Start by marking “How To Quit Playing Hockey” as Want to Read:
How To Quit Playing Hockey

How To Quit Playing Hockey

(Hockey #1)

Mac has never wanted to be out. He's not ashamed of his sexuality--especially after he started hooking up with his teammate, Fritzy. The lies are exhausting, but the risks that come with the truth are enough to convince him to keep his mouth shut.

Fritzy already has a reputation as a troublemaker. He's actually good enough to make to the major leagues … if anyone will take
Published September 18th 2012 by Loose Id LLC (first published September 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How To Quit Playing Hockey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Quit Playing Hockey

Julio Genao
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
This was fun.

Isa K.'s voice is both self-assured and impertinent, which inspires confidence right away that you're in good hands until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.

I found Marc to be irritatingly neurotic, and then charmingly neurotic; there's a bit with a ukulele that more or less sealed the deal as far as my opinion of him was concerned. After all, it's not his fault he has a chronic and debilitating nervous condition, right?

Fritzy was adorable. And just when you think he's too
Mandapanda
Shelves: various-romance
I can't resist m/m hockey romance. When this well written story opens local league hockey pros Mac and Fritzy are enjoying the off season and their first time living together as a couple. But everything is in flux. They are teetering on the verge of committing, coming out, being promoted to the National Hockey League and being forced to retire.

The ups and downs of the out-for-you plot is grounded by a very sensuous love story. These two guys are always loyal and totally in to each other. The se
Ami
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wholeheartedly agree with what my friend Emma said on her review...

I don't think that this is a classic romance fiction about Mac and Fritz. When the story starts, Mac and Fritz are already together. And I never have doubts regarding their love to one another -- even with slight miscommunication in the end. Sure, Mac is insecure about coming out as a hockey player and he also contemplates whether it is the right time to tell Fritz "I love you", but I feel that it has never really been the big
Emma Sea
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not an m/m romance; rather a classic bildungsroman with added hot gay sex. The author highlights the universality and currency of the genre by setting the story in the hypermasculine culture of professional hockey, and using Mac being gay as the societal conflict and opportunity for growth and maturity. A genuine affection for the sport and its men shines through the whole book. By the end I was completely hooked, both on Mac, and on hockey. Through the last 20% I couldn't look away from my e-re ...more
Teal
*** 3.5 stars ***

I loved the rapport between Mac and Fritzy, who when the story begins are minor league hockey teammates and lovers. They're good to each other, and good for each other. It made me realize how rare that is in the m/m romance I've read, which often features angst and drama and intense emotion, but very rarely the genuine heartfelt affection these two guys shared.

The story was pretty laid-back, which is a plus or minus depending on what you have a taste for at the time. I was glad
Heller
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.75 [rounded up]

This had such authentic locker room feel to it. I really enjoy hockey stories and this for me was probably the best representation of what it's like to be a hockey player working your way between leagues.

You must read the free prequel There's Cock In This Book first. That's where we meet Mac D and Fritzy for the first time and they start their relationship. Fun stuff. Even if it has the most ridiculous title ever.

So here we meet the boys again. They're working away at lame sum
Lisa Henry
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, I know nothing about hockey. Seriously nothing. But Isa K obviously loves the sport and I think I kind of do now as well. What I really loved about the depiction of the sport here is that the guys aren't major league. They don't spend their downtime buying sports cars and hot tubs which (rightly or wrongly) is how I imagine major league sports stars spend their days. Mac and Fritzy have Real Jobs. And by real jobs, I mean shitty dead end jobs that pay the bills off-season.

And how sad is M
Hannah
3.5 stars.

I am a fan of romance and decidedly not a fan of sports, so I was surprised to find that my favorite parts of this book involve hockey culture and politics rather than the central relationship. Isa K.'s depiction of the unglamorous lifestyle of a minor league professional athlete is interesting, particularly since all the books I've previously read about athletes have featured major league players. It is actually a rather harrowing picture. Mac's love for the game is greater than his s
Bev
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bev by: Julio Alexi Genao

Well,this one will be the start of my Isa K. bookshelf, reviews are mixed, but I'm reviewing for me and no-one else, so 4 stars it is!

Mac and Fritzy are two ice hockey players [image error] who are obviously in the closet as far as their team-mates are concerned, and spend an idyllic summer together in the team house before the new season starts.

The problems start for the two of them when Fritzy is 'spotted', and moves away to a club from where he could have a shot at the NHL. Mac doesn't know
Chris
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, done, ebook, romance, hockey
3.5 stars. Good m/m romance about two closeted minor league hockey players whose idyllic summer together ends with the start of the new season as one is sent up to the majors and the other faces the possibility of being cut from the team and trying to define a post-hockey life.
Erin
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes my ebook reader can be so cruel. I'm reading along and all of a sudden I turned the page and The End was all that was there. I wasn't ready for it!

I read the story of when these two got together so I was so glad when I saw that their story was going to continue a bit longer. So many things to love about this one. :)
Val Kovalin
I knew nothing about hockey when I first picked up this book, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying the story. It doesn’t feature any long, involved scenes of hockey games, but even so, I think it will thrill the hockey-loving readers. Those readers with no hockey background might be as fascinated as I was by the vivid, three-dimensional glimpses of the everyday life of a hockey player in the AAA minor leagues.

It’s so refreshing that our heroes are not winning the Stanley Cup at the pinnacle of
SueM
I can't quite decide how I feel about this novel.

It was good in that I felt the two men - Mac and Fritzy - had a solid and loyal relationship, with the only issue causing them hesitation was whether they should be out or not, especially as Fritzy had a chance to make the big leagues.

But I admit, I didn't really enjoy the story as much as I could have, because for a large section of the novel, the two men were not actually together; they were forced into a long distance relationship, leaving us
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Smith Barney
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm such the suck-up for a sport-themed plot..with or without the balls.

Short but packs a potent punch and fortunate for me..well-received.
Chris, the Dalek King
I don’t get very many chances to read romance stories where the couple are already together (well, outside sequels anyways). Which is a pity because they’re some of my favourite kind. I like the idea that the coming together is not the end of the story, or that sometimes it takes years to get to the point of being ready to say I love you. Much like Mac and Fritzy, in this story, the romance isn’t so much in the ‘will they fall in love?’ but in the ‘what are they willing to sacrifice for that lov ...more
Madison Parker
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coming-out, athletes

Full review at www.madisonparklove.com.

Mac and Fritzy are hockey players in the junior leagues. Although they're both in their early twenties, Mac is approaching the end of his playing career, whereas Fritzy is on his way up to the big leagues. Neither wants to come out for fear of what it would mean to their futures in hockey. Because they live together in a large dwelling that houses all the single guys on the team, they have to be extra careful not to arouse suspicion. Although they're insepa
Trix
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this story. I was immersed into Mac's thinking and rationalisation as well as get a feel for the world of hockey.

(view spoiler)
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.com/bo...

Hockey has always fascinated me, and the way that the author peppered facts into this story seamlessly just caused that fascination to grow. Fritz and Mac are both hockey players and both in their late twenties so they’re on the downward slide of their careers. Being openly gay in Hockey could hurt their career, so they both work hard to keep their love a secret.

This story simmers and builds up slowly with every second very realistic
Helen
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a good book, but I think I liked the prequel better. It felt like Mac and Fritzy spent too much of the book apart, which meant we did not get much in the way of sexy goodness. Just a couple scenes. The whole story is told from Mac's perspective and I wish we could have gotten Fritzy's perspective too. There were so many times that I wish I knew what Fritzy was thinking. I think what saved this book for me was that I really like Mac and Fritzy as a couple, I just wish we could have gotte ...more
Pjm12
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Totally loved this. Loved Mac's voice. Loved the trusting relationship between he and Fritz.

Fritz himself was a lovely mess of contradictions: at times arrogent & powerful yet others humble and insecure. And all that lovely blushing. Not getting to spend any time in his head made me feel much admiration for Mac and the way he totally believed that Fritz was his.

