Start by marking “Les amants égarés (Huntington, #3)” as Want to Read:
Les amants égarés (Huntington, #3)

Les amants égarés

(Somerhart #3)

Même s’il a surpris sa fiancée dans les bras d’un autre, Nicholas, vicomte Lancaster, doit l’épouser. La bienséance, et sa fragile situation financière, l’exigent. Pourtant, lors d’une visite dans son domaine à la campagne, il retrouve son amie d’enfance, Cynthia Merrithorpe, devenue une jeune femme au charme irrésistible. Leur ancienne amitié prend des allures de voyage s ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Pemberley, 452 pages
Published October 19th 2012 by Milady (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Les amants égarés, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les amants égarés

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Victorian romance and loveable, tortured heroes
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Anne
One Week as Lovers had the serious tone that I like in historical romance, with a tortured hero, and a heroine with enough depth to make for a satisfying read. My favorite aspect of this book, by far, was the hero. I really loved Nick. He was an incredibly sweet, loving guy, and very emotionally strong. I was impressed that he was able to survive such a horrible event in his past, and to become a relatively functional adult. He didn't turn into a hater or user like some men would have, given his ...more
Anne
Ruth
I LOVED this one. The heroine is straightforward, independent and earthy (some of her quips are priceless) and shows a whimsical confidence in herself and her plans. I also love that the hero's tragic past - I don't want to write a spoiler review and explain - is a central part of both the plot and also the romance, but is really well-handled. It's not dismissed in a chapter, nor overwhelming in an icky way (this IS a romance after all), but handled with courage and respect. Great story, well-wr ...more
Jocelyn No
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, regency-era
Dahl is fantastic, and though I love all her books, I love her historicals best because while they have a sense of humor, they take themselves seriously and don't shy away from darker emotions, vivid emotional and sexual scenes, and societal truths, and she does not take the easy way out re: plot resolution. This one is no exception. I'll be rereading repeatedly.

The best thing about Dahl's books is always her characterization. Her prose is lovely and stripped-down, no wasted words. Her plot stru
TheBookSmugglers
Full Review Link

One Week as Lovers is the love story between two childhood friends, Nicholas, Viscount Lancaster and Cynthia, the girl next door. Cynthia has loved Nicholas forever but once the boy turned 15 his family moved to London and they haven’t seen each other in ages. Until Lancaster receives the news that Cynthia has died and he travels back. Cynthia of course, is not dead. She faked her suicide so that she could avoid getting married to the most awful man in existence (Richmond is his
ALPHAreader
This was my first Victoria Dahl book.

I wasn’t overly impressed – I’ve read better historical romances, and authors like Lisa Kleypas and Julia Quinn remain among my favorite authors of the genre. ‘One Week as Lovers’ was just a little too hum-drum for me. The storyline is mediocre; so much is made of the fact that Nick and Cynthia grew up together, were childhood friends who drifted apart when Nick gained the title of ‘Viscount’. But I didn’t really feel the ‘connection’ between them – Dahl reli
Irene
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-and-bd
The more I think about it the more I wish I could have loved One Week As Lovers. It is a sweet vanilla read! But it’s missing that umami factor. Likeable but broke viscount Nick is about to be married to an heiress from the merchant class when he finds out Cynthia, a childhood friend, has passed away. He decides to visit his estate in the country to pay his respects. Cynthia is the funny one in the relationship, from bluntly stating that the flower in her possession has been plucked a long time ...more
Elis Madison
Nick Lancaster, the impoverished viscount who helps the H/h in ARGTP, has finally found himself a fortune to marry. Unfortunately, the lady doesn’t like him—and he discovers that she does like her father’s man of business. Rather a lot.

And the worst of it is, he's going to have to put up with it. Without that money, his family is going to do a rather rapid swirl down the proverbial crapper. Nick’s having a tough time keeping up his trademark cheerful façade. When a letter arrives from the house
Dangermousie
I. Loved. This. Book! Set in the Victorian era, Nick, our hero, is a charming, titled fortune-hunter (I'd have loved the book for that already - how often do we have a fortune hunter hero?) who discovers that the heiress he is engaged to hates him and is sleeping with another, but he cannot afford to cancel the wedding. Instead, to clear his head, he travels to his remote Yorkshire estate, one he hasn't been to since he was 15. It is there he runs into our heroine, Cynthia, his childhood friend. ...more
Kelli
I brought this book on a whim as it was selling cheaply on Amazon, I didn't expect too much from it, and just picked out out of my to read pile at random, but I am soooo pleased I did, I loved this book, I don't know if it's because I was expecting so little, or if I was in a particularly good frame of mind when I was reading it, but oh How I loved this book!!!

It wasn't until I've come to review the book I even realised it was part of a series - me being me of course ive started at number 3, but
Kelly
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
This one is definitely going into my Top 10 So Far list.

I admit, it's my first foray into historical romance in at least a decade. I was inspired to pick it up by a review from the Book Smugglers blog, and I am so grateful.

(MINOR SPOILERS)

It was beautifully written, and had a sweet and satisfying love story that, while ending with the promise of an HEA, didn't tie it up in a neat little bow. They had to work for it.

