Start by marking “Stroke of Midnight (Cinderella Sisterhood, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stroke of Midnight (Cinderella Sisterhood, #2)

Stroke of Midnight

(Cinderella Sisterhood #2)

He's no Prince Charming. She doesn't have a pumpkin coach. Sometimes love is nothing like a fairy tale; it's even better...

It's Never Too Late

The infamous Laura Falkner has returned to London society in disguise. Determined to clear her father's name, she becomes a companion to elderly Lady Josephine—only to learn the woman's nephew is none other than Alexander Ross, the d
Mass Market Paperback, 345 pages
Published June 4th 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Stroke of Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stroke of Midnight

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Stroke of Midnight has the dubious honor of being the worst Regency HR I've recalled reading lately. Initially, this book was just dull, forgettable writing, unmemorable characters, dull and recycled mystery plot. However, the book took a turn for the worse as the our MC kept devolving further and further idiocy and our intrepid Lord Alex inexplicably falls further and further in love.

The cover is stunning, but it all goes downhill from there. The plot and mystery is recycled, the writing is unr
Huong
Jul 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Very amateur and weak plot. The author created a super sloppy mystery as the basis for this romance. Laura is the epitome of a TSTL heroine. More often than not, she comes off as a total ninny who will do as she wants without thinking logically. One track mind!

To uncover the circumstances of a jewelry theft that occured TEN years ago, Laura conceives the best plan is to prowl around high society sniffing out clues from who she feels are the actual guilty parties. Because you know, people will al
SidneyKay
May 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Dorine
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Rated 3.5 Blue Ribbons.

A satisfying regency whodunit, especially for those who love the nuances of a riches-to-rags-to-riches theme with some Cinderella similarities.

Laura Brown returns to London, hoping to care for her father who is injured, only to arrive too late. Disguised so that no one recognizes her, Laura visits her father's grave, and then feeling threatened by the constable accompanying her, runs off through the streets of London and seeks shelter in an open coach.

Hidden in the shadows
Susan
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book. Laura has returned to England to find that her father has been murdered, still without clearing his name. She decides that it is up to her now, though she isn't quite sure how she'll go about it. She manages to find a job as a companion to an old lady, only to discover that she's the aunt of the man Laura had loved, but holds responsible for her father's troubles. She doesn't trust his offer to help her but feels like she has no choice.

I liked Alex. He had made mistakes in the
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
3.5 Stars!

Thank you St Martin's Paperbacks for providing me a copy of this finished book exchange of an honest review!

After her father's get's accused of stealing the Blue Moon Diamond, Laura watches her entire life change within a blink of an eye. Just when things looked like they were going great with Alex the Earl of Copley, she walks on him trying to apprehend her father and take him in for the stolen jewelry when a matching set of earrings is discovered in his desk drawer.

Now her father is
Mary Gramlich
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Never underestimate the power of a well-fitted shoe

Having been ruined, betrayed, and hiding for so long Miss Laura Falkner is a master of blending in and not being seen. But when her return to London is forced upon her to figure out what happened to her father, Laura realizes it is long past time she resolve the issue that drove her from London. False accusations of being a jewelry thief were falsely thrust upon her father and haunted him his entire life. London was the city that cursed him and
Courtney
I found this book through a goodreads giveaway for a later book in the series that I did not win. The first few in the series were available from my local library, so I thought I'd give them a read. I always enjoy a good fairy tale retelling. And, while I didn't enjoy the first book in this series, I had hopes that they would improve. If nothing else, the cover on this one was quite beautiful :)

I can safely say that I liked this book more than the first one in the series. Alex and Laura had a hi
Linda
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Laura's life as the most sought after deb in the ton ends when the man courting her finds a duchesses stolen earrings in her father's desk. This drives Laura and her beloved father into exile living in Portugal to escape prison.

Ten years later obsession remains; the obsession to find the truth, the obsession to find a color and obsessions that masquerade as romance.

The mysterious Lady Clarissa brings her scarlet slippers and matchmaking eye to Laura's life. She sets her up as a companion to an
Nancy Messina
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
So this book felt very slow to me. I didn’t feel the premise was very believable and the villain seemed fine until he was crazy which I guess makes him a decent villain. I did feel the heroine had little regard for herself and wasn’t very good at making smart decisions.
Djaz
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
I’d hoped for a fun historical romance, instead I didn’t get more than a few pages in when the Lord Brosef decided to prey upon his inebriated love interest. Consent MUST be a part of romance novels for me, unless it’s consensual nonconsent in which case it’s still consent.
Elizabeth Mckernan
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying this series very much
Gina
An enjoyable read with minor issues with the story.
Chrissy
Really enjoying this series. The mystery in this one was well-written and paced, so that made it even better.
Holly
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Almost a 2 star. I had a hard time getting into this historical romance. The characters just didn't really call to me.
Katie(babs)
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Stroke of Midnight by Olivia Drake has a very implausible, somewhat eye rolling setup, but based on the main couple and their interactions and dialogue, I did enjoy this regency romance that’s high on the fluff and has overall lacking drama and tension with the plot. Laura, the heroine’s father, was accused of stealing some priceless jewelry and fled away to Portugal so not to be punished for the crime. The hero, Alex, the Earl of Copley at the time of the crime was courting Laura, but it was a ...more
Alexa
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in Olivia Drake's Cinderella Sisterhood series. But, while this one was entertaining enough. It didn't capture me the same way.

