Start by marking “Shadows of Glass (Ashes Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadows of Glass (Ashes Trilogy, #2)

Shadows of Glass

(Ashes Trilogy #2)

Wren's world has changed. The thing that she fought for, escaping the dome has come to fruition, but it's not the paradise she thought it would be. Most of the shiners have died, and according to James, she is to blame for many of the deaths, a burden which sits heavy on her shoulders. Still some have survived and Wren is determined to keep them safe as they fight to estab ...more
Published July 23rd 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of Glass

Colleen Houck
I love the little yellow bird and I want one. It was so cool to follow the heroine above ground for the first time. We take for granted wonderful things like the moon and the sky and trees. Really like the new characters and can't wait to see what happens next, especially after that cliffhanger ending.
Olivia Hennis
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
SNAPSHOT:

Told from Wren’s perspective, the slow pace might attract readers looking for more involved character development. However, despite fighting for their survival, Wren and her band have a small course to traverse: one third adapting to the outside world, another spent learning from newly arrived American airship travelers, and the final act defending against murderous unwashed scavengers.

Past action is revealed—often repeatedly—in exposition that is as stilted and awkward as the main char
JB Lynn
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, ya, dystopian
Alz
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I liked the first book all right--it wasn't very new or very different, but it was an okay 3-star standard Victorianesque steampunky dystopian--but the second one suffers dreadfully from middle book syndrome in that it's not even all setup for the next book because hardly anything happens in this one. This whole book could have been condensed down to 5-8 chapters.

In fact, Shadows of Glass can be summed up in one sentence: (view spoiler)
Meredith
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I really really loved Ashes of Twilight - I read 60 books this summer, and it was one of the ones that really stood out, so that's saying something - so I was all set to love it's sequel. My enthusiasm was tampered a bit by the fact that I was warned off Shadows of Glass. My friend, who hates love triangles with a burning passion, had already written it off. But I decided to give it a chance, and I am glad I did.

My overall impression upon finishing this book is that there just wasn't enough. I w
Linsela
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
Like many people, I thought this book was not engaging - unlike the first book I rated as a 5 & exceptional. It's hard to say the exact problem, but part is Wren turns into a self-pitying drama-queen ... same problem Katniss Everdeen suffers in hunger-games book three. One gets sick of reading her lament how much better life would have been to die a young slave in the coal mine instead of being outside.

I guess the book can be described as they get outside, meet a foreign family, fight some b
Shelby
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!! Page turner from beginning to end. As with book 1, it left me wanting to know more. Can not wait for book 3!!
Susan
Book 1 left us with Wren and her whole village scampering before a deluge of water. Wren, Pace, and a few Shiners find themselves outside the Dome via the underground tunnels. They also find that a lot of people didn’t survive the disaster. On top of mourning their dead, they must also get use to fresh air, wildlife, sunlight, and the elements. It soon becomes clear that they are not alone in the outside world as the Rovers are clearly interested in their goats and ponies. Luckily, some generous ...more
Karen Stern
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first book was great.
This one?
Wah wah wah, Wren.
Can you whine about your love life anymore than you do throughout this book?
The story is cool, Wren's whining sort of ruins the enjoyment.
Sandra Rice
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Ugh. This was not as good as the first. It mostly read as a teenage girls diary. It picked up enough at the end that I will go on hoping the next book returns back to its roots.
Jenea Whittington
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shadows of Glas is the second book in the Ashes Trilogy, ans picks up right where we left off from in Ashes of Twilight. The dome has been severely devastated damaged, and truth about the world outside has been discovered. The world outside is not consumed by fire, but is completely different than they have been taught to believe. They have lost so many in the floods and the fire, but that is just the start.

Wren was a character that I did enjoy in the first book. The fact that she strong, and an
Hillary
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Wren made it out of the dome, but quickly realizes just because the world is not on fire, that doesn't mean it is not a dangerous and troublesome place. Plagued with grief about what her decisions have caused her people, Wren struggles with the need to step up and lead despite others wanting her to.

