Start by marking “Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids: 175 Projects for Kids of All Ages to Create, Build, Design, Explore, and Share” as Want to Read:

Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids focuses on craft projects that children, aged three to twelve, can make with their parents. These projects are fun, yet serve a practical purpose; children can wear, decorate, and play with what they make. Filled with ideas for a range of ages, skill levels, and interests, this book lets children's creativity run wild, while creati ...more
Published June 18th 2013 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids

Start your review of Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids: 175 Projects for Kids of All Ages to Create, Build, Design, Explore, and Share
H
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This might be a 5 star if the title didn't say "for kids". A good portion of these crafts would be difficult for the average adult to do, never mind a kid.

Maybe "Adult crafts for kids to play with (and some to look at), and oh yeah kids can do a few of them, maybe".

I got a few neat ideas, like oh yeah, we should paint rocks, and make pipe cleaner animals, but to be honest I made my toddler a garage out of an old shoebox and he looked at me like I was special and continued to play with the garag
Rebecca
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, crafty
Recommended for rich nannies. And by that I mean, you need some means, time, and maximal one-on-one supervision to do most of these, creative and beautiful though they are. Two stars for my purposes.

Of note:
p. 30 clothespin characters
p. 87 house of cards
p. 200 tricked-out shoelaces
p. 259 bottle piggy banks
Kirsten
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think these crafts are a little too advanced and complicated for kids. The book is more geared towards the adults making the crafts and then the kids playing with them. I don't think even I could do some of the crafts in there. They look a little hard.
Boxofdelights
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Read for research for Wiscon Kids' Programming. A good variety degrees of difficulty. I have not yet tried the instructions on actual kids. I'd love to do the peg board marble runs. I'm going to search for a fiber artist who would like to teach felting.
Joy Lane
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a lot of good ideas
Sara
This was amazing and I cannot wait to do these crafts with my daughter.
Marleene
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Unlike many of Martha Stewart's books, this one doesn't seem to be as obsessively researched or painstakingly researched by her staff. The photographs of each craft are lovely and will be tempting to kids and adults, provoking what I imagine will be great longing to make one "just like the picture"but this will be quite difficult in many cases.

For example the friendship bracelets on pp 180-181 give beautifully photographed examples of varying complexity - and two confusing drawings as to how to
Laura Ellison
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, crafting
If you don't mind spending some money, if you don't mind doing most of the projects and then once you complete them kids can play with them, then you might like this book. I was thinking it would be crafts that kids could do by themselves, and I assumed that it would be feasible for them to pay for them as well with allowance money. That is not so. Some of these projects would be difficult for even skilled crafters to make, much less children. Plus some require very specific items that aren't ju ...more
September Michaud
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
I read through this book looking for projects for my upcoming Art in the Park library program. I was specifically looking for SIMPLE but INTERESTING arts and crafts that the kids (preschool+) could do outside with their parents.

I found a few things, made notes about them, and gave this book back to the library. While not all of the crafts were useful to me, in fact a handful I mostly ignored, there were some that I would like to try in future programs and there was one in particular that I woul
Penny McGill
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-kids
We have enjoyed this book so much. Beautiful illustrations and clear instructions combine to make a great resource for any family. It would be worth purchasing a copy for your home or giving as a fantastic gift to young kids (they'll grow into the trickier crafts) or an older kid as they would be able to find success the the projects on their own.

Although we have gone through it together a few times we'll be keeping it out of the library until the end of the lending period as we are in the midst
Marcia
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A terrific craft book for children of all ages. There are projects here that will appeal to 4 year olds and some geared toward Tweens. Martha is a master of detail, and her knack for creating attractive projects shines through. This top-notch collection is beautifully photographed, with clear instructions. Projects use common materials for the most part, most found around the house or easily purchased at the crafts store. Projects are well balanced for girls and boys. I loved the felted purses a ...more
SoundofSilence_BookFan
I usually love all things Martha but this book just did not strike me. Almost everyone one of the crafts requires not only adult supervision and quite a few seem like the adult does the entire craft. The crafts are, in my opinion, mainly aimed at older children. I had expected more to be young child friendly since her intro mentions her young grand daughter. The book would definitely not work for a toddler or young preschooler in my house.
Christiane
I didn't pick this up with high expectations and some of the crafts (Cross-stitch Family Portraits! Solar System Bedroom!) are not going to be practical in a library or school setting, but other crafts, like the adorable Cotton-Ball Sheep, are simple enough for even a Toddler Story Time, and there were several science-based crafts that would be great for our upcoming Summer of Learning, such as the Giant Bubble Wand and Crafty Cars. Worth checking out!
Nicole
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a great book, just not for someone like me (i.e. not very crafty). The photographs are beautiful and there's a wide range of crafts to choose from. I don't think there's a lot of crafts in here that smaller kids could do themselves, however it could inspire a crafty parent or teacher to come up with something for the kids they have. And an older craft-loving kid would absolutely love this book!
Amy
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun ideas in here, especially like that so many of the craft involve reused or recycled materials instead of having to buy new supplies or kits. Mostly for older kids though, I wouldn't attempt many of these with children under the age of 7 (depending on the kid), too complex for most young kids.
Heather
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well thought-out, well laid-out, and full of fun ideas. I like the balance between easier projects and more involved projects (from embellishing flip-flops to felting). I particularly like the "seasonal" section, with fun ideas for Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day, etc. My four-year-old daughter and I are excited to give these projects a try.
Glenna
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've never been a Martha Stewart fan. I'm more of an Erma Bombeck kind of gal myself. But this book actually has some good ideas and most of the crafts are relatively simple and done with items you probably already have or can easily get. I checked it out from the library. Don't think I'd buy it, but I like quite a few of the ideas.
Rosalie
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arts-crafts
I happily read and looked through, and looked through this creative and crafty read. I would even recommend having this as a go-to for reference when you need some ideas. The book is well put together with organized sections, and most any of the crafts can be made or altered to your own preferences. 5 Stars, well worth the look and read :)
Vivian
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-cook-books
These crafts first appeared in the Martha Stewart Kids Magazine (which I'm so sad stopped publication). I'm so glad there's now a compilation of these ideas.

