Start by marking “Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet” as Want to Read:
Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet

Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet

Can you meet your calcium needs if you’re only eating plant-based foods? Is a vegan pregnancy safe? What about the link between soy foods and breast cancer? How does a plant-based diet affect weight loss, aging, and fertility? In Vegan for Her, dietitian Virginia Messina tackles the issues most pertinent to women who follow or who are considering a vegan diet, and JL Field ...more
Published July 9th 2013 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

To ask other readers questions about Vegan for Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan for Her

Start your review of Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
Lisa Vegan
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all vegan/vegan interested women & all who care about nutrition & enjoy some plant foods
5 stars and not a smidgen less. I’d give it more than 5 stars if I could. This book exceeded my high expectations. This is a must read book for vegan women, vegan interested women, and anyone who cares about plant based nutrition.

I will keep it in a convenient place for easy reference, and I intend to frequently refer to it.

This is a marvelous book, so engaging, so informative, so well organized, and it is fun to read. The two authors have written their own distinct sections, but reading this b
K
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
A good read for women who are new to veganism. The author presents what appears to be a balanced view of nutrition in light of recent research. One remarkable feature is the discussion of research methods in the early chapters. This simple discussion clarifies why some studies are sound and why others are not - typically a good foundation for reading any book that espousing the benefits and weaknesses of particular nutritional approaches. While the recipes at the end are fine, they are by no mea ...more
Amy
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having recently discovered a few health concerns, I thought it best to purchase a few solid nutrition books, and Vegan for Her by dietitian Virginia Messina was one of them. It provided precise and comprehensive recommendations for all women in our varied phases in life in a simple, to the point, easy to digest writing style. What I liked best what that Messina wasn't trying to "sell" veganism as the best, cure all diet, she was realistic in presenting the possible issues that may develop if not ...more
Cat
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegan-vegetarian
Vegan for Her is thorough and accessible. It's unlike a lot of other "popular" books on veganism and food politics in that it's well-documented with citations throughout to back up Messina's claims. It makes a difference when you're able to trace arguments and claims back to studies and vetted research. I loved the break down of the chapters, the resource guide (with resources beyond food), and recipes. I also appreciate that Messian reiterates throughout the need to keep everything in perspecti ...more
Liana
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ginny Messina writes in a logical and well-researched way. Barely a sentence went by without citing a reputable scientific source, but at the same time, this book was not dry or difficult to take in. She is also refreshingly unbiased; she will not frame the case for veganism by attacking the choices of omnivores in attempt to strengthen the case for veganism (nor does she dwell on the horrible circumstances that millions of farmed animals endlessly endure). Rather, she presents clear cut evidenc ...more
Leigh Matthews
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A highly accessible and informative book, with a good measure of intelligence and sense sorely lacking in many others in the field. Great for vegans, aspiring vegans, and nonvegans alike, as well as for those who aren't women as there's plenty of general health info here and some great recipes in the last section of the book.

Read it, buy a copy for a friend, leave a copy on transit - pass on the astonishing news that, hey, veganism isn't impossibly difficult, can be healthy at all stages of lif
Kathleen
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a really informative book regarding nutrition for vegan ladies. It also dives a little into vegan living that doesn't involve food as well. Much of the information I kind of already knew as I am a health care professional and have been vegan for 4 years. I love to do nutrition research so much of the information wasn't new to me. However, I still found it fabulous and is an excellent read for anyone. I recommended it to my non-vegan girlfriends, one being a registered dietician whom I th ...more
Laura JC
Excellent and concise presentation of the vegan diet and lifestyle. Besides nutrition information and details on how to maintain good health, the authors talk about applying vegan principles to other consumer products. Especially helpful to me is the section called "When Being a Vegan is Stressful" - how not to despair when the world around us is not vegan.
I look forward to using the many recipes, which look tasty and easy.
Thanks to both authors.
Andrea K
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This guide was very informative - I wish it had been around when I went vegan three years ago, since it deals with many misconceptions and important issues that women going vegan should be aware of. I especially enjoyed her cautionary word on protein - so often we are questioned about the source of protein, so we become hyperaware of what we are eating. But too much protein is not a good thing either! Ginny made it all very clear and accesible
Marissa Rath
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this book is an amazing resource for women. Women have such special needs and a diet change can help so much! They have some amazing recipes in here as well. Ginny and JL are such strong vegan women and awesome role models. I highly recommend to anyone looking to get a grip on their health and future.
Andreas Michaelides
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, it shows you step by step what you need to do to thrive on a plant based diet as a woman.
It proves that a plant based diet does work for women and is practical and sustainable.
Highly recommended to all women that want to have a healthier life and also a healthier life for their future kids or for the kids they already have.

