Start by marking “The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)

The Falconer (The Falconer #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  12,115 Ratings  ·  2,043 Reviews
One girl's nightmare is this girl's faery tale

She's a stunner.
Edinburgh, 1844. Eighteen-year-old Lady Aileana Kameron, the only daughter of the Marquess of Douglas, has everything a girl could dream of: brains, charm, wealth, a title—and drop-dead beauty.

She's a liar.
But Aileana only looks the part of an aristocratic young lady. she's leading a double life: She has a rare
Hardcover, UK, 317 pages
Published September 26th 2013 by Gollancz (first published September 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Falconer, please sign up.
Ruby Yes, for sure. There's an interesting dynamic between Aileana and her Fae Mentor, Kirian, and she's interested and dancing around a relationship with…moreYes, for sure. There's an interesting dynamic between Aileana and her Fae Mentor, Kirian, and she's interested and dancing around a relationship with her best friend's older brother, Gavin.(less)
Emily There is a little bit of language - but not near as much as say, a John Green book or the Fifth Wave. The words used were mild but frequent. There is…moreThere is a little bit of language - but not near as much as say, a John Green book or the Fifth Wave. The words used were mild but frequent. There is lots of tension but never goes further than kissing.(less)

Elizabeth May
Nov 02, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
September 26 edit: The book is out in the UK! It's lurking in your bookshops! *tosses confetti*

September 6 2013 edit: The first two chapters of THE FALCONER are now posted to sample! Check out the Gollancz Blog for chapter 2!

Hi Goodreads people!

The first chapter of THE FALCONER is now available to read over on SciFiNow!

I'm glad so many of you enjoyed my pre-release pictorial presentation on here, but I've made the decision to remove it for these reasons:

1. ARCs have gone out into the world! Rea
Samantha
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2018
This has themes and tropes that remind me of Buffy, and I was hooked. Fast-paced, Buffy with fae, in 1800s steampunk Scotland. Oh and there is an angsty romance with lots of banter. But warning... this book ends in a cliffhanger. So now I'm off to buy the second one :)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Faefever lite.

This was not a bad book, but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who has read and loved the Faefever series unless you enjoy constantly being hit on the head with dueling comparisons.

It doesn't help that Kiaran's last name is MacKay. I couldn't help but chuckle every time I saw it. Also, Aileana...so similar to Alina.

The parallels are too obvious, and I felt that the setting, characters, and conflict are overwhelmingly shadowed by the superiority of the Fever series. There's also
Katerina
“I'm like him.I'm a monster,too.”

Historical fiction meets steampunk.They fall in love,they get married and they go for their honeymoon to Scotland,the magical land of wild beauty and alluring lore.Everything is perfect,until the bloodthirsty fae find them.Hunted and on the run,they give birth to their love child.The Falconer.
“Crimson suits you best.”

The Falconer.A female warrior,born to kill the fae.Except Aileana's the last one of them,and she has a crumbling social life and reputation
C.G. Drews
This was full of stabbing, bloody faeries, murderous girls and the occasional explosion...so I obviously ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I'm kicking myself for taking so long to read this?! It was a pure delight with fantastic characters and the kind of bloody stabbtastic plot I need. And holy heck so much sociopathic faerie feral wildness going down. Yesssss thanks.

Although I have to say what the HECK WAS THAT ENDING.
Talk about a frikkin' non-ending omg. I need book 2 like I need air and I don't have it s
Navessa

Wow. Just...WOW. I am utterly blown away by this book. Mostly, I’m blown away by the fact that Karen Marie Moning, author of my once-beloved Fever series, did not throw a massive shitfit when this was published.

Even though I'd been warned of the similarities between the two, by both Khanh and Sarah, I thought I'd enjoy this, because I was in the mood to read some Fever fanfic. This does not read like fanfic. This reads like something else entirely.

Because this review is too long to fit into th
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Didn't really care for this one at all. I wasn't captured by the story or anything so it was just kind of meh.
Kat Kennedy
I was hanging out with my good friend, Elizabeth May. We were riding unicorns along a deserted beach as our hair whipped in the wind, occasionally strands of her red and my brown locks blending together. We gazed lovingly together as we rode, smiling as joy filled our hearts in an almost mutual amount.

When we pulled our unicorns to a break, having reached the peak of a cliff overlooking the sea, I took an opportunity to ask her a question.

“Elizabeth,” I said whimsically as I gazed out at the set
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at 77% (pretty impressive huh?)

Laaaaaaaaaadies & Gentlemeeeeeen!

☆☆ Why-The-Hell-Did-I-Try-To-Read-This Productions proudly present ☆☆

FEVER. DECAFFEINATED.

