Start by marking “Great North Road” as Want to Read:
Great North Road

Great North Road

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  13,848 ratings  ·  1,181 reviews
In Newcastle-upon-Tyne, AD 2142, Detective Sidney Hurst attends a brutal murder scene. The victim is one of the wealthy North family clones – but none have been reported missing. And the crime’s most disturbing aspect is how the victim was killed. Twenty years ago, a North clone billionaire and his household were horrifically murdered in exactly the same manner, on the tro ...more
Kindle Edition, UK Edition, 1100 pages
Published September 27th 2012 by Tor (first published July 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Great North Road, please sign up.
Micah Sisk In the front of the eBook version, just after the timeline, there is a section called The 2143 St. Libra Northern Geogenetic Expedition which lists al…moreIn the front of the eBook version, just after the timeline, there is a section called The 2143 St. Libra Northern Geogenetic Expedition which lists all the characters...it's not quite a full dramatis personæ but it includes a list of the Newcastle police force, some of the Norths, plus Saul Howard (who isn't part of the expedition or the police force)...but not all the Norths.(less)
Peter Staadecker Well it's a novel, so I guess it doesn't have to be rigorous in all details. However trying to find an out for the author: a geosynchronous orbit is n…moreWell it's a novel, so I guess it doesn't have to be rigorous in all details. However trying to find an out for the author: a geosynchronous orbit is not a geostationary orbit (which is only possible in the equatorial plane, and not stable anyway). A satellite in geosynch orbit moves in a figure 8 pattern returning to its starting point once per planetary day. Would the problem be collisions with the rings during the movement? Or would falling debris from the rings be the problem?
(less)

·  13,848 ratings  ·  1,181 reviews

Start your review of Great North Road
Evgeny
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Peter F. Hamilton is considered to be the best currently active British science fiction writer. After reading this book I agree - with some reservations. He is also considered to be the best space opera writer in English-speaking world. After reading this book I agree - this time without any reservations.
Space Opera
He is also a guy who cannot write anything shorter than 1000 pages even if his life depends on it. Think Stephen King of science fiction. Unlike King he wrote big from the beginning of his car
mark monday
imagine a 13-year-old boy genius. he loves science fiction, he loves world-building, he loves physics and biology and all the sciences. he also loves his family and he definitely loves girls. he loves binge-watching exciting tv shows. he's open-minded and appreciates diversity. overall this is a great kid and I'd be happy to know him. now imagine if this boy genius were to write a book. what would it be full of?

it would be full of GEE WHIZ EXCITEMENT of course! and spaceships! and alien threats!
Liviu
1087 pages !! - UK arc edition

Only a few points for now with a more detailed review later:

I finished Great North Road by Peter Hamilton and on the whole I am a little mixed; addictive but very self-indulgent, a new universe and a somewhat fresh take on the author's usual themes (long life, the rich, sense of wonder, detailed world building, alien aliens...) but also a lot of repetitions...

This is truly a book that should have been slimmed down considerably and could have easily done with much le
Bradley
I'm afraid that this huge doorstopper of a novel is going to be one of those love-hate jobs. I now only love it after having finished it, but I felt my stamina drain and drain and drain through long long passages of mind-numbing boredom and a litany running through my head went, "Where is the editor? Why can't these last 150 pages be safely omitted without losing any story whatsoever?"

*sigh* It's rather the same problem I had with The Reality Dysfunction, although, to be very fair, I think this
Clouds
If you’ve not read one of my reviews before:
“Hello, lovely to meet you. My name is Chris, but I’m here on Goodreads under the ‘handle’ of Clouds because I thought it was a rather nifty moniker – one which captures neatly what stories are to me: subjective shapes seen in the random patterns of clouds, snatched down and bound with words to share with friends over a good cuppa.

Some of my reviews are firmly on-topic, but others tend to waffle and wander. I’m a firm believer that a readers opinion
Ric
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Peter F. Hamilton writes large. He writes 1000 page behemoths of narrative. And he writes with ideas that are space and time spanning, far beyond the usual windows of ordinary lives. And his words are imbued with the power of ideas and concepts far above today's water cooler subjects. Yet, despite the immense dimensions of his imagination, he keeps it all within reach, grounded on human sensibilities, maintaining a keen sense of the grand human drama.

So in this decidedly large book, Hamilton mi

Peter Johnston
Things I learnt from this book:

1. Rich sociopaths are awesome and we should let them do what they want because they are much better at governance and science than faceless bureaucrats.

2. Long expeditions into boring jungle are boring.

3. 1000 pages requires more than two major plots and one minor.

