Start by marking “Courting Murder (Judge Rosswell Carew Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Courting Murder (Judge Rosswell Carew Mystery, #1)

Courting Murder

(Judge Rosswell Carew Mystery #1)

When Judge Rosswell Carew makes the gruesome discovery of two corpses on a river bank in the Missouri Ozarks, he's plunged into a storm of deadly secrets that threaten both him and his fiancee, Tina Parkmore. Unsatisfied with the way the authorities are conducting the investigation, Rosswell, who's always nurtured a secret desire to be a detective, teams up with an ex-con, ...more
Paperback, First, 232 pages
Published September 1st 2012 by Southeast Missouri State University

To ask other readers questions about Courting Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courting Murder

Rhonda
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Courting Murder is a fast-paced novel with interesting characters. Each of them is fully developed including the secondary characters. Interwoven among the mystery is a lot of small town charm as well as those things about small towns which aren't always so charming - such as everyone always knowing everyone else's business. But that's one of the things that makes this such a great read. Add to that the humorous thoughts from Judge Roswell Carew as he tries to solve the murders with less than re ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel is one that is almost impossible to review without spoiling the story so...If you enjoy laughing, scary scenarios, quirky characters, and interesting locations, this book is for you.

It is not a cozy but a police procedural with blurred boundaries. Judge Rosswell Carew is on vacation and is exploring a new hobby of photography. Instead of mushrooms growing in the wild, Rosswell discovers bodies by a swollen stream.

Rosswell is also exploring his own mortali
Annie
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I knew from the first words "Grumpy was too happy a word"... that this would be an interesting fun, quirky and chuckle worthy book.
Judge Rosswell Carew is having a bad day. On a swealtering summer day he decides to get some much needed quiet time, just him and his Nikon and head to the Ozarks. What he finds instead are two very dead bodies on the waters edge.
Together with his fiance Tina and his sometimes friend and ex con Ollie they try to track down the killers. What ensues is a h
Black Butterfly
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
Shelves: mysteries, murder
THIS BOOK HAS SOME OF THE MOST INTERESTING, WEIRD, CRAZY, QUIRKY CHARACTERS I’VE EVER READ. I MEAN ALL OF THEM ARE KOOKY! I REALLY HAD NO IDEA WHO THE KILLER WAS, IT COULD HAVE BEEN EVERYONE AND MAYBE ONLY ONE. SOME OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS ARE ON THE ID CHANNEL SO I’M FASINATED BY FORENSIC’S. THIS BOOK HAD SO MUCH EVIDENCE TO FIGURE OUT, LIKE THE REAL KILLERS ON TV I STARTED WONDERING IF THEY WERE GOING TO EVER SOLVE THIS. THE CRIMINALS SEEMED TO BE MULTIPLYING BY THE MINUTE, THE INSANE ZANY KOOKS ...more
Lady Mockingbird
Aug 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to read and follow.

The narrative is stylistically choppy, the dialogue nearly impossible to follow. The author clearly did this purposefully, but instead of adding humorous color it overwhelms the reader. This is not a murder mystery that unfolds. Instead it rambles nonsensically. I slogged through to the end, but I won't read another by this author.
Bill Hopkins
weak. weird characters that are neither serious or funny. plot doesn't make sense. kept thinking, please just stop. Let it be over.
Linda Jeffries
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Working within the court system, I found this to be an exciting change of pace. A fast moving who-dun-it with home town type characters.
Carol
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much to follow

Small town in Missouri where 2 bodies are found in the park, then immediately washed away in a flood. Convoluted path of many characters as Judge solves the crime. I still don’t understand the motivation nor the plot - everything in this story but a rational thought.
Ted Tayler
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
"A different approach"

There are some famous authors who have become very successful writing stories that are almost formulaic. Over the past decade, the way books are written has had alter to suit the changing habits of the reader. Everyone is in a mad rush these days; and whether it's food or entertainment, gratification has to be instant. Many books are shorter than those of yesteryear; or incomplete - where the reader needs to buy two or three 'instalments' to get the full story.
Jeff
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle, thriller
not bad but I had trouble keeping some of the characters straight. it seemed that some people were introduced very briefly and then became major parts of the story. had me fooled so at least I didn't figure it out before the end.
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ending is a bit of a cliffhanger or hook, but honestly don't care enough about any of it to care what I don't know. Early killer POV scene ruined a lot of mystery. Logic missing in several places in "investigation."
Roma
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Courting Murder

I found this book to be to be a bit too mixed up and hard to follow. The plot was just too screwed up and hard to follow. I finished the book, only because that's what I do. Would not recommend it. Sorry....
Patricia
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Huh?

