Start by marking “The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf” as Want to Read:
The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf

The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf

Three little pigs, a somewhat bad wolf, sody-pop, chips, hay, mortar, bricks, and some huffing and puffing!
Award-winning author and illustrator Mark Teague tells his humorous version of "The Three Little Pigs" with a zany twist!

Three pigs spend their money on different things: potato chips, sody-pop, and building supplies. It comes as no surprise that a wolf is able to
Published April 30th 2013 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf

Start your review of The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf
Kristen Mulvihill
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I prefer to read the original story of a famous tale rather than a retelling that might be too bizarre. This book, however, doesn't stray very far from the content and the themes of the original story of the Three Little Pigs. The language, particularly the speech pattern of the wolf, is contemporary and enjoyable for reading out loud to one child or a group of children. The changes that Mark Teague has made to the original tale, most importantly, result in an additional theme -- the ...more
Denise
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: week-2
Text-to-Text Connection

"The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf" reminds me of one of my favorite childhood books "The Three Little Pigs". As a shared reading activity I would read both books to my students. After doing so we would compare and contrast the details of the two stories using a Venn diagram. As an individualized assessment I would have each student choose one of the two books to create a trifold display describing the beginning, middle, and end of the story. This activity
LizzyBerry
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Fun take on a classic tale that doesn't deviate too far away.
Stephanie
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun rendition of a popular tale.
Ali (Ali's Bookshelf )
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-read
By far my favorite book so far that I have read with my kids this year. I would have to say the same for my kids as well. They have asked to read this book over and over and over, and they already know the words by heart.

The illustrations in this cute story are exquisite and the plot is what you would expect, well mostly up until the end that is. I don't want to give it away, but I loved how the author changed up this well known story a bit. This story has become one of my kids favorites and I
Paul
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Usually, I pick books to bring from the library for my daughter that I have an interest in, and I like clever re-writes of well know tales. In this case, she was the one who brought it home from her school's library.

This book's innovative twist has the familiar pigs from the traditional story, but the wolf is not the nefarious scoundrel he has been purported to be.

An entertaining story.
Jaimee Huskins
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This a cute story. The three pigs start out moving out of their parents and have money to buy a house or whatever they want. One pig likes chips the other sody pop and the other is just smart and likes to do what is smart. The pictures are made with oil painting. The para text shows all the things the pigs like to do before the story begins. The end has a very good twist.
Karen Mahtin
A new take on the Three Little Pigs story. Very cute book. The main downside is that 2 of the pigs eat junk food all the time.
Elizabeth S
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-short, f-picture
Read this to get a whole new feel for the wolf's perspective. Very fulfilling ending.
Carolanne
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
A fine one to add to your "Three Little Pigs" collection.
Kalia Johnson
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf is a Fantasy book for pre-school/elementary age children. It is a spin off of the original Three Little Pigs book except the wolf isn’t all bad and, in the end, actually learns his lesson and becomes friends with the pigs. This version still goes through most of the same events with the wolf going to each of the pig’s house, blowing the first two down and then not being able to blow the last one made of brick down. Another interesting difference in ...more
Goshen PL Childrens
I really love this story! The three little pigs are here and so is the wolf, but he is just having a really bad day. The three pigs lived happily on a farm until the farmers retired and moved to Florida, paying the pigs for their good work and sending them on their way. The hungry wolf goes to get donuts, but the shop is closed, he goes for a hot dog, but the hot dog stand is closed and locked, finally he goes to a pizza parlor, but isn't allowed in. He blows down the straw pig's house and the ...more
Judi
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny and ironic - also there is a mystery between the lines. This is for middle to upper elementary who already know the classic story of the Three Little Pigs. Great for comparison and why does the wolf keep blowing pigs houses down - but then not eating the pig who lives there? Isn't it interesting that the 2 boy pigs are lazy and slovenly - they only want junk food, they don't care about making a sturdy house--while their SISTER prefers to organize and carefully build a brick house? I wonder ...more
Audrey Arnette
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf by Mark Teague is a really great take on the classic The Three Little Pigs. The story makes the classic a little more modern and lively for kids now. I think this book would be a great book to read if you wanted to talk about fairy tales in class. I also think this would make for a great comparison lesson, by reading the original three little pigs and then reading this version and having the class compare the two. I think this story is so cute and ...more
Adams Eagles
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-2018
Jorge C.

