Start by marking “A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)” as Want to Read:
A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)

A Rescue For A Queen

(Ursula Blanchard #11)

The eleventh enthralling adventure to feature Ursula Blanchard, reluctant spy in the service of Queen Elizabeth I. February, 1571. Ursula is once more plunged into affairs of the state when she escorts her foster daughter Margaret to the Netherlands to meet her suitor. The queen’s spymaster, Sir William Cecil, learns that the wealthy Italian banker Roberto Ridolfi will be ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Creme de la Crime

To ask other readers questions about A Rescue For A Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rescue For A Queen

Start your review of A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)
Beth
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I feel like I'm being generous in giving three stars. Like other readers here, I loved the original series and was thrilled when Fiona Buckley revived the series! But I don't feel the magical spark that the earlier books had. I'm frankly sick of Dale being so hysterically jealous of Ursula and Brockley. Maybe I'm naive, but I think there is more than one kind of love, as even Dale admits in this current book. Brockley loves Dale or he wouldn't have married her. And unless there is a cruel streak ...more
Joanna
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was so excited to discover that Fiona Buckley had started publishing new books in the Ursula Blanchard series. I only wish that my excitement had continued as I read through these later installments in the series.

One of the hallmarks of a good series is that you become familiar with, and really get to know, the recurring characters that the author has created. Unfortunately, Buckley seems to need to remind the reader - or maybe herself - of who each member of the cast is every single time tha
Julie
Perhaps I should stop reading these books, despite my deep affection for them, because I find them really frustrating. They look and sound a bit like the books I love, but are shallower, or more repetitive.
Kimberly Ann
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
From the inside flap: "February 1571. When Ursula's foster daughter Margaret receives a proposal of marriage from a Dutchman she barely knows, her estranged parents ask Ursula to escort her to the Netherlands to meet her suitor. But Ursula's journey has a deeper purpose. When the Queen's spy-master Sir William Cecil (Lord Burghley) learns that banker Roberto Ridolfi will be honoring the wedding celebrations, he asks Ursula to find out what he's (Ridolfi) up to. For Cecil fears that Ridolfi may b ...more
Kathleen Buckley
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed the series. I like historical novels with period detail, and I particularly like that the characters change over the course of the series, as people do in real life. The characters are likable (I really can't like a book if I can't like the characters) and seem generally not untrue to the period.
Carol
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Two and a half stars. I enjoy this series but found this book disappointing. Ursula and company traveled from one place to another, constantly saying it was time to go back to England, and then disaster would strike, preventing them from leaving, and leading to a new crisis. I hope this isn't a sign of a deterioration in this series.
Lorraine
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
A Rescue for a Queen is a story that just goes on and on and then just stops. It is advertised as a thriller, but many of the situations that Ursula found herself in and rescues just seemed unbelievable. Consequently the book receives a good solid three stars for being a good story but not one that would be recommended.
Amy
I really like these Ursula Blanchard mysteries. I like the characters, especially the strong women and the strong and compassionate men (Brockley and John Ryder). This one was up to the mark with excitement and historical detail.
Michell Karnes
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ursula a lady during the Elizabethan era is sent on a mission by Lord Burhley and her half sister the Queen to find evidence that Norfolk is planning to aid Mary Stuart in her quest for the Scottish throne and Elizabeth's as well. This mystery is well done and I hope to read more by this author.
Karen
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this book deeply flawed and terribly frustrating. Dale and Brockley are acting like two middle-schoolers in their first relationship. Ursula has the moral fortitude of a banana. And, by the way, it is not usually that easy for a woman in her mid-thirties to get pregnant THAT easily.
Judy King
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I stumbled onto this book, the 11th in a series of mysteries from the 1500s. Now I'm anxious to uncover earlier (and later) stories in this well-written saga about the Englishwoman who not only solves crimes, she occasionally takes on intelligence gathering for the crown.
Pamela Finney
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
While interesting to travel to the Netherlands in this adventure, there were two drawbacks. How Ursula can keep traveling with a maid who is jealous and almost gets her killed is beyond me. The second is a surprise meeting first husband Mathew and what happens, is implausible.
Kathy
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series continues to be very entertaining and always fun.
Karen
This 11th installment in Fiona Buckley's Ursula Blanchard series was better than her previous effort "Queen's Bounty," which was frankly boring.

