Start by marking “The Boy Colonel: A Soldier Without a Name” as Want to Read:
The Boy Colonel: A Soldier Without a Name

The Boy Colonel: A Soldier Without a Name

(Men of Grit Adventure #2)

The year is 1836. A mysterious young English soldier known as the Boy Colonel commands a crack regiment in the snowy wastelands of Siberia. No one knows his history. No one knows his name. The Cossacks want him deadbut are they the only ones? It seems his worst enemy may wear an English uniform.

The Boy Colonel strives to perform his duty, but when that duty becomes mixed
Published September 2012 by Vision Forum

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Colonel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Colonel

Start your review of The Boy Colonel: A Soldier Without a Name
Sarah Grace Grzy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sarah Grace by: Micaiah
3.5 stars.

YIKES! Another jampacked action-y novel from John J Horn. New characters, new craziness, new adventures, new relationships. So much fun! Im not sure whether I liked this one or the first book, Brothers at Arms better. I didnt like the charactershumor as much in this one as I did in the first one, but I liked the more personal approach taken with this one, as we really got into the characters thoughts and feelings.
All in all, a crazy fun novel! Not a genre I choose to read all the
Kaitlyn Krispense
*Deep breath* Okay, um . . . I really wanted to give this book four stars. But I just . . . couldn't somehow?

I liked the plot. Really, really liked it, actually. A boy colonel with a background shrouded in mystery, loved by all in his command? And then later is injured (this may sound awful, but I *cough* like it when characters get injured. You can maim themjust don't kill 'em.), and fighting for his life, and *stops before I give away spoilers* um, yes, please!!

But . . . somehow, I could
Alicia Willis
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
13+ for moderate violence.

"The Boy Colonel" is a historical-fiction story of intrigue, adventure, mystery, and romance. I was grateful to find historical accuracy and colorful descriptions within its pages. While reading, I got flashbacks of the black-and-white film "Captain Blood". Certain elements also reminded me of Henty's "With Cortez In Mexico".

I have to admit it took me longer to get into this book than "Brothers At Arms" did. I think this had to do with the fact that I struggled
Buy on Vision Forum or Amazon
Age Appropriate For: 12 and up (mild violence, mild romance)
Best for Ages: 12 and up

Brothers at Arms was so amazing, I couldnt wait to dive into John Horns other book The Boy Colonel. The description sounded fascinating and unlike any books I had read.

There were two things about this book that detracted from my enjoyment. Before I expound on what I did like about the book, I want to address them. The minor one was the fact our main character, as the title suggests,
Bekah
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After hearing good things about this book from others, I decided to pick up this book to read. I was certainly not disappointed. John J. Horn wove a fantastic story that I really enjoyed that was full of intrigue, mystery, and some clean romance.

What I liked: All of the characters were very well developed and they all had me laughing at times, but also sad with them when they were struggling. One of my favorite characters was Liana. I loved her strong Godly character and then how Nobody pursued
Catherine Smith
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-self
This book is outstanding!!! And is currently number one among my faves. The characters are lovable, hateable, and so interesting. It never bored me, in fact, I couldn't put it down!! I was very heartbroken when it ended.

A Fandom has been founded, am I alone?
Greta Slabach
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book and Brothers At Arms are not in the same series, but they are slyly linked in ways that will continue to surprise you.
The more I read Horn, the more I see his little easter eggs. This is one of the most fun things about these books and you have to have a keen eye to catch them.
I've only read two of his three books, but I want to find the other to see if that one is connected too.

This book is similar to Brothers At Arms: adventure, romance, friendship, Christian morals, lots of fighting
Melissa
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Most people ages 12 and up. (There is some violence in it, as you might expect.)
I think I enjoyed this one a little more than Brothers at Arms, though at first I wasn't sure I would, since military battles are not my favorite things to read about. However, the character development, tensions, and mystery of the main character kept me reading--and eventually, a little romance, too. It seemed in some ways more in a classic vein than the other in the series--with more groundwork, descriptions, and sweeping drama--probably the settings helped, too. There were surprising twists. ...more
Daniel
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was my absolute favorite kind of fiction--- historical, including warfare, adventure on land and sea, mystery, chivalry, wholesome romance, and danger from a Christian perspective. I highly enjoyed this book. Very engaging, loved the intense plot and action right up to the end. Horn involves some important Biblical perspectives on morality, courage, warfare, love, honor, culture, and law into the story, which I greatly appreciated. Some of the characters, humor, and descriptions are ...more
Malachi Lining
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have this book for about a year now and never get tired of coming back and reading in it. The humor is great, the Godly morals in it are hard to find in literature, the action is fast-paced and exciting, and the romance is clean and a wonderful addition. This is one of my favorite book sever!
Cassondra
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cassondra by: Teen Boys
This book was epic. There was never a dull moment in this battle-filled book. There is a young colonel in the British army, who has no name...no past, or does he?
Your boys will LOVE this book!
S.G. Dewey
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Amazing book. Full of action, excitement and Godly advice.
Peter Hamilton
Apr 19, 2016
Kerissa Morgan
Apr 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • Sir Rowan and the Camerian Conquest (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #6)
  • Fawkes
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • Entwined
  • A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)
  • Candle in the Darkness (Refiner's Fire, #1)
  • Waterfall (River of Time, #1)
  • Romanov
  • Wonderland Creek
  • Illusionarium
  • A Time to Rise (Out of Time, #3)
  • The Fairest Beauty (Hagenheim, #3)
  • The Enchanted Sonata
  • A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)
As the youngest child in a book-loving family, it took me a while to realize that there was such a thing as a boring book.

My special love has been the fiction of 19th-century authors such as G.A. Henty, R.M. Ballantyne, James Fenimore Cooper, Jules Verne, Robert Louis Stevenson, Charles Dickens, and more. Of course, these were imperfect men who wrote imperfect stories, but the themes they

Men of Grit Adventure (3 books)
  • Brothers at Arms: Treasure & Treachery in the Amazon