Start by marking “Runaway Heart” as Want to Read:
Runaway Heart

Runaway Heart

Spirited Chelsea decided she’d sooner run away to London than return to her vain and selfish guardian, Aunt Augusta.
But in her wildest dreams, she never imagined her dear godmother would arrange a Season—or convince the ton’s most eligible bachelor to take her under his wing.

Lord Wainwright was a handsome rogue who was not interested in coy games and miss
Published September 24th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc. (first published September 30th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Runaway Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway Heart

Start your review of Runaway Heart
angela
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

This was a wonderful romance. My favorite character was Chelsea, she’s so innocent, yet full of strength, determination and quite smart. She certainly knew how to get her way. Although, all the characters were great and interesting.

This book was definitely worth the read and I definitely enjoyed it.
Amanda
It always frustrates me when I read a book that could have been great with a little (or a lot of) editing. The trustee and the godmother spent an inordinate amount of time saying over and over, "She's been mistreated. We didn't know. Augusta lied to us." Really. We got it the first time.

And what's with the "feelings" everyone is getting? It's even written that way. "She got a 'feeling' when he was around." Even the clean romances I've read don't say that. And come to find out, this is far from
Dione Sage
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was a surprise! Found this short story on Smashwords (for free) and even though there was one steamy scene for the most part it was an amazing 1800's romance! Just my type of story. How I really do admire a gallant but not to innocent and pure gentleman that sweeps a sweet, witty and charming heroine off her feet! This is my first Claudy Conn story but I would say that it is very impressive. Most of the time I would be a little put off by scenes or POVs that don't have the smoothest of ...more
Lori
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was beyond words to me, and definitely deserves 6 stars. :)

Claudy Conn definitely knocks another one right out of the park. From start to finish I was completely hooked. I totally fell in love with Chelsea and think that she is by far my favorite historical heroine so far. She was so relatable and I'm sure that everyone will find a little of yourself in her.

The story and characters that unfolded were amazing and I was totally pulled into their world. I definitely recommend this book
Kath
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous Historical Romance, had me hooked from the first page.
Chelsea a young innocent little minx, who said just what she thought most of the time. Sam her best friend, their playfull teasing, so made me laugh. Was Sam the one for Chelsea ? or was it the very charming Lord Brett Wainwright who had been asked to squire Chelsea about in her first London season. Some twists n turns as the path of true love rarely runs smooth. I thoroughly enjoyed .... hope you read it too.
Vicki
I'm a sucker for historical regency romance for sure! This was my first Claudy Conn read and I liked it. I loved the characters and the time frame (1800's) in London. Chelsea is rather young and naive, who is a little outspoken, but perhaps learning when/how to talk takes time and maturity.

One of the characters that really helped make the story for me is her best friend, Sam. Sam and Chelsea had a lot of good, laughable scenes that I loved.

And of course there's that gentlemanly man: Lord Brett
Coco.V
Aug 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (8/1/2019)! 🎁
Dawn Sullivan
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Claudy has done it again in this light hearten love story. She has the ability to bring you back in time with her writing.
The vivid details form a exciting scenes in my mind making me feel as if I was in the story the whole time.

This story was extremely well written. This characters in this book had so much passion. I had lots of hilarious laughs while reading this. This pace flowed perfectly.

Brett, a daring, confident, handsome man. He is somewhat of a rogue. He is known as a ladies man. He
Andrea
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Runaway Heart, takes you for a spin and around the block. Through the love, hate relationships, and the underlying ones as well, Claudy Conn, in Runaway Heart brings you to the top of heartache and the to the downfall of miss guided presumptions, and back up again. Claudy's writing style is easily read, but just as polished as Lord Wainwright's shiny shoes. And the characters of Wainwright and Chelsea are relatable, yet different than many other regency characters I have had the experience of re ...more
Jennifer Moody
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My Opinion:

I wasn't sure if I would like this book, not because of the author or any other reasons but one its a romance book. I don't read romance books unless its a paranormal romance genre. I find romance books are boring and have no point to them well I think this book has changed my mind. Who knew this short story book would change my mind about romance! Anyways, back to the what the book was about. I first started out feeling bad for Chelsea and the life she was living by being
Judy
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Runaway Heart by Claudy Conn
Orphaned and neglected by her hateful aunt, Chelsea Halloway is still in the care of Mrs. Farthing at her boarding school, even though she’s almost nineteen. When she’s told that she will be returning to Aunt Augusta, Chelsea quickly gets her good friend Sam Martin to help her escape so she can find and speak to her trustee, Lord Rupurt Lytton. Before she knows it Chelsea is the belle of London thanks to her godmother, Aunt Daisy and Lytton.

