Start by marking “Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia” as Want to Read:
Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia

Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia

Frenchie Garcia can’t come to grips with the death of Andy Cooper. Her friends didn’t know she had a crush him. And they don’t know she was the last person with him before he committed suicide. But Frenchie’s biggest concern is how she blindly helped him die that night.

Frenchie’s already insane obsession with death and Emily Dickinson won’t help her understand the role she
Published May 28th 2013 by Running Press Kids (first published January 1st 2013)

Be the first to ask a question about Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia

Laura Zimmerman
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book at the suggestion of my fiance, who won it in a Goodreads giveaway. It was a book that immediately got my attention when I started reading and kept my attention throughout. It's a book that most of us can connect with on some level, as grief is a universal feeling we all experience at some point in our lives.

This book is written for the YA audience but as an almost-50-year-old I found it compelling. The author has done what often amazes me: she has managed to put words to paper
Bethany Crandell
Frenchie Garcia was that girl I kept a curious eye on in high school. You know the one...artistic and slightly mysterious, listens to indy music, owns her individuality, and makes smoking cigarettes look cool. I always wondered what her life was like compared to mine, and whether or not we were as different on the inside as we appeared to be on the outside.

Thanks to Frenchie's story, I think I know the answer.

Sure she's obsessed with death, and chats it up with a dead Emily Dickinson at the ceme
Jenni Arndt
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-own
"I close my eyes and try to focus only on the buzz and the pain, but all I can see is Andy. Andy in his room, alone, swallowing pills, lying down and convulsing to death. Is that how it went? Did he maybe change his mind halfway through it, but it was too late? He couldn't even get up to get help? Or was every agonizing second better than what he was leaving behind?" -Quoted from an unfinished ARC

I was nervous going into this one. Having not read anything by Emily Dickinson nor knowing much ab
Rob Slaven
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As I say almost every time, I received this book via a GoodReads drawing. Despite this kind and consideration my candid opinions follow.

Our protagonist, Frenchie, is in a definite funk. She's generally a rather dark and dour character in the best of times but over the past four months things seem to have gotten steadily worse since that boy down the street committed suicide...

For the second time in three days I'm writing a review about characters dealing with grief. While the first was grief as
Haley ~ YA-Aholic
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Nope" I say. "But I believe in assholes at first sight." ~Frenchie to Colin on the topic of love at first sight

Death Dickinson and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia (quite the mouthful of a title huh?) took me by surprise. Going into Death Dickinson I really wasn't sure what to expect, the premise sounded promising, but I hadn't really heard much about it. I decided even though I hadn't heard much on it, I was going to take a chance on it, and boy, am I glad I did.

No one knew that Frenchie
Amy
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
READ THIS BOOK
JeanBookNerd
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Jenny Torres Sanchez’s Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia is the detailed rendering of a young person’s grief. For Frenchie Garcia, she’s always been that person in high school who is a bit different from everyone else. She certainly portrayed a dark but unique individuality. She’s fully artistic and there was something mysterious about her. When a night that started off as exhilarating ended up being horrifying, author Jenny weaves a clever and unique story that shows th ...more
Jenna Howland
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My immediate reaction to this book was "holy shit I am in love!" (yea yea, sorry for dropping a curse word). Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia is a beautifully written young adult novel. Filled with philosophical questions and deep emotion, this novel was a stunner. I had anticipated that I would enjoy the book and would recommend it to my students- I didn't anticipate charging through all 272 pages in one evening. Jenny Torres Sanchez did a marvelous job creating deep c ...more
Shylynn Nowacyzk
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in my Hispanic good books class. I think that Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia is a very well written book. I have not read a book since August of 2016 because my mother had burned our house down and is now in jail for arson, and reading was the only thing that kept us close. Just like Frenchie was searching for closure, I think I found mine by reading this book. I was able to be pulled out of my funk. This book gripped my attention throughout the whole ...more
Lisseth (Read-a-holicZ)
**ORIGINALLY ON READ-A-HOLICZ, HERE!**

4.5 STARS:

AH! I needed that. Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia *long title* was such an EMOTIONAL, HEART CHURNING, INTENSE, PHILOSOPHICAL, and MOVING book that makes you question and ask about EVERYTHING! I was hooked from the first page which has an Emily Dickinson poem *Emily is my FAVORITE poets* and I really could not put this book down!

This book takes us through Frenchie's life after Andy Cooper. She spent this one amazing n
Alicia (A Kernel of Nonsense)
Frenchie Garcia is stuck in a rut. With graduation in the rear-view mirror, it’s time for Frenchie to figure out her future. The problem is, she can’t seem to find the motivation. Ever since her classmate Andy Cooper died, Frenchie’s thoughts have revolved more and more around death. What no one knows is that Andy spent his last night with Frenchie and what she thought was the beginning of something ended up being his final goodbye to the world. Now Frenchie must find a way to accept what happen ...more
Bella
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First off I want to thanks Jenny Torres Sanchez for this book I was very excited to read it and be on the tour with her and Book Nerd tours!

It’s a fast read but one that’s very emotional. For a young girl dealing with a death of a boy she liked was gripping. Frenchie is dealing with some pretty heavy stuff in this one and I was just hooked I wanted to know what happened to her and why she was so upset and depressed. I don’t want to give too much away because you will take the journey with Frenc
There's something clearly wrong with Frenchie: she's depressed, doesn't want to hang out with her friends (even as Joel is pulling away because of his involvement with Lily), didn't get into art school and doesn't seem to care, and when Robyn tries to set her up with Colin she's rude and obnoxious. Then, at the depths of her despair, she asks Colin to hang out with her one night - a night the mimics the night she spent with Andy Cooper, recent suicide and former classmate.

