Start by marking “Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook” as Want to Read:
Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook

Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook (Martha Stewart's Cooking School)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  3,518 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Martha Stewart’s Cooking School Now a PBS Series

Published December 20th 2011 by Clarkson Potter (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Martha Stewart's Cooking School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martha Stewart's Cooking School

Hilary
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: martha junkies
Recommended to Hilary by: martha stewart living magazine
Let me first state I am a fan of all things Martha. That said,I'm not really sure who this was intended for; if you don't know how to cook this book will certainly be overwhelming and intimidating, if you already know how to cook, far too basic. Perhaps it is intended as a textbook for people who want to work at MSLO.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Martha Stewart gives you all of the skills you need to be a successful at home cook. Have you ever wondered which knife to use for certain purposes? How about how to make a rue? Martha has that all covered in this book (which has been so helpful that it has been made into a PBS TV Series)! Don't be intimidated by the weight of this book because it does an excellent job of guiding you on how to cook, from the basics to more advanced techniques. As a person who does not consider herself a cook, th ...more
Steven Peterson
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of Martha Stewart's cookbooks are more for advanced chefs than amateurs. This book is one whose recipes I can handle! On page vi, Stewart notes the purpose of this work: "The work has been designed and written as a course of study. . .which requires the student to master the basics before performing more advanced requirements."

There is a lot of good "how to" information upfront (including equipment, knives, seasonings, etc. that one needs in the kitchen).

But it's the recipes that are centra
Holly
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure exactly how to place this one. It is far too overwhelming a volume for a beginning cook, and yet who else would need it?
As a reference of all things cooking, it's certainly comprehensive. I doubt there is a cooking technique that she doesn't explain. But many of the recipes are a tad pretentious. (It IS Martha, after all.) The photography is lovely, as you would expect. Definitely worth a browse, but not sure I'd buy as a cookbook.
Darby
Aug 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From publisher:
"Imagine having Martha Stewart at your side in the kitchen, teaching you how to hold a chef’s knife, select the very best ingredients, truss a chicken, make a perfect pot roast, prepare every vegetable, bake a flawless pie crust, and much more.

In Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, you get just that: a culinary master class from Martha herself, with lessons for home cooks of all levels.

Never before has Martha written a book quite like this one. Arranged by cooking technique, it’s aim
Brendan
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to add to your kitchen shelf of cookbooks, whether you own a couple or hundreds, because Martha, and Company, have put everything you need to keep yourself current and educated on kitchen abilities, into one great super book.

Martha began her career in domestic-keeping instructions and education, she wanted quality in photography and instructions. Some of the recipes back in those early days may have been a bit weak, as time has given way to insight of what her followers want
Sarah Eiseman
Originally posted on sarahsbookshelf.com:

You cannot be a serious cook without at least giving a little credit to Martha Stewart for her work getting people interested in the business of cooking at home. One of Stewart’s older cookbooks, Quick Cook Menus, was one of the first books that I purchased as a new cook. Completely out of my league, it was an eye-opening experience that cooking could be much more complicated than boiling water. Fast forward a decade and I’m much more comfortable not only
Janel
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I'm giving this book five stars. I want to make one thing clear though, I do think that the perfectionism that is characteristic of most Martha Stewart books is intimidating. However, there are very few books that focus on technique like this one does. No vague instructions in this book, it is concise and there are many pictures where cartoon Martha points at things for the illiterate cook. Just kidding. There are lots of pictures though.

This book goes over many major techniques and ways to make
Brenda Cregor
Jul 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am going to do and say something horrifically sassy.

Do not buy this book...unless you like pretty pictures.

Now, I'll admit it. I'm getting it FOR the pictures...but I will NEVER use it to cook one thing.

My bookshelves are replete with Martha Stewart books because she is GREAT at marketing what "looks good" and can definitely "instruct" on how to paint, decorate, build, garden, and make crafts. However, without FAIL, every time I have slaved to make a Martha Stewart recipe, it has fallen short
Andrea
I think I am done with this book for a while. I liked it, but it is too much and I have been looking at it for about 8 weeks now without cooking anything from it. I like it a lot actually, and I love the pictures, but I don't have time for this kind of cooking. I think I would have liked it better if I had read it in the order of things I might like to start cooking with instead of trying to start at the beginning. It seems like the things I would be less likely to cook were closer to the front ...more
Minna
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As with 95% of Martha's recipes, this book was very pretty to look at and everything sounded delicious, but I still felt that I had neither the time nor the patience to make most of it. This cookbook was a significant improvement over most others, though, as pictures were included for almost every recipe (very helpful when you're not sure what the in-progress or finished product is supposed to look like) and there were some somewhat-achievable recipes included (I actually copied two down to try ...more
Katie
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, food
I am super excited to read this. Not only are there recipes there are food buying guides and other essential information about cooking that doesn't appear in your regular cook book.
I heart Martha
Update: I finished it! years of it sitting next to my bed and I did it! There is lots of great information about food. The recipes are all pretty standard Martha. Good solid recipes. This will be a great reference book to have when I am looking to try something new. It also helps build up your skills so
Katie
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great on technique, but most of the recipes involve a few ingredients that the ordinary cook won't have around. This book isn't so much for the person who can't cook as for someone who's comfortable following a recipe and wants to move up to the next level. Lots of photos though, and everything's spelled out pretty well. Wish the recipes had the prep time listed at the top instead of having to go through each step & add it up, but that might be Martha Stewart trying to teach us to read the r ...more
Leena
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are like me and need to start from the beginning, at least for cooking, this is a good book to start with. It is really a cooking school full of lessons on things like what tools are necessary in your cupboard, information on stocks, sauces, and all the other basics you need as a new cook. While I've only been able to get through a few of the lessons, I appreciate the level of detail, step by step instructions and detail she goes into.
Debra Arthur
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I own and have read about 178 cook books and another 30 on entertaining. I never cook the same thing twice, which drives ny husband nuts since his mother always made the same dishes over and over. One does not read cook books cover to cover. I read them while I eat lunch each day and plan out menus for upcoming tailgates or parties. This book will make a great gift for anyone looking to improve their cooking. A good kitchen reference. Enjoyed it!
Kendall
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this book by Stewart and her entourage...a book that is exclusively cooking techniques. It's not a recipe book...it shows how to do things step-by-step with photographs to accompany each step. Explains complicated processes and a few simple ones that are hard to master as well--cutting, slicing and cooking techniques. Great, great book for those who haven't been formally trained as chefs or who want to know more.
Rachaelita
I was astounded by how amazingly detailed this book was. I checked it out of the library to see if it was worth buying. Now I most definitely will be adding it to my bookshelves permanently. One might not even need culinary school after reading the techniques and tips in "Martha's Cooking School". In addition to the basics, she includes rabbit, duck, and sole meuniere! This book would be the perfect book for someone looking to learn to cook or to keep as serious reference.
Deodand
Jan 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It's not a recipe book but a technique book. I find it interesting and will try some of the recipes - but I ain't the type to go around making my own stock and such. I'm sure it is a very worthwhile enterprise but I don't have the hours in my day to devote to that level of cooking. I did find the small section on knife skills interesting.
Heather
What an amazing book so far. It really is like cooking school. This is a textbook basically but a really good one! It's incredibly thorough but just what I need to make sure i know my stuff across the board. Sure some of it I already know, but those parts I just review more quickly than the parts I don't.
Kim
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
4-stars based on how extremely detailed the information is, including a great overview of different cuts of meat, handling various types of foods, and a dictionary of tools; 3 stars for a lack of can-do straight-forward recipes.

