Jump to ratings and reviews

Eat It! Food Adventures with Marco Polo: Volume One: Leaving Home

Designed to attract young readers to the fun of cooking and eating more fruits and vegetables, this adventure story and cookbook follows Ottavio Fornero, a pint-sized member of Marco Polo’s expedition, as he discovers wondrous foods through the rich cultural traditions of people along the Silk Road. Ottavio journeys from Venice to the Middle East, sharing 36 easy-to-follow recipes inspired by the trip along the way. By making food an adventure, the book provides parents with an exciting way to read, learn, and cook with their children and share their family’s long-held food traditions while creating new ones. Also included is a medieval world map showing Polo’s actual expedition routes; glossaries of cooking terms, techniques, and utensils; an extensive illustrated history of the ingredients; modern adaptations; and historical trivia.

160 pages, Paperback

First published September 10, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Gracie Cavnar

1 book65 followers
Philanthropist, Gracie Cavnar is a lifelong cook and gardening enthusiast. She spent the last 14 years researching, creating and perfecting the award winning and nationally recognized nonprofit Recipe for Success Foundation. She has received many honors and recognition for her work and grown her Seed-to-Plate Nutrition Education™ for children from a small pilot in Houston to one with national scope, teaching tens of thousands of children that growing and cooking their own healthy food can be easy, tasty and fun—an adventure! Cavnar’s enthusiasm for making healthy food fun for children inspired the “Eat It! Food Adventures” series. She has donated the rights to and proceeds from the book to Recipe for Success Foundation. Follow Gracie on twitter @graciecavnar

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews
Profile Image for Justin Hamilton.
3 reviews15 followers
October 7, 2012
**Let me beging with full disclosure: The author of this book is my mother (Here after referred to as "Gracie"), so assume I write these words with both pride and heavy bias.

Eat it! Food Adventures is as much a tool for family engagement as it is a good read and an instructive cook book for young learners.

Gracie has done a masterful job weaving together history, narrative, and the culinary arts in a way that will surely build a lifelong love of cooking in any young reader (and maybe even a parent or two)!

Profile Image for Gracie Cavnar.
Author 1 book65 followers
September 26, 2012
Advance reviews of the book have been glowing:
"A fabulously fun read and a great way to teach kids about healthy homemade food!"
Norah O'Donnell – co-host, CBS This Morning and co-author, Baby Love.
“Wonderful—love the illustrations and how they weave into the recipes. I look forward to reading it with my kids.”
Amanda Hesser –author, The Essential New York Times Cookbook and editor, Food52.
"What a rich repast! The pages are as colorful and appealing as the meals described in them. I dog-eared at least a dozen to cook with my own niece and nephew."
Lauren Purcell – editor-in-chief, Every Day with Rachael Ray.
“Eat It! Food Adventures is the best way to make any kid want to cook dinner!”
Mimi Swartz – executive editor, Texas Monthly
“Gracie Cavnar cooks up a delicious tale destined to make readers of all ages hungry for more.” Molly Glentzer – writer, The Houston Chronicle and author, Pink Ladies and Crimson Gents.
"This book is certain to set young kids sailing on their own food adventures.”
Bettina Siegel – editor, The Lunch Tray.
“Such a beautiful, intelligent vehicle of food knowledge for our children.”
Heather Carlucci – award-winning chef, farmer and forager, New York City.
1 review4 followers
October 8, 2012
Having read this marvelous book, I'm already hungry for more. Eat It! artfully weaves together history, sociology, cookery and an intriguing story of adventure. Those who appreciate excellent illustration will love paging through the colorful plates.

Grown-ups and younger people can learn together over this series while reconnecting in the kitchen, and the go-to nature of these time-tested recipes will make this a treasured piece of one's personal book collection. I hope this can also become part of school curricula.

I wouldn't be surprised if this series inspired more than a few young folks to dedicate their lives to the art of sourcing, preparing and eating real food.

Profile Image for Molly Sesata kaminski.
1 review1 follower
October 9, 2012
Eat It! Food Adventures is a home run in every way! A beautifully written and illustrated adventure story with delicious complimentary recipes and a rich food history section that children and adults will love! I cook with children on a regular basis using this book, we prepare dishes from the recipe section and while we are waiting for our recipe to finish baking or cooking, we read a chapter from the adventure story. if you have kids of your own, this book is a must for the kitchen. What a great way to enjoy some family time, cooking, reading, and eating together! Don't miss the pancakes on page 52, I made them with my class yesterday, they were a huge hit, the perfect pancake!
October 11, 2012
What an exciting culinary journey! I am always looking for new ways to get my children excited about creating their own healthy meals and this book does just that. We read our way through the adventure story at night and create yummy snacks and meals after school and on the weekends. My children not only enjoy learning about how a boy their age lived long ago, but also find it so interesting to learn about food from across the world. This is a MUST-READ for adults and kids!
Profile Image for Erin Rydgren.
66 reviews1 follower
February 1, 2015
This book was really a lot of fun. The artwork was great and the recipes were easy to follow and different. My kids enjoyed reading the story together and have picked out which recipes we want to try first. I wish that the story hadn't ended so abruptly, but it was a good start to an epic adventure. I received this book as part of a goodreads giveaway.
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.