As a children's librarian I'm always looking for things to do with pre-schoolers and grammar schoolers and middle schoolers. All of these crafts can be done with little or no investment in supplies.
Sherri Osborn
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
So many creative projects in this book. With 175 fun and unique projects in this book, everyone will enjoy it... You can read my entire review here: http://aboutfamilycrafts.com/martha-s... ...more
Megan
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. A lot of ideas I have seen in the no longer available Martha Stewart Kids Magazine and plenty of new projects. My girls couldn't stop looking at the book and wanted to make a lot of the projects. Would make a wonderful gift to any parent of young children!
Cassie
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Most of the crafts are cute and well thought out, however, they are too complex to be done during a limited Storytime session.
Danielle Heape
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I wanted there to be more new projects. We have seen many of these projects before.
Miss Jessica
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
Super cute, varying difficulty, lots of variety, did I mention super cute? One great idea after another. Some things I'd love to make with my niece or nephew one day.
Cristin
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love it! I cannot wait to do some of the projects with my Girl Scouts and others with my girls at the holidays! I will say many of the projects are for older kids, but still a neat collection.
Amber
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Some really cute ideas.
Kandice
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book would be a fantastic gift for a newly graduated primary-junior teacher. It is loaded with beautiful crafts that could be easily modified to meet the appropriate skill level of the students.
Becky H.
Oct 07, 2013 added it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013
Lots of fun craft ideas for children to make themselves. Several different skill levels too.
Marguarite Markley
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
I'm not sure that kids themselves could do many of the craft ideas in this book. However, many of them are cute and adults would enjoy making them for their children.
Emily Bryan-Reeder
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
Good selection of crafts for children of various ages. The steps were well illustrated and very clear. Some crafts seemed difficult for children, but most were well suited to the age range.

• Rescue, Restore, Redecorate: Amy Howard's Guide to Refinishing Furniture and Accessories
  • What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: Read-Alouds to Get Ready for Kindergarten (Core Knowledge)
  • The Queen V: What No One Ever Tells You (but Everyone Needs to Know) About Intimacy, Sex, and Down-There Health Care
  • The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More
  • So Far From Home: the Diary of Mary Driscoll, an Irish Mill Girl, Lowell, Massachusetts, 1847 (Dear America)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • The Dating Game (Sweet Valley High, #78)
  • Raising Lumie
  • She Made Herself a Home: A Practical Guide to Design, Organize, and Give Purpose to Your Space
  • How Not to Be a Hot Mess: A Survival Guide for Modern Life
  • Real Food Kids Will Love: Over 100 Simple and Delicious Recipes for Toddlers and Up
  • Trick Yourself to Sleep: 222 Ways to Fall and Stay Asleep from the Science of Slumber
  • How to Make a House a Home: Creating a Purposeful, Personal Space
  • Drive Me Crazy (Shaken Dirty, #2)
  • Fade into You (Shaken Dirty, #3)
  • Real Food Kids Will Love: Over 100 simple and delicious recipes for toddlers and up
  • Designology: How to Find Your PlaceType and Align Your Life With Design
  • World's Best Life Hacks: 200 Things That Make Your Life Easier
Martha Stewart is an American business magnate, author, editor and homemaking advocate. She is also a former stockbroker and fashion model. Over the last two decades Stewart has held a prominent position in the American publishing industry; as the author of several books, hundreds of articles on the domestic arts, editor of a national homekeeping magazine, host for two popular daytime television p ...more

News & Interviews