Start by marking “Flirting with Maybe” as Want to Read:
Flirting with Maybe

Flirting with Maybe

He was fifteen and she was seventeen.

When sophomore Ryan "The Kid" McPhearson makes the Varsity baseball team, he finds himself submersed into the life of upperclassmen, and falling in love with senior Brooke Bennet. To Ryan she's his dream girl, perfect. Maybe to the outside world a two-year age difference doesn't matter, but this is high school. Everything matters.

Ryan
Published March 5th 2013 by HarperTeenImpulse

To ask other readers questions about Flirting with Maybe, please sign up.
Sandra Inscoe I actually haven't read it yet, But I haven't read anything she's written that I don't absolutely LOVE!!!

Start your review of Flirting with Maybe
Wendy Higgins
Oct 04, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Eep! This will be my first published contemporary/realistic YA fiction! When HarperTeen bought my 2nd and 3rd books, they also asked if I could write a novella for their new Impulse line of ebooks. It was perfect timing because I'd actually been thinking about revisiting a short story I wrote for a college class. So I pulled out that story, dusted it off, and had a blast expanding it into a novella. The original title was TOYS since everyone seems to be toying with each other and Ryan drives a " ...more
Fafiliebe ♥ Warner ♥ Raffe ♥
Me before reading the epilogue..

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

breath.breath.breath..

Me after reading the epilogue..............

WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazyyyyyyyyyy ....

the world is soooo prettyyyyy...

Wow i used so many gifs.. Oh well.. i blame wendy.. :P
Wendyyy I LOVE YOU.........

Warning: I skipped some scenes... So it contains skips..
SyaSya Syed Nasir
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story is very short but it was so good! So damn good! How I wish she would continue this story. As usual, Wendy Higgins had never disappoint me. 😊
Susan's Reviews
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the sweetest story (a novella, really)!
Ryan is younger than Brooke by almost two years, and in high school this makes all the difference. They become friends and Ryan just falls deeper under her spell as time goes by. When she breaks up with her boyfriend, he offers to take her to senior prom: he tells her that night, as he is driving her home, that one day he will marry her. She is fond of him, but can't take him seriously.
Brooke goes off to college and Ryan tries to move on, but he
Nyrae Dawn
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's Wendy Higgins so how can it not be amazing? FLIRTING WITH MAYBE is a fun, sweet, romance that I couldn't help but devour. I wouldn't have minded a guy like Ryan falling for me when I was in high school :)
Katy
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story was sweet, but really, it was just okay. I’m a sucker for the good friend finally getting the girl at the end, especially when it’s the case where she never realized what was in front of her all along.

Still, I wish “Ry” had been a little more tough - not only with Brooke but also with Michelle. And I’m kind of disappointed that Higgins made Brooke the cliched damsel in distress character that has the overused reasons for not trusting guys. I think the combination of the two robbed from
Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wendy Higgins wrote it? Of course I would read it, It was a good short story :) happy to see an older girl/younger boy relationship
 photo tumblr_inline_mimxf6nUE11qz4rgp_zpsd1ef3a0f.gif

So... first chapter of Sweet Peril(the real reason why I wanted to read this , sorry:))
 photo tumblr_inline_mi19olDmfo1qz4rgp_zpsfc841634.jpg
 photo tumblr_inline_mi4rjijbZk1qz4rgp_zps3e91186d.gif
first Iron man 3 new trailer and then this!!!
 photo tumblr_inline_mhvpkfkYJU1qz4rgp_zps64626b6e.gif
Nina
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this story. Even though it's only a little over 90 pages long this novella manages to cover a time span of 3 years without feeling rushed or unbelievable. Ryan is a sweet guy who developes from an awkward and shy 15yo to a really great guy you can't help but like. Brooke with her troubled past and personal issues is just as likeable (if not as much as Ryan).
The only thing that made it a 4 star read instead of 5 is that the ending kind of snuck up on me. It's my and my kindles fault reall
Isabella
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing

OH *SIGHS* this story was... Perfect. Romantic, romantic, OH SO ROMANTIC! I can't stop all these fuzzy feelings I'm, well, feeling and... God, Higgins, you have me. I'll read your other books, but you PLEASE write something else like this. PLEASE. I need it.

I'm currently like this:

Kristi
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-ebook
i loved it! it was much to short, but i guess that's what a novella is all about, i just wanted more of these characters!

Wendy Higgins has a new fan!
Reign
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Short story about high school romance that started out as a crush. Meh. Just a prep for more books I'll read soon.
Lucy Qhuay

I love Wendy Higgins and her books so freaking much!

I usually hate every single novella and short book I read, exactly due to the short length.

I just feel everything is rushed and fake and I end up hating it.

But, Wendy made me love her novella.

I loved Ryan and Brooke's story so freaking much!

Ryan is totally swoon-worthy! I feel so sorry for the pain he felt when his feelings were not taken seriously and then when he watched Brooke pull away from him.

Just heartbreaking!

How could Brooke not see ea
Ari
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: n-a
Such a cute novella. In the beginning I couldn't stop giggling ;))
Also it reminded me of funny high-school drama and parties, and best friends.. Maybe I miss those times more than I thought I would.

