Start by marking “The Eye of Zoltar (The Last Dragonslayer, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Eye of Zoltar (The Last Dragonslayer, #3)

Read Excerpt

The Eye of Zoltar

(The Last Dragonslayer #3)

The Mighty Shandar, the most powerful wizard the world has ever seen, returns to the Ununited Kingdoms. Clearly, he didn't solve the Dragon Problem, and must hand over his fee: eighteen dray-weights of gold.

But the Mighty Shandar doesn't do refunds, and vows to eliminate the dragons once and for all - unless sixteen-year-old Jennifer Strange and her sidekicks from the Kaza
Published April 10th 2014 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Eye of Zoltar, please sign up.
Tim Poston Some: but Jennifer's dates with Perkins keep turning into battles with monsters. And he is a 'burner' -- every spell he does ages him, some by a lot.

Patrick
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I've been listening to this on Audio for the last couple days when I do stuff around the house, sign books for our online store, and (to be honest) when I spend time crafting and building stuff in Fallout 4.

First off, the narrator is a good fit. That's something I notice more and more as I listen to audiobooks. The narrator can really make or break the whole experience.

I read the first two of these a while back, but I was able to pick the story back up without too much trouble. Jasper Fforde h
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

Sorry, what did you just say? The crustaceans are feeling overly murderous this morning and keep clicking their pincers with homicidal glee, so I didn’t hear a thing. Mind saying that again, at the top of your puny lungs this time? [insert massive barnacled intake of air here] “But Sarah, this is YA,” you shout and squeal and shriek! YA? This? Oh, please, don’t be silly. Of course this isn’t YA, this is Jasper Fforde! *eyeroll* I have no idea who this person named YA is,
Alissa
UPDATE: 10/16/2014: AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME and AWESOME!!! Full review here: http://oplteenpicks.blogspot.com/2014...

p.s. (view spoiler)

p.p.s. I still want a pet Quarkbeast

UPDATE 10/8/2014: Finally, finally, FINALLY!! The book is in my hands! Tonight, I begin reading!!

I am BEYOND excited for this one! I'd even go as far as to say my excitement for it is reaching such a pitch it near matches that which I felt while anticipating the 7th Harry Po
The Captain
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Well I can say this novel certainly upped the ante! In this one Jennifer is sent on a quest in the neighboring Cambrian Empire to look for an artifact that everyone else believes is a legend. If she doesn't find it the dragons are doomed. The Cambrian Empire prides itself on being dangerous and sells adventure packages for adrenaline seekers. Ye buy packages based on the Fatality Index - the likely number of people in yer party who are going to die. Arrr!

Scary things in the Cambrian Empire inclu
Marianne
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Eye Of Zoltar is the third book in the Chronicles of Kazam series by Welsh author Jasper Fforde. Aimed at the Young Adult reader, the heroine is a 16-year-old foundling raised by the Blessed Ladies of the Lobster, Jennifer Strange. This book is set some weeks after the events of The Song of the Quarkbeast, and while it is not essential to have read that book, it does help with understanding this one, and it, too, is a brilliant read. Jennifer is summoned by the Mighty Shandar, who is annoyed ...more
Phrynne
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Typical Jasper Fforde fare - quirky, funny and lighthearted. Not quite as brilliant as the Thursday Next series, but close. I thought this was going to be the last book in this particular series but it did seem to end very much in the air with the opportunity for much more to come. I hope so!
Daniel Shellenbarger
I gave this book three stars, even though I really wanted to give it 4 (or 5), as (well, there's no easy way to put this) the book is a severe downer. Don't get me wrong, Fforde's writing is as funny and satirical as in the previous two books in the series, but whereas in those books he balances his morbid humor with a generally up-beat ending, in this book at the end several major characters die and the entire UnUK goes through a sudden dramatic (and brutal) regime change, essentially wiping th ...more
Skip
I received an advanced readers copy (after publication) as my first Goodreads giveaway. YAY!!

Jennifer Strange, now Court Mystician to the King, is summoned to the palace and asked to help the rude and spoiled princess become a humble ruler. Then, the Mighty Shandar threatens to kill the two remaining dragons (Feldspar and Colin) that Jennifer has spared from extinction (in an earlier book) unless Jennifer finds the mysterious Eye of Zoltar. She and her assembled team, including the princess, hav
Jaylia3
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in Jasper Fforde’s YA series featuring Jennifer Strange, the competent 16-year-old running an agency of magicians in the Ununited Kingdom, a highly skewed alternate world UK. Jennifer’s the kind of girl who takes disasters in stride, which is fortunate because just as she is about to have her first date she and her young man have to alter their plans to act as bait for a crazed dinosaur-sized magical creature on a rampage, and almost immediately after they must embark on a ques ...more
Megan (ReadingRover)
I love this series! It’s so punny and ridiculous. This book was a particularly great adventure. I can’t wait for the next one. I’ll be sad when the series ends. The narrator is excellent too.
Neil
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun and light hearted read in the Chronicles of Kazam series, and to my mind the best so far. This one is set a couple of weeks after the 2nd book, 'The Song of the Quarkbeast'. In this tale Jennifer Strange actually has an audience with the 'Mighty Shandar', the greatest sorcerer who ever lived. Once upon a time he was paid 18 dray-weights of gold to rid the world of Dragons, Jennifer rather spoilt that plan, and he doesn't give refunds.
In a twenty-four hour period, Jennifer Strange has
Penny
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved it more than book 2. Avery is off on a mission (don't call it a quest because there is too much paperwork) in a neighboring kingdom to rescue one of her magicians and find a magical item. What could go wrong? Everything. The action is face paced and well written. These books are a great way to introduce teens to the joys of off beat sci-fi.
Lisa
Keine Ahnung, was diesmal los war, aber ich fand das Buch größtenteils einfach nur langweilig und sehr langatmig. Es gab einige witzige Stellen, aber Das Auge des Zoltars konnte mich leider nicht so begeistern wie seine Vorgänger.
Elwen
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nicht ganz so schrullig verschroben wie die Vorgänger, dafür aber mit so vielen aberwitzigen Ideen, dass es einfach nur ein magisch abenteuerliches Feuerwerk ist :)
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Before I wrote this review, I looked up what I said for book #2 in the series, and realized most of my thoughts for this book are the same. This is a super fun, very entertaining read.