4. Approximately 600 pages of this book could have been removed without affecting the plot.

5. There's no happy ending too pat that can't be used in a welded on ending.
Gary
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This book followed the traditional pattern I have found in this author- detailed astrophysics, well elaborated and constructed worlds, highly integrate characters and sophisticated plots that run concurrently, along with parts that slog down to a near grinding halt.
There are times this author keeps me fascinated. The plot moves quickly, events shock me, and I am riveted. Then I reach parts where everything crawls to a halt. The details in his world building are enormous. So enormous, in fact, my
Chris
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That. Was brilliant.

It took me three weeks to read this nearly 1000 page monster of a book. Normally that would seem like a long time on one book, but not here. A busy schedule kept me from devoting large chunks of time to it, but that was okay. I was able to savor it.

I'd never read Hamilton before, and now I'm a fan. It's rare for a book this size to churn along without boring parts, but this had very few of those. Part mystery, action-adventure, police procedural, epic scale space opera, and
Lindsay
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tamahome
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera

Screw Americans.

12/30/12 -

Come on B&N, I know you have the book in the back. Just give it to me.

And I know you have it too Audible. I can see it on your site when I'm not signed in.

pg 26/948 (32h) - All the high quality tech, thought out world, and characters are there, plus it's a bit more timely. I hope I can finish it. There's quite a map, Time Line, and character list in the front of the book.

Here's the first page of the Time Line:

pg 70/948 - I'm a s
JSS
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I keep reading Hamilton's books. There's a nugget of excitement lurking in them, but in this case it's pretty hard to find.

The book could have easily been cut down to half its size without loss. Like many of his books, it's full of pointless detail. He seems to have an interest in buying property and property development, which we are treated to the details of. We also get endless descriptions of some crazy arcane police procedure. It is only near the end of the book where there
Tom Merritt
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It only took a little more than 9 months to read. And I teared up in the end. Good book.
Jason
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2013
4.5 Stars

I am giving this truly massive read nearly perfect marks as I had so much fun reading this book for such a very long time. Like all Peter Hamilton books he writes, writes some more, and just for good measure, he writes even more. I have come to expect that from him. I appreciate his skill at maintaining such large stories. I even don’t really want his books to end. Could they benefit from editing? I am sure that they would. Would he have a larger audience if his books weren’t so intimid
Dan
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A decent story muddled with far too much technobabble. The story drives itself along well but it seems like once one of the subplots gets intense or interesting it will take a long vacation while the book switches to a subplot. This leads to a constant ramp up then slow release of tension and it gets kind of frustrating. Most of the characters stay very flat and undynamic until they suddenly snap into a new role without much reason to do so. The "twists" if you can call them that are also way to ...more
Fred Hughes
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter F Hamilton’s books have a tendency to be long but that’s because he paints a broad but detailed picture of his characters and the surroundings they find themselves in. The pictures are sharp and the characters compelling and relatable which makes all his books a pleasure to read and enjoy.

In his latest offering we find the North family which through cloning themselves have managed to put themselves in a position of immense wealth and subsequently power. The only drawback to the cloning is
Claire
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, 2012
I like my scifi optimistic not dystopic and Hamilton's work always fits the bill. This isn't one of his absolute bests in my opinion: the setting is too close to today for my taste, and the tech a little too similar to the Commonwealth Universe but without the flair of Ozzie and Nigel. Having said that it is still an excellent read and I enjoyed the detective story wrapping the more traditional sci-fi elements, but then I never object to having too many pages in a novel ( I wouldn't recommend th ...more
Juliane Kunzendorf
This was fun! I think I like this Hamilton book better than Pandora's Star/ Judas Unchained mainly because of a more reasonable length (treating the two other books as one) and also the amount of characters that got introduced during the whole book was far more manageable and attaching than in the other.
A great murder-mystery meets science fiction with its best: smart cells, cloning and rejuvenation...just what I like.
It's complex and the characters are interesting. The only thing that makes m
Katy
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of author, story type
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Book Info: Genre: Speculative Fiction/Crime Thriller/Murder Mystery/Science Fiction
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Peter F. Hamilton, those who enjoy an epic story, science fiction/speculative fiction
Trigger Warnings: murder, torture (mostly by drugs, but some physical)
Animal Abuse: people flee and leave behind their cats to fend for themselves, leading to the cats freezing to death

This is a fairly long review, but then again, it's a really long book. The important stuff is in “My T
Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.)
In reading Peter F. Hamilton's Great North Road I certainly stepped out of my reading 'box', but then I've been doing that a lot over the past few years. This massive tome--nearly 1,000 pages--is a rock-solid and riveting example of the sub-genre of science fiction known as 'space opera', and I have to say that I enjoyed every moment reading this book. I had never read anything by Hamilton before, but I am quite sure that I'll be looking at some of his other fiction in the near future.

