Start by marking “Act in Doctrine: Spiritual Patterns for Turning From Self to the Savior (Spiritual Patterns, #2)” as Want to Read:

Act in Doctrine explores patterns related to our obligation to translate what we know into what we do, thereby turning from focusing on one’s self to focusing on the Savior. Elder Bednar discusses the importance of Christ’s character in accomplishing the Atonement, the difference between testimony and conversion, what moral agency means and why it is central to the plan of ...more
Published 2012 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Act in Doctrine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Act in Doctrine

Hilary Roberts
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow - wonderful book! Great ideas for how to get better at acting according to our knowledge and testimony. This book doesn't have all the answers - it gives tools for getting all the answers. The book also comes with a DVD that is a recording of Elder Bednar meeting with a small group of people who asked questions about the material in the book. I highly recommend taking time to watch the whole recording after you've read the book!

After each of the four chapters, several pages are included tha
Brian
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Thick, and mostly cerebral, this isn't a quick read. One story from the book best of all exemplifies the book as a whole: in an area seventy conference Q&A session, someone asks President Packer "will you please tell us what you've learned about the atonement?" President Packer replies, "Read the Book of Mormon as many times as is practical on the next three months and write a one-page essay on what you learned about the atonement. Next question." The questioner was hoping to download Presid ...more
Alisa
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
I felt like I really grew spiritually as I read this book -- it has caused me to look at different areas of my life and look for ways to ACT! It is good to know something; great to understand it; but it is a completely different level of spirituality to ACT and have experiences which will bring us closer to Christ! Chapter 4 of this book has great advice on how to teach the gospel! This is great timing for me because the whole curriculum for the youth is changing in 2013 -- and is going more to ...more
Mitchell
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mormon-doctrine
I think that if you agree that a lot of the Apostles have particular themes that they like to hit on in their talks again and again, then there would be a good argument that Elder Bednar's theme is learning in faith. He has spent a lot of time talking about how to learn and how to teach gospel truths. This book is a follow up to his first "Increase in Learning" and seeks to answer the question that I have pondered many times: How does one effectively transform what we know into what we do? I thi ...more
Lee
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With the new focus in study and teaching this book is a great asset. Elder Bednar sends you on a journey to discover the answers to your questions and to creating an environment to help others ask questions to discover for themselves the answers they may not even know they were seeking. This is a book that will be a companion to my study for years to come.

With the new program of teaching this book and the DVD with it are amazing resources. Love it through and through.
Shauna
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Elder David A. Bednar is a masterful teacher!
In this newest book he teaches how we can become more Christlike and how agency really works.
He also sets the pattern for effective teaching not only as teachers in church but as parents and even friendships.
The enclosed DVD has Elder Bednar answering questions about his book.
This book is definitely a MUST read!
Kathy Miller
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
I love the the examples of the oil lamp and the oil, the jewel box and the pearl, and especially one I saw in my mind of turning from a mirror, where I focus on me, and turning towards a picture of the Savior. Reaching outward isn't always easy but Elder Bednar explains that we covenanted to do it. I have certainly refocused my priorities. Thank you Elder Bednar!
Fabrizio Poli
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So far I have read this book once and already got a lot out of it. However, this is a book that needs to be read, pondered, studied, etc, multiple times. This takes the true Gospel to a higher level of understanding. the dvd is also a great tool that comes with the book. Highly recommended!
Kim
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
When I read this book, my experience was like this: "blah blah blah blah TOTAL GEM blah blah blah INSPIRING QUOTE blah blah." It gets a little boring at parts, but overall there's some great doctrine in this book.
Rae
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, religiosity
Get out of the way. You aren't the teacher. Become converted. Reach outward.
Jonathan Plowman
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is another fantastic series of lessons by Elder Bednar.
Ashley
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book by Elder Bednar. He further builds upon and develops themes and foundational elements from the first book in this series (“Increase in Learning”). I highly recommend reading the series in the correct order for this reason.

This book transitions from focusing on our spiritual learning (the central theme of the first book) to focusing on acting in accordance with our acquired knowledge. It is a natural-feeling progression, which is easy to both follow and understand.

I found
Shiloah
We read this book as a family. We have now completed his collection of three books. It was just as good as the other two, but unique as well. I found this book, as I did the others, to be wonderful teaching tools for my family. We take turns reading the scripture verses, and always have great family discussions. The message of acting in doctrine was powerful. We have a deeper understanding of the power of accountability and taking action. I appreciated the thoroughness of this topic and the them ...more
Heather
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
Loved, loved, loved this book! Again I am so glad that I am reading this series of books that Bednar has put our now, as the COME FOLLOW ME program that started in 2019 and some of the other new changes of 2018 go right along with what is discussed in this book.

The book is incomplete if you don’t read the talks he references at the end of each chapter and the icing on the cake is the DVD that comes with the book. So good!!
Collette Brennan
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I would’ve liked this book more if I had used it as study material. I guess I wasn’t prepared that that was its purpose.

Obviously Elder Bednar is awesome, but if you aren’t diving into related material on your own it can get boring.