Unlike other readers I don't have a problem with Buckley re-introducing Matthew de la Roche in "A Rescue for a Queen" (you just KNEW he was going to show up again after Ursula found out he was still alive, or else what was the point of bringing him back?) or Ursula's sleeping with him again (because let's face it, lust can make us do really stupid thing
Jane Irish Nelson
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, historical
When her ward, Margaret becomes betrothed to a Dutchman, Ursula, accompanied by her servants, the Brockleys, travels to the Netherlands to see Margaret both wed and settled. Once there, she discovers that her presence can be useful to Cecil, in investigating a potential plot against Queen Elizabeth. Despite danger to herself and her servants, Ursula reluctantly undertakes the mission, never guessing how long and dangerous the road home may become. Recommended.
Jane Bigelow
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I hadn't read one of the Ursula Blanchard series in quite awhile, and I wonder if that's one reason I enjoyed it more than some of the other Goodreads readers seem to have done. I enjoy the period details--accurate, where I'm able to judge--and the way that even minor characters such as Master van Weede have real personalities. And oh, my, can Buckley ever do suspense! Kidnappings, counter-kidnappings, runs for the border, oh yeah.

I love Ursula, even when she makes bad decisions. Indeed, sometim
Susan
The eleventh enthralling adventure to feature Ursula Blanchard, reluctant spy in the service of Queen Elizabeth I. February, 1571. Ursula is once more plunged into affairs of the state when she escorts her foster daughter Margaret to the Netherlands to meet her suitor. The queen’s spymaster, Sir William Cecil, learns that the wealthy Italian banker Roberto Ridolfi will be hosting their forthcoming wedding – a man who he fears may once again be plotting to put Mary Queen of Scots on the English t ...more
Julia
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoy Ursula, her schemes, the characters, and the detail. I really appreciate the historical accuracy, even though the Spanish Inquisition repulses me beyond belief. I enjoyed the change of pace, in that Ursula not only has to find information but who is also traitorous to the Queen. I appreciate the new perspective that Elizabeth's decision to execute her sister, Mary, came after long, exhaustive periods of trying for alternative means to a solution. It caused me to do research to see if thi ...more
Jenni
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
I agree with a lot of the other reviewers...this is not the best book in the series. At times the story was fantastic and characteristic of the writing I've enjoyed in her other books. Several times, though, the writing seemed off...maybe poor editing? Transitions between time were especially weak...suddenly a chunk of time would pass in the story with a poor accounting of what occurred. The foreshadowing was clumsy and silly...this author has done much better in the past. I love Ursula's charac ...more
Kate
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good entry in the series! Ursula is sent to the Netherlands as an escort for an English girl marrying a farmer from Brussels, BUT, while there she runs into some people from past adventures who definitely wish her ill - as well as her long-lost former husband! Her adventures this time land her in a disused wine cellar enroute to the Inquisition in Spain, from which she is extricated by said former husband - only to travel further into danger....

