Start by marking “Making Story: Twenty-One Writers on How They Plot” as Want to Read:
Making Story: Twenty-One Writers on How They Plot

Making Story: Twenty-One Writers on How They Plot

Twenty-one crime writers join together to spill the dirty little secrets of how they plot their books. (Writers of any kind of fiction will find the book useful.)

The writers who tell all in the book have, among them, written more than 100 novels and won virtually every prize in crime fiction.

Each writer’s essay is followed by an excerpt from a recent book so readers can g
Kindle Edition
Published September 6th 2012 (first published September 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Making Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Story

Start your review of Making Story: Twenty-One Writers on How They Plot
Raluca
October 2018: I've reread this in preparation for this year's NaNoWriMo.

Making Story is not a how-to writing book. Instead, it's like sitting in a cozy coffee shop and having a casual talk with your friendly mystery writer you've probably never heard of. (The only one out of the twenty-one writers interviewed here that I've read so far is Yrsa Sigurðardóttir. I'm a sucker for Scandinavian noir, but most of the writers in this book seemed more US/UK based and I don't think I've ever seen their bo
Dlmrose
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Matt Whitby
It was okay, and you can argue that advice is advice but every author wrote in the same genre which made it all very one note.
Ekaser
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A great resource for folks interested in writing fiction, and also great for those who like to read mysteries and thrillers, because you get to read how 21 different authors go about creating their stories, whether and how they plot or write by the seat of their pants, and you also get to read an excerpt from one of their stories. So it's a nice introduction to 21 different authors as well as learning how they write.
Valerie
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have sincerely enjoyed reading this book from some of my favorite Authors. Some I even call friends, had drinks or dinner with and overall enjoy their company, I am fascinated by their writing methods, regardless of what you want to call it. It's great for getting a glimpse into each Author's unique and personal writing style and taking away some very useful ideas. It's also an interesting way to be introduced to a new writer.
Mai
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm only read BRETT BATTLES' THE ASSIGNMENT. I've been following the jonathan quinn series which involves a character named Orlando. Orlando is a character in the jonathan quinn series.
Anna
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This was a fairly interesting read. It was, more than anything, encouragement and a reminder that everyone's creative process is different. You have to trust your process.
Sarah Yasin
Books on the craft written as narratives don't work for me. I need bullet points, headings, text-book formatting so I can learn from it.
Allie Larkin
Nov 23, 2013
Nancy LiPetri
Mar 23, 2018
Debbi Mack
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Courtney Perry
rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2019
Laura McClellan
Feb 20, 2015
Kari Thorson
Aug 25, 2019
I'm a thriller and mystery novelist with 22 published books in three series, all with major imprints. I divides my time between Los Angeles and Southeast Asia, primarily Thailand, where I've lived off and on for more than twenty years. As of now, My primary home is in Santa Monica, California.

I currently write two series, The Poke Rafferty Bangkok Thrillers, most recently FOOLS' RIVER, and the Jun

News & Interviews