I'm sorry but I couldn't make heads or tails of this story. Author's humor just didn't click for me so it zinged by.
Cindy
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good read, plot and cast. Recommended.
Alex Jo
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
My thoughts on this book are mixed up. So to start the plot was good when it comes to the characters I felt there was too much the main reason I got lost a few times on which character the author was talking about. From the first few chapters, I felt that the book is losing focus from the murder aspect of it and that made it very slow and I had to push myself to read it. On the other side, the writing was good and that’s what kept me want to read it till the end but it ends on a cliffhanger whic ...more
Maris Soule
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Judge Rosswell Carew, while photographing mushrooms at a state park, discovers two bodies—that are soon swept away by flooding waters, leaving the bodies unidentified—he doesn’t realize his interest in the case will threaten his life and the life of his girlfriend. Rosswell is not your typical hero who steps in and solves a case, but somehow he manages to “get the bad guy” by the end. I often found his internal thoughts and things he said and did foolish, but he was persistent. The book has ...more
Nina
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was pretty cute. I was attracted to it because it was set in Marble Hill, Missouri, the county seat of Bollinger County. I've actually been there, so I could picture the characters going in and out of the courthouse. The unusual protagonist is a judge who kinda wants to be a detective. He's only 5'6'' and slight of build with a sparse mustache that he can't help but scratch, so he's no great catch. His "research assistant" is an unemployed town gossip who has appeared before his bench more ...more
linda
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for free so wasn't expecting too much but what a shock I got. This is Bill Hopkins debut novel and it doesn't disappoint. It's quirky, full of interesting facts and some of the characters in this small town are funny. The story begins when the local Judge decides to visit his local beauty spot to look for mushrooms when he notices an awful smell and decides to investigate. Everything changes from this point on. I liked it that much I have downloaded the second book in the series.
Eileen Weglicki
Too wordy and rambling

This mystery did not hold my interest. I actually put it down for several days a few times. I did finish the book because I wanted to know who the killer was. But it was a very slow read and difficult to follow. There were too many rambling details. The book did not flow well and there were too many unbelievable incidents.
Yvonne Davies
This was a quick read. Although he took me a while to get used to the author's writing style.
The characters are quirky and full of life. Loved Candy and Ollie as characters.
This was a bit of light reading after some heavy reads and just what I needed. Judge Rosswell was a wannabe detective and I found his blundering about quite funny. As this ended on a cliffhanger I will carry on this series
Julia Westlake
Good book?

I think this was a good book but it's hard to say, as every few pages are missing. The parts I did get to read held my interest and was an original story line, I was thrilled by this as it seldom happens. I am going to read this author again in the hopes that I get a full book (so frustrating) and that it will be as good as I hope it will be.
Julia
Mar 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up, ebook
Free on Kindle - did not finish.

I can't comment on much of the book because I only made it to the third (?) chapter where the killer and Babe are introduced.
I was already apprehensive when we'd been presented with the bodies and I wasn't interested in finding out what happened to them because the main character/narration just annoyed me so much. And then when the killer showed up and was only referred to as "the killer" every. single. time, I gave up. There is a gender neutral
Julie Hendricks
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hilarious, written with a dry, deft sensibility, the story unfolds with a precision it never loses, even as events gradually speed up in a kind of small-town, loony avalanche of suspense, sharp observations and misadventure. Wonderful characters and locale descriptions. I had to download the next in the series immediately.
Keith Withers
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Reminds me of an Agatha Christie

There were so many twists and turns I got complrely lost. More suspects than I could keep up with and when I thought I knew what had happened, everything changed and I was back at point one again. Thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend to any reader who enjoys suspense and intrigue.
Christi
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisted

This story took so many strange twists that it was sometimes difficult to keep up. There were quite a few characters and that also created a little confusion. However, the story was good! There was enough zaniness and humor to keep things light, though. Because it's a serial, the end IS left open, but that's OK - it just made me want to read the next one!
Lindberg
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

A who-dun-it Master. The story unfolds step by step, keeping the reader guessing each page of this mysterious plot. We try to second guess the author, but never succeed.
April Farina``
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secrets

The judge is a strange character as is most of the residents of the county. Everyone has a secret.. O!lie is a walking trivia book. Thought he was the best character in the book. Looking forward to what happens next.
Janice Foley
The book was entertaining. It would not be among my favorites. I liked the judge but he wasn't an investigator. I don't understand how he could even be a judge. He was a likable person though. Not interested in reading another book by this author.
Charlene A. Lester
Judge or Detective?

Couple of the county residents turned up dead in a field only to be washed away by a strong storm before they could be moved to the medical examiners office.

Who were they, why had they been killed and by whom?
Guy
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A detective judge!

Good read! Amateur detectives are a dime-a-dozen, but when it’s a judge the mindset changes. I have to read the rest of the series.
Thanks for a trip over a lot of unplowed ground.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Murder, Curlers, and Canes (Valentine Beaumont Mysteries #2)
  • The Coming of Dark
  • A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3)
  • Steeled for Murder (A Jesse Damon Crime Novel, #1)
  • Every Last Secret
  • Pax Demonica (Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, #6)
  • Coldheart (League of Magi, #1)
  • The Evil That Men Do
  • Swimsuit Body (Cypress Bay, #2)
  • Bakeries and Bones (Westford Bay B&B #0)
  • Unconscious Lies
  • Vi Agra Falls (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #24)
  • Deadly Memories
  • Charmed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #18)
  • A Killing at Cotton Hill (Samuel Craddock Mystery, #1)
  • Rock & Roll Homicide
  • Dead Like Me
  • The Same Moon

Judge Rosswell Carew Mystery (6 books)
  • River Mourn  (Judge Rosswell Carew Mystery, #2)
  • Bloody Earth (Judge Rosswell Carew Mystery, #3)
  • Unfinished Grave (Judge Rosswell Carew Mystery, #4)
  • Dishonest Corpse (Judge Rosswell Carew Mystery, #5)
  • Harvest Death (Judge Rosswell Carew Mystery, #6)
“the steering wheel. We’re calling the cops.” 0 likes