Start by marking “The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane” as Want to Read:
The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane

The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane

This year's lucky winner of a brand-new dream home: Janine Brown of Cedar Falls, Iowa.

For heartbroken Janine "Janey" Brown, this announcement has the hallmarks of one of her Aunt Midge's harebrained plans to lure her from her tiny kitchen, where she's been submerging her grief in the pursuit of the perfect pot-au-feu. Meanwhile, across town, Janine "Nean" Brown couldn't be
Published July 9th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published May 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane

Start your review of The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane
DeB MaRtEnS
3.5 Stars. Very, very light...floating off to join the pages of those other undemanding, evanescent sweet escapes in books whose titles have mostly blurred together in a cloud of relaxation. That almost says it all about this novel, except that there is a dream house, lots of dream food, wretched women who transform into beauties, body beautiful boyfriends, good neighbours and lots of kindness.

Excuse me, I'm so relaxed now I think I'll go take a nap.
Teresa Reid
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I call these light, easy books "palate cleansers". I read them after a tough book or series of books and when my brain just needs a break. This book is perfect for that. The characters are built up well, the storyline just engaging enough, predictable but not badly so. I recommend it if you want a holiday from thinking for awhile.
Elaine
Mar 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
One star, why one star? Because, if you have ever read chick lit with generational characters, you have read this book before. There is a young girl/woman with an abusive boyfriend, a 30 something who really hasn't formed an attachment to a man in years, and an 80 something grandma, who you will love. And just like every other book like this, exactly what you think will happen happens. No, aliens don't land, natural disasters don't occur, and the only exception is a lottery/contest, but that is ...more
Michelle
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC of this book. I read this on a problematic flight after a long week and it was exactly what I needed. This isn’t super highbrow, but that’s not the point. It’s sweet and funny and the foodie/cooking tie-in is well-played. I also found the romance angle for both protagonists unique and well done. Pure enjoyment from start to finish – read in one sitting.
Unknown Unknown
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book to read at the beach!
(Well I don’t like reading at the beach, but it’s a metaphorical beach I’m talking about)

I love the characters, they’re well designed and interact beautifully. Harms has a terrific view of human interaction.
The chapters are a good length, Not too long and not too short. It’s important to add breaks into a book, so the reader won’t get tired, and gives the reader a chance to enjoy their own life.
This is a magnificent book from a wonderful first time author. I
Brenda
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This funny and original book is perfect summer reading! With well-defined characters and a perfect balance of reality with just a bit of unreality, you'll want to keep coming back for more! Such a fun book and, everyone should have an aunt midge in their life 😁 Some of us will want to grow up to be Aunt Midge 😂
Jennifer C
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read
Amazing. Funny. Heartwarming. The audio of this book was amazing. The narrators gave such life to fun, witty prose. This is a lighthearted, fast, easy read and an amazing audiobook. I highly recommend this to everyone I know.
Gwen
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect beach book! Have you ever succumbed to cooking shows on t.v. and bought exotic ingredients for an impossible recipe? Have you ever fantasized over living in a dream house and entered a sweepstakes to do so? If so, this is the book for you!

The premise is delightful: Janine Brown of Cedar Falls, Iowa, wins the Dream House Sweepstakes and relocates to Maine for a new start in life. Problem? There are two Janine Browns: shy-beyond-words “Janey” and in-your-face “Nean,” both layin
Mom2nine
May 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This one just gets an okay, for easy to read and light hearted. Janey is painfully shy, her great aunt who is coarse, but love-able enters her in a contest to win a house. Another woman with the same name decides to also win the house. She has a history of poor decisions, from shoplifting to abusive boyfriends. They become best of friends and look out for each other, a bit hokey. Don't take this one too seriously, in the years that I lived in Maine, I never met a local who paid for restaurant l ...more
MB (What she read)
7/10/16 3.5 stars

This turned out to be surprisingly fun! I was giggling to myself throughout.

(While I didn't get it intentionally as a beach read, it turned out to serve surprisingly well as one.)

I enjoyed the chapter quotes and recognized several.

