Start by marking “Merry and Bright” as Want to Read:

Finding Mr Right
Brilliant chemist Maggie Bell has a knack for choosing Mr. Wrong, and with yet another lonely Christmas looming, she decides it's time to alter the equation - and seek out someone who seems totally wrong for her. Eureka! The heart is a genius...

Bah, Handsome
Behind on her bills, B&B owner Hope receives an unlikely guest - stranded solicitor Danny,
Published September 24th 2013 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Merry and Bright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry and Bright

Start your review of Merry and Bright
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Finding Mr Right: the smart woman wins the heart of the stud muffin, who she had a major crush on in high school. I will always devour that story line!

Bah, Handsome: love that Jill Shalvis wrote a nerdy hero, but the heroine was too bitchy for my tastes.

Ms. Humbug: my favorite of the three. Hate-to-love stories seem to be doing it for me lately. ^_^
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Story 1 was super cute, stories 2 & 3 were ok. But JILL SHALVIS, so I'm ok with it.
Susan
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finding Mr Right

Fun story. Maggie is tired of her bad luck in finding Mr. Right and with the encouragement of her sister, decides to have some fun with a Mr. Wrong instead. When she discovers that the man in charge of renovating the office where she works
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Jill Shalvis + Christmas stories = Happiness!

That’s really all you have to know. MERRY AND BRIGHT is a Jill Shalvis orgy of her Christmas stories compiled together in one book. That being said, you may want to check and see if you’re already read these stories before since they are reprints of older titles. I haven’t read them and I wasn’t sure what exactly to expect since they are older works of my favourite author, but once I cracked into it, I realized that I had nothing to worry about. ALL
Samantha
Merry and Bright by Jill Shalvis is a collection of three short stories set around Christmas. I don’t normally read holiday setting books, but I picked this one up for the Ho Ho Ho Read-a-thon.

I’ve only ever read one other book by Shalvis and this collection reminded me why I never picked-up another. While the stories aren’t bad, they’re just not my thing. If I read a contemporary romance, I tend to want the conflict to stay at believable levels.The fact that Shalvis seems to think that all her
Dee

Three women find love

I love Christmas books
Three holiday novellas
All happy endings

Note: This is a reprint of older holiday novellas. I hadn't read any of them previously, but you might want to check before buying.
Kate
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novellas, romance, 2014
The first two stories in this collection were terrible. The writing was sloppy and felt like mediocre fanfic to me. The plots were kind of ridiculous and also not at all suited to novellas. The plot in the last one was also not suited to a novella, but there was some good tension and chemistry between the leads and the writing was markedly better. And all three female characters were primarily motivated by the fact that they desperately wanted orgasms. They were obsessed with orgasms. And, ...more
Carol
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read two out of three stories and could not work up the enthusiasm to read the third. The plots were cute and the characters okay, but for short stories there seemed to be an awful lot of sex. I prefer relationships to be more developed before sex is involved.
Deborah Vespo
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Three cute Christmas short stories. Don't know why but I go through these fazes throughout the year where I want to read Christmas stories!

Finding Mr. Wright: Chemist Maggie Bell finds that a man she knew in high school, Jacob, is doing some renovation work at the company she works for. She hasn't had much luck with the guys who she thinks are ideal for her, so on the advice of a friend she decides to go for a guy who is totally opposite of her and Jacob is looking like the ideal candidate.
Anne - Books of My Heart
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Well this is a Jill Shalvis book so of course, I liked it. The stories are all set right before Christmas but do not really include anything holiday related except minor mentions of shopping or decorating or travel plans. This is actually 3 long stories in this book.

1. Finding Mr Right 5 stars
This is my favorite in the bunch. Maggie is a scientist, smart. Jacob owns a construction company. They knew each other in high school. He was a popular, sports star. She was years younger, a nerd, not
Jessica Alcazar
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
THIS was a little bundle of goodness!
All 3 stories had the great wit, humor and sexiness that Ms Shalvis has normally delivered but Finding Mr Right stood out WAY above all! From "$1.19" to "Goddammit, are you getting naked?" I laughed so hard I thought I would pee my pants. I couldn't stop. Maggie made for a very entertaining 100 pages or so. The only tiny little thing that I would change is the 'i love you' part. The story didnt need it. It actually took away from it's realism a little bit.
Darcy
These 3 stories were cute, but the set up a little hard for me to buy into, especially the last one. Being that they were short stories it seemed like things moved at super speed.
OpenBookSociety.com

Author’s Website: http://jillshalvis.com/
Review brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

Synopsis:

Finding Mr. Right
Brilliant chemist Maggie Bell has a knack for choosing Mr. Wrong, and with yet another lonely Christmas looming, she decides it’s time to alter the equation – and seek out someone who seems totally wrong for her. Eureka! The heart is a genius…

Bah, Handsome
Behind on her bills, B&B owner Hope
Andra Weis
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Review:

Finding Mr. Right

From the first page I was drawn into Maggie`s plight…and I totally loved her sister`s suggestion! Why not choose Mr. Wrong since Mr. Right (on paper that is) has not worked out in the past (maybe I should take a lesson from her playbook?). As it turns out…Mr. Wrong (aka Jacob) is an old high school crush who just happens to be working as the guy in charge of earthquake retrofitting her office building.