It does contain the contents of the elusive MTC “Character of Christ” talk which is nice.
Travis Standley
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book teaches the importance of obtaining the character of Christ through conversion to his doctrine. It also has key guidance on the effectiveness of converted gospel service and teaching done in the Savior's way. The video clips, and note sections make this a workshop vs a book. I recommend it.
Voodohound
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book / Great Author

Excellent insights into the doctrine of Christ! So much to learn from these teachings. Elder Bednar teaches in a way that is easy to understand and so applicable to everyone! I love this book!
Jessica Lawrence
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this even more than I loved Increase In Learning!! It makes me excited to start the third one! It only got better!!
Shauna
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More a workbook than anything. As the title say “Act”, doing something about it, it becomes part of you.
Alice
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, excellent book! Highly recommend for applying Gospel doctrines into our daily lives.
Heidi Tucker
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Worthwhile if you read and use as a workbook to document progress and learning.
Heather
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is another wonderful book by Elder Bednar inspiring action! This is not a book to just read, but to ponder and live and apply and practice and learn for ourselves. It comes with a neat DVD of a discussion with individuals asking Elder Bednar questions about how to best apply the principles and doctrine in their lives. There are some very profound, humble and sweet questions asked, and so much to learn about the pattern of learning and living the gospel and the doctrine of Christ.

Learning a
Elizabeth Gardner Johnson
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
To begin with I would like to say that the accompanying DVD that goes with this book is quite excellent. Watching and listening to Elder Bednar simply answer questions by many times asking a question or guiding the questioner where to find the answer him or herself left me with a desire to hold question-and-answer sessions more often with my children.

I absolutely loved Elder Bednar's book "Increase in Learning" and really dove in, writing in the margins, keeping a notebook handy and writing my o
Doug
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
So, my goals or stated beliefs are one thing, but my actions indicate something different. How to bring these things into alignment? With this premise/question, (Elder) David Bednar, one of 12 apostles in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, sets out to suggest what the reader needs to do in order to resolve this conflict. This is the 2nd in a series of books, beginning with Increase in Learning, this book, and then Power to Become. The book is not considered 'official church doctrin ...more
Janene
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sunday-reads
After reading some of these other reviews, I'm thinking that maybe for this to be a five star book, one needs to actually buy it, use it as the study guide and notebook that Elder Bednar intends it to be. There are lots of questions asked and lots of space to write your thoughts and answers. Give this book the time and thought it deserves. Watch the accompanying DVD.

I did none of those things. I read it as quickly as I could, in two or three days actually, before I had to return it to the librar
Robert
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-non-fiction
Some good, solid discussion about how to better align what we know to be true with how we act.

"Elder Dallin H. Oaks has explained that in renewing our baptismal covenants by partaking of the emblems of the sacrament, “we do not witness that we take upon us the name of Jesus Christ. [Rather, we] witness that we are willing to do so. (See D&C 20:77.) The fact that we only witness to our willingness suggests that something else must happen before we actually take that sacred name upon us in the
Boone Bolinder
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all...if you haven't read his book Increase in Learning it is an absolute must read for any Latter Day Saint. There is one key idea in this book that has surfaced in my mind everyday since I read it, the idea of which way we are turned. I recommend reading it on Deseret Bookshelf (app) so that you have instant access to the videos, which are incredibly insightful.
Derrill Watson
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second of a three book series, fairly short. I have not read the first book but he gives an overview of it in this book. The third book just came out. The first book was about how we come to KNOW what we should do. This book is about applying that knowledge into ACTION. The third is about how those actions help us BECOME like Jesus.

The best part of this book are the links to videos of a Q&A session he held with a group of people who read an advanced copy of the book. We see him i
Erin
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Update: March 2016-This was my pick for our Book Club this year. I enjoyed reading this so much, that I couldn't wait to have a discussion with my "Book Club" ladies. It was even better the second time through. I really need to purchase this book.

Read in January 2015: While I was reading the first book, I discovered that Elder Bednar has been talking about this same topic for a long, long time, even before he became a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the Church of Jesus Christ of
Tosha
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good. I requires a quiet corner, and a highlighter. There is an area on each page for your own personal notes. I used my area for thoughts that would pop on my head as I was reading. Questions for myself usually.

The accompanying DVD is a great idea. If you are reading the book as an e-read it is perfect. You are reading along and the video that correlates to the subject is right there. You push play and there you go. If you are reading the hard back version you just insert th
Personal Gain 1 8 Oct 06, 2012 09:13AM
  • For Times of Trouble: Spiritual Solace from the Psalms
  • The Continuous Conversion: God Isn't Just Proving Us, He's Improving Us
  • 21 Principles: Divine Truths to Help You Live By the Spirit
  • Choose Higher Ground
  • The Believing Heart: Nourishing The Seed Of Faith
  • Consider the Blessings
  • The Power of Everyday Missionaries
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Life's Lessons Learned: Personal Reflections
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation (Divine Guidance, #1)
  • Faith: The Essence of True Religion
  • Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man
  • The Promise of Discipleship
  • The Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • Understanding Isaiah
David A. Bednar was ordained and set apart as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on October 7, 2004.

Bednar was born on 15 June 1952, in Oakland, California. His mother came from a long line of Latter-day Saints, but Bednar's father did not join the church until Bednar was in his late twenties. He served as a full-time missionary in Sou
“If today you are a little bit better than you were yesterday, then that's enough. And, if tomorrow you are a little bit better than you were today, then that's enough.” 31 likes
“This work is never about me and it is never about you. We need to do all in our power to fulfill our teaching responsibilities and simultaneously "get out of the way" so the Holy Ghost can perform His sacred work. In fact, anything you or I do as representatives of the Savior that knowingly and intentionally draws attention to self-in the messages we present,in the methods we use, or in our personal demeanor-is a form of priestcraft that inhibits the teaching effectiveness of the Holy Ghost.” 0 likes