Start by marking “Tartarus (West of Hell #2)” as Want to Read:
Tartarus (West of Hell #2)

Tartarus

(West of Hell #2)

Tartarus is book 2 in the West of Hell series.

With Gehenna burning behind them, Karen and McCall had hoped to escape by using the railroad. When one of the moaners is pulled aboard by concerned passengers, the unlikely duo have to survive a train ride from Hell.

As they head further West, toward the mighty Tartarus River, the outlaw and the prostitute must deal with not
180 pages
Published September 19th 2012 (first published September 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Tartarus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tartarus

Start your review of Tartarus (West of Hell #2)
Dan Schwent
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, lendable
With Gehenna in flames, Mad Dog McCall and Karen jump aboard the train heading west, toward the Tartarus River. Too bad there's also two criminals and a moaner on board...

The second installment of West of Hell picks up seconds after the first left off. McCall and Karen are on the train but so are a lot of passengers who think they are full of shit, a moaner that's already attacking people, and two criminals named Jones and Evans.

I'm happy to say Tartarus doesn't suffer from middle book in the
Mr. Matt
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, horror, western, zombies
Tartarus continues the story of Mad Dog McCall, Karen and the Zombie Outbreak that happened sometime in the 1880s in the South-Western US. (I missed that week of 8th grade so I'm not really clear on precisely when that outbreak happened).

The duo escape Gehanna on a train that fortuitously happens to be passing through the town as it burns. They are only a few arm-lengths away from the ravenous undead and barely make it on to the train. Unfortunately, the passengers don't really know what is
Editing Services by Cynthia Shepp
Journeying back to the wild west…cowboys, prostitutes, and zombies (oh my). Tartarus starts off exactly where Gehenna left off. McCall and Karen boarded a train to escape the hell of Gehenna, which was full of “moaners”. Moaners are the living dead, infected people that are eating other people…zombies. Once aboard the train they learn that some of the moaners have made it on and are infecting the other passengers. Throw in a couple of outlaws trying to get to the Tartarus River and a trainload ...more
Jannah
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jason, Jason, Jason. You brilliant douche. Excellent addition to the West of Hell Trilogy. If you haven't had a chance to read this series and are considering it, do so. You won't be sorry. Action, Adventure, Humor, Gore, and enough suspense to have you clamoring for more- Jason Brant and his western zombies are one of the best things I have read in years. If I could give it 6 stars, I would.
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
Tartarus picks up where Gehenna left off. So if you didn’t read Gehenna yet, what are you waiting for?! Go read Gehenna, then read Tartarus and then, like me, look forward to Sheol.

Mad Dog and Karen have escaped the infected of Gehenna and managed to hop on the train as it passes through town. Unfortunately, one of the infected was helped on board as well. The story follows the spread of the infection on an enclosed rail car. I am beginning to think that Mad Dog and Karen are perpetually stuck
Jessica
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After a zombie out break in Gehenna, Mad Dog MaCall and Karen have to hop a train, in hopes of putting as much distance between them and Gehenna as they can. Little do they know, things are about to get alot worse. Zombies are not the only things Karen & Mad Dog have to fight against now.

Tartarus is the 2nd book in the West of Hell Series by Jason Brant. This Series really took me by suprise for a couple diffrent reasons. First, Gehenna (book #1) was my first ever zombie book & second it
David Dalton
Picks right off from the first book in the series (3 overall). It has been a year or so since I read the first one, but I caught on quick enough. A short read, must be a novella length. Sooner or later I will get the 3rd book just to see how the whole thing ends. Zombies and the ole west!
Terri Baldwin
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying that I don't like zombie books, except for Gehenna. The reason I read that book in the first place, is that I LOVE Jason Brant's writing style. I was excited about the sequel, Tartarus, but honestly didn't expect it to be even better than the first book of the West Of Hell series! There wasn't as much action as the first, but that allowed me to get to know the characters better. The characters are just as interesting as the story itself! As per Jason Brant's style, the ...more
Rene Folsom
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was hoping a locomotive was all McCall and Karen needed to distance themselves from the town of Gehenna and the hellacious death that destroyed the town. Yet it seemed like the devil stayed right on their heels with every step they took. Listening to their struggles, I actually felt physically exhausted, empathizing with the characters just a little too much as I immersed myself into the story.

Each twist in the story had me holding my breath more often than not as they continued on their
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie
If you read my review of Gehenna, you will see that I enjoyed the book a lot more than I thought I would.

In Tartarus, Jason goes above and beyond. I even venture to say I liked Tartarus more than I liked Gehenna. After hopping on a train out of Gehenna, Karen and McCall have their hands full. Danger lurks at every turn, and the twists and turns I've come to expect from Jason are everywhere. He surprises with the most unexpected events.

