Start by marking “Kieran & Drew” as Want to Read:
Kieran & Drew

Kieran & Drew

Kieran Appleby can't wait until graduation to escape his life in the Keys. His only friend is the school janitor, his father doesn’t talk to him, and Kieran doesn’t know how to mention he’s gay. No wonder he daydreams about college anywhere but Florida.

High school baseball star Drew Anderson has only wish in life: to be able to care for those he loves. With an absent fath
Published March 1st 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published February 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Kieran & Drew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kieran & Drew

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ by: MishyJo

This just became one of my favorite YA stories in this genre, a classic tale about a geek/outcast and popular jock falling in love.

Ah, bring back the 80s!

Surely there's fanfic about Andrew and Brian somewhere out there?

Drew and Kieran are seniors in high school. Drew is popular and athletic to Kieran's geeky, weird, and shy. But when Drew finds out about Kieran's unrequited crush, he doesn't mind at all; Drew wants what Kieran's offering.

In the end, both guys need each other. The po
Susan
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it

GAHHHH!!! Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back IN!... I can't get out of YA-land!!!! (ummm...yes, I quoted the Godfather to describe my YA kick...and yes, I am sorry for that...)

3.5 strong stars...again!

Ok, ok...so…since I am, admittedly, in a YA phase…I can write this review w/o being embarrassed of how much I really enjoyed this book! :)

Yes, it’s formulaic. In fact, for the first 1/2 of the book, I was having some serious déjà vu. It was plot point by plot point the exact same book
Nazanin
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, m-m
3.75 Stars

Kieran is a senior at the high school in a small town. He used to feel awkward and uncomfortable around other students. He got bullied, has no friends, they thought of him as a freak. He couldn’t wait to escape this town and go somewhere far far away…

Drew’s father divorced his mother five years ago and had his own brand new family. He didn’t really visit anymore or call. Now, it was his responsibility to look after his mom (she had agoraphobia). So after graduation, he needed to be hom
Ami
Oh, my, I'm going to be the first and only person giving this novel a 2-stars (so far). I feel like a rebel *lol*. But again, my rating will always an answer to the simple question: "In the end, do I like it or not?" And my answer for this is. BIG FAT NO. For one issue that feels personal to me, when it comes to life choices. I'll explain in a minute...

I don't have problems with Ms. Gilbert's writing. I like her writing. I find both Kieran and Gilbert to be wonderful characters ... and them bein
M
So, I slunk off during my lunch hour to the tiny office at the end of my ward to read the last 20% or so of this book. And here a nurse found me crying over my kindle and asked me what the matter was. I couldn't very well tell her that the gay romance between these two teenage boys is so sweet it is totally making me lose my shit. So, I mumbled something about allergies.
Heather C
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heather C by: Susan65
Ah, what a lovely, heart warming story that I couldn't put down. I literally read the whole thing in one sitting...well, I may or may not have stopped to take a potty break.

Honestly, everything about this story was predictable...from the beginning to the middle to the end. There were absolutely no shocking plot twists and no single moment where I shouted "What the fuck just happened?!" No, there was nothing exciting like that. Just two high school seniors, opposites yet soul mates, discovering
Tiya Rosa
I have a thing for quiet unassuming books that innocently pull you in, giving the impression of being something you can easily put down because, hey there's really not much going on and you've read something like this before only flashier, but then it's three hours later and your stomach is growling, you've missed breakfast, none of your weekend to-do list is getting done, and you don't give a fuck because you're hooked and would rather starve than close your Kindle. Sure, nothing has changed - ...more
Ele
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"...people never stay with their first loves.”

But sometimes they do.

I 've never stopped being around teenagers, even when I stopped being a teenager myself. This story had one the most realistic portrayals of teenage behavior I have ever read.

There is no melodrama here, but there is angst (which, thankfully, doesn't override the story). The conflicts are real:

Bullying. Teenagers who feel that they don't fit in. Parents who mean well, but they screwed up somewhere along the way, and now they
Lauraadriana
4.5 Stars

I LOOOOOOOOVED this story! LA Gilbert is now officially and auto-buy author for me. Each book I've read from her has been better than the last. This one is my favorite so far.