Lord Bre
Franjessca
Full Review posted on Book Lovin' Mamas

The villains in the story are ruthless, and it seems it is a family trait.  They will do anything to get what they want.
Claudy Conn knows how to transport you back in time where men tried everything to sweep a woman off their feet so they can marry them.  I will say this; Lord Wainwright can sweep me off my feet anytime.  I'm jealous over Chelsea.
The steamy scenes between the characters will require you taking a cold shower afterward though,
Nicole Garcia
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking Romance!!!!!!

What a divine romantic story. This was my first regency romance and the first book I read by Claudy Conn. I loved the characters in this book. Chelsea is a very strong willed young woman. I love this because in this time period women are supposed to meek and let the man lead. I admire Chelsea who dares to be different. She is tenacious, sassy, and always speaks her mind. Her determination to seek what she wants gets her into some pretty uncomfortable predicaments. I a
Frankiejohnny
Nov 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Free Kindle
HOT romance
Historical - Regency

Set in Regency England, but used terms like "cock" and "hard-on". It took me out of the 1800's. Also I had a hard time with the dialog changes from heroine to villain. The author back tracked to get the villain’s side of the same events. A little back tracking is fine, but when you completely redo the scene it is distracting. Yes, I know he used chloroform on a handkerchief... you don't need to spell it out, along with his history
Natalie
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Runaway hearts is a lovely romance story set in the Regency period. I loved the history, the vocabulary and the narrated way the characters would have spoken in those days! Full of light-hearted humour, passion and adventure, it’s a lovely little story.

We meet Chelsea an orphaned young woman, still at school after her friends left a year ago, who has been neglected by her Aunt Augusta, a horrid woman, only interested in herself and who she beds.

With the help of her good f
Don
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you like women characters that are smart, brave, plucky, adventurous, and never hesitant to speak their mind in a "tell it like it is" manner, you will love Chelsea and this book. The setting was in the 18th Century with historical figures such as Beau Brummell and Lady Jersey as well as sightings of Byron and the Prince Regent. This book had many exciting twists and turns. Scary at times, but very exciting as Chelsea seemed to always be in control of her life, as well as everything happening ...more
Crystal Yawn
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review is from: RUNAWAY HEART (Kindle Edition)
This was an enchanting quick read. My first attempt at regency romance. It took longer to get through because of looking up words for definitions, plus a discussion with friends on weather chit is good or bad (still not sure).
Overall i enjoyed the book. Will read more of this genre in the future. I enjoyed the conversations very much. The old english was very different.
I enjoyed the spunkyiness of Chelsea's character. Here mann
Laura Young
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another story by Claudy Conn, so easy to fall in love with. This book review has been a fight for the world, and finally I got it up!

Chelsea was so very easy to connect and fall in love with. She has to live with her cruel guardian, (Who is easy to hate.) she's sharp and witty, what else can a heroine need to be amazing? A plot line that can amuse you through the night, a quick read worth picking up.
If you want a Regency Historical Romance this is a read to look at.
Michael
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another hit by Claudy. The characters in this book seem so real that they could be your next door neighbors. The book held my attention and I could not put it down. I'm sure you will enjoy this book and I also recommend it.
Melanie Tikalsky
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good story. True to Claudy Conn form, you fall in love with the characters pretty quick. The heroine is strong willed with a good moral background. The hero and villain are well developed as well. Another hit for Claudy Conn! yay!
Jamie Palmer
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good reading. Chelsea is a very cheekie character.
Claudy Conn
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Available at Smashwords and all romance for FREEE.
Later it will be avail at Barnes and Amazon for free.
Mette
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story was cozy, but the writing immature.
Misty Baker
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
** A 2.5 Review **
My Dad (who to this day remains to be one of the most brilliant men I know) has this funny thing he does when he introduces me to people. It used to drive me crazy, but the older I get, the more I appreciated it. Instead of the generic: “This is my daughter Misty” my father chooses hyperbole. “Oh! This is my daughter Misty. Beware of verbal battles, she never loses.” Like I said before, this used to drive me crazy. In short, I thought it was his passive aggressive way of
Hillari Delgado
Nov 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oh, my.

