Start by marking “The Handbuilt Home: 34 Simple Stylish and Budget-Friendly Woodworking Projects for Every Room” as Want to Read:

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  401 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Create a Beautiful, Modern Home with One-of-a-Kind DIY Furniture
Beds, organizers, Adirondack chairs, a play table, and more! It's easy to build inexpensive, quality furnishings with this indispensible collection of woodworking projects from Ana White, the popular blogger who has inspired millions of homemakers with her stylish furniture plans and DIY spirit. As a young mom
Published October 9th 2012 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about The Handbuilt Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Handbuilt Home

Megan
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If you're already familiar with her website and plans there, you probably don't need this book. I saw it at the library and had to check it out just because it said "Ana White" on it. The information on her site is how I got into building furniture. So far, we've built three desks, a bed, a couch, storage shelves for the basement, raised garden boxes...not all of those were directly from her plans, but they all happened because of the experience garnered making her easily-laid-out-projects. It's ...more
Sarah Eiseman
Originally posted on Sarahsbookshelf.com:

My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a home where I will (hopefully) have a place to build stuff. One of the projects that I had toyed around with building was a table for the dining room. What I found online turned out to be a goldmine of information. The author of this book, Ana White, is the creator of an incredible DIY resource. Her blog champions viewers to try her plans to create their own furniture, then post “brag” posts about their c
Rachel
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
I am not at all skilled at building things for my house but I'd like to be. This book starts out with a fairly extensive section about tools and basic techniques, I find that lots of books of this type skip over this assuming that you already have some idea what you're doing so I really appreciated finding it here. The rest of the book is broken down into sections based on what room of the house you would expect to find the finished projects in. Each project has a rating for suggested skill leve ...more
Sylvia
I'd never built anything before, and I followed the instructions in this book to make the hutch. The instructions were clear and easy to follow; not intimidating at all! I couldn't really do it entirely by myself because I didn't buy the pocket-hole jig that she so highly recommends (it was $40, which included a little starter set of screws, but refill pocket-hole screws are more expensive than regular screws. I don't really see myself building a ton of furniture anytime soon)

The subtitle for th
Trish
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013, design
Non-Fiction; Home Improvement
5 stars

I love Ana's blog and patterns so much. She has a unique way of empowering woman to create/build things to enhance and beautifully decorate our homes.

The Handbuilt Home includes woodworking tips, patterns and step by step instructions for all kinds of great pieces. Each project has a guide to let you know the skill level, cost and approximate time investment to make it. The projects contain a bit of rustic flair that would be a great addition to most decorati
Rachel
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diy
I follow Ana'a blog so of course when a book came out, I had to run out and get a copy! Absolutely amazing. I feel like I can build anything. I haven't built anything out of the book yet, but I'm currently working on building the Simple Outdoor Table and Benches before moving on to Farmhouse Table for my dining room.

Ana's instructions are easy to follow so that even a novice woodworker, like myself, can create beautiful furniture.
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Ana White is very talented and inspirational! One of my favorite features was that she included other women that Have made the projects themselves. She starts the book with simple explanations and instructions and the projects get progressively more complicated as the book goes on. She does have many more projects online but I loved seeing plans in a book format. I can't wait to try a few projects!
Linda
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts
Been wanting to try some DIY projects and learn how to make furniture pieces for the home. I know my Dad would love to team up with me and he has every tool ever made, so I am one step ahead. Stumbled on Ana White's blog recently and heard about her new book. Just arrived today. Love it. So inspiring and well presented. Looking forward to my first project. Once I try some projects, I will update my review on ease of instruction.
Nora
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I have followed Ana White's blog for years & have to say that she is seriously talented! She not only builds amazing furniture (& looks good doing it!), but shows others how to do the same with the plans she provides. This book has some gorgeous pieces of furniture & projects range from rank novice to experienced builder!
Emily
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, craft, building, diy, home
Read her blog, skimmed the book. Great plans for furniture pieces that you may need in your home, or may not but want to build something. Walks user through all tools and equipment needed for the builds. All layouts and designs are uniform so if you build more than one piece you will not have to learn a new set of plans.
Keegan
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, easy to follow plans and lists of tools and materials. The only bad thing I have to say about the book is not everything is explained, for example I had to youtube pocket hole joints to figure out what Ana was talking about. Other then that I am ready to start on some plans and start building!
Sage Borgmastars
Not sure why this didn't really appeal, though have to say the budget suspect seems dubious to me - keeping an eye out for second hand finds would have to be cheaper in almost all cases. I guess I also found myself wondering why I wanted to spend all that time and effort to essentially copy prevailing popular styles.
Leslie
Why, yes, I am inspired to build a craft desk and bench and a few other pieces of furniture now. Really, I have had a desire to build furniture for a few months now. With the help of my dad who has every tool I would ever need and the instruction/inspiration/encouragement from this book - I can do it!
Crystal King
Great ideas!!!

