Start by marking “Delusion in Death (In Death, #35)” as Want to Read:
Delusion in Death (In Death, #35)

Delusion in Death

(In Death #35)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  20,589 ratings  ·  1,286 reviews
'What would cause someone to want so many people, surely many of them strangers, to slaughter each other?'

The scene that greets Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her team one terrible evening in New York is more shocking than any of them have ever witnessed. A usually comfortable downtown bar is strewn with bodies - office workers who have been sliced, bludgeoned or hacked to
Trade Paperback, 388 pages
Published September 11th 2012 by Piatkus Books (first published September 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Delusion in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delusion in Death

·  20,589 ratings  ·  1,286 reviews

Start your review of Delusion in Death (In Death, #35)
Phrynne
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
An awful lot of people die in this one in a particularly gory fashion, but as usual Eve and her team are in top form to catch the bad guys and lock them up for good.

I just give these books all five stars at random now because I enjoy them so much. The characters are like friends, the stories just breeze along and the humorous interludes are genuinely funny. This is my second read through of the whole series and I am still as entertained as I was the first time round.

I suppose one day Robb will
April
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe after so many books I'm still waiting at the edge of my seat for another story. I reluctantly read Naked in Death about a year ago and have since read every single book in the series. I love Eve and Roarke and can not wait to hear more about them and the rest of their mysteries.

Amazing as usual
Ren Puspita
As long Roarke and Eve still there, I'm in!! ( of course others like McNab, Peabody, Nadine, Feeney, Mavis, Leonardo, Trueheart, Baxter, Dr Mira, ahhh, all of them!)
And many, many monkey sex between them ;) (yes, a girl can dream)
Hulya Kara Yuksel
“She woke to the scent of coffee, and wondered if that was how mornings in heaven smelled.”

*sigh* Roarke, he is just so perfect. He always thinks her darling Eve first... :) I want a husband just like him!!!! :D Oh dammit, I'm already married but I can still dream, right? :P

Anyway #book35 and it was just so good. :) Normally I'm not a big fan of Mystery / Crime books but this series made me to change my mind about that. ;)

Long story short, Eve & Roarke are the best couple that I've ever
Jilly
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The deaths in this book were caused by chemical weapons, and it was a bloodbath. I'm pro-bloodbaths in books. When only one or two people die, it can get boring. Plus, I hear that bloodbaths are really great for your skin.

Oh, maybe that was a MUD bath that is good for you. These guys look fabulous!

So, I enjoyed the unraveling of the mystery in this one, but my favorite thing in these books is the interaction between the characters. Unfortunately, we had very little McNab. But, there was a great
Mo
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seemed to take me forever to read this. Family situation and travel meant I could not get in any reading time.

I kinda hate when it takes me forever to read a book as I sort of lose track of what happened earlier!!

"Bloody fucking hell."

"I want to keep you, till the end of days."

Bit knackered so this will be short and sweet.

Some lovely moments between Dallas and Peabody. x
Jen
Another fantastic read by JD Robb! I always love catching up with the gang... and especially Eve and Roarke! Not only do they have great sexual chemistry; they also have such a close bond emotionally too! I love how they get each other, and are able to be witty with one another as well!

Considering this is the 35 Th book in the In Death series and it still keeps me highly amused... I think it’s safe to say that JD Robb is brilliant and not a lot of authors can pull off what she does in keeping
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Epic buddy reading on Wednesday with Kristina Alex and La-Lionne <3 <3

DNF
What a pity we didn't like it :(( I like the beginning but then it was so boring for me :(( I hope our next BR is better :))

Kerry
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 8, mystery, 2012
I really enjoy these books - even if I can't quite believe I'm up to number 44 in the series (if you count the short stories). I don't read them for depth or amazing plots with astonishing twists. I read them because I love the opportunity to hang out with Eve and Roarke. I generally read them quickly and find them easy, so all I have to do is sit back and enjoy myself.