Picking up not long after the end of book 2, this story sees Jennifer headed to another country on a quest, but don’t call it a quest because that would involve paperwork. She’s accompanied by an eclectic cast of characters, which shrinks and grows as the story progresses. She encounters one adventure after another
Lisa
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
library copy
Nikki
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I have docked this book half a star (to 3.5) for leaving us hanging - I found the ending a little lacklustre. It’s obviously to set up the fourth book but given this has been out for 4 years it’s just mean ;) it’s not actually a cliffhanger really, more of a “and now what happens??” moment.

With that said, I really loved the search/quest. I liked all the new characters too - the princess seemed to acclimatise a little quickly, but she rocked and Addie was awesome. And there are a couple of momen
Maria
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It seems this series is going on, which is good because this one leaves you up in the air on many fronts. I usually try to wait until all books in a series have been published so I read them back to back. I hate this waiting to find out what comes next. I had sveral issues with this one, but only because, like the first, I don't like to lose anyone or anything I have grown attached to. The events go downhill rapidly right from the beginning and unlike the first two, pretty much stays down even a ...more
Katie
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Seriously the most fun contemporary YA series I have read. Charming, brave, punny to the extreme. And a teenage heroine with smarts and heart? Yes, please! I love these books.

And it's rare to find a YA series that I can give my 5th - grader to read with no worries about icky content. She is giggling her way through the first one right now.

Now to sit with fingers crossed waiting on book number 4. ;-)
Mkb
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This is very silly, but good fun. Douglas Adams meets the wizarding world. I'll read the next one.
Nancy
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as #1 and #2, but still pretty good. Eagerly awaiting #4.
Krista
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was so sad to finish this book because I know that he hasn’t written the series finale yet. Sigh. I will be thinking of you Jennifer Strange!
Rebekah
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like his Jennifer Strange series, but don’t like half stories. New interesting character development. But leaves me anxious that it didn’t seem a full novel. No resolution to the conflict.
Chantal Daigneault
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Started out a bit slow..and I was going to just skim it to finish, but got sucked in at the end...a cliffhanger ending!
Jdas
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a great book about the ups and downs of having a strange power. A must read if you like fantasy books about rising to the occasion and learning from your mistakes. Hope you enjoy !
Heidi
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Jasper Fforde's novels, they're always a fun ride. This latest installment of the Chronicles of Kazam was a perfect palate cleanser after the last book I read (not by the same author!) proved to be disappointing.
Ms. Yingling
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
The Eye of ZoltarFforde, Jasper. The Eye of Zoltar.
7 October 2014, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Copy from Barbara Fisch of Blue Slip Media

The third book in The Last Dragonslayer series finds Jennifer Strange in charge of Kazam Mystical Arts Management, and still very concerned with the health of the last two dragons in existence. When Shandar requests an audience with her, she is a bit alarmed. It turns out that Shandar had a contract to kill all of the dragons, and he will lose a great deal of mone
Rachel
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, ya-children
In the genre of orphan left to find her own way in a world of magic, other than Harry Potter, I can't think of an equal to this series. And Jennifer Strange is a LOT funnier than Harry Potter. Jasper Fforde is amazingly witty, with zingers on just about every page. I kept finding passages I had to read aloud, like the one near the beginning where the young dragons, who've just read everything in the Library of Congress, deconstruct human history in a casually scathing manner.

"Were you impressed

• The Shadowhand Covenant
  • Mangaman
  • The Interrupted Tale (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #4)
  • The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two (Fairyland, #3)
  • Empire of Bones (Ashtown Burials #3)
  • Robots versus Slime Monsters
  • The Far West (Frontier Magic, #3)
  • The Educated Ape and Other Wonders of the Worlds (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #3)
  • Rebels Rising (Rebel Mechanics, #3)
  • Costume Not Included
  • Horizon (Bone Universe, #3)
  • Ouroboros Ouzo (Johannes Cabal, #3.3)
  • The Expeditioners and the Secret of King Triton's Lair (The Expeditioners, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Magician's Tower (Oona Crate Mystery, #2)
  • In the Labyrinth of Drakes (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #4)
  • The Tinker King (The Unnaturalists, #2)
  • Fallen
Fforde began his career in the film industry, and for nineteen years held a variety of posts on such movies as Goldeneye, The Mask of Zorro and Entrapment. Secretly harbouring a desire to tell his own stories rather than help other people tell their's, Jasper started writing in 1988, and spent eleven years secretly writing novel after novel as he strove to find a style of his own that was a no-man ...more

The Last Dragonslayer (4 books)
  • The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1)
  • The Song of the Quarkbeast (The Last Dragonslayer, #2)
  • Humans v Trolls (The Last Dragonslayer, #4)
“Are all our dates going to be like that?" said Perkins.
"I hope not", I replied with a smile, "but it was quite fun, wasn't it? I mean, it's not like we were killed or eaten or anything, right?"
"If your idea of a good date is not being killed and eaten, you'll never be disappointed.”
10 likes
“Troll Wars were like Batman movies: both were repeated at regular intervals, featured expensive hardware, and were broadly predictable.” 8 likes