This is a wonderful book that gives very simple instructions for everyday people who Mabry haven't done a lot of woodworking previously. I would recommend this book to anyone. I can't wait to start on some of these projects when the weather breaks.
Haylee
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ana White's blog is amazing so I was excited to see she had put a book out, too. I want to remember this for when I have the tools, money, and time to make my own furniture...which is something I would love to do eventually.
Christine Lussier
Looks like some great projects for dh! Will see how they turn out.
Sara
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do like Ana White, but... there were only a couple items in here I'd ever actually take the time to make.
Patrice
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just ordered a speed square on Amazon. I can do this now. Start w forgiving wood. Now to set up my workbench #yippee
Colette
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, hobbies, 2012
These plans are so easy to follow, and there are some great ideas. I've had this book for about three weeks and I'm already happy with what I've built.
Amy
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had lots of great practical ideas to build for the home. The instructions seemed clear and easy to follow as well.
Alyssa
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A really great step-by-step guide to building your own furniture. Great pictures and very clear instructions. The plans are very clearly marked for experience, cost, and time to complete.
Meleofa
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed most of the book but I can't wait to try building something from it.
Diana
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, home-diy
This made me feel like I really can and should build some furniture myself. I have big plans to actually try it myself now!
Jemma Z
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked a lot of the projects, they were straightforward and well-explained.
Paula
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've followed her blog/ website and was excited about the new book! I love it so far and have so many projects planned.
Trish
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-decore, 2013
This is a cool book. I like that it has items that people will actually want to use. I like that it has a price rating and a skill rating.
Tracy
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book provides detailed instructions for building your own furniture. I was hoping for something that allowed me to repurpose/reuse other materials, so it doesn't suit my needs for right now.
Lisa
Attractive book; I can't really rate this as I haven't been able to tackle any of the projects, but I was impressed by how nicely made many of them looked (not tacky or too amateur-looking).
Rachel Willis
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While not every project will satisfy every taste, this is a book of great, practical ideas for furniture that is functional and useful. This is a great book full of great ideas.
  • Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update  Show Your Home Some Love
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse: Remake, Restyle, Recycle, Renew
  • I Brake for Yard Sales: High Style - Low Budget
  • Furniture Makeovers: Simple Techniques for Transforming Furniture with Paint, Stains, Paper, Stencils, and More
  • Improv Sewing: A Freeform Approach to Creative Techniques; 101 Fast, Fun, and Fearless Projects: Dresses, Tunics, Scarves, Skirts, Accessories, Pillows, Curtains, and More
  • Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design
  • Mend It Better: Creative Patching, Darning, and Stitching
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby: 20 Easy Projects for Newborns to Toddlers
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small, Cool Spaces
  • Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love
  • Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy
  • The Solar House: Passive Solar Heating and Cooling
  • Chicken Coops: 45 Building Ideas for Housing Your Flock
  • I Spy DIY Style: Find Fashion You Love and Do It Yourself
  • A Passion for Narrative: A Guide to Writing Fiction
  • Upcycling: Create Beautiful Things with the Stuff You Already Have
“These tools are an investment, and what you make with them can potentially save you thousands of dollars in home furnishings, gifts, and other home improvement or DIY tasks. These tools will pay for themselves, sometimes even in just a single project.” 0 likes