I said a few reviews back that I take a lot of notes to help me remember stuff. With these, I don't. It's not about that
Dianne
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Delusion in Death – J D Robb

I think after 45 books, novellas and short stories it may be time to start another series, since this one seems to be bogged down and a caricature of what the series used to be. This book is written with the patented JD Robb formula and you cannot get away from it.
The book opens on a horrific scene of people murdering each other during a casual after work drink in a neighborhood bar—over 80 people are dead. Enter Eve and team---pan to Eves horrified demeanor and the
Alex

BR with Her Absent Highness, cutie Pavlina and lovely Kristina !! :D

OK, girls, I trust we're doing this some other time. :D For now, there are more urgent books to read!
Lady Lioness
September 2013: Okay, so it turns out this is the book you should re-read before Thankless in Death. And Nadine/Kyung hasn't happened yet, but I still live in hope.

Man, this one grabbed me. The method of the murders is freaking scary, and I'm sorta surprised they decided to release it on 9/11. I think Robb did a great job of capturing that imminent tension that existed here during that time period, that sort of terrifying anticipation for something you hope will never come.

This book focused
♥Sharon♥
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

This was bound to happen. While my LOVE for Eve, Roarke and the rest of the team is unwavering, I just didn't love the theme of this one. For me it was missing something. I'm just not sure what.

What I did love was the Eve and Roarke moments that I look forward to, the scenes with Dr. Mira and Eve was touching and there was a moment with Peabody that just warmed my heart. We even get moments with Eve and Summerset that were actually amiable. Crazy right!

I was just bummed that the
Ann Lou
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have a bloodbath in this installment. Multiple bodies. A chemical weapon was used airborne that can cause someone to hallucinate with strong and violent reactions. The killer has no respect fo humanity. Another sick fuck killing one hundred and twenty seven people. Who does that?

As a murder cop for more than a decade Eve thought she had seen it all. It was one of the most terrible and horrible crimes in this installment.

"Kicking ass is your drug of choice."

"If you cheated on me, I wouldn't
Alex ♈
Brilliant storyline. Horrible crime. Excellent suspense.

BEST. HEROINE. EVER.

Eve - you are the strongest and bravest bitch ever!

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
I originally rated this one 4 stars but after rereading it, I'm changing it to 5 stars. The character relationships take some giant steps in this book. Eve & Summerset are especially touching, as they seem to come to a new understanding & exhibit a mutual respect for one another. I really loved their scenes. Eve & Mira as Dr. Mira continues mothering Eve, guiding her through the aftereffects of the nightmare that haunts her from Dallas. Eve & Peabody - one of my favorites...loved ...more
Mei
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

And here we have a deranged killer who is ready to kill more than 100 people for "promotion"???
La-Lionne
BR with Alex (a.k.a The Queen of Welcome Home Committee), lovely Pavlina and wonderful kristina
description
Let's try not to become delusional, girls :-S

Added 30.06.2013:

I'm not gonna rate this one, because I got only to 20%. Could not finished. I don't get what all the fuss is about. First 3% was okay, but after that, there were just one boring conversation between investigators after another. Barely got to 20%.
Everytime new character was added to the story they got to hear the same description of what
Diane
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A twisted terrorist - a different spin on killers this time around. I liked this one because it was different from your regular serial killer-bad guy. The detecting work to narrow it down to who done it was enjoying to read and try to figure out. This was my second read, but I couldn't remember who the killer was until later.

I loved the banter - loved that Eve wore Peabody's pink cowboy boots! Some classic lines - don't forget the cannolis! When Eve was on the link to Roarke promising lots of
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Cover: Okay
Rating: NC-17
Steaminess Hotter
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: A solid series sequel but nothing that rocks my socks off.
Characters: Well done
Plot: A good mystery that had me second guessing my choices as who “done” it.
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Absolutely
Book Boyfriend: Roarke

SUMMARY (50 words or less)

Eve is back doing her thing as usual. I liked that Roarke was there but not there made it more realistic. The case was really interesting and although I picked the
Kathy Davie
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty-sixth in the In Death romantic suspense series revolving around Eve Dallas and Roarke in a futuristic New York City.

