Start by marking “Revenge” as Want to Read:
Revenge

Revenge

Sinister forces draw together a cast of desperate characters in this eerie and absorbing novel from Yoko Ogawa.

An aspiring writer moves into a new apartment and discovers that her landlady has murdered her husband. Years later, the writer’s stepson reflects upon his stepmother and the strange stories she used to tell him. Meanwhile, a surgeon’s lover vows to kill him if he
Published January 29th 2013 by Picador (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge

Kris
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yoko Ogawa has made a name for herself as a writer who can unsettle her readers with her precise, detailed, impassive prose. Two of her previously published books, Hotel Iris: A Novel and The Diving Pool: Three Novellas, introduce themes of unsettled families, unhealthy relationships between characters and food, and sado-masochism. (Another of her novels, The Housekeeper and the Professor, is a much gentler story, showing Ogawa's range as a writer.) In Revenge: Stories, Ogawa revisits her earlie ...more
Marita
These tales of death and loss are each narrated by different people. Food plays an important role in each story: food as solace, food to carry on living. And so we have death/loss and strawberry shortcake, scallops meunière, strawberry cake with whipped cream, lots of kiwi fruit, plenty of tomatoes, five-fingered carrots, soft-serve ice-cream cones, hamburger, roasting meat, bacon and omelette, bouillabaisse and ...strawberry shortcake. Some of the stories are slightly macabre, a dash tongue-in- ...more
Jamie
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2017
One of my favorite books this year. Every story was dark and had a somber feel to them, all the while, every short story linking perfectly to one another.
Lynne King
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories

It was the title that struck me first of all, that of "Revenge: Eleven Dark Tales” and so on a whim I purchased it. I had never heard of Yoko Ogawa before.

What an extraordinary selection of eleven short stories and what an imagination the author has.

One of my two favourites was "Old Mrs J" and what a lot she has to hide. For a start, the death of her husband is quite a mystery.

Imagine “a carrot in the shape of a hand”. Well I kept on thinking about that and wondered what could possibly result fr
Teresa
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Teresa by: Kris
I admire writers who can write such deceptively simple sentences and with no exposition make everything clear that they want to be clear. Ogawa, at least with these stories, is one of those writers; yet she doesn't want everything to be clear, another thing I admire. I especially loved her subtle, wicked sense of humor, even about herself, or at least about writers.

Each story from the first to the last is linked either by a mysterious happening or, in some cases, what seems like the passing of a
Anish Kohli
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anish by: Horus
This is a BR. Nooooo. Not a Buddy Read. Did you notice the “is”? It’s a Buddy Review!! With the most awesome Sillyhead and it was her idea too! She’s pretty great dumb like that!! We read the book like a month apart but we are posting our reviews together today. In a way I am glad we’re starting both our booky years in this fashion. May there be several more such reviews and reads together!

Here goes the review:

You know what’s so wonderful about being here on GR? I mean, I know there are like a
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature, japan
If I were rating this against the other Ogawa books I've read then I'd probably go lower with the stars, but as a standalone it is no more and no less than meh, fine by me. It is just fine, a "woo" without an exclamation point. A straight-faced, monotone "woo" probably accompanied by a lethargic blink and some dried up streamlets of slobber. Seriously, it is totally just fine.

The thing with Ogawa that I love is the way she renders a scene. She's makes these little minimalist snapshots in these m
Jr Bacdayan
This is a fascinating collection that weaves together the lives of broken people unable to cope with lingering memories and pains. United by a sense of commonality in the quest of gaining triumph against their personal devils, the stories move hauntingly, enveloped with an off-kilter atmosphere, told with a chilling precision often eerie. There is even a dreadful sense of self-awareness in the collection when one story would be read or alluded to in another. Ogawa also manages to playfully inser ...more
Rachel
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Revenge is a gentle and unsettling collection of interconnected short stories focused mainly on death and grief and an inner darkness that plagues its eleven different narrators. Both melancholy and macabre in tone, these stories range from heart-wrenching to disturbing, each narrated in an eerily calm and poised tone. This was absolutely engrossing and I'm keen to check out more of Yoko Ogawa's work.
Hadrian
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A short collection of intertwined stories. Ogawa has a sparse style which creates the first impression of an ordinary banal existence, but she also has this subtle way of making each story grow more unsettling. Ogawa is not the type of horror author who parades blood and guts, but they have a creeping unknowable mystery about their stories.
Yamna Rashid
Favourite of the year

Have you ever read a story and realized that it has the power to completely restructure your thoughts?
If only I had words to describe Revenge. But for the first time in a long, long while, I’ve realized I am speechless .

This book…where do I even start?

I’m buying them for my son. Today is his birthday.”
“Really? Well, I hope it’s a happy one. How old is he?”
“Six. He’ll always be six. He’s dead.”"

Before I delve into the review, allow me to give a shout out to ViratKaB
Iophil
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C'è un'idea, di primo acchito imbarazzante per uno scrittore, che Jorge Luis Borges ha trasformato in una possibilità davvero affascinante: il pensiero per cui, qualunque opera stesse per scrivere, fosse già stata scritta da qualcun altro.

