Start by marking “Just Another Day at the Office (The Walking Dead #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Just Another Day at the Office (The Walking Dead #1.5)

Just Another Day at the Office (The Walking Dead #1.5)

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  582 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Just Another Day at the Office reveals the never-before-known details of how Philip Blake (aka The Governor) took full control of Woodbury. In this exciting story that takes place between The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor and The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury, Philip unleashes his full fury on the previous leaders of the small walled-off town. This one-man-army, ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Just Another Day at the Office, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Another Day at the Office

Chris
Decent little "short" story, and I do mean short. This was one of those ebooks priced at $.99, and for the first time I felt a little cheated by that price. Not that it was a bad read, but that it was so brief.

Still, rating the content (what there was of it), I enjoyed the 20 minutes or so that it took me to go through this story at a leisurely pace.

I do have one gripe, though. It bugged me when I read Rise of the Governor and this story starts out with it. Whenever the time is noted in these
Jim C
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I am not even going to bother with a review. This is extremely short and it took me about ten minutes. If I did a review it would be longer than the actual book. This is more for my personal records. Whatever you do do not pay for this "book".
Reed Raab
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
This short story just seems pointless to the series, nothing spectacular happens and it is the usual walker infestation: descriptive language for the innocents savagely ripped apart and one character suriving a ridiculous attempt to rid the town of biters. Should I have used a spoiler alert? No. I just saved you two bucks.
Cassi
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Buyer Beware: this is just a super short piece of a story. The 36 pages seems to take into account the first chapter of the next book as well, and that was also included in the first book. This portion was fine- but totally unnecessary for the story and VERY short. Such a quick read that I was feeling a little annoyed that I paid .99c for it. But then again, maybe I’m just that cheap.
Raquel Monteiro
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I bought the file from Amazon thinking that it was a short story of 56 pages but it turned out to be a much, much smaller story: it's only 26% of the file. The rest of it is a copy of the beginning of the second book The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury. I felt kind of cheated.
Mia Michalek
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is really just a very short story that shows a little bit of background of the governor. I wouldn't waste your money buying it on Nook or any other ereader. The cost isn't worth the story and this is coming from a die hard TWD fan.
Alexis
Dec 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
This short SHORT story was not what I expected. It was very disappointing that it was only a few pages long and the rest was the beginning of "The road to Woodbury". The story was not That good. The two novels were great, hope they write another.
Ron
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This as an important interlude between Rise of the Governor and Road to Woodbury. The exclusive content is only 33% of the total book--misleading and the source of many gripes.
Mkittysamom
What a waste, couldn't they have just attached this 5 pg story to one of the books? Wow the governor killed a shit ton of zombies and everyone loves him.....

Badseedgirl
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-read-in
Short story? This was barely a story at all. At 14 pages this story added nothing to the cannon of these novel. Thankfully I only wasted about 5 minutes reading this waste of time.
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I had been interested in The Governor's backstory since watching The Walking Dead and hoped this would give a bit more insight to hi. And Woodbury. Instead I found myself reading a play-by-play account of a walker attack. I feel like this was a waste of time reading.
Courtney Innes
Nice little addition

It was a nice little addition and insight i to the governor and Martinez relationship. Just seems like something out if the other boooks. Not much new.
Corey
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
short story.. pretty good
Holly
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just Another Day At The Office is a very short read about how Phillip aka The Governor came to save Woodbury and take control of the town. At the very end of the Rise Of The Governor which is the very first book in this series, Phillip stumbles across a new town but with the immediate threat of zombies that are close to breaking down the walls. As Philip ultimately saves the town from the zombie horde and sets us up for what is to come in this series as Phillip as the leader.

I was kinda disappoi
Jessica
Dakota
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, okay. This was pretty freaking short. I thought it'd be longer for some reason. Well for .99 cents on my Kindle it wasn't a terrible waste. Still a good short insight into the Governor from the AMC series, The Walking Dead.