The obstacles they faced were realistic. I would have liked Sarah to have been fleshed out a little more, but I did enjoy the charac
Snowtulip
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, sports, m-m
3.5

This book was yumminess with Mac and Fritzy front and center. I love sports stories and the complexities that come with working in that industry while in the closet. This story explores that hardship of love associated with the dream career and the dream of freedom to be who you are.

Mac does a lot of maturing throughout the story and I am a complete sucker for Mac and Fritzy's relationship...love them together.
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, m-m, sports
Three star book with some four star moments.
Yue
This book is not only sweet, but very romantic. When was the last time I've read a romantic MM? Hockey players, in an established relationship, who are also best of friends. Mac is a sweetheart and a bit paranoid. His bf Fritzy is nice and honest. After having living together for the summer, Fritzy goes to play for the big league, while Mac stays in his town, fearing he would lose his job since he is already old for the little league standard. He doesn't need to worry about it, he gets the C, bu ...more
Hrtnsoul28
Took me awhile to figure this one out. I sent so much time waiting for the big cheating scene I never seen the HEA coming. This was a sweet easy book to read. Wish it had a bit more hockey playing in it.
Valentina Heart
This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

I've discovered my love for hockey stories quite a while ago, but nothing tops those focused on a gay couple. I guess it just rocks my boat and the first story I've read by this author concerning the subject set up a high standard that just wasn't reached by this one.

I got a different impression about the characters and what might have been a plus in the short THERE'S COCK IN THIS STORY than in this lengthier
Dumbledore11214
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to read this book because I have read Guttersnipe by the same author and while I had some issues with it, I thought it was anything but boring and plot wise at least quite creative. Guttersnipe was anything but traditional romance and I wanted to see how this author handles traditional romance and when friend offered to loan it I jumped at the chance.

Basically I was bored out of my mind for most part of the story. Maybe it is because I have read so many "sports players coming out" stori
Rhode
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think you have to love a book that has "Six-pack-of-beer, cheese-in-a-can foreplay" in it.

This is totally NA although the two leads are in their mid-20s. It feels more real than the rest of the hockey romances out there. It's not dumb or too fluffy, nobody has millions of dollars because it mainly takes place in the extreme minor leagues. There's some angst, but it's a fairly short book, so you're not wading through it for 100s of pages.

My favorite part were the younger player's confused rea
Vallie
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm, spicy-hot, sports

Meh. Not bad but I wasn't blown away either. It didn't read like a romance to be honest. It was more about the MCs dealing with the future of being professional hockey players, being in the closet, dealing with homophobic team-players, and maintaining their "non-relationship." There was steam, and there were some sweet moments, but towards the end I started skimming because I was getting bored.

I would still recommend it for a light read to pass the time but don't expect to be impressed
Amy
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, read-in-2015
Hockey's not a sport I know anything about, nor one that I had any interest in prior to reading MM. But a few books last year changed that and now I think it is my favourite of the MM sport genres. This was a good read, not too much focus on the sport like in other novels, and more on the relationship between the characters and what that meant for their careers. I liked it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Out in the Field
  • See the Light (Safe Harbor, #1)
  • Offside (Offside, #1)
  • Frozen Hearts
  • Winging It
  • Crashing the Net (Crashing, #1)
  • Homo Action Love Story! A tall tale
  • Ravages
  • Aquamarine
  • Riding with Heaven
  • Cold War (Cold War, #1)
  • Your Biggest Fan (Self-Discovery, #1)
  • Calling the Show
  • Match Maker
  • Prize Package
  • Game Misconduct (Point Shot, #2)
  • Two-Man Advantage (Seattle Marauders, #1)
  • Written in the Stars
Isa K is a writer and techie currently residing in New York. Anything published under 'Isa K' is fantastic smut, anything under 'IsaKFT' is just fantastic ;)

Hockey (2 books)
  • There's Cock In This Book (The Hockey Story)
“If you’re gay how come you don’t dress better?”
. . .
“I’m undercover,” he answered. "Obviously. I’m reporting back tonight on how best to attack the heterosexual hockey male demographic.”
12 likes
“This is a completely heterosexual bro-hug that I offer in a totally nongay way to all my hockey brothers.” 9 likes