It all ends well in the end, as Ursula and her band
Lalla
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This the 11th adventure in the series of Ursula Blanchard and her adventures in protecting queen Elizabeth from plots to overthrow her. This story is very well written as Ursula travels to the Netherlands, Spain and Portugal to unravel a plot by Catholics to put Mary, Queen of Scots on the throne of England. The reader learns much about the religious conflicts that still raged during this time and the fear and terror of the Inquisition in Spain.
I like the way the author has the ongoing characte
Martin Turner
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Really gripping in places, but I felt like I joined the story late. This is not the first in the Ursula Blanchard series and it would certainly have helped to have a bit more of the backstory. However, once you get over that, this turns into a pretty good story. Rather daring stuff from the heroine and her servants (who don't seem to know their places!) No real depth to the locations and sense of the time, but you find yourself caring for the well-being of the characters (the main "good" ones an ...more
Karen Douglass
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I've read other books in this series, of which this is number eleven. The premise is that the protagonist, Ursula Blanchard, is the illegitimate half sister of Queen Elizabeth I. In service to her sister Ursula routinely becomes embroiled in dangerous missions to foil the queen's many enemies. As historical fiction, these books are believable, with the huge exception that I don't think any woman could behave as Ursula does. But the story is fun anyway and the language clear and imaginative.
Margaret Sankey
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Cecil uses the cover of a family wedding to force Ursula and the usual entourage to go to Spanish-occupied Brussels to interfere in the latest Ridolfi plot to get Catholic assistance and restore Mary Stuart to the throne. Buckley tacks trips to Rome and Madrid into 50 pages at the end, pausing only to illustrate SPANISH TYRANNY, which would have been the case in the mind of a Tudor supporter, but deserves more than the rushed ride by.
Linda Smatzny
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the 11th book in the Tudor Mystery series featuring Ursula Blanchard. Ursula is the half sister of Queen Elizabeth I and gets put into harms way to help keep the queen safe especially from Mary Queen of Scots. Again there is a plot to put Mary back in power and Catholics into power. Also Ursula reunites with Matthew a former husband/lover.
Georgia Lengyel
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I've read all the books and like everyone else was really glad that Fiona Buckley was adding books to the series. This final one is really too much - just too many almost got caught or caught - for one book. I hope if there are any more that they will not be so unbelievable. I also hope Dale gets with the program. She gets whinier and whinier with each book.
Andrea
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Buckley's series of historical fiction with her main character Ursula Blanchard are always interesting and this one was no exception. It did feel a little forced to me-like she was stringing out the plot to make a certain number of pages. Still, I know the characters well and it was good to read about them again.
Sandra
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've always enjoyed this series, and the historical detail is always interesting. This book, though, wasn't up the the standard set by the first few books. The story was not as interesting or suspenseful, although the details of the Inquisition and the plots and treasons surrounding Mary Stuart were very good. Overall, it's worth reading if you like the series.
Chris
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I've not read any of the other books in the series but I dont feel the need. The story wasn't compelling nor were the characters engaging. A nice diversion but entirely skippable if ypu have other things on your list.
Kayla Tornello
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
I enjoyed the period details in this book, but the characters just weren't that interesting to me. While there is plenty of action in the book, it still somehow manages to feel like nothing ever happened. I have enjoyed other books in this series much more.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 11, 2015 10:27AM

• A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • A Duty to the Dead (Bess Crawford, #1)
  • A Pattern of Lies (Bess Crawford, #7)
  • Murder on Pleasant Avenue (Gaslight Mystery #23)
  • One Fatal Flaw (Daniel Pitt #3)
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • A Forgotten Place (Bess Crawford, #10)
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • A Bitter Truth (Bess Crawford, #3)
  • A Question of Honor (Bess Crawford, #5)
  • A Casualty of War (Bess Crawford, #9)
  • The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • Thanks a Lot, Mr. Kibblewhite: My Story
  • Death in Focus (Elena Standish #1)
Valerie Anand is a British author of historical fiction. Under the pen name Fiona Buckley she writes the series of historical mysteries, set in the reign of Elizabeth I of England, featuring "Ursula Blanchard" (whose full name is Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche Stannard). Under her own name she writes historical fiction based on the royalty of England and the Bridges over Time series which fo ...more

Ursula Blanchard (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4)
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • The Fugitive Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #7)
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)
  • Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)

News & Interviews