This pamphlet describes a short skirmish with a large herd of undead who have breached Woodbury's walls early in the Govenor's residency. This is what cements his leadership role in the minds of the towns people and begins his reign to be later built upon by the last 3 th
Michael
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
This didn't provide the flavor of the graphic novels or the television series, something you come to look for in books based on a series, but seemed to branch out on its own, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but is disappointing. And while I know this is billed as a short story, it only takes up 25% of the book. The balance of the book is a sneak peak at The Road to Woodbury. I never read these advance previews, so this was another disappointment. It takes a while to get into the narrative o ...more
Jessie Haynes
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Superfans of The Governor
This is a short, short story. I don't really care the length of a book, only that I get to spend time with the characters that I want to. This was the perfect interlude between The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor and The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury. If you're a superfan of The Governor, and you enjoy how Jay Bonansinga has brought him to life, then this little short is worth a read.
Jessica
Jan 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: zombies
I did not find this EXTREMELY short story all that essential to what makes the Governor tick or how he became the Governor in the first place. If you want to know what makes him tick then read the first book, which I did enjoy. To find out how he becomes the Governor, it stands to reason you would need to read the second book, which I plan to do. But, skip this entirely. It's nothing more than a gratuitous waste.
Robin Conley
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a fun short story set in the Walking Dead universe. My two complaints was that one that it was soo short that it didn't allow for much to happen, and two that the Governor in the book was a little different than the Governor in the TV show. Though I could see how they connect, it wasn't quite as he seemed in the show. Overall though, I always enjoy seeing more of the Walking Dead world, so I enjoyed the story.
Craig Allen
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
VERY short--as others have said. What I got was an enjoyable zombie attack and the Governor's handling of it, but it was so short. 25% was the story and the other 75% was a preview of book 2 of the series. Can't fault the material for that but it should have been a free read not 99 cents (first world problem!) :)
Leopold Birkholm
Sep 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: None
Shelves: zombie-books
Well, I was disappointed. Only 15 pages and just about one incident in the story. It does not anything to the genre or the book-series. You are basically paying for a pre-read of two chapters of other books in the series. No, save you money and skip this book in the series. I would not recommend anyone to buy this book.
David Francesconi
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: apocalyptic, zombies
This is a short story. It's only 36 pages long. The story picks right up where The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor ends. It tells how the town of Woodbury fights off a breach in the wall security of the town. I enjoyed the story. I gave it 3 stars only because it was a short story, instead of a book.
Tracey Alvarez
I realise this was a short story (and it was an okay short story!) but I was a little disappointed when it finished abruptly at 24% and the rest of the book was taken up with a massive excerpt from the first book in the series. Kinda would've been nice to have at least 50% of the book short story and 50% advertising for the next book...
Lynn
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't have purchased this extremely short. story if I knew I would have it read in 5 minutes. Between the books and television series, I didn't feel that this story had any really valuable information that made the purchase worth it.
Karen
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad guy

This was a decent introduction to the Governor before he took on the mantle. Philip Blake seems like a good guy, but we all know how he ends up. Not my favorite, but it is always nice to have background on characters.
Jamie
Dec 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really about 7 pages of actual short story, and the first two chapters of The Road to Woodbury. Charging a dollar for about 5 minutes worth of reading is no good. Nothing exceptional happens.
sixthreezy
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
99 cents worth of Governor extras that shows you just how he cleared Woodbury for himself and the others he "saved". Not necessary reading, but if you want the complete story this bridges the gap between books one and two of Governor trilogy.
Tom
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A quick slice of zombie invasion set in Kirkman's world of the ongoing TWD graphic novel. For fans of the original Governor! It's really short so find it for free where you can, such as the website of your local library.
Kristina
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-goal-88
A quick glimpse at one of the ways "The Governor" won over the people on Woodbury.

Short and sweet with hardly anything other than some zombie destruction.

Recommended for Walking Dead fans to give them a view of Philip before Rick.
  • The Fall of the Governor: Part One (The Walking Dead #3)
  • As The World Dies Untold Tales Volume 3
  • Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • Outbreak (The Zombie Chronicles, #1)
  • Flotsam & Jetsam (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #0.2)
  • Jade (Once Upon a Zombie Apocalypse #1 POV 2)
  • Tooth & Nail (Rot & Ruin, #3.5)
  • The Zombies: Volume One
  • Revelations (The Becoming, #3)
  • The Rage Plague
The national best-selling author of ten acclaimed books – both fiction and non-fiction -- Jay Bonansinga has been called “one of the most imaginative writers of thrillers” by the Chicago Tribune.

Jay is the holder of a master's degree in film from Columbia College Chicago, and currently resides in Evanston, Illinois, with his wife and two sons. He is also a visiting professor at Northwestern Unive
More about Jay Bonansinga...

The Walking Dead (8 books)
  • Rise of the Governor (The Walking Dead #1)
  • The Road to Woodbury (The Walking Dead #2)
  • The Fall of the Governor: Part One (The Walking Dead #3)
  • The Fall of the Governor: Part Two (The Walking Dead #4)
  • Descent (The Walking Dead #5)
  • Invasion (The Walking Dead #6)
  • Search and Destroy (The Walking Dead #7)
  • Return to Woodbury