Maggie is insecure (with
Jessi
Finding Mr. Right
If you can't find Mr. Right, mess around with Mr. Wrong. At least that is the theory Maggie Bell, genius scientist, is working by. So she decides to hook up with Jacob Wahler, currently working on the earthquake retrofitting in Maggie's office. Also her high school crush.
But is her newfound romance a result of great chemistry or the lotion that her bosses have developed?

Bah Handsome
Hope O'Brien borrowed money from her stepbrother to try and bolster her aging B&B. And now
Molly
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories have their own style and Jill writes them well. My favorite of the three was the last one.

Finding Mr. Right, was cute and amusing, but the story was farfetched, even for my techie self. Still fun.

Bah Handsome, lots of fun and laughs. Loved both main characters and the two peripheral pals were really funny. I got hung up on some continuity issues.

Ms. Humbug was my favorite of the three. Definitely the steamiest of the three. Matt was just the best hero for me.

Fun reads with love and
Sinshine
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a collection of three short stories that I enjoyed for what they were. Short Stories.

The move at a very, very fast pace and so things happen so suddenly. The "I love Yous" too fast, the sex too fast, but meh...it is what it is.

This was a relax in the tub book for me. I giggled a few times and I rolled my eyes more times. But I like the holiday theme and they were cute short stories.
D
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Three Christmas holiday short romance stories make up this book. Just a fast and fun lighthearted read celebrating the joy of connection. A small amount of mystery is intertwined in two of the stories to give the tale a bit more kick.
Ellie (bookmadbarlow)
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
3 lovely light romances set around the Christmas period. All had an added bit of suspense as well making these easy and fund to read.
I always love the characters in Shalvis' novels.
Jaime Moynihan Baum
Fun read

It was 3 enjoyable stories, just for fun... ... .. . . . . . . . . . .
Catherine
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn’t know what I was getting into with this one. A little too steamy and too cheesy for my taste.
Brandy St. Amand Chesney
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved all three story’s fantastic
Nancy
May 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not recommended.
Sue Stewart
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, short Christmas stories!
Laurel
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Holiday paperback romances are a warm fluffy blanket I love to wrap myself in :)
Misti
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Liked the first story best, but it’s one of my favorite tropes: smart, nerdy, awkward woman and hot man. :)
Ruthie Bronkema
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved all three stories...each could be their own book ..
Julie Barrett
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Merry and Bright by Jill Shalvis
Love that this book actually has three stories from Jill included.
Finding Mr. Right
This book is about Maggie and she's a chemist and knows tons of random facts on any subject. She's given up on her social life to get to where she's at. She meets the contractor on the job working on the companies renovations and realizes Jacob who was once in her chemistry class is the contractor.
Her sister wants a Christmas gift that Maggie will have sex with Mr. Wrong and Jacob
Cheri
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains three short stories that take place around Christmas. All of them very sweet and steamy.

Finding Mr. Right
I love, love, loved Maggie and her word vomit. She cracked me up. And Jacob was wonderful. Maggie might have felt awkward and nervous around him at first, but not because of anything he did. He found the quirks that bothered her about herself cute and endearing. The whole mystery/sci-fi aspect of her work has me a bit torn. It was interesting, but a somewhat over the top.
Kelly (Belle of the Literati)
I really enjoyed all these stories! Short, sweet, sexy, and full of holiday magic. Finding Mr Right: This story hilarious because the heroine is so socially awkward that she blurts out random facts when she's nervous and it's so funny in a really endearing way. The hero is a contractor--rawr--and very sweet. Some crazy stuff goes down and when he shows his protective and territorial side, I swooned. Bah Handsome: This story puts your heart and mind right in the middle of the holiday season. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Can the title of this Jill Shalvis book be fixed? 2 17 May 28, 2013 01:43AM

• Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
  • Bare It All (Love Undercover, #2)
  • A Soldier's Return
  • Let It Snow
  • Not Quite Over You (Happily Inc, #4)
  • Marry Me at Christmas (Fool's Gold, #19)
  • Run the Risk (Love Undercover, #1)
  • It Started One Christmas
  • The View from Alameda Island
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Season of Wonder (Haven Point, #9)
  • Why Not Tonight (Happily Inc, #3)
  • The Cottages on Silver Beach (Haven Point, #8)
  • Island of Flowers
  • The First Love Cookie Club (Twilight, Texas, #3)
  • Antoni in the Kitchen

Look for Jill's latest, LOST AND FOUND SISTERS on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's
“Mistletoe." Lorie snatched up the dried spirg, and held it to her chest like it was a bar of gold...
"It's for you."
"You want to kiss me? Well, why didn't you just say so?" Hope leaned in and puckered up. "Give me your best shot."
Laughing, Lorie shoved her away.
"I don't want to kiss you. I want someone else to kiss you. A penis-carrying someone.”
0 likes