Start by marking “The Gin Lovers” as Want to Read:
The Gin Lovers

The Gin Lovers

(The Gin Lovers #1-6)

Set against the turbulent and glamorous backdrop of Prohibition and the rise of the jazz age, Jamie Brenner's The Gin Lovers was first published as a six-part e-serial. Now this sensual and romantic story of how one high society woman's passion and courage lead her to love is available for the first time ever as a complete book.

It's 1925, and the Victorian era with its
Published February 12th 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 7th 2012)

Start your review of The Gin Lovers
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love period/historic novels and this one is set during the time of Prohibition. A reviewer on Amazon stated that this was a cross between 50 Shades and Downton Abbey....and I totally DISAGREE with that. It was nowhere near that. It was a great story with a couple subplots that held my interest....

You have the main character, Charlotte, trying to regain her identity and sense of independence in a loveless marriage. The arrival of her sister-in-law introduces her to another world -- in the form
Amber
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, i-own
The GIN LOVERS is an amazing read. Not my normal genre, but really enjoyed it none the less. Jamie's writing made you feel like you were actually experiencing some part of the 1920's. I loved that there was some historical names and facts mentioned. Jamie took you to an era where woman were to be seen and not heard, an era where your place in society is what mattered. The Gin Lovers was hot, juicy and oh so exciting. What surprised me the most was the reveal of "the boss", wow I so did not see ...more
Cheryl
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Charlotte and William are about to have a new house guest. William’s sister, Mae. Unfortunately, Mae is a wild child and William does not like this. He tasks his wife, Charlotte into watching Mae. It is not long before Charlotte is intrigued by Mae and her short dresses and red lipstick. After Charlotte catches Mae sneaking out a few times to see her girlfriend, Fiona; Charlotte jumps into Mae’s world with both feet.

It is in this world that Charlotte meets Jake. Jake is a bartender at a
Janeka
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
DISCLAIMER: I received this book free from the publisher through the GoodReads first-reads review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. All quotes are based on an uncorrected text.

This was such an amazing read! I got so interested reading about the 1920's in New York, getting to know all these influent families, and the effect of the Prohibition Law..
I could almost picture the ladies with the short haircuts, beautiful dreses, dancing
Brandice
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This book had a great balance of mystery, scandal & romantic elements. I enjoy historical fiction and overall, really enjoyed The Gin Lovers but didn't like "where" the ending left off. I realize it's part of a series but I wouldn't preferred a more conclusive final chapter. Not sure if I'll read the remaining books in the series but this one definitely held my interest.
Shari Spencer
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. I felt like I was transported back to the 20s High Society, and the darkness that lurks behind it. It shows that the upstanding veneers that the people of High Society put forth are not always what they seem. Loved the references to great jazz artists! Will definitely recommend!
Jennifer Laam
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Gin Lovers is fast-paced and so much fun. I love this era (The Roaring Twenties) and Jamie Brenner brought it fully to life. Charlotte and Mae are relatable characters and great company. As an added bonus, the love scenes are hot! I had a great time reading and look forward to more from Jamie Brenner.
Jill
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
an awesome read! felt like a " to be continued"... what I didn't like: didn't feel like true love. felt like the romance could go in a new direction. don't wanna spoil by saying how/why I think this. but still, on the edge! page Turner!
Hope Tarr
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Set in Prohibition era NYC and peppered with historical persons (e.g., Cole Porter), THE GIN LOVERS is a decadently sudsy, delicious treat. The ending will leave you panting for the sequel.
Mar 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Oh boy. I don’t even know where to begin. This reads like amateur 1920s fan fiction. Overall, this book felt like a collection of scenes cobbled together with little thought towards a cohesive plot line. I enjoyed it immensely at first in spite of the unpolished writing (think undergrad), but the shine quickly wore off. Perhaps a good editor could have saved this story, but I’m doubtful. It’s a neat premise and, were it thoughtfully crafted and the characters fleshed out properly, could be a fun ...more
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this one, but I didn't like that this didn't wrap anything up at the end. You HAVE to read all 6 back to back in order to get any beginning, middle, and end satisfaction. The good thing is, it's a quick read and the characters are great. I just wish there was some closure with each book in this series.
Renee Mercer
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little bit of love, a whole lot of scandal set in the roaring twenties. If all "romance" novels were written like this, I read a lot more of them! The setting and characters are fantastic; not another cheesy romance without an actual plot. My only gripe was the ending two pages- I thought Rafferty didn't deserve to go out like that, but I guess not everyone can have a perfect ending.
Cassie
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a well-crafted story. The details were phenomenal. I truly felt transported to 1925 Prohibition-era New York City. This book felt like a mix of “Downton Abbey” and “The Great Gatsby,” and I loved it!
Natalie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, audiobook
Couldn't finish. I didn't really care for most of the characters so I wasn't invested in the story.
Laura Krogh
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. A fun, easy read.
Kevin Bomely
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read it cover to cover in one sitting. Could not put it down!
Linda Georges
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the book more than I thought I would. It was convoluted at times with everything that was going on with prohibition, but I did enjoy it.
Scott
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent romance novel with characters you can care about. The love scenes in the beginning of the book felt a little stilted, but they became more organic further into the story.
Jessica
Entertaining read.
Juliet G. Medina-Despard
Great Series

Just started the series with book 1. Read through it immediately. The characters are well written . just got the 2 nd book. I am so happy
Literary Vixens
Oct 01, 2013 added it
Recommends it for: fans of romance novels and the roaring 20s
Reviewed by: Melissa

The Gin Lovers is a sexy romp with the aristocrats of Prohibition Era NYC that boldly looks at the plight of women who one day discover that the life they lead is not the life they want. Set amongst the glitz and glamor of New York City’s elite in 1925, this racy tale smartly examines the struggles of women who were ahead of their time and dared to want more than society was willing to allow.