It is implied that this is a beginner's cookbook (cooking school), but the recipes are more advanced than for a true beginner.
Lisa N
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this step-by-step instructional cookbook. I have finally perfected scrambled eggs, and I'm working on omelettes. (I've never eaten scrambled eggs which may explain why I've never been able to get them quite right.) I have made the angel food cake several times. A great book for beginner and intermediate cooks.
Mercedes Cordero
Great book to learn the basics and much more. Helps you understand simple things from utensils and what they are for to the different types of herbs, onions and spices and with what types of foods they work. Everything is explained very well, every question answer. Some things (like stocks) are just not practical for me, but it's still wonderful to know how to make them, just in case.
Oct 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just got this, came out Tues. Reading it along side Julia Child's "My Life in France." Makes me want to stay home and cook all day. Book is very informative and will be a nice reference, especially because of the instructive photos that you do not get much of in Joy of Cooking, my main go-to cooking reference until this came out and I started reading about Julia Child.
Mandy
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book isn't my "go to" cookbook for the easy weeknight meal, it is a wonderful addition to my kitchen! In classic Martha form, the layout, pictures, and instructions are perfect. There is not a cooking question or technique left uncovered, it really is like going to a cooking class with Martha (my dream). An excellent addition to any kitchen library.
angrykitty
Jun 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: its-tv, food, 2009
well......i don't really like martha stewart, but i can't deny that the woman knows what she's talking about. unfortunately, many of the things in this particular book are pretty basic, and tough i think it'll be pretty useful, it probably won't be as useful as some other cookbooks that i have....
Dec 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was more about technique than recipes. It was given to me as a gift. It was a little bit boring at some parts. I have been cooking for a while now. So I was really looking for more recipes then technique and food classifications.
Krista
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a shower gift or wedding gift, this is perfect. The information in it is what every new bride/groom needs to know about cooking. Even not so new brides/grooms will benefit from this book!
Mariko
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I was shocked to learn that Martha Stewart's basic cooking book is actually good. I had been skeptical of her for nearly as long as I've known she's existed...and have been converted. I would gift this book to anyone starting out in cooking.
Esther
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys cooking.
This is an excellent and thorough cookbook that gives any home cook a great foundation of useful tips and tricks as well as additional information for anyone interested in going beyond the basics. I will keep this cookbook in my kitchen for as long as I am cooking.
Tammy Collado
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Tammy by: Martha
I read this book cover to cover. I learned so much about different foods, cooking methods, and SO much more. I refer to this book at least once a month or more. This is a must have book for every kitchen.
  • Cooking
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • Forever Summer
  • Julia's Kitchen Wisdom: Essential Techniques and Recipes from a Lifetime of Cooking
  • The Pleasures of Cooking for One
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Rachael Ray Express Lane Meals: What to Keep on Hand, What to Buy Fresh for the Easiest-Ever 30-Minute Meals
  • In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite: 150 Recipes and Stories About the Food You Love
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners
  • Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes
Martha Stewart is an American business magnate, author, editor and homemaking advocate. She is also a former stockbroker and fashion model. Over the last two decades Stewart has held a prominent position in the American publishing industry; as the author of several books, hundreds of articles on the domestic arts, editor of a national homekeeping magazine, host for two popular daytime television p ...more
More about Martha Stewart...

Martha Stewart's Cooking School (6 books)
  • Stocks & Soups: Martha Stewart's Cooking School, Lesson 1: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook
  • Eggs: Martha Stewart's Cooking School, Lesson 2: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook
  • Meat, Fish & Poultry: Martha Stewart's Cooking School, Lesson 3: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook
  • Vegetables: Martha Stewart's Cooking School, Lesson 4: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook
  • Pasta, Dried Beans & Grains: Martha Stewart's Cooking School, Lesson 5: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook