Start by marking “The Last Academy” as Want to Read:
The Last Academy

The Last Academy

What is this prep school preparing them for?

Camden Fisher arrives at boarding school haunted by a falling-out with her best friend back home. But the manicured grounds of Lethe Academy are like nothing Cam has ever known. There are gorgeous, preppy boys wielding tennis rackets, and circles of girls with secrets to spare. Only . . . something is not quite right. One of Cam'
Published April 28th 2013 by Point (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Academy, please sign up.
LJF I read this book years ago, so I don't remember too much, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't any cursing and ALMOST positive that there wasn't any roman…moreI read this book years ago, so I don't remember too much, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't any cursing and ALMOST positive that there wasn't any romance to speak of, let alone intimacy.(less)
Jenna Not completely. The mystery is a huge part of this book, but a lot of the book is internal reflection and reflection on life, death, love, friendship …moreNot completely. The mystery is a huge part of this book, but a lot of the book is internal reflection and reflection on life, death, love, friendship and family. The mystery in the end, wasn't a typical mystery. I would consider this book a Young-Adult paranormal fiction mystery. Kind of one limb in each category.(less)
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
512 books — 2,444 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,577 books — 11,006 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Last Academy
Naoms
Originally Posted on:Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

I was 100 pages into this book when I had to ask myself what I was reading and why. The synopsis calls this a thriller, but I never experienced any form of thrill or anxiety. I was creeped out at most, but not in the way that “The Ring” creeped me out, but the way that stranger on the train who stares without blinking creeps me out. I just wanted to get away from the weirdness.

And it is weird. There is a scene where a 17 or 18 year old
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
May 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOT A SINGLE PERSON
0 stars, but if i put 0, it won't average in....

recommended to: not even my worst enemy.....i would not wish this torture on ANYONE!!!!!
absolutely awful! the writing was worse than that of a 6th grader....the author and Scholastic should be embarrassed that this was actually published!

normally, i'll have a disclaimer that: please don't take into consideration the amount of time spent reading the book as any indication of it being bad or not engrossing....yea, for this one, PLEASE DO take it in
Stephanie
This review and others are posted at Read, Rinse, Repeat.

Like many other bloggers, I take notes while reading to aid in the writing of my reviews. While reading The Last Academy, my notes were comments like, "Is ANYTHING going to happen?" and "I feel like I'm missing something here." I considered giving up, because so much of this book just didn't make a lot of sense, and it didn't really engage me. The synopsis describes a thriller plot, but what I was actually reading was more of the munda
usagi ☆ミ
I don't think I've had much look with Point books yet. But, okay, let's get on with this. At first glance, "The Last Academy" and its blurb sucked me in. Boarding schools? YEAH! Middle school protags? Okay, cool. Weird stuff happening? Yes please. But the blurb is probably the best part of this book, which is the saddest part of all. I wish I could recommend "The Last Academy", but I just can't.

Where to start? Even at the ARC point of things, this book really needed at least two more drafts to g
Donna
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read TONS of books every year and one of the things I love is when an author doesn't make things too obvious. Now don't get me wrong, it still has to make sense and there has to be clues and facts that lead to the ending. This book has ALL OF THAT.

I love the characters. They all have their own issues and back stories. Camden becomes part of pretty awesome circle of friends. They bend over backwards to help each other and to understand what is happening at their new school.

I was literally alm
Maddison Dru
Dec 15, 2012 marked it as to-read
Honestly, it's because of the cover. ...more
Jen
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I just don't even know.

The only way that I can describe this book, is weird. HOLY. Like, I can't even describe. To be honest, after reading the last word in this book, my only thought was, "I'm glad that's over." The Last Academy by Anne Applegate is a book that I was highly anticipating for 2013, and all I got was a bunch of uncomfortable weirdness. Y'all might be thinking: is that the only way Jen can describe this book? And the answer is yes! Throughout the entire novel I was consta
Emily Donnellan
Jan 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
DNF, gave up reading at page 189/316. The story is painfully disjointed and I had no idea what was going on, but not in the good keep my interest sort of way.

I was bored despite lots of unconnected "actions". I also couldn't remember the main characters name. And there was some strange insta-love/crush going on.

This was just really not my thing.
Julianna Helms
**1.5 STARS**

Original is here on my blog. (Note: due to copy-and-paste, formatting may be lost.)

First off, I should probably make the caveat that I'm not typically a fan of boarding school stories. But Scholastic was really kind in sending me this book, and it had a fun-sounding premise, so I figured... why not?