This soap opera-like story begins with the star studded funeral of socialite,
Renee
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I wasn't expecting to read this all in one sitting. I mean, it's written in a soap opera-like way with each scene taking off where one ends, but, as with Brenner's other novel (writing as Logan Belle, The Librarian), I was instantly pulled in as soon as I started reading. And I enjoyed every minute.

The story begins with a funeral and the family expectations that are placed upon the surviving members inside a powerful New York family during the 1920s. It is prohibition time and I felt myself
E.H. Nolan
Feb 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
When done properly, I am a huge fan of novels set in the 1920s. The Gin Lovers, unfortunately, was not done properly. Several times I actually considered permanently closing the book, but I finished it in hopes of a redeeming ending. The characters are as follows: 1) a timid married woman who finally "lets loose" and cheats on her husband with 2) a bootlegger without morals, whose club is being investigated by 3) a married undercover agent who, once exposed to the sleazy underground, becomes ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
THE GIN LOVERS by Jamie Brenner is an interesting Historical Romance set during the roaring 20's. "First published as a six-part e-serial. Now this sensual and romantic story of how one high society woman's passion and courage lead her to love is available for the first time ever as a complete book."
An intriguing story of the roaring 20's,social revolution,prohibition,the gilded life and the flappers. Filled with betrayal,romance,sex,mystery,secrets,lust,liquor,and love. Sheltered wife,
Meesh
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked where this book started. The world built up decently, showing the Gilded Age for what it was - a gilded cage. The characters were believable, and the speakeasy scene as a whole was hectic and hidden and fun.

It fell apart at the end, though. There were a lot of details that were just left behind. Things that were being built up to be interesting were just cast off in favor of an easy ending.

I definitely liked the majority of the book, and the pacing was pretty good until those last few
Cocktails and Books
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed The Gin Lovers. At first the story seemed a little bit slow but the more that I read it, I really got into it. I haven't read too many time period books and this one took place int he 20's around the flappers, prohibition, and good girls trying to make a name for themselves while the women who are still trying to stay good socialites are putting the girls coming out in the new world that is around them down. I would definately recommend this book.

Reviewed by Teresa for Cocktails
Meg
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Apparently this started out as an ebook serial, which did not make a lot of sense to me. But I guess that just means it was first published in parts, and then put into a complete book.

It's 1925 and Charlotte Delacorte is stuck in the traditional world of the upper class. She has to deal with a controlling husband, rebellious sister-in-law, an Astor who wants her husband, and an affair with a bootlegger.

I read this in about two days. It was definitely a quick read, and interesting enough that
Jennifer Gillette
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Part really good, part predictable, and part too-much-lesbian-sex. I'm all for equal opportunity sex scenes, and since I didn't buy this for any love story or to get all hot and bothered, I skimmed all the sex scenes - but the lesbian ones were much more frequent. I think the author was trying to drive home the point of how forbidden it was...but I got it, no need to keep graphically explaining it.
Stacy Kimbriel
I enjoyed the book. I loved the characters and the various storylines. I felt like the ending was not as well developed as the overall stor; thus, I felt let down with the ending. I didn't realize it was a series when I started it. I may pick up the next one, but Gin Lovers had a bit too much explicit sex for my general reading taste .

I did really enjoy the roaring 20s, prohibition and NY high society aspects of the book.
Christine
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was addicting! I always wanted a better picture painted of what times were like switching from the 'corset/proper' era into the loosely dress/flapper era...This novel did just that!... It was interesting to see the different lifestyles of the 1920's, whether one is wealthy living in a mansion or one is hustling and living in a tiny apartment. This book does a great job of expressing the 1920's era (prohibition, fashion, political views, etc...) through a fun, page-turning storyline!
Cleared up your eyes take responsibility 1 1 Jul 09, 2015 08:23PM

• How to Bake a Perfect Life
  • Surfside Sisters
  • For Love
  • Death at Breakfast (Maggie Detweiler and Hope Babbin #1)
  • The Housewife
  • The Lake Shore Limited
  • The Good Sister
  • The Cornish Escape
  • Secrets Between Us
  • The Maiden Of Ireland
  • The Uninvited (Krewe of Hunters, #8)
  • Darkest Journey (Krewe of Hunters, #20)
  • The Second Wife
  • As Good as New
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • The Shape of Mercy
  • Discover Your Inner Wisdom: Using Intuition, Logic, and Common Sense to Make Your Best Choices
Jamie Brenner is the bestselling author of the THE FOREVER SUMMER, THE HUSBAND HOUR, and THE WEDDING SISTERS. Her latest book is DRAWING HOME. She lives in New York City and spends her summers visiting the beach towns that inspire her novels.. For contact info, tour dates, and book clubs please visit www.jamiebrenner.com

The Gin Lovers (5 books)
  • Little White Lies (The Gin Lovers #2)
  • Society Sinners (The Gin Lovers #3)
  • Vice or Virtue (The Gin Lovers #4)
  • Dangerous Games (The Gin Lovers #5)
  • Hell Hath No Fury (The Gin Lovers #6)
“I don’t want to live. I want to love first, and live incidentally. —Zelda Fitzgerald” 2 likes