Review:

They lived on a farm, as most pigs are. Then one day the farmer told them that he and his wife were moving to Florida. He paid the pigs for their good work and sent them on their way.They were dirty. Finally the brick house was finished. It was big, and strong. The third pig was very happy. Read to see what happens next.

I liked when the three little pigs were happy the wolf didn’t eat them. I did not like when the wolf was mad because the adults were scared of the wolf.

Yes, I
Spencer Jones
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was an interesting take on the story of the three pigs and the wolf. I liked the illustrations and how they each had their own thing that they liked and wanted to do. I also like how it has a positive outlook on the wolf at the end because he was so hungry. I think it also displays a good message of being kind even to your “enemies”. This book is animal fantasy and in the 2nd-5th grade range
Leah Hahn
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is very cute, my daughter liked it a lot. It is a play on the traditional three little pigs, only this time, the big bad wolf, is not all bad. He came in to town very hungry, but none of the restaurants would let him inside. So, still starving, he started walking, and found the homes of the three little pigs.
The somewhat bad wolf mad some somewhat bad choices due to being "hangry".
This book was very cute, and I would recommend it to young readers.
Barbara
My students always love this creative, amusing adaption of The Three Little Pigs. The three pigs even have different choices in food and drink that emphasizes their personalities. You have some sympathy for the starving wolf in this one. Good for talking about stories with different points of view.
AMY
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: K-3
This version is different from the original all the way through. It is very funny and cleverly written. The ending is very different from what kids will expect and it will spark some discussion. It has great illustrations - colorful and fun! Kids will love this one. I would definitely buy for school. Highly recommended for Grades K-3.
Katelynne
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was so happy to find this one today! Every other Little Pigs book at my library is the OG fairy tale where the last pig boils the wolf alive (after hiding in a butter churn) - not really what I wanted to read for an upcoming second grade visit. With Mark Teague’s usual fun, detailed illustrations and humor, this is a playful, funny rendition of the original story.
Tessa Wells
This book told the classic story that we all know about the three little pigs and the big bad wolf, but the author added his very own twist on the story. I think by adding this made the story more enjoyable to read. After rereading the classic story a bunch of times it is nice to read something different.
Anthony
A subtle and funny twist on an old favorite. When the wolf passes out from exhaustion, and hunger while trying to blow the three pigs brick house down, he is invited into the house for something to eat, and soon becomes a regular visitor, and house guest.
Lynn
Very cute story of the three little pigs who set out in the world with different priorities. Of course the third pig has the best. A comedic send up of the fairy tale with education on non nutritious food and practical saving and use of money.
Jessica
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shannon
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this twist on the traditional story of The Three Little Pigs. My students loved the characteristics of the wolf and I found it to be a read aloud success. The story shows a unique relationship between the pigs and the wolf that I appreciated as an alternative.
This version of the three little pigs by Mark Teague has a more modern lesson for all of us- it is about being HANGRY. Compare and contrast with other versions. The one I read is a story play book and has activities and questions throughout. Fun to read to a little one.
Kelly
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the illustrations! And the story...what a great take on the traditional Three Little Pigs story. It's humorous and engaging!
Addie
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
weird
Chappyfamily
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
The third pig does all the hard work and everyone gains from it. Why doesn’t anyone else have to do anything for the comfort?
Tracy Morton
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is such a cute fractured fairytale. It is funny enough that I think an older audience would still enjoy it although it isn't crammed full of words so you could still read it to your wee ones.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever
  • The Scarecrow
  • David Goes to School
  • The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
  • Creepy Carrots!
  • Benno and the Night of Broken Glass
  • Gaston
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Hello Hello
  • The Girl Who Thought in Pictures: The Story of Dr. Temple Grandin
Mark Teague has delighted young readers with more than 20 picture books, and he has written many of them himself, including the popular Pigsty, Baby Tamer, and One Halloween Night. He is also the illustrator of Cynthia Rylant's beloved Poppleton series for beginning readers and the best-selling books by Jane Yolen, How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight and How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon.

Mark Teague's