Angsty young love in a small town with messed up family situations, and all kinds of hurt in two young men that find refuge (literally) in each other. It was like she hit a checklist for my paradigm comfort read.

Kieran Apleby is a loner, he doesn't have any friends and he's a litle angry at the world, partly it's b
Meags
4.5 Stars

I think I just fell in love.

I adored EVERYTHING about this story (maybe with the exception of that cover - deceptively ominous much?!).

I was fully engaged for every single second of this sweet, unassuming love story. Kieran and Drew were equally endearing and so very relatable. Their coming together was so beautiful and honest and tender and romantic and realistic and several other lovely descriptive words that I won't bore you with further.

I laughed, I cried, I sympathized and then I
Deeze
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
You know most times when I think I know the way a books going to go I’m normally completely way off. I wish I had been wrong this time, sadly what I thought was going to happen did and so now I’m a wreck.

The characters in this book are extremely believable. Kieran especially was a guy I could totally feel for. His sense of worthlessness pulled at my heart and I wanted to beat his dad over the head at times.

Drew was another real character. His way of handling things had me again wanting to infli
Macky
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have a thing for Jock/Geek stories, and I think its because I love seeing the underdog get his day and the bullies get their comeuppance. This is slightly different though and doesn't quite follow the usual set rulings that most of these stores follow. Yes Kieran is the geeky loner who crushes from afar on Drew the jock and we have the cruel jock who torments him but there is something slightly different about this tale that I think separates it from most of the others. First of all this is ub ...more
Natalie
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story enters well-traveled territory: geek has a crush on jock, jock is just realizing he's gay, they have a secret relationship. The difference is that I felt their emotions deeply. They're young and awkward and they hurt each other and fuck things up, but there are also moments of genuine sweetness. I loved the characters and I was invested in their journey.

Minus one star because many of the pop culture references fell flat, and because of some editing inconsistencies. (I suspect they tri
Debra
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ya-or-new-adult
This was a solid YA/NA coming of age story with just the right amount of angst. Kieran and Drew are high school seniors living in a small town in Florida. Drew is a jock and Kieran is the class "freak". Both have family issues that are playing a key role in their after graduation plans. When Drew discovers that Kieran has a crush on him, he decides to get to know him better.

Of course, this is high school and neither boy is "out", so the relationship is going to suffer. While the plot is nothing
Tutu
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
Only one word for this: absolutely beautiful- damn, that’s two! :)
If you’ve read LA Gilbert before and are familiar with her style this will not come as a surprise to you. Kieran and Drew is an incredibly sweet story that will get under your skin and keep you rooting for these two beautiful characters from the get go. As all her stories this bears no urgency and is not written as a fast paced novel but that only gives you more time to enjoy it and to get attached to the characters.

I know I say
Trisha Harrington
Kieran and Drew is really cute sweet story. I loved this book. Both MC's were sweet and confused. I wanted to wrap them in a hug and squeeze them to death. I found myself laughing sometimes and worried other times. I was emotional especially closer to the end of the book. I never cry at books but emotional I can get and this had me anxious. If I could give this 10 stars I would.

Kieran was the "different" character. He dressed differently and had no friends. I found him to be easy to like. He was
Nic
The characters made this book a wonderful read. Keiran was so lonely and painfully isolated at school, ridiculed and viewed as a 'freak' because he was different to his peers. Drew, outwardly the popular baseball player, was dealing with the pressures of having to look after his agoraphobic mother.

Both boys are finishing high school and planning their next steps. Drew is trapped in his home town, not able to leave his mother. Keiran, on the other hand, can't wait to escape and has plans to move
Anke
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very good read, although the dad-story-line was rather predictable and in the end it settled a bit too smooth.
Amy
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Buddy reading with my girls Mish and Dani! My *first* snowman read!!!

Andrew
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
The ending's bothering me. Hmmm...
Susan65
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

I am not usually a fan of High School age characters but this story was simply amazing. Very well written, so real and so real life. Both Kieran and Drew have family issues that haunt them, as do most high schooler's. But the difference is in having friends to fall back on. Drew is very popular and a jock...more friends than he can shake a stick at. Kieran? None, no one wants to be seen with the freak. So very sad.