This book has more story line than Gehenna, and a little
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jason Brant picks up right where he left off in Gehenna. McCall and Karen are fleeing one hell on earth just to be thrown into another one. They face even more horror's in this book.
I was hooked from the very first page. I needed to know what would happen to McCall and Karen. I even teared up toward the end and was truly surprised.
Chris
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I seriously enjoyed this read, despite not liking zombies. I can't seem to resist reading everything by this author. couldn't put it down, and I'm looking forward to the next!
Pamela Morris
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You're killing me, Jason!
I love a good zombie movie, but in all honestly, these West of Hell books are the first zombie BOOKS I've read and am thoroughly enjoying. Tartarus picks up right where Gehenna ends. It's super fast paced and well-written. I only bought the first two and am now chomping at the bit to get my hands on #3.
Brant really left me hanging here and I'm not at all happy about his treatment of a certain lawman gone outlaw! The nerve!

Adam Bricker
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More undead, cowboys and struggle. I was surprised how real and relatable it felt. There is a section or two that makes it emotional, but that just leads into the struggle.
Michael Loring
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-books
Tartarus is the second in the West of Hell series written by Jason Brant, continuing the story of outlaw Mad Dog McCall and prostitute Karen and their arduous battle with the legion of the undead.

This novel takes places immediately after the first one, the two protagonists having boarded a train in an attempt to escape the now burning town of Gehenna and all of the cannibalistic monsters in it. They think they’ve made it, only to discover the disease has followed them, and most likely will until
Rosemary
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Karen and McCall thought they had escaped Gehenna and the nightmare they left behind, only to find themselves fighting to survive aboard a train which is slowly but surely being overrun by zombies.

Things go from bad to worse very quickly for the pair as they are fighting not only the zombies, but also a couple of outlaws on the train with their own very dangerous agenda.

Their eventual escape from the train was traumatic, but they were off, and then their struggle goes from bad to worse as as
Magen McMinimy
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well that train ride was a disaster, but the book was great. I still love Mad Dog and Karen and I have already started Sheol (the 3rd book in the series) but I wanted to write a quick review before I got to far into it. I had avoided this series for a while, as horror and zombies books really aren't or better put didn't used to be my style. However I am loving this series. There are definitely some gag worthy moments, flesh eating and all, and some great sarcasm from the two main characters. ...more
Daniel
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a fun and hectic follow-up to Gehenna. A large part of the story takes place on a train and Brant, appropriately enough, keeps events moving at a brisk pace. I was also impressed by how well Brant shared some of the major hurt the protagonists endure. I had fun reading this and will likely finish the trilogy.
Addie Mariama
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Zombies in the Old West, on a Train? Yes. It works. It works incredibly well in this 2nd installment of the West of Hell series, an enjoyable followup to Gehenna. Not much in the line of new characters, but more development to the two survivors of the previous book. And again, another cliff hanger that will make you jump right into book 3.
Randy Harmelink
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
I'm a big fan of books that combine the Western and Zombie genres. And this one did not disappoint. Easy to read, good pacing, and characters that I cared about. Plus a few gory zombie scenes.

I liked Gehenna slightly better, and am looking forward to the next book, Sheol. But not looking forward to it being the end of the story...
Alondra Miller
4 bloody stars

Book 2, in the West of Hell series. Even better than the first. With McCall and Karen trying to survive humans that are significantly more evil than the mindless, walking dead.

People are so dumb, sometimes.
Janice Stinnett
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was really good. I didn't like how it ended but I'm hoping that it changes with the next book. The book was very detailed in descriptions. I could literally picture the action taking place.
Robert Wood
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Finished in a day and a half, I love this story.
Christopher Balf
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The speed of the writing doesn't let up. I am now a true Jason Brant fan. Thriller with a twist
Phil Jones
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Perfectly adequate second chapter in the story which is short but interesting enough for part 3. Typical of this sort of book and either you like them or you don't.
Feb 13, 2013

• In the Tall Grass
  • Jane Victim
  • Level Up
  • Artifice: Episode One
  • Cataclysm (Viridian Gate Online #1)
  • Founded on Iron: Origins of West Ham Utd
  • High School
  • Moira Ashe: Enemy Within
  • Bibliomancer: A Completionist Chronicles Series (Wolfman Warlock)
  • Camgirl
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • On Sparta
  • My Booky Wook
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • Finders Keepers (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #2)
"JASON BRANT" is an anagram for Bas Trojann, a former Bigfoot hunter who, after being abducted (and subsequently returned) by aliens, decided to hang up his ghillie suit and enter the world of professional arm wrestling. Despite back-to-back first place finishes in the South Dakota World International Championship League, Bas receded from athletics to invent cheese and give Al Gore the initiative ...more

West of Hell (3 books)
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Sheol (West of Hell #3)