Aug 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I need photos with my recipes.
Max
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Useful information about women and vegan diets! Pretty useful book.
Pamela
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
A very dry read. Lots of pertinent information and data is presented in a very boring way. Still, I did find much of it interesting. The recipes at the back of the book are very basic, so good for a beginner or one that doesn't cook much. But I was not inspired to try a single one. This is a good resource book, but it will not go on my shelf. If I need the information I can always check this book out at the library at a future date.
Molly
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid book with a lot of science backed plant based nutrition info.
Corinne
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: smart-books
Very helpful and informative!
Flynn
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, food
reading books aimed at cis women is always a bit uncomfortable, but the book never has the "AS ALL WE WOMEN KNOW" vibe. And it's quite good! Meticulous about sourcing and impecabbly organized.
Ági
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good New Year's resolution - to be more conscious about how I eat what I eat. :)
Elyse
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, nonfiction, cooking
I eventually just skimmed through it.
Nussumiyoko
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
beneficial. a good resource.
recipe part is not so much helpful for me personally.
good and inspiring message
Samantha
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-wellness
Incredibly informative! I love how this book is research-based and cites all the sources. Not only is it informative, it is also practical and easy to follow. I will be keeping this one on my bookshelf for easy reference!
Kristin
This book is an excellent reference book for plant-based/vegan women. Part one is filled with clear, concise information on how to construct a healthy vegan diet. The first two chapters of part two create the basis to understand the rest of the information in the book. The remaining chapters in parts two and three cover dietary needs for specific situations.

The writing style is a little dry, but the information is well-presented and easy to understand. It is not a "diet" book and it never reads
Rachel
The majority of the book expounded on the health benefits of being becoming a female vegan, and covered medical conditions that can be avoided or damages lessened by maintaining a plant-filled diet. I learned the importance of magnesium and Vitamins B12 and D supplements for all women, but especially for vegans as these vitamins and minerals are important for a healthy body. Magnesium is especially important if you have a history of migraines, as I do. The back section of the book had vegan reci ...more
Naz
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a resource to fast track your transition to a healthy, sustainable and proactive vegan and/or plant based diet, definitely pick this book up. Filled with plenty of simple, directed and easy to understand advice, it covers common health issues in women in depth. Also, I recommend to visit her blog and look into Jack Norris's blog too. Vegan Society can also be helpful! Good luck!
Amanda
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great resource for women with any interest in their health; vegan or not. This will definitely stay on my bookshelf and be picked back up from time to time, when certain chapters speak to me more ;) Recipes from JL look great and I loved her little chapter on taking veganism beyond the plate. Highly recommended.
Tammy
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. In fact, I love it so much I immediately added it to my to-read pile again! So much to learn about nutrition that I couldn't absorb it all in one go. Ready to read through it a second time and inspire myself to make even more changes. This will be on my shelf, dog-eared with notes in the margins, for years to come!
A.
A really fantastic, clear and helpful book - with great recipes - about what vegan women need to know about nutrition. I consider this book something of a "bible" for vegans who are anxious about nutrition or just want some good staple recipes - strongly recommend as a gift (to others or yourself!)
Adriana
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm impressed with the amount of information in every aspect of health for women in this book. It's interesting that I was reading about pregnancy and menopause and just thinking about the foods I need to add in my diet even though I'm not in any of those stages. It'll be interesting adding in New recipes and foods I'm not usually comfortable with. I'm a lazy cook.
Cathy
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very useful and mostly thorough discussion on the vegan diet for women and women's health. The authors carefully researched their material and were objective in presenting their findings. I would have liked to see more discussion on sugar and flour, but overall a beneficial book and one I will keep.
Megan Roberts
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it for both vegan women and women who are trying to eat a more healthy plant based diet. I insisted my mom get her own copy just for the information on menopause and recipes in the back. A great book to have on your shelf.

• The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes
  • Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet
  • Never Too Late to Go Vegan: The Over-50 Guide to Adopting and Thriving on a Plant-Based Diet
  • The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol
  • exit RACISM. rassismuskritisch denken lernen
  • The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
  • Dîner à Montréal
  • Le Consentement
  • To the Finish Line: A World Champion Triathlete's Guide to Your Perfect Race
  • The Champion Mindset: An Athlete's Guide to Mental Toughness
  • Surfacing: From the Depths of Self-Doubt to Winning Big and Living Fearlessly
  • The Haywire Heart: How too much exercise can kill you, and what you can do to protect your heart
  • Running the Dream: One Summer Living, Training, and Racing with a Team of World-Class Runners Half My Age
  • No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work
  • Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
Interests: books, animals, my cats, your cats, all other cats, gardening, piano, vintage 1930s-40s textiles, animal rights, vegan knitting, vegan cooking.

Favorite books: My "always and forever" favorites: the Betsy-Tacy books, Jane Austen, Fannie Flagg, I Capture the Castle, Lonesome Dove, To Kill a Mockingbird.

I'm a dietitian and public health nutritionist, specializing in vegan nutrition. I sh