Start by marking “Saving Grace (Katie & Annalise #1)” as Want to Read:
Saving Grace (Katie & Annalise #1)

Read Book

Saving Grace

(What Doesn't Kill You #1)

An alternate cover edition can be found here.
Katie Connell is a high-strung attorney whose sloppy drinking habits and stunted love life collide hilariously in a doomed celebrity case in Dallas. When she flees Texas for the Caribbean, Katie escapes professional humiliation, a broken heart, and a wicked Bloody Mary habit, but she trades one set of problems for another when she
Published 2012 by SkipJack Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Saving Grace, please sign up.
Vera Long First a disclaimer: This was a free book from Amazon on Book Gorilla, and the first of a series.

I wasn't sure about this book, after all…more

I wasn't sure about this book, after all it was "free". It was light reading, a very fast read, about Katie, a 20-something attorney, her rotten love life, and her drinking problem. She sets out looking for answers about her parents "accidental" death in the Caribbean island of St. Marco, and falls in love with an abandoned, supposedly haunted, mansion named Annalise. Following her trials and tribulations, drunken antics, and uncovering the mystery of her parents' death, was entertaining. And yes, they got me hooked to read the sequel, "Leaving Annalise" #2 in the Katie & Annalise series.(less)
Olive Sampson I think it would be a good Book Club choice. Easy to read and good character development. I enjoyed the book and look forward to more by this author.

Start your review of Saving Grace (Katie & Annalise #1)
Eric
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK YES I am the authors husband, no tricks here, AND, this really is a great book. I have read a ton of books in my lifetime, owned a bookstore before Pamela and I even met. When I first read some of her writing I was immediately hooked by her VOICE, yes, she has an amazing unique wonderful, funny, smart, voice.
She has had the good fortune of hooking up with an excellent editor who has helped her create some really GREAT stuff while keeping that Voice.
Saving Grace is the first of 3 in the seri
Sami
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love when a free kindle turns out to be better than expected. Absolutley loved this. The author has a witty voice yet the human struggles in this book had depth too. A pinch of romance, some good suspense and a lot of interesting detail about life in the Virgin Islands. This book has a bit of everything and was well worth the read. Will be looking for the sequel in 2013.
Leslie
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm giving this book three stars for the writing alone. The rest of the story, well, let's just say, didn't quite hit the mark for me. I had a difficult time getting through the first few chapters but when Nick entered the picture, along with Katie's desire for him, I perked right up and the story finally captured me.

The main story takes place in Dallas, (where I'm from) and I was seriously enjoying all the references of places I've been. The mystery surrounding Katie's parents' death, however,
Lbddiaries
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a bit of a slow beginning (chapter or two), the book took off and I didn't put it down until I finished it - all in the same day. I love the island knowledge the author shares and the characters are full-bodied to the point you think you know them personally! I love how the heroine is not perfect; her foibles are like anyone elses, making her easy to identify with in many ways. The house, the lush island feel, the food, drinks - all suck you in and make you wish you were sitting under an u ...more
Elizabeta
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 60%. The more I read it, the more I lost interest.
Julie
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins is 2012 publication. I was provided a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Katie is going through a bad patch. She lost her parents in a tragic accident and then the man she is in love with makes in crystal clear he is not interested in a relationship with her- period with about ten exclamation marks. As a result, Katie has been killing the pain with a few too many bloody Mary's. Her job as an attorney also suffers.
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
DNFing after just a couple chapters - the writing style just isn’t working for me.
Joana
Shelves: caribbean
Saving Grace was a breath of fresh air. The book is ripe with mystery and suspense with just the right amount of romance in the air for flavouring. I was drawn into the book from the very beginning. The biggest thing for me was the excellent description of Caribbean life. As a Caribbean woman, I can say this author got it spot on. Even though I'm not from the Virgin Islands, we island people are very similar in mannerisms and I found myself easily immersed into a culture that is much like my ver ...more
David Baird
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great fun adventure read. See the island through the eyes of those in the know. Thoroughly descriptive of exotic places and things you have to have experienced to know they are true. A work of fiction that is steeped in fact. Tantalizing enough to draw one to visit some of the actual spots, if you know where to look... says I who lives on St Marcos... I think... A picture well painted...

