Start by marking “The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery #5)

The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery #5)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,136 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Chocolate-shop manager Lee McKinney has had enough of party planner Julie Singletree's cutesy e-mails. Then somebody actually kills the woman, putting everyone on her mailing list on edge. As their connections to the murder emerge, so do more attacks. Lee smells a rat-and it's not made of chocolate.

And if she doesn't want to be permanently deleted, it's up to her to trap i
Published September 1st 2005 by Signet Book (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Mouse Trap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Mouse Trap

Dolly
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
From the moment I started reading this book, I was sure that I had read it before, most likely three to five years ago. I couldn't remember the whole story, but it was all very familiar. And since I couldn't remember whodunit, I figured I'd go ahead and read it again. It was a decent bit of brain candy, but I am making sure that I log this one and give away my book. It's not destined for a third go around!

new word: porte cochere
Kristen
If you love culinary cozies, you'll love this one. Lee McKinney works at her family's chocolate shop. When she discovered that someone killed Julie Singletree, a member of her Seventh Food Group online group, she becomes intrigued by Julie's secrets and her family. A little too close for comfort, someone's targeting her friends and stealing their computers. And before she knows it, she's next on the list, while planning her second marriage. Great suspense.
Cameron
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book didn't move along as well as the previous in the series and I just didn't enjoy it quite as much. I expect to try the next one and depending on how it pans out, it may be the last.

That being said. I do like these characters a lot. They are funny and quirky and just what one might expect to find in a small quiet town that is mostly resort. I certainly recommend giving the series a try if you haven't already.
Tanis
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love these chocolate mysteries. This one was satisfyingly creepy as far as wondering who the murderer was. JoAnna Carl never fails to disappoint with one or two exciting chase scenes in her stories. I love her main character, Lee McKinney. She's the blond bombshell with a backbone of steel.
Doris
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting.
From other reviews, it is obvious that what appeals to me are books that I don't know the answer halfway through laying out the puzzle. This was one of those! Truly a good book (and its about chocolate!)
Kim
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This installment provided the details of making true iced tea. Now that's yummy to me!!!
Allison
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2015
Thoughts to come.
Anna
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you like chocolate?? Once you read this you will. Comes with chocolate trivia and some facts about chocolate. Looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.
Rosie
Sep 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait for the next one to come out! I could read these cozies over and over again.
Noreen
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun quick mystery that includes chocolate. What's not to like? I would definitely recommend this book.
Jean Kovats
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the ending trap was predictable.
Susan
The Chocolate Mouse Trap by JoAnna Carl is the 5th book of the Chocoholic Mystery series set in contemporary western Michigan. Lee McKinney has a dream job - she works as the manager of TenHuis Chocolade, the chocolate shop owned by her Aunt Nettie. She has flexible work hours, great friendships with the small lakeside resort town's shop owners, and is engaged to be married to Joe. It's early February, and although it's the slow season for tourism, the shop is gearing up for the annual Valentine ...more
Tabby Kat
Lee McKinney has recently joined the Seventh Major Food Group. No, the FDA hasn't added another level to the pyramid; it's a group of local merchants who are involved in fancy food and parties. Organized by Julie Singletree, a woman trying to get a party planning business going, the group exchanges tips via e-mail. Julie also uses their e-mail list to forward inspirational messages several times a day. Lee has had enough of the spam when the news breaks - Julie has been murdered and her computer ...more
Connie
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lee McKinney once again finds herself somehow mixed up with a murder. When a business associate that is part of an seven member e-mailing group of others business associates, is found strangled and then the groups computers start having problems and some members of the group are vandalized, including Lee's best friend Lindy. Lee quickly discovers that she needs to find out what is really going on before anyone else or even herself, may end up at the bottom of Michigan lake. As usual this series ...more
Luffy
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have little to say about The Chocolate Mouse Trap. It's slightly better than the last book in the series but not as good as the first two. The title no longer bears on the actual case. Chocolate is not one of the active actors of the mystery. The romance between Joe and Lee has bloomed. They are planning their wedding, which means - and there is a clue to that as well - they are having sex at last. I must say that the murderer's intent is hazy. He seems to commit murders in panic attacks, yet ...more
Dawn Michelle

Date read~August 9, 2010
3 1/2 Stars

Good read. I am really starting to enjoy this series! And all the Choco facts and trivia!! Makes me want to eat chocolate (AND have a REALLY good cup of coffee to go with it) ALL. DAY. LONG.