☻It won't keep you reading until 4 am!
☻It won't make you want to throw away your underwear across the room!
☻Now stress-free!
☻Now angst-free!
☻Faint-of-heart enabled!
☻In a steampunk setting!
☻Amidst the exotic landscapes of beautiful Scotland!
☻With a teenage MC!
A dream come true!

Why bother with the real lethal deal when you can enjo
Lia Bonnibel  (pidgey)
Sometimes the memories we cling hardest to, are the ones that hurt us the most.

Before you read this review, I must warn you that it might contain spoilers, or better, things or facts that some people might consider so. Since I don't know you all's take on what's a spoiler and what's not, I'll try to keep it as vague as possible and tag when I have to.

The Falconer is my second attempt at reading something about Faes and their magical and intricated world and, not gonna lie, I approached the su
Kiki
I hate the Victorian era. I find it excruciatingly boring. Here's some taffeta and high tea and let's have masked balls and let me carry my parasol and oh, fie! What do you make of these new inventions?

I hate the Victorian era because it's so overdone. You know what else is overdone? You know what else I'm sick of? London. Before any of you get into a flap - particularly any of you who know me - let me preface that by saying that London is the shiz. London absolutely rocks. Have you been to Lond
Pouting Always
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aileana is a upper class Scottish girl living in 1844, recently back out on the social scene a year after her mother's death. Though before she fit into it all seamlessly, after watching a faery murder her mother she has become changed. She has spent the past year training with another one of the fae, Kiaran, to kill the fae. I think with books a lot of times there's this trade off between the writing and the story telling and honestly I would much rather have good story telling than good writin ...more
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
*Full review update*
This was quite the pleasant surprise. Scotland? Steampunk? A dark heroine that slays? Why yes, thank you. Magic? Fae? Seelie/Unseelie Courts? Heck yes, I'll take them all.

We start off with a broken heroine- which is how I like them best. I find that I connect with MC's when I catch them in their moments of weakness- and Aileana drew me in quickly. She's cold and barely hanging onto her humanity when we first meet her. It's been a year since her mother was murdered; since she
Emily May

2.5
Goodreads members have differing opinions on what kind of rating is the hardest to write a review for. Some say it's the ones they didn't like - perhaps trying to keep a balance between their own subjective dislikes and the overall general standard of the book; some say it's the all time favourites - how can you put that kind of book love into words? For others, myself included, it's those annoying books that sit right in the middle. Those books that are okay. Fine. Overwhelmingly average. W
Sana
*Edit: 5/9/17
Screw it, I'm bumping it up to 4.5 stars.
----
3.5 stars!

This books was a lot of fun. I doubt it's anything new, but it was fun and I enjoyed reading this so much. When I saw the words "murder" and "covered in blood" from the first page, I knew I was going to love this. I binge read this even though it was frigging 12 p.m and I had to sleep. But forget sleep when you have this book. This book isn't the best thing in the world and I had a lot of problems with it, but it's still a go
Jennifer Armentrout
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. God.

I don't know what to say. Other than this has to be my favorite young adult paranormal/fantasy/whatever they are calling it so far this year. And that's saying something because I'm not a huge fan of fae books other than the Iron Fey series and this book is NOTHING like that. It kind of reminds me of the Fever series, but for young adult. It's nothing like that plot or what not, but it has that hard edge, ya know. This book is so different it terms of what's out there in the YA marke
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔
I *really* hate to do this with a book I got through Netgalley, but... DNF at 32%. I *really* wanted to like this. I tried. I did. Why didn't I like this? I don't quite know. There was just something... generic about it. I felt nothing for the main character. I could not connect to the plot or the heroine whatsoever. (By the way, I didn't think this was much like the Fever series at all except for the barrier in the fae world collapsing that only one special human could fix. I read where some sa ...more
Daiane
Actual Rating: 4.5

This book is awesome!!!!

Review coming soon :D
Simona Bartolotta
"For this instant, I am whole again."

This book was a surprise. You should know that generally, steampunk and I don't get along well. I had two horrible experiences with The Illumination Paradox and The Iron Fey series and as a consequence I came to think of the steampunk genre as a cheap one (to those of you you are now screaming Heresy!, I apologize. It's just that the connection is kind of automatic in my mind now. You think I don't regret it?). Of course I've read also pretty good things lik
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

There is no easy way to say this, but this was actually painful to force myself to finish.

Khanh said it perfectly with “Faefever lite ” in her review, because that is exactly what this is. Like, to the point where I'm honestly surprised there is no legal issues with Karen Marie Moning.