This book took a big departure from the interesting story it was in book one. Firstly I felt a lot less actually happened. Tayler abandon the unique world building of the Dome society. The world abov
Stephanie Tiner
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Wren, Pace, and some of the other shiners have made it out of the tunnels alive. But the outside world isn't what they imagined it would be. Most of the shiners were killed in the explosion, and after spending their entire lives underground, the fresh air and sunlight are hard on the survivors.
The survivors are working to build themselves new lives. But there are dangers everywhere they turn, including rovers. How can they possibly keep themselves safe in this new and strange world?
When a group
Barbara Sheppard
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to reading this book. I read the first one, Ashes of Twilight, and really enjoyed it. I found this to be somewhat of a disappointment.
The story revolves around a young girl named Wren Macavoy. In the first book she and some friends were able to escape from the dome that had encased her world for over 200 years. The people living there were told that the world was in flames due to a comet that had come to earth. That was true but the world had been recovering for a lo
Visionary Druid
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Review can be found here and courtesy of Romance Junkies

Wren MacAvoy is a shiner – a working class within the dome’s hierarchy structure. She is also the daughter of Sir William Meredith, the Master General Enforcer, a man of great power entrusted to protect and preserve England’s royal echelon at any cost.

She and the other survivors, all shiners except one, were led to believe the world outside the glass dome was inhospitable, that anyone who steps outsi
Carla
An excellent dystopian novel - with a well built setting and an original story line. The characters are likable and realistic; Wren's struggles to decide who she's actually in love with rings very true....and both boys are attractive (it's not clear to the reader which one she should choose either). I also enjoyed the writing style... though at times I found the dialogue a bit annoying (she doesn't use contractions and the "I am" "there is" constructions slows the dialogue down).

From booklist:
In
Amanda
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
star_fire13
Wow! This was way better than I was expecting it to be. I really liked hearing about Wren and Levi and the outside world. Now that they've been captured inside the dome, I'm interested in seeing where things go.

I really want Wren and Levi to end up together, but I feel like she'll end up with Pace. Most of the time, the love triangles resolve with the girl being with the guy she was romantically involved with in the first place, not the distraction =/
Courtney
May 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
The book spends most of it's time lamenting the events of the previous book without any real plot. In order to remedy this, the author throws in a cliche love triangle. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will love this book because of its mundane plot and romance, but true dystopian lovers need to find something else.
Tonya
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shadows of Glass was disappointingly boring. Wren was less adventurous and whined to the point of being ridiculous.Instead of turning into the strong female leader the first book lead me to believe she'd be, its like she's a different person all together. I felt like I was reading a romance novel instead of a Dystopian novel.
Shelby Trautman
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a great book. I just expected a little more movement. It just seems that they don't make any major decisions until the last couple of chapters. Still one of my favorite series though :)
Clueless Morgan
Apr 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
I don't understand all the favorable reviews. I enjoyed the first book very much. This one? Basically it goes like this:

"Woe is me. Woe is me. Waaaah. Woe is me."

That's about it. I don't get it.

Did not finish.
Jenn
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 not as great as the first but still very good, wren develops more as a character and is now faced with more hardships. the new characters are very interesting and I can't wait to see what happens in the third book!
Kelly Waldschmidt
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5

Again, like the first one, the cover is spectacular.

I enjoyed the story line and really liked the introduction of new characters, but for some reason, the plot is not sitting well with me. I need to finish the series before I can decide how I feel about it.
Joedi Richard
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Sara Ann
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Had a good plot, but took forever for any real and interesting action to occur. Was still a great read and worth the time, but really didn't keep my interest for long. Although, I would recommend this book and I am happily awaiting the next one in this trilogy.
Becky
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hard time getting into this one. I'm ten chapters in and don't really care about what is going on. It seems to be going slow and a bit on the whiny side. I'm going to put it down for a while and try again later.
Grace
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was fantastic but I was very frustrated with when's choices! It pulled me in the it's world and I was blown away
Leah Perkins
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
2.5-3*
Willa
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
eeeh.... mixed thoughts on this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • The Devil's Kitchen (Crown Phoenix, #2)
  • Plague in the Mirror
  • Understanding the Stars
  • The Fall (The Glimpse, #2)
  • Revolution (Replica, #3)
  • The Culling (The Culling, #1)
  • The Silent Army (Revivors, #2)
  • Charmed Vengeance (The Aether Chronicles, #2)
  • Horror, Humor, and Heroes
  • Abandon (Possession, #3)
  • Nine Meals
  • Defying Doomsday
  • Kyrathaba Rising
  • Ambassador (Ambassador #1)
  • Romulus Buckle & the Luminiferous Aether (Chronicles of the Pneumatic Zeppelin, #3)
  • Starblind (Starblind, #1)
  • Science Fiction Short Stories (Gothic Fantasy)
Kassy Tayler is a pseudonym of Cindy Holby.

Ashes Trilogy (3 books)
  • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Remnants of Tomorrow (Ashes Trilogy #3)