Also, it's funny because my husband is around 2 years younger than me as well. I met him when I finished high-school and I still wonder if things would have worked out the same if we had met earlier (you see, it's true.. 2 years seem like a lot when you are in school, and girls don't quite rush into r
Brooke
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A sweet novella about first crushes, friendships and how life seems to never end beyond high school. Ryan was a sweetie and Brooke was a young girl fighting to find herself in all the wrong ways. Def recommend!
Andreea Pop
Wendy Higgins did it again! Flirting with Maybe is a quick, light and wonderful read!! Top notch entertaining material. I recommend it to romantic people!
Mary
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such a quick sweet read, takes you back to school days and your true love.
Wendy did amazing, I did kinda wanted this to be a bit longer but Wendy's book do that to me, I can never get enough!
Jen
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Knowing that Wendy Higgins can write smexy times in YA, I was curious to pick up Flirting with Maybe. Although I wasn’t the biggest fan of Sweet Evil, it’s always intriguing to see an author write in a different genre than what they’re used to writing. Being a novella, Flirting with Maybe was certainly a short, quick and cute read, but nothing more.

Three main points about my opinions with this short story:

- Time went by way too fast in this book. Just short of 100 pages, this book took place in
Koliie
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What I thought of this..

Well, what did I think of it?
First (Be ready. It's gonna be looong sister) Ryan.
I can not express the love I feel for you!! I would die for you. you are sooooo perfect! Marry me!! Forget Brooke and be mine! Pleaseeeeee!!!! We were meant to be!! Can't you see. You+me=perfection! its as easy as that!!!!!! *Shouts from roof top* OH RYAN I LOVEEEEEE YOU!!!

Yes. This boy has me crazy. And why you ask? 'cause he is so sweet and nice and so REAL!! He is what every girl would lov
Jonababez
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
A wonderful short story! Everyone should read the epilogue, and you'll love it! Yay! It got me teary-eyed. ;)
Aisha (seetheworldwithbooks)
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dear God, could you put a Ryan into my non-existent romance life? 💕💕 i will be happy forever if i have a guy as nice as Ryan i swear 💕
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, novella
I wasn't sure what I was going to get from this book. I didn't read any blurbs, just knew it was Wendy and have only heard good things about her writing. So I figured I would dive right in and see what it was all about. So glad I did.

Blurb from Goodreads:
He was fifteen and she was seventeen.
Karina {witchling wanderer}
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
More reviews at A Reader Under The Sea

I remembered that I simply wanted to get this novel because it had an excerpt to Sweet Peril (The second book to the Sweet Trilogy also by Wendy Higgins). But then I actually ended up loving this. It was such a cute little love story. And I was so sad because it ended up being so short when I wished it was a full length novel. But even though it's not, I still go back and re-read it because that's how much I enjoy it. It never gets tiring. It's not that o
Maria Franco
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I loved Ryan I thought he was a sweet guy who definitely did not deserve to be so controlled by Michelle though I understand that she had problems of her own. What I didn't like about the story was Brooke. She played with Ryan, used him and then expected everything to be okay. Actually, she played all guys and then complained that they treated her like meat and used her. I didn't like how she was so weak. She never stood up for herself except to go to the college of her choice but once she got t ...more
Jenny
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Flirting With Maybe is a beautiful novella from Wendy Higgins, packing an emotional punch in a very short amount of time and giving us two impressively developed characters who ensure we’re invested in the outcome of their relationship from the very first page. The brightly colored cover and cute title suggest a story lighter in tone, but the reality of Brooke and Ryan’s friendship and romance is a bit darker than expected, the pain of a love unrequited for a time chipping away at us until we’re ...more
Deanna VanSciver
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I guess I can't really say I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this read. Wendy Higgins is an amazing author and this novella is proof of that. I would have given this 5 stars, however, I was completely thrown off when the end, was well, the end. I didn't expect things to finish off in Ryan's room. I thought maybe there would be just a little bit more. Now, I have to read the Epilogue. I can't wait :)

UPDATE:
So after reading the Epilogue, I had to correct my rating. 5 stars hands down :) Wen
Son
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
ooohhhhh i like it.. it's amazing how for such a short novella how connected to the characters i felt...i suppose that just goes to show how great of a writer Wendy Higgins is...and now i am desperately hanging out for Sweet Peril after that little teaser at the end.... DAMN DAMN DAMN hurry up April..
Jess (the cozy reader)
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a nice short story. I kind of wish it was a full length novel. I loved how Ryan really understood Brooke when no one else did.

Oh yeah... The prologue and first chapter of Sweet Peril was a wonderful treat.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
3 Stars for the novella...
5 Stars for the prologue and first chapter of Sweet Peril.

description
Calatasde
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The intentions
of his heart were clear. He’d long
ago stopped believing their someday would
come. Now it was here, against all odds, and
whether or not Brooke knew it, he intended
to turn someday into forever.
Nina Poslosky
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The story was so sweet I just loved it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Scorched (Frigid, #2)
  • The Avery Shaw Experiment (Science Squad, #1)
  • Crush (Crash, #3)
  • A is for Abstinence (V is for Virgin #2)
  • Serial Hottie
  • Ain't She Sweet?
  • Fancy Pants (Wynette, Texas, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • V is for Virgin (V is for Virgin, #1)
  • Smaragdgrün (Edelstein-Trilogie, #3)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)
  • Preston's Honor
  • Saphirblau (Edelstein-Trilogie, #2)
  • Shuffle, Repeat
  • Outmatched
  • Finding My Way (Beaumont #4)
  • Finding My Forever (Beaumont #3)
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
Wendy Higgins is the USA Today and NY Times bestselling author of the SWEET EVIL series from HarperTeen, the high fantasy duology THE GREAT HUNT, her independently published Irish Fantasy SEE ME, and her indie NA science fiction UNKNOWN trilogy.
After earning a Creative Writing degree from George Mason University and a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction from Radford, Wendy taught high school Eng

News & Interviews

“That's not going to happen, because I love you. If anyone's getting their heart broken here, it's me. Not you.” 9 likes
“I'm going to marry you someday, Brooke.” 9 likes