Start by marking “The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One, #10)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One #10)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  1,891 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
With U.S. intelligence agencies wracked by internal power struggles and paralyzed by bureaucracy, the President was forced to establish his own clandestine group - Covert-One. It is only activated as a last resort, when the threat is on a global scale and time is running out.

When Christian Dresner of Dresner Industries unveils a device that will revolutionize the world - t

Published March 26th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Utopia Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Utopia Experiment

Colin Welch
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I normally avoid reading books in the Ludlum "franchise", but The Utopia Experiment was given to me as a present and I thought it would be a good way to spend some time. I was pleasantly surprised: Kyle Mills is a natural storyteller who has that gift of combining plot and characters in a intriguing and entertaining manner, and combining them with topical elements like cutting edge technology. This is a very good action thriller; I strongly recommend it.
Michael Bates
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
Plot-4.5 Stars
Characters-4 Stars
Setting-4 Stars

This is one of my favorite in the Cover-One series. Action and humor are my cup of tea. This book has Lt. Smith and Randi Russell team up together and their back and forth banter is great. Their friend Marty should get his own stand alone book. He is a funny yet exasperating hacker.
I like my spies to be smart. Bourne etc. and Smith fits in that category. Normally he is one of the smartest yet in this book, he gets the Merge technology (Very advanced
Jen
I really enjoyed this book. The first half was likable but a bit hard to follow due to all the point-of-view changes and a somewhat difficult-to-track passage of time. But the second half really took off and had some very enjoyable "wow" moments. :)

I considered not reading this book since it's part of a series and I haven't read any of the preceding books, but since it's my August sci-fi book club selection at my library, I decided to give it a chance. And I'm very glad I did!

There seemed to be
Matt
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
What if something emerged that made the smartphone, with all its apps, an obsolete piece of plastic? Could the body, more specifically the mind and eyes, become a living and breathing battery to run this ‘live-in app’ and lets people make connections with others based on numerous key criteria, all shown as an aura around the bodies in front of them? Mills presents this in his latest installment of the Robert Ludlum Covert-One series. Filled with strong and ongoing characters, a great plot, and t ...more
Matt
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised by this book. After the last one I didn't expect to enjoy this one as much. I'm glad to see Kyle Mills back writing in this series (He wrote The Ares Decision and then the next Covert One book The Janus Reprisal was written by Jamie Freveletti, which wasn't bad but somewhat disappointing). I like his use of the main characters of Jon Smith, Randi Russel, and Fred Klein. I also like the inclusion of Marty Zellerbach in the series again (he's one of my favorite side characte ...more
Nancy Cook  Lauer
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kyle Mills has done an excellent job carrying on Ludlum's heritage. I love Dr. Smith and Randi and especially Zellerbach the hacker. It's like meeting up with old friends after a long absence. The plot was solid and carried through to the end. I especially liked the bleeding edge technology. Where do we go from the smartphone? This one has the answer. Although they advertise the Ludlum books as being "from the creator of Jason Bourne," I like these guys better -- less shoot 'em up and more techi ...more
Louize
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Thank you, Kyle Mills, for making Marty Zellerback very famous in this installment! :)
John
interesting very close to truth
Robeert Kane
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read but too much tech talk .

The author has not been in enough close calls to express the proper emotions that you feel when they happen.
Tim
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This well written story contains interesting leads who contribute significantly to make this techno thriller a good read. 8 of 10 stars
Jeff Tonkinson
I liked how it started as a high-tech-medical thriller. I had forgotten the Covert 1 novels but had no problem picking up the characters. However as the plot rolled along it broke my ability to "suspend disbelief" and found it laughable at a few spots. Also there were some threads that seemed to serve no purpose. Even the plot thread related to the title, "Utopia Experiment", never seemed to fit into the book.

Ok if you like hero military spy doctors.
Sfilante
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. I am surprised so many people liked this book. It felt like a made for TV movie or series. Cliched characters who are paper thin. I managed to finish it and am ready to forget it and the series.
Cheryl Sinclair
Non stop action that I couldn't put down.
Walter T. Mara
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nonfat action

My husband who'd already read this book several years ago suggested I might enjoy it. I couldn't put it down!
Gail Morris
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy - that's all I can say about this story line. . .
Janice
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-thriller
I more or less screamed "don't do it" as soon as this one started. But they did. *sigh* At least it was a fairly entertaining ride listening to them get out of the mess.
Vishal Kale

{A Covert-One Series Novel written by Kyle Mills This is the latest in the Covert-One series, featuring Jon Smith and Randi Russell. .}

THE PLOT
What happens when all information goes online, the large majority of an individual's information is on the internet, or on connected computer systems? What happens when you get one device that can combine the power of your most advanced computing device, your cell-phone as well as other electronic devices - all that have been invented - into one powerful
Dean C. Moore
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ironically, this is the first Ludlum novel I’ve read. I say ironically because he’s been dead over ten years now and this is one of the books penned by the writers tasked with carrying on the franchise. This particular installment was scribed by Kyle Mills. As a techno-thriller, I found it quite the page turner and devoured it inside of a few days. It’s easy to imagine this scenario playing out for real in the days ahead; I wouldn’t even be surprised if something similar was going on in the shad ...more
Bob Miller
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The topic of The Utopia Experiment is the next logical step beyond accessing the internet with computers or G-glasses-- direct input. How could a new tech like that be used and abused?