I think my main problem with the book was that I really didn't care for either of the main characters, and definitely didn't enjoy their romance. Laura is determined to clear her father's name. While I appreciate that, she literally just goes off a 'well they never got along hunch.' She refuses to even consider anyone else might have been
Elis Madison

The second recipient of the magic slippers is Laura Falkner. She's the daughter of a convicted felon, who fled England ahead of charges that would've gotten him hanged. Determined to clear her now-dead father's name, she returns to England in disguise.

After an encounter with Lady Clarissa Milford, she finds herself the companion of the dotty Lady Josephine (and the owner of the aforementioned slippers). The position might just give the scandalous Laura access to society—which is just what she n
Chelsey Wolford
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
First of all, I was enraptured by this cover! How beautiful! Secondly, the name of this series is, Cinderella Sisterhood. How can anyone say “no” to these two things? This is only my second book by Olivia Drake, the other being the first book in this series, and I must say that I am impressed with her writing. Her storylines are very easy to keep up with, even though they are fast-paced, and everything that happens in the story flows and makes for a nice reading pace for me as the reader. This p ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
When Laura Falkner receives a letter stating that her father has been seriously injured in London, she boards the first ship, prepared to nurse her father back to health. Instead, she is taken to his grave. Now back in London, the city she had to flee ten years ago, she’d determined to solve the mystery of who stole the Blue Moon diamond and clear her family’s name. The last person she wants to run into is Alex Ross, Earl of Copley; the man who stole her heart and the brutally smashed it when he ...more
Melissa McHugh
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Overall

There's something about this book that I just don't connect with. All of the elements should be there, but something is missing -- I think it's in the characters and the romance after a certain point. This is one of the books that does the setup just right but misses the dismount.

Laura Faulkner returns after ten years abroad--she and her father were once the toast of the ton but forced to flee when he was accused of stealing one of the most valuable diamonds from a leading hostess. Until
Melanie
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Full review available here: http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookRev...

Fairy tale retellings seem to be constantly popular. Variations of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White are all over the place, just to name a few. Instead of retelling the story of Cinderella, Stroke of Midnight brings in that one piece of magic that make the HEA happen – the glass slipper. And if there was ever someone in need of magic, our heroine, Laura, definitely fits the bill.

Ten years ago, Laura Faulkner’s father
Vânia Nunes
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vânia by: Olivia Drake
The theft of a valuable diamond necklace ends up making Mr Martin Falkner accused of the crime. While saying he was innocent, Falkner was forced to flee from England with his daughter, Laura. Years ahead Falkner is murdered in London whose trip Laura didn't even know her father had done. Determined to prove the innocence of her father, she accepts the Lady Josephine companion work.
Laura was presented to this work by Lady Milford, known matchmaker and also a kind of fairy godmother, borrowing the
Patricia Solla
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, pbs
This story begins with a jewel theft, a suspect who with the help of his daughter flees the country (even though he claims he is innocent), and a romantic involvement thwarted when the daughter finds her boyfriend trying to arrest her father. Now 10yrs later, the father is dead, the daughter returns to find the real jewel thief and of course becomes involved with the former boyfriend. Though it is mentioned that this is book 2 of a series by the author. I found the reference to shoes quite enjoy ...more
Mary Craven
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is too hot to do much. I try to get my work done in the morning/early afternoon and then give myself time to cool down with a good book. Getting more reading done this month than most.

Really have enjoyed this book. A romance with a bit of a mystery and a nice twist in the end. I have the third Cinderella Sisterhood book on my to read stack and am looking forward to more summer afternoons to cool off with a hot book.
Lori Yvette Fernandez Lopez
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good book. I will admit that in the begining I was a little dissapointed. I was almost hoping that Alex was gonna end up being the bad guy and she was gonna find someone new to heal the hurt from 6 years ago. I did enjoy the way it turned out though!
TJ
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Lovely series following a pair of slippers!
Kim
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Laura's father is accused of stealing a very famous diamond necklace, making it necessary for them to flee England, and Laua returns ten yrs later to immediately meet Alex, her lost beau.
Daisy
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5/5
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 26, 2015 08:33AM

• What a Lady Needs (The Redgraves, #2)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • A Bride by Moonlight (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #4)
  • Lover Be Mine (Legendary Lovers, #2)
  • A Passion for Pleasure (Daring Hearts, #2)
  • The Marrying Season (Legend of St. Dwynwen, #3)
  • The Magic of "I Do" (Faerie, #2)
  • Once She Was Tempted (Honeycote, #2)
  • Midnight Temptations with a Forbidden Lord (Dangerous Rogues, #2)
  • When She Said I Do (Worthington, #1)
  • The Devil's Heart (The Chattan Curse, #3)
  • Her Hesitant Heart
  • How to Tame Your Duke (A Princess In Hiding, #1)
  • The Seduction of a Duke (Chambers Trilogy, #2)
  • The Secret Life of Lady Julia
  • Pleasing the Pirate (Secrets & Seduction, #3)
  • Lord of Wicked Intentions (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #3)
  • A Most Scandalous Proposal
Shortly after graduating from Michigan State University with a degree in journalism, Olivia Drake sold her first novel two weeks after sending it to a publisher. She now lives in Texas in a cozy cottage with a feisty cat, a loving husband, and two wonderful daughters who still come back whenever they want a home-cooked meal.

Many of you already know Olivia as Barbara Dawson Smith, author of 24 his

Cinderella Sisterhood (6 books)
  • If the Slipper Fits (Cinderella Sisterhood, #1)
  • Abducted by a Prince (Cinderella Sisterhood, #3)
  • Bella and the Beast (Cinderella Sisterhood, #4)
  • His Wicked Wish (Cinderella Sisterhood, #5)
  • The Scandalous Flirt (Cinderella Sisterhood, #6)