Oh, why not indeed.

It should be mentioned that this book wasn't all bad. Anne Applegate captures the life of a boarding school quite well--although, I can't speak from experience, o
Bev
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Some reviews said it was obvious what was going on/ what the school is, but I don't agree. It wasn't obvious to me and I don't think it would be to teenagers either, unless they are experts in Greek mythology! I did get an inkling of what was happening with Camden and her classmates, especially after the visit to Mark's house but I still didn't get what was going on with Barnaby and Mr Cooper. Not the best written book, but it was a quick read and passed the time well enough. I would have lapped ...more
Emily Blake
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

*A copy was provided by Scholastic for review purposes*

Something dark and terrible is brewing. But what? The answer will leave Cam – and readers – stunned and breathless, in this thrilling debut that must be re-read to be believed.

Yep. That sums it up pretty well.

When I started this book I thought it would be a typical goes-to-boarding-school-people-disappear-because-someone-is-killing-the-kids and I was waiting till the end to decide if I liked how Applegate formed the myste
Marla
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on Book Brats on April 17, 2013.

The Last Academy is one of those books that comes out of nowhere and manages to completely take you by surprise. While you think you’re reading yet another supernatural YA store set in a boarding school, it soon becomes apparent that this is just not the case. In fact, The Last Academy succeeded in taking me completely by surprise, even though the clues were there all along. Such is Anne Applegate’s skill in misdirection. Just when
Raven
Jun 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-loathe
Barbara
Dainy
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Full review on Reader's Dialogue: http://readersdialogue.blogspot.com/2...

The great part of this story is the part I can't really talk about without giving away the amazing plot twist. But I'll try! In dealing with the issues the book deals with, including the falling-out with Cam's friend back home, The Last Academy is brilliant. The name of the school should have given it away to me, but I somehow skipped over that at the beginning of the book! Anyway, it's as scary as this issue should be, bu
Jenna
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The mystery is a huge part of this book, but a lot of the book is internal reflection and reflection on life, death, love, friendship and family. The mystery, in the end, wasn't a typical mystery. I would consider this book a Young-Adult paranormal fiction mystery. Kind of one limb in each category.

Also had me REAL EMOTIONAL. If you're looking for a quick, introspective but also kind of sad YA read, this is it!
Maddie
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listened to this one because it was a short audio that I could get finished before the end of the month. The audios that I've listened to lately I've really enjoyed! I suppose I didn't follow this one as much as I could have, because I did get a little confused throughout, but I did still really enjoy it. The narrator was nice as well. The whole concept of (view spoiler) I really liked at the end ...more
Destiny (myhoneyreads)
I came for a trashy YA Paranormal romance and I stayed for the intrigue and mystery. Wow this was actually pretty good?
Emma
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno-2017
General Overview (No Spoilers)

First of all the cover is beautiful, it’s menacing yet inviting. It’s what drew me in despite a few bad reviews, it had a few good ones too, so thought it was worth a shot. When I started it, it was great, was enjoying the set up of the story. Then it just went no-where, they was strange goings-on but no explanation. A few things did not make sense. I was getting frustrated with it, not sure if I wanted to carry on. I had heard the ending was the worst part, but I h
Deneé
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally Posted at Novel Reveries

Edit: Spoiler in synopsis has been removed :) Thanks!

Camden is being sent away to go to a boarding school and she’s forced to make new friends... and enemies. She meets and learns of a man named Barnaby Charon who owns the school grounds, and when people end up missing, she’s set to investigate the creep. Strange things are happening at the academy, where it’s not only teaching class lessons, but life lessons as well.

The first couple of chapters were quick and
#ReadAllTheBooks
If I was forced to make a choice between "like" and "dislike" for this book, I guess I'd say that I liked it. It's far from being the best book ever put out in the YA field and it's nice in a non-filling "popcorn and potato chips" sort of way. I'd go so far as to say that if this had been released back in the 80s or 90s, back when Point Horror and Point Thriller was at its height of popularity, odds are that this would have been one of their top sellers.

The problem? This isn't the 80s or 90s an
Kristen
I received this through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

You can see this review and others on my blog at http://awriterswife-bcray.blogspot.co...

I surprisingly LOVED this book. It first started with the cover. It's hauntingly beautiful. And then I read the description and I was very excited when I got approved for it through Netgalley. However, I was disappointed that the version they sent me didn't have the awesome cover!