Please, if you have already read The Fever Series and enjoyed it, steer clear of this book because it will only infuriate you. If you
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Annnnnnnd this book enters my top ten of favorites. 😍
I NEEEEEEED MORE. and will write a proper review at some point. 😏

Read this for the angsty fae goodness.
Natalie Monroe

"None of them—including Catherine—realizes that the rumor isn't inaccurate, only understated. I've committed murder exactly one hundred and fifty-eight times in twelve months. My tally now grows almost every night."

Dark heroine, dark heroine, DARK HEROINE.

I mentioned I've been really into dastardly characters these days and The Falconer was perfect. It's a story of revenge, of breaking free of societal constraints and embracing inner strength.

The atmospheric setting of Victorian Lond
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

O.M.G

description

WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST READ??? IT WAS...

description

AILEANA THE MAIN CHARACTER WAS SO BAD ASS AWESOME!!

description

ME THROWING A FIT UNTIL BOOK TWO RELEASES!

~~~~~~EDIT REVIEW~~~~~~

5 Stars

THE FALCONER was PHENOMENAL!!! From it's Scotland lure, to it's vengeance and murder, to it's THRILLING, action-packed adventure, and heart-pounding, slow burning romance, that sent heat rising, and toes curling, THE FALCONER was exceptional, and did NOT disappoint!!!

THE FALCONER is inde
Katerina Kondrenko
7 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog Living A Thousand Lives (please use Chrome/Yandex browser or Android/IOS to see the page; otherwise, spoiler-tags I use to make my post compact may not work)

Short-Soundtrack:

Love-Geometry
Fables&Wren
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WrensReads Review:

This book reminds me a lot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And by that I mean nothing with the story and everything to do with who 18 year old Lady Aileana Kameron, the only daughter of the Marquess of Douglas truly is: A Falconer.

Falconer: a female warrior born with gifts to hunt/kill fae.
..or really a Vampire Slayer minus the vampire and plus the fae.

So we have steampunk,

based in Scotland.

So just add a red-headed warrior-heroine,

sprinkle in a pixie,

and a lot of faes.

And you have
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
What the hell was that kind of a ending? You can't just end a book like that!? I have no clue what happened :O!
Nastassja

My crusade "give a book second chance" continues, and after Red Queen I am back to faeries. The first time I read The Falconer I couldn't move past 15% of the story, because steam-punk part kept driving me nuts. I think it's clinical. Me and this genre exist in different universes and we can't find a way to tolerate each other. This time, I decided to clench my teeth and fight through my dislike. I read negative and positive reviews on this book and after finally reading the named book, I can sa

Gabry
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scozia, fate, protagonista femminile badass fin dalla prima pagina ed una fata maschio dagli occhi viola, misterioso e bellissimo.

Avanti, come potevo non amarlo?
Dianne
There’s a fresh voice in the YA fantasy world and Elizabeth May isn’t afraid to mix it up, including, old Scottish lore, some steampunk, a touch of grit and light romance and one heck of a heroine, a young lady far too independent for the mid-nineteenth century aristocracy. THE FALCONER is a highly intriguing tale filled with spirit and delightful twists!

While her father plans her betrothal, Aileana has plans of her own, plans of revenge against the faery that killed her mother right before her
Ananya Singh
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quench
4.5
DaRn iT! Is this how this ended? All I can think about now is how to grab the next book. I might die of the suspense..... of thinking what happens next?
This book certainly surprised me. A kick-ass protagonist? Yes! A story that is breathtaking? well, yes to that too. Magic and Scottish people? Oh, hell yes. And soo much more. I never imagined it to be this good. It was almost perfect.

The Falconer is the story of Aileana Kameron, a young aristocratic woman in 1844 Scotland. She lives the idle
  • Fireblood (Fireblood, #1)
  • Cinders & Sapphires (At Somerton, #1)
  • Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor, #1)
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus Wars, #2)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)
  • Copperhead (Ironskin, #2)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
  • The Inventor's Secret (The Inventor's Secret #1)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
  • Bronze Gods (Apparatus Infernum, #1)
  • All That Glows (All That Glows, #1)
  • The Girl with the Iron Touch (Steampunk Chronicles, #3)
***If you'd like to send me a message, please do so via e-mail to ensure I read it. :) elizabethmaywrites[at]gmail[dot]com***

Elizabeth May currently resides in Edinburgh, Scotland, with her husband. THE FALCONER is her début novel.

Follow her on Twitter @_ElizabethMay or visit her website www.elizabethmaywrites.com

____

A note on my ratings and reviews: I don't love every book I read. But I only rat
More about Elizabeth May

The Falconer (3 books)
  • The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer, #2)
  • The Fallen Kingdom (The Falconer, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“You know my mother thinks the waltz is indecent."

"Your mother would find the sight of a chair leg indecent.”
45 likes