Drew, of course, sees past the oddity that is Kieran and quietly befrien
Bev

Slowish start, but soon warmed up. Loved the characters of Kieran and Drew, and the surprise twist with Kieran's dad, wonderful. Would love to know what happened to Drew's bestie Matt though cos he seemed to disappear....anyhoo, 4 stars from me.
Sunne
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a "geek meets jock"-highschool story.

Oh...another one of these. They are all cute and I've read a lot of them already.

Well - not this one. It is a sign of a really good author to give us a known theme and make something totally new out of it.
Just to make this clear - I loved the story.
I loved the guys - they are the best example that not everything is as it looks like.
This is the kind of book that draws you in, keeps you reading...despite you originally thought that it would be easy to
wesley

I'm officially an L.A. Gilbert fan! I am a sucker for sappy dialogue and this just turned up the notch. The story build-up was flawless and enjoyable. Bits of humor, lots of loving, and not that much angst. Perfect! And Kieran and Drew are just total adorbs. The connection and chemistry were there. The conflicts affect you deeply. The love scenes were one of the best I've read. Sweet and heated; I was in heaven. Will definitely be reading and looking forward to more of L.A.'s work in the future.

Andersón.
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a sweet story.

This was like a clasic teenager love story but in a gay version and I loved.

If you wanna read it it's better don't know much about the book, just is a clasic geek and a popular jock falling in love in a really well written story.
Miriam
5+++++++++++++++++++++++++ STARS!
God this book! I was freaking awesome! I didn't want it to end. This book is going to stay with me for awhile.
Thomaidha Papa
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
3~3.5 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Now this is a difficult book for me to review because I got some negative emotions at the beginning from this author. I understand that we have our likes and dislikes, and our opinions matter to us, but when you start slanting books or movies you don’t like in your current work, while all the while you’re in the middle of an exact replica of a scene from said book, it’s just not cool.

I’m talking about a sce
Cindi
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a nice (though predictable) coming of age story. Kieran is an almost eighteen-year-old high school senior who is counting down the days until he can graduate high school and disappear from his small town. He is considered a freak at school and is bullied as a result. His only friend is the school janitor. His only parent, his father, is absent more often than not and the two of them have not had much of relationship in over two years. Kieran exists by day-by-day looking forward to the da ...more
Major English (Laura)
This book was well written I thought. I wished there was more inner dialogue maybe to show how much these characters loved each other and to show that they thought of each other often and such and how amazing it was that they found each other, etc.

I thought the dialogue was very well done and included some good banter and seemed very natural.

There were points in this that were angsty, and I understand the conflict of it, as conflict is usually needed in stories. Towards the end, it was a bit ti
Edina Rose
One of the cutest teenage love stories I've read with amazing intimate moments. It reminds me a bit of Our December or The making of a man series. Like in TMOAM series, I really liked the plot. It is well thought and rich and the characters actions and reactions make sense. It's powerfully emotional, like first real love can be, and bonus, it's kind of hot. I liked that the author didn't try to create more conflicts than were needed to make the plot solid. She didn't try to make her cha
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Kieran & Drew by L.A. Gilbert 3 26 Mar 02, 2013 10:01AM

• Christmas Kitsch
  • Superhero
  • Discovered (Little Boy Lost, #4)
  • Play Me, I'm Yours
  • Beggars and Choosers (Beggars and Choosers, #1)
  • The Boys and the Bees
  • The Decisions We Make
  • After the End
  • King of Snowflakes (West Coast Boys, #1)
  • End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #4)
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Shawn's Voice
  • Double Exposure
  • Social Skills
  • Hobbled
  • Plan B
  • Fourth and Long
L.A. Gilbert currently lives in a small British town where not much of anything ever really occurs. Jumping from job to job, she has no real qualifications in anything and is blithely proud of it. Between spectacularly failing driving test after test, she generally spends her free time reading about beautiful gay men, if not attempting to write about them. She is perhaps not the most outgoing of p ...more