Ok, well, it is hard for me to review this book because I enjoy
Tiffany
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Full blog post @Book-Marks the Spot

Camden has just flown to California to her new boarding school. She had a falling out with her best friend and just wants to start over. When she gets there, it is like any other boarding school, curfews and strict rules. Camden is fine following the rules, until her friend and others start to go missing and the weird thing is, all the teachers act like its no big deal. Camden just can’t let it go and she will find out what’s going on one way or another.

The th
Megan
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
The Last Academy is a difficult book to review because I didn’t really enjoy it the whole time I was reading it, but the ending was awesome and really brought all the elements of the story together. As much as I loved the ending, I feel like it wasn’t enough to warrant a high review or a stellar recommendation. And I can’t really say much about the story because the only things worth mentioning are incredible spoilers. If you read The Last Academy knowing how it ends, it would be a waste of your ...more
Leeanna
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, for-review
This review originally appeared on my blog, www.leeanna.me.

THE LAST ACADEMY is a book that is very difficult to describe without spoiling its gigantic twist. The summary somehow gave me the idea that it would be about a paranormal boarding school, which is why I originally wanted to read it. It is -- sort of -- but first there’s a lot of contemporary-style story going on.

After a huge, embarrassing fight with her best friend, Camden is happy she’s heading off to boarding school instead of going t
Lauren the Book Slayer
When it comes to books, I’m an instant sucker for pretty covers and/or mentions of an “academy”. Therefore, the decision to read The Last Academy, was pretty much inevitable. The minute I saw the blog tour sign-up – I applied. Although, The Last Academy didn’t end up making my all-time favorites list, the ending was nothing short of spectacular.

I’m going to keep this review short and sweet.

Pros -

Ballsy main character. There’s a lot of spooky incidents and sketchy people running about Lethe Acade
Katie
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
There wasn't much I liked about The Last Academy. I was looking for something different to read so I thought I'd give this one a shot. I'm kind of regretting the few hours I wasted reading this one.

The Last Academy is categorized as YA but I would almost put it more in the MG category. The characters are immature, the writing is bland, and the story is predictable. Younger readers might not analyze this one as closely as I did and therefore might be able to enjoy it more.

I'll start with my issu
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, arcs, ya
Hmm... This one left my brain feeling as cloudy as that fog on the cover. I really wasn't sure what I was reading 2/3 of the time. I found myself very confused in places. They felt patchy-- as if there were key parts of the plot that were removed like a missing puzzle piece. I knew there was something important going on, but I just couldn't put my finger on what it was exactly. I found that very frustrating at times. It didn't feel like a mystery; it felt like a gap.

None of the characters impre
Step Into Fiction
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: jessica
The story itself, I really enjoyed; some of the characters and their relationships? Not so much. I should also say that after reading this book I went and checked out other reviews before writing this. Not something I normally do but I wanted to see why with only so many reviews the rating for this book wasn’t too high. I think I found the problem, I’m not a big Greek Mythology fan – though I enjoyed that lesson back in middle school it was never anything that stuck with me and that may be why I ...more
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)
I really don't know how to explain my feelings about this book except to use the word weird.

There were so many scenes that just didn't make any sense until you get to the end of the story and sometimes this is ok but they weren't weird in the kind of way that left you questioning (although they sometimes did) but more in a way that left me feeling vaguely uncomfortable. For example, the scene where a teenage boy curls up on a bed with his mother while his girlfriend, who has never met the mother
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Survive the Night
  • This is Not a Test (This is Not a Test, #1)
  • Welcome to the Dark House (Dark House, #1)
  • Fire & Flood (Fire & Flood, #1)
  • Everyone Dies in the End
  • Strangelets
  • Glitch (Glitch, #1)
  • A Mother's Night Gift (Ragoru Romance #1)
  • Mount Dragon
  • Vaant (The Galaxos Crew, #1)
  • Corsairs: Adiron (Corsair Brothers #1)
  • Krampus and the Crone
  • Takkeo: A SciFi Alien Romance (The Azziarin Series Book 9)
  • A Family for the Alien Warrior (Treasured by the Alien, #4)
  • Jakke (The Azziarin, #1)
  • Alien Monster (Alien Abductors, #3)
  • The Young World (The Young World, #1)
  • The Fade
See top shelves…
Anne Applegate is the author of THE LAST ACADEMY as well as this little blurb right here. She always thought writing about herself in third person would feel pretentious and weird, but it turns out she kind of enjoys it.