Their night is relative
Richard Cardenas
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-favorites
This has become one of my favorites of 2013.

Going into this book I was expecting from the synopsis that is was going to be morbid, funny, and weird. It was still morbid but not funny or weird. It made me sad at parts and I nearly cried at certain parts of this book. Suicide is something that hits home for me, I used to get suicidal thoughts when I was younger and one of my friends when I was thirteen shot himself because he was gay. That changed my life and I will never forget him. I liked the r
Eric Devine
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent look at a teen at ends with death and its tragic, sudden reality. It is not sappy or melodramatic, but rather in touch with the reality of the myriad reactions to suicide. There is no universal truth to guide Frenchie through her rather unique predicament. And although she may hope for one, ultimately she ends up understanding the futility of such a search. But what she does learn about herself and about the fragility and importance of life is the heart of the story, and one ...more
Heather Panella
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wanted to give this 3.5 stars, but bumped it up a bit because it was good and we all know GoodReads has something against half stars! I liked the story and the characters, although they all had their moments of insanity and annoyingness. Sanchez's writing and plot has echoes of John Green's Paper Towns and a tiny bit of Chris Crutcher's penchant for darkness, so it will appeal to fans of those authors, but it still stands on its own and manages to be something unique. A good read, but a sad on ...more
yassi
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
That was great, exactly the kind of book I love.
I wished there was a bit more of a conclusion at the end, to wrap everything up more nicely, but I loved the themes in this: death and life and friendship, moving on from people and things you know and why people do things they do.

I enjoyed this a lot!
Christine (TheOtherChristineThatReads) McMillan
3.75 stars.

I really liked this book.

There are some obvious flaws - an underwhelming ending, sometimes try-hard dialogue, and a bit of a rushed relationship. But hey, I think it well-written for the most part, and that as bitchy as Frenchie is, she is self-aware about her flaws, and genuinely accountable for them. I like the journey she takes, I think it is important.

I think the way suicide is portrayed in this novel is definitely unlike what I have ever read before. I don't want to spoil it, s
Amity
This was a fast-paced read, but I couldn't really connect with it. I felt like I should, despite the fact that I'm not the intended audience, as I was similar to Frenchie in many ways as a teen (though I didn't hate dogs - this was an offhand comment about Frenchie at the start of the book and is never brought up again, but it made me immediately distrust her).

I feel like the structure of the book was a hurdle for my enjoyment. It's a third of the way through the story when we finally get Frenc
abi rae (abiraereads)
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
*** 2.5 STARS ***

i didn't really take away anything from this book. some parts were deep or cute and i liked bits of the relationships between frenchie, her friends, and colin, but others were pretty morbid and gloomy. even with considering the themes in this book, the whole story felt unrealistic and not needed.
Stephanie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good YA read on a tough subject (teen suicide). Excellent for high school readers who are looking for something to read that’s not a school assignment. Easy reading, good plot with relatable characters.
Kassandra
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an ok contemporary I do wish it was longer! The ending felt a bit rushed to me but it is one that I enjoyed reading!
Jenn
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Very morbid and really had me down for a long time, but beautiful in its own way too, especially towards the end. I didn't appreciate how the author made smoking seem so cool.
Veronica F
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A little slow to start, but I found that I kept wanting to know more and more!
Rose
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
My decision to read this book was pretty shallow, I’ll admit: I was drawn to the simple, gorgeous cover and couldn’t look away. It was just SO BEAUTIFUL. It totally captivated me.

The thing about books with lovely covers is that sometimes the inside of the book is so very disappointing. Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia was anything but disappointing. It was exactly what I needed when I needed it, and I am so happy to have read this book.

I actually read the book aloud fo
Julie
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book grabbed me from the start and didn't let go until I was done with it. Quite literally seeing I finished it 2am. I instantly wanted to know everything about all the characters and how they interact with each other. Great little read.
Jessica
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read, as it is a YA novel, but still compelling. I appreciated the exploration of grief and loss. Likable yet flawed characters. An overall good read.
Rachael
See more of my reviews @ Moosubi Reviews!

When I read YA contemporaries, there are usually three groups that they fall into. One, I find the novel’s characters or plot really annoying and end up completely hating the book. Two, it’s a short and sweet story, one that I mildly enjoy and swoon during reading. Or, rarely, there’s the chance that I completely fall in love with the story, whether it be because there’s a bookish boyfriend I really swoon for or a tale so heartbreaking I almost cry. Well,
Heather
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Frenchie is obsessed with death. And she's depressed. And who wouldn't be? Her long time crush took his life after spending his last night visiting weird places with her. Does she take it personally? Did he choose to spend his last night with her because she was special? Or did she just happen to be there and had a car? What was that night all about? And how does she get past it? And why don't any of her friends see that something is wrong with her? Why are they so self involved that they can't ...more
Hannah
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
My expectations for Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia were not exactly high - it's a small-press title, and the story sounded like the typical grief plot, something I enjoy but have read a million times before. That's why I was so surprised when I got into the novel - the main idea may be pretty standard, but the characters and subplots are unique and make this a great novel.

Frenchie is what made this whole book work for me. She's not your average YA "heroine" - she's me
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • Beautiful Decay
  • What I Came to Tell You
  • Pieces
  • Fraction of Stone (Fraction, #1)
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices