Start by marking “Upload” as Want to Read:
Upload

Upload

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
His criminal past catching up with him, a troubled young man seeks escape into digital utopia by uploading his consciousness into a computer -- just as first love casts his life in a new light. In this thrilling near-future science-fiction novel, Mark McClelland explores the immense potential of computer-based consciousness and the philosophical perils of simulated society ...more
ebook, First edition, 373 pages
Published September 18th 2012 by Mark McClelland

To ask other readers questions about Upload, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upload

Jim Grisham
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review of Upload by Mark McClelland

By Jim Grisham; Saturday, November 10, 2012

Upload by Mark McClelland is a complex and thought-provoking, yet accessible foray into the life of a brilliant but troubled young man, Raymond Quan, and his quest to escape from a world that has done little to inspire loyalty in the orphaned engineer.

It almost troubles me to call this a story of science fiction – it begins about fifty years from today, but the subject matter seems entirely plausible and may be mirrore
R.S. Carter
WOW. I LOVED this book. There are so many sides to this book that I could attempt to tackle. But my brain is exhausted from this read. Upload would be a premium selection for any scifi book club.

First there is the issue of ethics. If you could upload a consciousness into virtual reality while simultaneously destroying the physical body, should it be allowed? What if the body was going to die anyhow?

The main character in this novel is a loner. An introverted genius who has joined the Upload proje
Hazen Wardle
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Like Neil Stephenson’s Snow Crash and Richard K. Morgan’s Altered Carbon, Upload is fast paced and full of action, a story-noire set in a not too distant dystopian society.
Have you ever had a problem you wish you could run away from in hopes that it would just go away? Raymond finds himself in a situation where he not only wants to run from his myriad of problems, but he has also devised a way in which he can just ‘disappear’ and leave everything—and everyone— far behind.
As a young boy, he was
Melissa Yen
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Upload, Mark McClelland’s first novel. In fact, I think I will read it again. There was so much to absorb. Mark painted a vivid picture of life in another world. There were so many details, so many things happening, and so many layers. I could picture Nurania, I could feel the humidity, I could taste the yolos, and I could hear Scorpio whispering in my ear.
Upload is hard to pin down. Yes, it is science fiction, but it is so much more complicated than that. It is a great way
Monica Oclander
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My Siamese didn't like it. This book is well written, tight, intriguing, holding one's attention to the point of letting a poor, elderly Siamese lose a night of comfortable sleep.
An inventive plot about a young loner, a not-anywhere-near-perfect protagonist with a facility for computers and a dream and method for eternity within them. Upload crosses computer, social and neurosciences, theology, science fiction and love in a way that left this reader wanting more from this writer.
Christopher
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This book had me riveted from beginning to end. In Upload, Mark McClelland does what the best science fiction does. He gives the reader an intriguing world in which to consider the big questions, but doesn't try to answer them directly. Through the main character, Raymond, we explore consciousness and conscience, identity and agency, reality and virtuality. Exquisitely well written and edited, this is a book I'll come back to again.
Nate
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A satisfying blend of hard science fiction and film noir, Upload explores the ramifications of virtual existence against a backdrop of precarious relationships and impending retribution, while building toward a thrilling final act. It made me ponder whether utopia can be found, or dystopia can be avoided, when one has full control of their domain.
Richard Bunning
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Upload grabbed my attention early on and wouldn’t let go. Having teenage children, in a society where all YAs seem to live half-way towards the world of McClelland’s main character Raymond, I had no trouble in seeing this as a very near future story. This science fiction contains plenty of technology, but it is anchored firmly in speculative and metaphysical science fiction arenas.
Technology has just arrived at the point when human mental complexity, brain memory and an accurate digital physical
Katherine Coble
This is one of those books that I really enjoyed in spite of the antihero.

I'm a sucker for alternative reality stories, even more so for well-done dystopia tales.

The dystopia in _Upload_ owes a large debt to _Ready Player One_, with societies addicted to hiding from Reality by retreating into virtual spaces.

More than that, there were quite a few parts of the story which reminded me of Philip K. Dick; it's been awhile since any Sci Fi writer I've read has had that kind of skill, and it is a ra
Deanna at The Book Lover's Attic
This book reminded me of a mix between Total Recall and Tron. Our antihero, Raymond is not totally unlikeable. Naturally the crime that he committed had me scratching my head at his decisions, but I also found myself having a degree of sympathy for him.

McClelland's ability to describe not only the technical scenes, but the the many layers of the "created" worlds was exemplary. I am glad that he not only included the flowers and beautiful aspects that one would hope to see in a fantasy world, but
  • Multiplayer
  • Nightface
  • SILVER: The Lost & Damned (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #2) (Silver, #2)
  • The Dexter Quigly Codices
  • There Comes a Prophet
  • Endgame (Voluntary Eradicators, #1)
  • The Vessel
  • Caverns of Socrates
  • MetaWars: Fight for the Future
  • What I learned from men
  • This is Not a Game
  • American Death Songs
  • Altor: The Shadow Rebellion (The Chronicles of Ageron, #1)
  • Fear of Beauty
  • Fyrelocke: Jack Boomershine and the Prophecy Untold
  • To Hellas and Back
  • I am Forgotten
  • Geek Toys Guide: Make a Real Light Saber and 64 Other Amazing Geek Toys
Mark McClelland studied Computer Science and Creative Writing at the University of Michigan's Residential College, where he won a Hopwood Award for poetry. After graduating in 1994, he promptly sold his soul to his software career, and recently entered into a contractual obligation to a Karma Faerie with the hope of winning it back. He writes in search of truths that defy simple, direct expression ...more
More about Mark McClelland...