up for mild violence

Best for Ages: 10 and up

Where was this book when I was 11? I remember not being able to find any historical adventures that were appropriate for me at that age. Every fiction book I could read was either fantasy, mystery, or had romance. I hated fantasy, was tired of mysteries, and disliked romance. That is why I read so many non-fiction books in my tweens and teens.
Brothers at Arms is almost the opposite of every kid’s book today. It assumes kids
Alicia Willis
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.

This lively, slightly improbable tale takes place in 19th century England. Lawrence and Chester Stoning are twin brothers, but they are as different as can be. Lawrence is an analyzer and deep thinker. Chester is a man's man, a bold fellow with a passionate thirst for gallantry. It is not until Chester follows one of his impetuous schemes and Lawrence dutifully follows him that the two brothers learn what it means to be brothers-in-arms - not brothers-at-arms. This bold tale follows
Olivia
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I first began to read this I hardly expected any of the events in this book to occur. The story reminded me of a Ballantyne book, although Brothers at Arms had more dialogue and was easier to read.

Lawrence and Chester are identical twins, but are about as different as they can get. Lawrence is a book-lover, while Chester is a man of action. When Chester goes off to join the army, Lawrence is told by his father to follow him and bring Chester back safetly. From there their adventures again
Lawrence
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a thrill to read. The descriptions that filled this book were excellent and interesting. I love how the author used different twists in the story line to bring in different and unexpected scenes.

Definitely a five star, recommended read!
Micaiah
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5 stars (because I love this book even after reading it four times)
Ages: 12/13 and up (for mild violence and some description of deaths)

This book is amazing, for more reasons than one. This is John Horn at his best.

Brothers at Arms: Treasure and Treachery in the Amazon is my favorite fictional novel. It combines action, adventure, multi-dimensional (and undercover) villains, suspense, God-honoring principles, and even the smallest bit of clean romance.

The twins, Law and Chester Stoning,
Bekah
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Review to come soon!
Suzannah
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Identical twins Lawrence and Chester Stoning have been brought up by an absent-minded father and socialite mother. Or rather, Lawrence has been brought up carefully (complete with an extensive, no-frills philosophical, historical, scientific, and medical education) while Chester has been left to follow his heart into an action-packed training in all the martial arts and ripping yarns of chivalry and adventure. Each brother disdains the other’s gifts, but when Chester runs away from home Lawrence ...more
Malachi Lining
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is amazing. I was laughing so hard sometimes because of the witty humor, and yet there were some very somber and serious moments. I loved the characters, and won't soon forget them. I love coming back to this book every so often, and enjoy reading all the parts over and over again. This book is an incredible read that will have you sitting and reading for hours on end, late late into the night, wanting to know what happens next. And excellent read!
C.R. Hedgcock
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Brothers at Arms is an enjoyable story with characters one can relate to, villains who are a pleasure to abhor, a heroine with more to admire than good looks, and a race against time through the jungles of Peru. Not only that, but it's also a clean, God-honouring tale with a good conclusion. Simply thrilling.
Cassondra
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just like the other book, The Boy Colonel, this book keeps you on the edge of your seat. You'll either have your heart begin pounding with the many dangers these two brothers face, or you'll be laughing your head off at some of the brothers' escapades...
Amanda
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I shall have to review this sometime later. :P
Ellen
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, this book was suggested to me in high terms by a good friend. I'd been looking for a clean, healthy, and wholesome read, free of romance and filled with God's Truth, and I figured I might as well give "Brothers at Arms" a go.
The first twenty-some chapters dragged to me. The book was not my style, I was tired of Chester and Lawrence's strained relationship, and so far nothing...well...super exciting had happened yet. I was determined to finish the book, however, and boy, am I ever so glad I
Greta Slabach
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I know these are teenage boy books. I knew that without reading them. But I have loved them so much...laughed and cried a little.
They are still favorites, even after so many reads...
Comedy, drama, adventure, brotherly rivalry and love, romance, Christian morals...these books have it all and in a form that all ages can enjoy.
Elijah
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book (along with the other two in the trilogy) were amazing! Well written, and the characters are great! Of course, the plot is really, really good, as well!!! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone!
Katie Robles
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Loved the relationship between the brothers.
Nathan  Wright
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-list
The cleverness and action could earn this book another star, but unfortunately, the serious moments are pretty much blown off in a rush to get back to the action. Still, that's better than if there were no serious moments, so I still found it worthwhile and fun.
Melissa
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Most people ages 10 and up. (There is some violence in it, as you might expect.)
This is an exciting read, hard to put down most of the time!
A few parts seemed a bit unrealistic and/or out of character, but otherwise it's a rip-roaring good read, and sometimes you just have to enjoy the ride. I like the humorous moments and unique character traits. It somewhat reminds me of an Indiana Jones movie (but much better because it was from a Christian perspective). And the epilogue is great--I laughed! There are a few things I could possibly quibble over, but overall it is very
Nathan Dunahoo
Dec 14, 2014 rated it liked it
A bit childish considering the age of the people in the book.
Jeremiah
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. I'll probably reread it again sometime, but for now I think its great and would recommend.
Walter Eddie Estes
Lee Wright
Mar 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Fawkes
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • Sir Rowan and the Camerian Conquest (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #6)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • The Talisman
  • Entwined
  • A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)
  • A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)
  • Illusionarium
  • A Time to Rise (Out of Time, #3)
  • Waterfall (River of Time, #1)
  • The Enchanted Sonata
  • The Fairest Beauty (Hagenheim, #3)
  • The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles, #1)
  • Romanov
  • Wonderland Creek
As the youngest child in a book-loving family, it took me a while to realize that there was such a thing as a boring book.

My special love has been the fiction of 19th-century authors such as G.A. Henty, R.M. Ballantyne, James Fenimore Cooper, Jules Verne, Robert Louis Stevenson, Charles Dickens, and more. Of course, these were imperfect men who wrote imperfect stories, but the themes they

Men of Grit Adventure (3 books)
  • The Boy Colonel: A Soldier Without a Name
  • Secret of the Lost Settlement: The Duty of Warriors
“Listen, I have a plan. It's dangerous, slightly irrational, and probably impossible, but I think it's our only chance.” 0 likes