Ms. Conn writes with verve and passion. But there are significant flaws in this self-published work that do not allow me to recommend it in its current configuration.

Most of the difficulties could be resolved by a rewrite under the direction of an editor. There are any many, many paragraphs of backstory, much 'telling,' a wandering POV, historical anachronisms (e.g. 'her newly installed Regency-styled desk') and inconsistent characterizations. The plot is unbalanced; characte
Gaby
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Posted at Oh My Books!

I downloaded Runaway Heart free from Amazon (I think it's still free), and it was a nice surprise!

Chelsea is a spirited young lady, who has been forgotten by her guardian Aunt Augusta, and she won't take it anymore. She decided to run away to London with her best friend, but she never thought she her godmother would take her under her wing and arrange a Season for her.

Chelsea starts as a very naive girl but soon learns to flirt, and Lord Wainwrigh
Steph at  Starry Night Book Reviews
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favortie-s
This was is wonderful book about a young woman coming of age that was pretty much tossed away by her aunt and sent to a boarding school and forgot about. Chelsea is young innocent little minx, who says whatever is on her mind most of the time. Her best friend is Sam, I love the way they tease one another all the time. But who will she chose her best friend or the rogue of a man who was assigned to escort her around?

I’m a huge fan of Regency Romance books and I have to say I loved Claudy Conn’s
Trish R.
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this..

This was such a great story. Chelsea was so bright and cheerful and funny all the time, you couldn’t help but adore her (and her best friend Sam.) Wainwright fought his feelings for Chelsea through almost all the book, which was funny to read. I think I liked Aunt Daisy and Lord Lytton as much as Chelsea and Wainwright.

I have to tell ya’ I didn’t think Augusta and her brother Patrick got what they deserved. That was a real bummer.

There was 1 explicit sex scene
Ivy H
I enjoyed this. The heroine was great and the hero was an asshole manwhore who had had an affair with the heroine's late uncle's second wife. Augusta, the aunt, was a really dirty slut who used to cheat on the uncle and who had orgy parties after he died. I couldn't get over how the hero could have lowered himself to sleep with this evil human cum dumpster mattress. She was so jealous of the heroine's youth and beauty that she became even more evil and vindictive when the hero dumped and ignored ...more
Cheesecake
I'm really liking this author's books. There are quite a few available free which I always appreciate if I haven't read someone before. This one I bought because the storyline sounded like my cup of tea. It was just what I hoped it would be. A strong yet innocent heroine, a sexy yet jaded hero, some good side characters and an evil OW. The hero discounts Chelsea at first, but gradually he falls for her almost against his will. 'Cause she's just so captivating of course! A fun read and I look for ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count 2 228 Jul 31, 2019 07:41AM
The Free Book Cha...: Runaway Heart, by Claudy Conn 5 18 Jun 19, 2013 12:41PM

• The Lady's Dangerous Love (The Langley Sisters #6)
  • A Study in Scandal (Scandalous, #3.5)
  • Reason to Wed (Distinguished Rogues, #7)
  • The Duke of Fire: Regency Hearts Book 1
  • Not So Sweet Maria (Sisters By Marriage #1)
  • The Lady to Match a Rogue: Faith (The Baggington Sisters Book 4)
  • The Rogue and The Earl's Temptation (Rogues and Gentlemen)
  • Only a Duke Would Dare  (Seductive Scoundrels, #2)
  • Weddings and Scandals: Regency Romance Collection
  • A Lady and Her Magic (Faerie, #1)
  • Lady Lou the Highwayman - A Regency Romance (The Drummond Series Book 1)
  • You and No Other (St. Briac, #1)
  • Her Muse, Lord Patrick
  • A Duke for Daisy (The Blooming Brides Book 1)
  • An Earl's Redemption (Brides of London)
  • Love Forever After
  • The Awakening of Lord Ambrose (The Lost Lords #6)
  • Scandal's Child
“Forbidden fruit is always very intriguing...though never as tasty as one imagined it would be.” 26 likes
“I shall love you from this life into the next. Whither you go, I go, my very own heart and soul” 2 likes