È su questo interessante assunto, illustratoci dalla Ogawa nella sua postfazione, che si basa questa antologia di racconti: la scrittura non tanto come attività ex novo, quanto come riscoperta e rielaborazione di archetipi e sensazioni primigeni.
Elementi paradi
Trudie
This book was suggested to me by my wonderful local bookshop lady and she certainly pushed me in a direction I don't normally go, namely translated short stories.
Ogawa starts most of these tales very matter-of-factly, calm sensory descriptions, leaves fluttering, people reading or going about their daily activities but something always feels slightly eerie and it is hard to put your finger on what. Eventually, the weirdness escalates in utterly unpredictable ways. The things that happen are odd
Konstantin
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japanese
The prose was unremarkable, as were the plot and characters, but there was an icy current running under her words, and I found myself wanting to plunge into it again and again.

The author could have easily been describing her own book with the quote above.

I loved how everything came together in the tenth story - all the various settings, characters and stories. The style is slightly disquieting, but nonetheless Ogawa immaculately controlled it. All of the shared elements were smoothly conveyed
Michael
An aspiring writer moves into a new apartment and discovers that her landlady has murdered her husband. Years later, the writer’s stepson reflects upon his stepmother and the strange stories she used to tell him. Yoko Ogawa weaves together a collection of short stories to create a haunting tapestry of death.

While this is a collection of short stories, Yoko Ogawa has managed to link each story with the last with recurring images and motifs. Apparently this is an old tradition from classical Japan
Nancy Oakes
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japanese-fiction
Seriously I have never in my life felt so off kilter during and after reading a book as I did with this one. It is truly a masterpiece of darkness like I've never seen before. You can read my discussion of this book here. My advice: go get a copy now.

Eℓℓis ♥
Valutazione per singolo racconto.

Pomeriggio in pasticceria ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Succo di frutta ⭐⭐⭐ 1/2
La vecchia J ⭐⭐⭐
Sandmännchen ⭐⭐⭐
Il camice ⭐⭐⭐ 1/2
La prova del cuore ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Benvenuti al museo della tortura ⭐⭐⭐
Il venditore di busti ⭐⭐⭐⭐
L'ora estrema della tigre del Bengala ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Pomodori e luna piena ⭐⭐⭐
Piante velenose ⭐⭐⭐ 1/2
Didi
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like Japanese Lit and creepy books
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Ogawa never ceases to amaze me with her capacity to tell an interesting story. This is a collection of short stories that are linked. Each one has a bit of creepy in it. The way they link together is genius. I can't wait to read more of her novels. Ogawa is making me curious to check out more modern Japanese authors. Definitely worth the time and it's a very quick read since it's only 162 pages.
Diane S ☔
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This grouping of clever and gracefully written stories, I really enjoyed. It was fantastic how the author weaved something from one of the stories into another, it was almost like receiving a King cake at Mardi Gras, and discovering the prize. Some were about revenge but others were just deliciously creepy. I think these were some of my favorites so far.
Viv JM
I think the adjective I would use to describe these interlinked short stories is "unsettling". Dark and odd, with beautifully sparse prose, these stories really got under my skin.
Dhanaraj Rajan
The Beginning:

On the back cover of the book I found this blurb (an extract from Washington Post Review). Usually I do not depend much upon the blurbs stated on the covers of the books. But after reading this collection of short stories I could not but depend on this blurb which I think captures the sentiments very rightly.

Here is the blurb:

"...Ogawa writes stories that float free of any specific culture, anchoring themselves instead in the landscape of the mind."

The phrase 'Landscape of the mind
โตมร ศุขปรีชา
1. สำหรับผม Revenge ของ Yoko Ozawa (พิมพโดยสำนักพิมพไจไจbooks) เปนหนังสือทีตลกมาก

2. ตลกในทีนีไมใชขำกากนะครับ แตเปนอารมณขันของ 'นักทรมาน' ทีทรมานคนอานไปเรือยๆ ทีละนิดๆ เวลาอานนีเหนรอยยิมของคนเขียนเลยวาฉันวางหมากตรงนีไว พวกแกจะตองทรมาน ทรมาน และทรมาน อานแลวเลยขำมาก

3. ทีจริงอารมณขันของผูเขียนฉูดฉาดมากนะครับ เลนกับอะไรตอมิอะไรหลายอยางทีมันดูจริงจังมากๆ เรืองหนึงทีคนเขียนเอามาลอเลนสุดๆ อานแลวตลกมาก กคือการลอเลนกับความตาย คือเดียวกมีไอโนนตายไอนีตาย คือทำใหเหนวาความตายมันฉูดฉาดและตัดกับชีวิตมาก

4. อันท
Katie Lumsden
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Absolutely fantastic. A wonderful collection of interconnected short stories, startling brilliant narratives weaved subtly together. The writing is smooth and well-done throughout, and for a collection full of murder, revenge and dark, unsettling themes, it manages to be surprisingly poignant and moving as well. Absolutely worth a read!
Jason
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5. it deserves a re-read since the frail, gentle connections between the stories were overshadowed by the more overt, forced ones. Simple in prose and calm and succinct in writing style....succulent. did you ever notice the pipe in the mouth of the man, forefront, second to the far right, black top hat in Bal au moulin de la Galette, Montmartr? No? Look again...