My Take
Eve and Roarke are getting comfortable with each other and Eve is actually starting to get comfy with Summerset!!! In some respects. In others, Robb may be setting us up for issues. The disappointing aspect of this story was it being almost all police work with a few short bursts of personal time for Eve and Roarke. Not too much working out in the home gym, although
Mara
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was a really good one-- I particularly loved the character moments between Peabody & Dallas in this one, and the mystery moved at a nice pace.
xrysa
DNF at 24%
It started really good but then it confused me a lot!So many details and names :-( I got lost . . .

BR with Pavlina , La-Lionne and Alex :D
Lauren
Delusion in Death
5 Stars

Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her team investigate one of their strangest cases when a room full of people suddenly turns violent. Friends and strangers alike attack each other in a frenzy using any weapon at hand. When the chaos lifts, 80 people are dead and several more are hospitalized. What caused it and will it happen again?

A gripping plot and excellent character development, especially for Summerset and Eve.

The case is rather straightforward but scary in its intensity
Anastasia
Delusion in Death by J.D.Robb is the 35th book in the In Death series. Eve is called to a bar with multiple deaths where it appears a drug has caused people to become delusional and attack each other. Another fabulous book in the series with Somerset taking some part in the investigation due to links to previous terrorism and a surprising twist at the end. All the usual chemistry is there and Eve finally and reluctantly starts to accept some help to deal with her past. Page turningly addictive.
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Aug) Spending time with Eve and Roarke always puts my in my happy place! This was a good edition to the series, although many of my favorite characters were missing or mostly just sidelined - we didn't even have that much Peabody or McNabb, and just a quick glimpse of Mavis and Bella (so cute!). This was not a book that moved the series along all that much, but the bit that it did worked well for Eve.

Still having issues after what went down in Dallas (by the time there are 35 books in a
⚜️Trea
I was quite surprised by this installment! A lot happens in this to keep the series interesting. Eve finally starts fully dealing with the events of New York to Dallas, and the forms that process takes is rather interesting! The villain of the piece was just amazing, and the mystery/suspense aspect kept me on the edge of my seat! Definitely a worthy addition to the series!
Somia
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The start of this hooked me, a vicious bloodbath occurs in a nightclub, leading to a slew of deaths and those who are badly injured remember seeing monsters and other things there is no evidence of. Someone is playing with chemical weapons. So, it’s up to Eve, Roarke (who of course owns the club), Peabody and the rest of the team to uncover what happened and who is responsible before mayhem and panic ensues.

Again, fab interactions between Eve and Roarke, as well as Eve and Peabody. Roarke
Kirsten #endgunviolence
Yay! Another In Death novel is out. Funnily enough, this new Eve Dallas/Roarke mystery which included a terrorism storyline was released on 9/11. Coincidence? I don't think so. As Fox Mulder once said, "If coincidences are just coincidences, why do they feel so contrived?"

This was one of her best stories. The romance and love story was very subtextual in this one. The main storyline really took center stage. Of course, I always love these. I read them over and over. I also read them immediately
Kavita Kumar-Karthik
Re-reading the entire series !!

This one had an abso-mag plot! Yeah, I am going to be using Mavis's and Peabody's language.. I thoroughly enjoyed the investigation and the all-women unit bringing down the unsub. Someday, I would really like to brainstorm Laura's brain and understand how she comes up with such unique plots. And if perfect plots were not enough, she has perfect characters too. That Eve and Roarke are the ult, is no doubt !! I totally ship them.. But add in Summerset, Peabody,
J.D. Robb : Delusion in Death Buddy Read - August 2019 22 22 Aug 22, 2019 11:51PM
Delusion 1 8 Mar 30, 2016 07:13PM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Delusion In Death (July 2015) - Spoiler Zone 83 33 Jul 21, 2015 11:14AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Delusion in Death by J.D. Robb 1 5 Mar 30, 2015 07:26AM

• The Witness
  • Shelter in Place
  • Sanctuary
  • The Search
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
  • Rogue Souls: A Limited Edition Reverse Harem Anthology
  • Wicked Winters: A Limited Edition Holiday Collection
  • Royally Marooned (Royally, #1.5)
  • J D ROBB SERIES CHECKLIST - Reading Order of IN DEATH
  • Keeping Christmas (Rodeo Romance #7)
  • Her Greatest Treasure
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“I want to keep you, till the end of days.” 40 likes