Great to follow the rise of this author and her development of this story. It is been a treat and
Paul Fagan
Saving Grace is a spell-binding, fast paced mystery that will make you consider your life and the choices you live with. It is a well crafted, entertaining and lovely story that reads itself and will scarcely leave your hand once you start reading it. If courage can come from inspiration, this book will help you be brave enough to finally be yourself.
Coco.V
Mar 05, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/5/2018)!💝
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To put it plain and simple I LOVED this book, which is kind of surprising because this is not my normal type of book that I read. I loved everything about it, the characters, the location. I loved how Katie is so down to earth and real, she could be your best friend or your neighbor. I REALLY hope the wait will not be too long before book two is out (hint hint) and hope to follow Katie and her friends through many more books (again hint hint) ;) Highly recommended. Funny, light, and suspenseful.
Achour
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
I really loved this book.
Despite a slow beginning, it became quickly faster to such an extent that I never wanted to put it down. The book is really well written.
When I started reading it, I thought it was a romance but the story took a different direction.
Characters are well designed and I personally liked Katie, Ava and Emily.
I rate the book five stars and I recommend it👌.

Read: September 2017
Format: Kindle
Source: My own copy
Kjersti
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the main character, Katie, a super sassy red-head with a passion for investigating. I also love that it is a thrilling mystery that doesn't resort to gory violence that is unnecessary and sometimes offensive. The drama comes from real human emotions. But, don't worry, the drama isn't too heavy. It is really well balanced with Kate's witty sense of humor. Excellent read! Super fun page turner!
Barbara Hausman
This was a free offering on BookBub. I only choose freebies that have a high readership rating and this one did. I'm not sure what keeps Hutchins' readers coming back. Perhaps she appeals to teenage girls? In any case, I would give it 2.5 stars because I did finish reading it.
Tina
No, this was not for me. It was uninteresting and I didn't care for any of the character. If I hadn't needed it for a challenge, I would have chosen another book!
Andi
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This was a light and easy read, but I'm not sure it was good enough to make me want to continue with the series.
Teri
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful book and I can't wait to read the next book in the series!
Nicholas Alfonso Diaz
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pleasantly surprised! Loved this! A very nice read!
Helaine
Too much romance, not enough mystery for me.
Dorene Eoff
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good book!

Lots of twists and turns that come together in the end with refreshingly human characters. Did not want the book to end so on to the next in the series.
Noni Barker
Light weight, quick read. What I was looking for today. I did not get very attached to the protagonist.
Rosemary
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of murder-mysteries and psychological thrillers
Saving Grace - a review by Rosemary Kenny

Lawyer Katie has a stellar career as a partner in the law firm she works in, but her emotional life is in freefall following the deaths of both her parents, (on a holiday to a Caribbean island) a year earlier leaving her vulnerable to wanting to have an affair with Nick, a new work colleague who's not yet divorced and to frequently 'self-medicate' with alcohol. When she decides to see where her parents died and have a break from work stresses
J.B.
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning and the middle are so exciting and has a very nice ending.
Meg
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little while to get into the book but was completely drawn in by the time the MC was on her vacation. Then we had the heart of the story and the memorable characters. Good mystery, light on romance, a light but compelling touch of paranormal. Have the second in the series already downloaded.
Margaret
this book was a fun read. I was irritated with Katie throughout parts of it, namely her unreturned infatuation with a married man, but the story didn't dwell on that. excitement and mystery and a little romance. And lots of doggos!
Ava is a great character, I'd like to see more of both her and Emily in future stories.
Connie Knight
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins is the first novel of a mystery series starring Katie Connell as the heroine. She's an excellent Dallas attorney who hates her job, drinks too much, and despairs over the recent "accidental" deaths of her parents on vacation in St. Marcos, one of the U.S. Virgin Islands. And then there's Nick, who doesn't love her and disappears.
Katie makes a trip to St. Marcos and hires Paul Walker to investigate her parents' accident despite his indifferent attitude.
Sheri
Saving Grace (Pamela Fagan Hutchins)