But surely you noticed the two lovers dancing, stolen in a moment, rather large negative space between them and others.... eyes forwar
Laysee
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laysee by: Marita
Revenge: Eleven Dark Tales by Yoko Ogawa is a collection of delectably disturbing stories. I read one or two stories at a time like a wickedly good dessert.

The prose is clean and simple. The characters in the stories are unremarkable people who have their fair share of disappointments and heartaches in life. The eleven stories feature spurned lovers, spouses left in the cold, abandoned or dead children. Each story picks up an innocuous detail in a previous story (e.g., a proprietor of a cake sho
Gerry O'Malley
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Horror fans and fans of short stories.
I'm not sure why the English language version of this short-story collection was re-titled REVENGE. None of the stories have anything to do with that which is best served cold. The Japanese title is KAMOKU NA SHIGAI, MIDARA NA TOMURAI, which roughly translated means "A Quiet Corpse, An Erotic Funeral", which is a much better description of this exquisitely creepy collection of moody and dark, interconnected little stories. Yoko Ogawa can do in 11 pages what Stephen King does in 50 - make that in ...more
Farzane
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
زمانی دوستی داشتم که نامزدش با او به هم زده بود، فقط چون از کتی که دوستم خریده بود، خوشش نیامده بود. کت کشمیر قشنگی بود، اما معلوم نشد چرا وقتی نامزد دوستم آن کت را تن دوستم دیده از او بدش آمده. لااقل خودش که همین را به دوستم گفته بود. دوستم هم کت را تکهتکه کرد. رویش بنزین فندک ریخت و آتشش زد، اما نامزدش دیگر برنگشت.
یکی دیگر از دوستانم فقط به خاطر این که توی رختخواب قطره توی چشمش ریخته بود، نامزدش را از دست داد. یک قطره ی معمولی بود، اما نامزدش به او گفته بود تحمل دیدن این صحنه را ندارد. خیلی عج
Zak
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I'm not sure how to rate or review this book. It's like one of those obscure art house films that you're so engrossed in while watching, but once the movie is over, you're not quite sure if you really understood it the way it was meant to be understood. It's supposed to be eleven short tales but they are connected and seem more like chapters of a larger story.

After a while, you realise that although the backdrops and characters are different, the stories seem to share some common elements...thi
Jokoloyo
Jun 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
I have read earlier reviews, and I already expected loosely linked short stories when I was reading this book. But still, with all the mental preparations, I didn't see the beauty of this book.

Some of the stories had no plot: they were discussing some background stories, than the stories finished. one or two stories are decent, (view spoiler), but in average I could not give good rating. Maybe 1.3-1.5 star in average, but not 2
Thanakharn Juntima
ภายในตัวเราทุกคนลวนมีหลุมดำซอนอยู ชัวชีวิตบางคนอาจไมเคยหามันพบ นับเปนโชค... ทวาเมือคุณอานหนังสือเลมนี ผมคิดวาโชคของคุณหมดลงแลว ...more
Play Book Tag: Revenge by Ogawa - 4 stars 2 21 Oct 03, 2017 07:26AM
Play Book Tag: Revenge - Yoko Ogawa 4/5 8 30 Dec 12, 2016 12:52PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add translator to this book 9 25 Aug 18, 2016 03:26AM
  • Toddler-Hunting & Other Stories
  • Tales of Moonlight and Rain
  • Blue Bamboo: Japanese Tales of Fantasy
  • We, the Children of Cats
  • Villain
Yōko Ogawa (小川 洋子) was born in Okayama, Okayama Prefecture, graduated from Waseda University, and lives in Ashiya. Since 1988, she has published more than twenty works of fiction and nonfiction. Her novel The Professor and his Beloved Equation has been made into a movie. In 2006 she co-authored „An Introduction to the World's Most Elegant Mathematics“ with Masahiko Fujiwara, a mathematician, as a ...more
“For a torture to be effective, the pain has to be spread out; it has to come at regular intervals, with no end in sight. The water falls , drop after drop after drop, like the second hand of a watch, carving up time. The shock of each individual drop is insignificant, but the sensation is impossible to ignore. At first, one might manage to think about other things, but after five hours, after ten hours, it becomes unendurable. The repeated stimulation excites the nerves to a point where they literally explode, and every sensation in the body is absorbed into that one spot on the forehead---indeed, you come to feel that you are nothing but a forehead, into which a fine needle is being forced millimeter by millimeter. You can’t sleep or even speak, hypnotized by a suffering that is greater than any mere pain. In general, the victim goes mad before a day has passed.” 12 likes
“When I’m curled up in his arms like this, I can never tell how my body looks to him. I worry that I seem completely ridiculous, but I have the ability to squeeze into any little space he leaves for me. I fold my legs until they take up almost no room at all, and curl in my shoulders until they’re practically dislocated. Like a mummy in a tomb. And when I get like this, I don’t care if I never get out; or maybe that’s exactly what I hope will happen.” 6 likes