I'll also admit to a weakness for damaged heroes (as my best friend, who's rea
Samantha
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-own, 2010
Second book I've read by Dahl and she has yet to disappoint. I love, love, loved Cynthia's sense of humor and practicality with Nick's golden-boy charm mixed with a genuine heart of gold, excuse the expression. And while I liked this one more than A Rake's Guide to Pleasure, each was brought something different to the table. Definitely recommended for those who like well-written historical romances. ;)
Amanda Westmont
Another good Dahl historical. Dahl tends to favor sex scenes with light bondage in them and that only bothered me because of the back story - the idea that previous sexual abuse caused/forgave that particular fetish. I guess in my mind, it wasn't nearly kinky enough to need to be explained. Some dudes just dig that.
Mumsgang
Thios book had me laughing , crying , frustrated and it was a brilliant read, it a love story in general but tells of the darker side of life in the times and how love can over come all .
a must read for historical romance fans
Wicked Incognito Now
I love that this story wasn't solved the easy (predictable) way that most romance novels favor.

Dahl continues to be fresh with prose that just trot along beautifully.
Rose
Nick is definitely one of the most likable heros I've ever read. I loved the sensitive vulnerability of his character. Definitely a re-read.
bell
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was ok.. her second book in this series was much , much better. After reading about the hero in the second book, I was really hoping for so much more.. The story was somewhat bland and I only finished it because I wanted a glimpse of the characters from the second book. Hero and Heroine grew up together. The hero has to marry an heiress and catches his finance with another man. He can't break off the engagement because he needs her money. Heroine fakes her death ( not very well either) beca ...more
Brandy
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm. This should be a higher rating but something was missing. It’s a bit 50 shades of grey, a bit of treasure hunting, a little revenge, reuniting childhood friends to lovers, and a bit of fresh starts.

I will say I didn’t care for the separation towards the end. I like my hero and heroine to stick together like glue once they unite. I think it was missing some romance maybe? I don’t know....

It was good, worth reading but I think a bit forgettable. The heroine wasn’t my type and rubbed me wron
Kristen
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific story with wonderful emotional depth, and characters with real chemistry.
TW: foreshadowing and actual descriptions of an evil child predator can be tough to read. It's not done in a gratuitous fashion at all, but if you are sensitive to that kind of thing, know that it's an important part of the story.
Kim
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started well, but eventually it became clear that no matter how sweet and deserving the hero coming was, the heroine was determined to think of herself first.the heroine was annoying. Their dialogue also did not fit the time period.
Marian C. Hampton
Enjoyable sometimes, annoying others

Interesting plot twist, but story stretched belief. The positive reader ratings made me buy it, but I cannot recommend author.
Miriam
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite of Victoria Dahl's, and I've read all her books, so that's saying something.
I loved the other books in the Somerhart series, but Lancaster's was by far the best.
Kazia Gemmill
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong storyline and characters. Very good, intriguing read.
Michelle
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looooved! I only wished that there was an epilogue
Mary (I ♥ Books)
Very disappointed with this one bit closer to 2.5 stars.
Brooklyn
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
chanceofbooks
Originally shared at Cloudy with a Chance of Books-- http://www.chanceofbooks.com

This book purchase was brought to you by social media. Victoria Dahl tweeted a link to Daisy Harris's blog where she discussed common tropes used to up the sexy factor. This book was mentioned as an excellent example of the "kink as therapy" trope. Ding! My finger was on the "buy" button on my nook before I even finished reading the blog. And, as an added bonus, I now have a name for one of my most favorite tropes.
Amber
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love a well written angst story
I don't normally write reviews for reasons. Many reasons. One being that, while I enjoy reading and the whole process of embracing a story, I've never felt compelled to sit down and write out something explaining my love for it. Another is that, frankly, I'm too lazy.

But One Week As Lovers has seemed to break me.

This story.

This story was a huge surprise for me. I've never read Victoria Dahl and I came across this book while on a hunt for something new and different.

And boy did I get it.

The plot
Sarah Eiseman
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the continuation of the story of Nicholas, the Viscount Lancaster. When we meet up with him in this novel he’s just found out that his fiance is having an affair with another man (not the same social level as Nick, but obviously someone she’s more attracted to that him). So when he receives word that a childhood friend has died, he packs it in and heads back to his hometown to pay his respects. Little does he know that Miss Cynthia Merrithorpe has turned into quite something in the ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• For the Earl's Pleasure
  • The Price Of Desire
  • My Darling Caroline
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • Scandal
  • With Seduction in Mind (Girl Bachelors, #4)
  • Wicked All Day (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #5)
  • Untouched
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)
  • Written on Your Skin
  • The Lover (The Lover, #1)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • An Unexpected Gentleman
  • Lord of Sin (Seducers spin-off, #1)
  • Prelude to a Scandal (Scandal, #1)
  • Hidden Honor
I have my mother to thank for my passion for writing. My mom is an avid reader of popular fiction, and I began reading highly inappropriate books around the age of eleven, I think. (Thanks, Mom, for always leaving those delicious books strewn about!)

To Tempt a Scotsman, a Golden Heart winning historical, was my first published book. Here I am signing the cover! A Rake's Guide to Pleasure (which w

Somerhart (3 books)
  • To Tempt a Scotsman (Somerhart, #1)
  • A Rake's Guide To Pleasure (Somerhart, #2)