Katie Connell, a Texan attorney needs a break from her life. She has been drinking way too much, suffers an embarrassing moment with the man she (thinks) she loves, and has a professional melt down in front of an entire court room. Her brother suggests rehab, but she has other plans, escape to the Island of St. Marcos. While there she decides to distract herself by investigating the suspicious death of her parents.

Once there she becomes
Esmeralda
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hurricane Sandy interrupted my reading but I did manage to finish. Katie is an attorney whose career suffers a large setback when she loses her first criminal case. She had just returned from the Virgin Islands where she hoped to uncover information concerning her parents' deaths in an auto accident. While she is there she falls in love with an abandoned estate called Annalise, which supposedly is haunted. She makes an offer to a real estate agent but the house has been bought by someone else. ...more
Brandy
Losing someone close to you can send you into a downward spiral. For Katie, it was harder, she felt as though her parent's death wasn't an accident. Katie's life was hard enough without the constant wonder whether her parent's death was on purpose. She was an attorney with a drinking problem on the weekends. Her life needed to change and she felt the only way to fix what had been broken was to go to the place of the so called "accident". Katie's life changes when she goes to investigate the deat ...more

• Dangerous Mistakes (Leah Nash Mysteries, #2)
  • Last Call (Janet Black Mystery, #1)
  • Who Murdered Garson Talmadge (Matt Kile Mystery, #1)
  • Arsenic in the Azaleas (Lovely Lethal Gardens #1)
  • Finding Sarah (Pine Hills Police #1)
  • Stranger in Town (Sloane Monroe, #4)
  • Back to Lazarus (Sydney Brennan, #1)
  • Sisters (Sun Valley #1)
  • The Woman (Linda Darby, #1)
  • The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)
  • Next Door (Chloe Fine Mystery #1)
  • Black Diamond Death (Sloane Monroe #1)
  • Hidden in Plain Sight (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #4)
  • If She Knew (Kate Wise Mystery #1)
  • Dog Collar Crime (A Lucie Rizzo Mystery, #1)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Maggie Mulgrew Mysteries #1)
  • Death by Inferior Design (Domestic Bliss Mystery #1)
  • The Girl From Paradise Hill (A McClintock-Carter Crime Thriller #1)
I am a wannabe barrel racer afraid of going fast, the author of the USA Today bestselling What Doesn't Kill You world of romantic mysteries, and a fangirl podcaster on Wine Women & Writing.

{By the way, to get free exclusives, first looks, and special deals with my newsletter, go to https://bit.ly/pamelaNL.}

I ride my plus-sized princess, Katniss, with my hunky husband way up in the frozen north of

What Doesn't Kill You (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Leaving Annalise (What Doesn't Kill You #2; Katie & Annalise #2)
  • Finding Harmony (What Doesn't Kill You #3; Katie & Annalise #3)
  • Going for Kona (What Doesn't Kill You #4; Michele #1)
  • Heaven to Betsy (What Doesn't Kill You #5; Emily #1)
  • Earth to Emily (What Doesn't Kill You #6; Emily #2)
  • Hell to Pay (What Doesn't Kill You #7; Emily #3)
  • Fighting For Anna (What Doesn't Kill You #8; Michele #2)
  • Bombshell (What Doesn't Kill You #9; Ava #1)
  • Stunner (What Doesn't Kill You #10; Ava #2)
  • Knockout (What Doesn't Kill You #11; Ava #3)
“my” 3 likes
“I’d been working too hard to listen to my instincts, which were screaming “bullshit” so loud I almost went deaf in my third ear.” 1 likes