Simply put
Sandi
Peter F. Hamilton irritates me and annoys me in many ways, but he has some damn good ideas and puts together some mighty fine stories.

The Good: Great SF ideas, great SF settings, and characters I grow to love.

The Bad: Way too long, and some really unnecessary explicit sex scenes.

The Ugly: As in his other books, the women are always really hot, look 17 even when they're not, and are very horny. I don't think a fat, middle-aged woman has ever made an appearance in any Hamilton book I've read. With
Claudia
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had a delightful journey down the Great North Road. Most reviewers complained that it was way too long – well, most of his works are the same. If you are a fan of his opera, you can’t expect anything else, I think. And taken into consideration that the universe in which the events are taking place is relatively small this time, I must say that the police investigation was perfectly balanced with the alien hunting, Angela’s story and Norths’ placement. Not to mention that I loved the outcome in ...more
Nick Borrelli
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a departure for Hamilton this being a stand-alone work. I found the story to be quite engaging, best described as science-fiction noir with a dash of alien mystery for good measure. Terrific read as always, I am almost never disappointed with anything that Hamilton produces. This book is no different.
Shadowdenizen
Well, I gave it 250 pages.

And this book is by no means bad....

But, given the fact that I'm currently awash in great literature (Fantasy, Comics, and otherwise), this is sadly going to the DNF pile, at least for now..
Mark
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the short-in-comparison Manhattan in Reverse collection of stories, here we have a standalone that is one of his longer works.

Set in 2142, the story begins as a future police procedural with the murder of a clone in Newcastle-upon-Tyne from one of ‘The North’ one of the most influential Families in a city seen as a central transgalactic network Hub (the fifth biggest city in Britain).

As the investigation develops, it becomes clear that the body is one in a similar state to one discovered o
Aleksandra Royzen
I'd like to start by stating that I'm a huge fan of Peter F. Hamilton. His Pandora's Star and Night Dawn Trilogy is hands down my favorite space operas. Hence, I'm a bit biased when it comes to this book. I knew I'm going to like it even before I started reading it. However, even I was surprised how different this book is from anything else I read by Hamilton. Great North Road reads like a true mystery novel even though it takes place over a hundred years into the future. It's really nothing mor ...more
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton begins as a murder mystery set in the future and soon becomes much more. It is 2143 and a member of the very wealthy and very cloned North family turns up dead in the river at Newcastle-Upon-Tyne in northeast England. Police detective Sidney Hurst is on the case with a crew of help from the police as well as other very powerful people. It is apparent that the murder may be related to another murder in the North family from twenty years ago on the planet St. ...more
Patrice Hoffman
*Won through a Goodreads Giveaway*

This book was one hefty tome that I really enjoyed reading. A lot of times I steer clear of Science Fiction because I fear it will be hard to understand or a bunch of aliens speaking in languages that I could never understand. Peter F. Hamilton does a great job at mixing something I understand, Crime/Thriller fiction, with a genre I'm not too familiar with.

A brief overview of the story is that a member of the extremely famous, rich, and influential North family
Kati
Mar 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Most of this 1,086-page book seems to be cobbled together for volume – quite a few of the events are illogical and a considerable part of the activity is entirely unnecessary and irrelevant. There are sentences that are missing words and questions that are lacking logic. This text has not seen the hand of an editor and I doubt the author himself read the manuscript after finishing it.

Some of the characters could even be potentially interesting and engaging, if they’d been given 96% more substanc
Arielle Walker
Aside from the fact that I cannot work out why this book needed to be over 1000 pages (500-600 would have sufficed, to be honest), this was actually a pretty enjoyable read. There's a little bit of belief suspension required (150 year in the future and everything feels just a little too close to home to seem plausible) but the actual plot-line worked out pretty nicely.
Cast the Movie: Great North Road 8 114 Aug 05, 2014 11:29AM
The Sword and Laser: The Great Big North Road 27 227 Feb 27, 2014 07:00AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine multiple editions 2 21 Jan 17, 2014 12:51AM

• Terminal World
  • Redemption Ark (Revelation Space, #2)
  • Pushing Ice
  • Chasm City
  • Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children, #1)
  • The Prefect (Prefect Dreyfus Emergency, #1)
  • Revelation Space (Revelation Space, #1)
  • Century Rain
  • On the Steel Breeze (Poseidon's Children, #2)
  • Shadow Captain (Revenger, #2)
  • Galactic North
  • The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture #10)
  • Revenger (Revenger, #1)
  • The Departure (Owner Trilogy, #1)
  • Absolution Gap (Revelation Space, #3)
  • The Quantum Garden (The Quantum Evolution #2)
  • House of Suns
  • The Human Division (Old Man's War, #5)
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.