Jon Smith, one of the military's top medical men is appointed to investigate this new technology by the genius, Christian Dresner, who's entire career has been dedicated to helping humanity. The technology promises to become life-changing / world-changing; helping the deaf to hear and the blind to see, literally, b
Tom Donaghey
THE UTOPIA EXPERIMENT is the latest in the Robert Ludlum inspired Covert One action series. Covert One is the President’s own personalized clandestine paramilitary action group, to be used when any other option is out of the question. Think silent black helicopters and operators who do so without talking, move silently and infiltrate out of action without leaving a ripple behind them.
Dresner Industries reveals their latest smart device, The MERGE, certain to make all other forms of communicati
DayDreamer
*It's not sci-fi, but the introduced technology is still to be invented. Let it be a long way in the future.

I am becoming a specialist at ruining my life. I could teach lessons on the subjects.
Given the choice of reaа microbiology or a spy thriller about a doctor(microbiologist)/military/border genius/spy called Jon Smith, guess what I'll pick? For inspiration, I'll even lie to myself. And I'll pretend I believe it.

That doesn't mean the book is a life ruiner. Far from it. Still, it does have e
Tex Reader
3.5 of 5 stars – Nice, Fast Paced, Pretty Standard Techno-Thriller.

This is my first Covert-One novel, but it works well as a stand-alone. And I can see why these are best sellers. It’s action-packed with an intriguing premise of dealing with a modern hi-tech version of big brother, juxtaposed with balancing the moral issue of what ends justify what means. And then there are the tensions of what are indeed the true ends and motivations of the players.

I’m not a computer or tech expert, so what was
Ian McGaffey
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun look at the acceptanve of technology and how it changes our life, also the way that could pose threats. I quite enjoyed the way that covert one had to deal with the issue of cyber attacks on a worldwide front. I look forward to their next story.
Zora
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Shockingly good technothriller. I don't expect that of books written by dead guys (or in their series), but Mills has penned some good thrillers of his own (The Beamon novels) and one great one, imo (Fade), so as I scanned through audiobooks on Overdrive at the library, this looked worth trying, and I'm glad I did.

He gives us a believable next generation of something like Google Glass, a smart phone that has some hardwiring, but not so much hardwiring that it feels like far-future science fictio
Chelo Biggerstaff
(Audiobook version)

Average Ludlum-style thriller. What if your phone connected directly to your brain? What if it could enhance your vision, hearing, and sleep? What if the military could use it?

When John Smith is assigned to check out the new Merge technology, he's cautiously interested. But the more he tests it, the more he finds it to be THE technological advance of the 21st century. But why is Dresner, long known to be anti-military, willing to give the US military an exclusive contract for
Hertzan Chimera
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a lucky book.

Lucky that it's written with all the guile and tenacity of a classic Ludlum page-turner.

What's not 'classic' about it is the 'jarring' copy editing, which is (often) sloppy at the most crucial part of the book i.e. the start, when a book needs to gain a reader's confidence. An instance of 'these multiple things WAS GOOD' stand out, though I'm not going searching for them, along with a couple of missed catches in the 'spelling' department. They're there and they shouldn't be,
Tom Tischler
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lt Col Jon Smith a member of Covert One a top secret
clandestine group is assigned to access the military
potential of a new device from Dresner Industries called
the Merge. This device is designed to make personal
computers and smart phones obsolete. Col Smith finds that
with enhanced vision, real time battlefield displays un-
breakable security and near perfect marksmanship the face
of warfare will be changed forever. Meanwhile in the mount-
ains of Afghanistan CIA operative Randi Russell finds an
en
WriteKnight
The Utopia Experiment was an entertaining thriller that pursued the possibility of how our modern technology might be used for good or bad purposes.

The author did a good job of bringing us along on the plot, and the characters were fairly well developed. There was not a much depth in them or how they relate to each other as there might be even in a thriller, where action usually predominates. I liked how the author pitted different political players against each other, but at times the plot seem
Cindy
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like this series better than Bourne. Well narrated and recommended.
Trish Jackson
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about one very powerful man's quest to rid mankind of evil by exterminating the 'bad' people of the world. His revolutionary technology, which is adopted by everyone in the world. did not come without sacrifice of innocent people.

CIA operative Randi Russell observes one of the experiments in which an entire village in Afghanistan is wiped out--men, women and children, and makes it her mission to find out why the men simply allowed themselves to be killed without resistance.

Colon
Any idea if this is the last one to be written? 1 4 Mar 11, 2014 08:05PM
  • The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9)
  • The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)
  • The Paris Option (Covert-One, #3)
  • The Bourne Retribution (Jason Bourne, #11)
  • The Altman Code (Covert-One, #4)
  • The Lazarus Vendetta (Covert-One, #5)
  • The Janson Option (Paul Janson, #3)
  • The Janson Equation (Paul Janson, #4)
  • The Plutonium Blonde (Nuclear Bombshell, #1)
  • The Exile (Ryan Kealey, #4)
  • The Dead Kid Detective Agency (The Dead Kid Detective Agency, #1)
I grew up in Oregon but have lived all over—D.C., Virginia, Maryland, London,
Wyoming. My father was an FBI agent and I was a bureau kid, which is similar to being an army brat. You tend to spend your time with other bureau kids and get transferred around a lot, though, I fared better on that front than many others.

One positive aspect of this lifestyle is that you can’t help but absorb an enormous
More about Kyle Mills

Covert-One (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Hades Factor (Covert-One, #1)
  • The Cassandra Compact (Covert-One, #2)
  • The Paris Option (Covert-One, #3)
  • The Altman Code (Covert-One, #4)
  • The Lazarus Vendetta (Covert-One, #5)
  • The Moscow Vector (Covert-One, #6)
  • The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)
  • The Ares Decision (Covert-One, #8)
  • The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9)
  • The Geneva Strategy (Covert-One, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Color Me Murder (Pen & Ink)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fight Dirty (Renegade Justice, #1)
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Professor (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99
“Christian Dresner could design a hell of a nasty military app. “Okay, Duane. I” 0 likes
“sign of” 0 likes