Lee and Co. get themselves into a heap of trouble this time. No matter HOW hard they (honestly) TRY and stay away. But as computers are hacked into, and people (including Lee's BFF Lindy) are attacked (and well, murdered), it will take every ounce of Lee's "nosiness" to s
Jodi
May 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than the first one I read. Lee McKinney hated all the cheery inspirational messages sent by acquaintance Julie Schrader but she didn't hate them enough to kill her. Someone, however, did. Lee was on a distribution list called the Seventh Major Food Group that Julie created. After Julie's murder, strange things start happening to the group, including death and Lee is right in the center. the book was published in 2005 which meant it was written in 2004 so I had a hard tim ...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Chrystyna
The Chocolate Mousetrap by Joanna Carl - OK

There are lots of this type of book around these days: cosy mysteries set in coffee shops, and cookie shops and cupcake shops and, in this case, a chocolate manufacturer/shop.

A lighthearted piece of nonsense that is perfect to while away a few hours without having to think too much. There are no surprises here, the clues are obvious, as is the murderer, but that doesn't matter too much unless you are looking for deep thinking literature with plot twists
Jenn
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all had those people, back when email first became more common, who would not stop sending silly joke emails or inspirational drivel. But does anyone really still do that? Evidently they do for this author. I really just didn't understand what the big issue was with it. I mean, how hard is it to just hit the delete key? Or filter all this group's email to another folder so it doesn't bog down your business email? Whatever.

This one was okay. I'm enjoying this series, but I don't love it. Also,
Karen
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is so fun! I live along the lakeshore of Lake Michigan, so the fictional town in this story-- nestled in between Holland and Saugatuck feels like home to me! Fun characters and story line-- perfect for a light-hearted mystery! This is the 5th book in the series, so I feel as if I know the characters much better-- I'm loving Joe and Lee's relationship progress. :)

Also, of the 5 of these I've read, this one's mystery was truly a mystery for me, as I didn't figure out who did it until
Annthelibrarian
Two acquaintances of Lee McKinney are murdered in the small resort town of Warner Pier, Michigan. Lee and the other members of the informal group, “The Seventh Major Food Group,” a group of local entrepreneurs all connected to the food industry, are all possible targets as well as suspects. A mystery which is more medium-boiled than cozy, with an interesting resort town setting and lots of chocolate related trivia.
Karen Hufman
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lee helps her aunt at the TenHuis chocolate shop in Michigan. She gets involved in an email group of various people involved in the service industry when one of them is killed. Some things occur that make Lee think it was more than just a random act of burglary gone wrong. I actually like Lee, her fiance (he's a nice guy who totally understands her nosiness), her aunt and the various other characters who probably show up in all her books. It was a cute book for this type of genre.
Bonnie
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book, and its been awhile since I have read a book by Joanna Carl, but I always enjoy them when do. They are nice cozy mysteries, and they nice easy quick reads really. And love the talk of chocolate had me drooling for some.

Always enjoy the characters and think that Joanna Carl is a really good author, and she brings all her characters to life, and develops them all so well.

I gave the book an A or 4 stars.
Sheri
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished on my Christmas vacation. Was not as interesting as some other culinary mystery series I have read and just Chocolate sayings no recipes. It was set in the cold northern U.S. states and didn't
really grab me. I stayed through to the end but I wouldn't recommend this one for those who read mysteries with culinary themes or who look for recipes.
Melanie
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read romances, I read fluffy, fun, not graphically violent mysteries. This is a fun series. I practically get endorphin highs just reading about the chocolates the shop makes, as well as reading the chocolate facts. The sleuth, Lee, isn't too girly or too independent. The stories have twists. All I need for a lazy afternoon.
ChrisGA
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly young event planner is murdered and Lee, of course, wants to find out who did it. Then it appears someone is targeting the members of Lee’s internet group of foodies as burglaries, assaults, computer viruses and more murder make it dangerous to be part of that group. Lots of uncertainty and suspense in this one.
Donna
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute read and a fun mystery. Loved the Michigan references, the scattered chocolate tidbits, and that I couldn't guess the ending half way through. A great beach read - fun and full of fluff.
Theresa Malloy
In this chocoholic mystery, Lee McKinney's email group comes into trouble when one member turns up dead. Soon others fall and Lee starts to investigate before she and her friends are next. It was a quick read.
Shannon
May 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I think Joanna Carl is starting to get a little bored with the series, as this one doesn't have the same appeal for a light-hearted mystery that the others do. I enjoyed some of the earlier ones more.
  • Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Arsenic and Old Cake (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #3)
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
  • Murder Most Frothy (Coffeehouse Mystery, #4)
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • Murder Has a Sweet Tooth (A Cooking Class Mystery, #5)
  • Evil in Carnations (A Flower Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as
More about JoAnna Carl...

A Chocoholic Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery, #4)
  • The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)
  • The Chocolate Jewel Case (A Chocoholic Mystery, #7)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)
  • The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery, #11)