Reading about all the food making was fun, although I wondered how these women were able to afford their (seemingly very $$$) grocery bills with little to no income. I'm glad they were able to stop the waste. I also think some of these very involved m
Betty
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Aunt Midge said keep it interesting...and that is just what Kelly Harms did in this delightful story of the two Janine Browns who both entered a contest for a house and won it. But which Janine Brown was the true winner? As readers, we are all winners upon diving into this book. The characters are charming, realistically human (some lies to benefit one's self, a few drinks too many, sometimes making a fool of one's self), You can't help loving them all and hoping it all works out for them in the ...more
Lee Ann
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read. At first I thought I was not going to like the characters in this book, turns out I was wrong. It was fun and I loved seeing them develop and grow through the story. It was a delight and I will look forward to Kelly harms second novel. Fun and fast read
Sunshine Mares
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Almost good, but then Nean was introduced. Annoyed me from then on.
Shelly
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction
The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane by Kelly Harms, the story of two women who may have a name in common but, it seems, nothing else, is humorous and heartwarming. Though they start out like oil and water, Janey and Nean both have a great capacity for love and a fragile heart. With more than a little help from Janey's hysterically funny Great-Aunt Midge, they eventually come to see that they can help to heal each other's wounds. Mixed in with all of this healing and hilarity - I dare you not t ...more
Nancy H
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story! The characters are not what you expect when you read the synopsis, they have much more substance and depth, and 'character'. The premise is great: two women with the same names win a house in a sweepstakes, and both across the country to claim it. There are actually three women who end up temporarily living in the house, but their personalities bloom and change for the better the longer they are together. I think this is an amazing story, and should be on many must-read l ...more
Janet
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, litsyatoz2019
I love when a book I have no real expectations for manages to impress me! The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane is a feel good story that has a little bit of everything. Three lost souls, all in different stages of their lives, are thrown together after the unusual circumstance of winning a dream home, sort of. There’s romance, food, and even some humor. This book left me wanting to have a good meal, a good cry, and to read more by this author!
mindful.librarian ☀️
Love love love love love. I’m so delightfully happy that I requested this book from the library after reading the author’s newest book - I’m a major Kelly Harms fan now! The FOOD and the setting and the characters- they all just leap off the page. Reminds me a lot of Amy Reichert’s work, and she’s one of my all time faves!
Megan Hibbs
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to any woman in my life. My mother, my grandma, best friend, coworker, etc.

It is adorable. I for once am not embarrassed to put a book on my page. It is a light-hearted spinoff on the HGTV Dream Home Giveaway, where two women with the same name from the same town meet at the house both believe they have won.

Although this book is predictable, with a bittersweet ending, I highly recommend it!
Susan Peterson
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming and funny

I read The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane in one day, and I truly loved every weird, crazy, funny, lovely moment! I was completely in love with all of the characters, I was completely enthralled by their stories, and I loved escaping to coastal Maine—one of my favorite places on earth. I laughed, I cried, and it was a wonderful way to spend my day.
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a quick, breezy read. Two Janine Browns think they have both won the sweepstakes with a grand prize of a house on the coast. Along with an aunt, the ladies eventually learn to get along - with some funny moments and a little romance along the way.
Catherine
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Avery easy read. Characters could be someone we all know. Good thingscanhappen. Just don't judge o fast. Again, a good read.
Patti Alexander
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun read...good story
Connie Whitcomb
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book--I couldn't resist the combination of love and food. Certainly, it wouldn't win a literary prize, but as chic lit goes it was miles ahead of most.
Paula Weisberger
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Free book - listened on Audibles
A chick lit book with a cute premise. The randy old auntie was the best part. Also, if you are going to have the main town set in Maine and around Damarascota ( sp?), please ask how to pronounce it....not Da-marrra-scottttta....🤷‍♀️
Emily  Finkner Sell
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun, chick lit romance. I have enjoyed other books by this author and look forward to reading more of her work.
Tracy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet, fun book. My sister sure can recommend them!
Nancy
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a light-hearted book with fun, quirky characters. One of the better “chick lit” books I read in a long time. It will make you smile.
Alice Frati
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book. The characters are well written. It is a light read with interesting characters. This is a summer beach read with a fun plot. The reader did a great job. I loved it.
Margaret
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was fun to read, but I also had fun reading it; if that makes sense. I knew that every time I returned to the place where I had left off, I was going to go right back to being drawn in to the story. It was as if I was a friend watching my three other friends interact with each other.

The HomeSweetHome Network has just announced the lucky winner of the dream home giveaway. Congratulations, Janine Brown, from Cedar Falls, Iowa. You are now the proud owner of a spacious, state-
Mason
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who hasn’t fantasized about winning a dream home fully furnished? For Janie Brown of Cedar Falls, Iowa, winning the HomeSweetHome Network’s dream house in Maine is a life changer and eye opener.

Narrators Suehyla El-Attar and Reay Kaplan do an excellent job bringing the delightful characters to life. Their cadence pulls you in and holds you spellbound as the story unfolds. Their vocalizations enhance the author’s writing.

Janine “Nean” Brown knows winning the house is her destiny. It’s her chance

• Revenge of the Kudzu Debutantes (Kudzu Debutantes, #1)
  • Patterns Of Change
  • Willa's Grove
  • I Was Told It Would Get Easier
  • A Happy Catastrophe
  • Barefoot Beach
  • Her Secret Twins (Love Inspired)
  • Newport Harbor House (Newport Beach #1)
  • Hello, Summer
  • Girls of Summer
  • 28 Summers
  • Big Summer
  • Five Fortunes
USA Today, Washington Post and Amazon Charts bestseller Kelly Harms is the author of The Bright Side of Going Dark, The Overdue Life of Amy Byler, The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane and The Matchmakers of Minnow Bay. She worked with bestselling authors, Edgar, RITA, and Agatha award winners, and Indie Next List Picks in her time as an editor at a division of HarperCollins and later as an agent ...more