Start by marking “Kmart Shoes” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
This is the true story of Lance Ward's journey in and out of high school and his fights against abusive and uncaring family members, school yard bullies, and his own sense of self-worth. With his family in poverty, Lance grew up on sardine sandwiches and cabbage soup. He wore $8 shoes and tolerated hostile classmates and the nickname Kmart Shoes. On some days, Ward battled ...more
Published October 6th 2012 by Seventh Avenue Productions

To ask other readers questions about Kmart Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kmart Shoes

Mark McGinty
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
-Introduction by Mark McGinty

Raw. In your face. Honest. Real.

This is the true story of Lance Ward’s journey and his struggle to find acceptance from both family and society. He bounced from job to job and just when he seemed to figure things out would encounter some unexpected heart-breaking setback (like the time a notebook holding years of artwork was stolen, or the time he was swindled into committing a felony, or the time he failed to slit his own wrist).

Ward’s constant movement
Laura (booksnob)
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lance Ward grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in small town Minnesota. Being poor didn't matter until the day his parents split up and his dad moved away. That is when Lance and his sister Wendy began to feel poor. They grew up eating cabbage soup and sardine sandwiches, wearing second hand clothes and dime store shoes. Lance endured teasing and his mother's abusive boyfriend as his life began to spiral out of control.

Lance and his father had a tense relationship. Lance was artistic, not at
Nikki
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I did receive the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. So thank you!! This was the first time I have ever read a comic book. So it was a bit different for me. The drawings were pretty kool to look like. I have seen better looking drawings but it wasn't terrible drawings.

There were somethings that I wished he would go into more detail about it wasn't a big deal that he did not. I did like the book though :). The way Ward wrote the book made it seem like he was there just telling you his l
Rebekah
Sep 16, 2012 marked it as to-read
I wore Kmart shoes as well.

Plain white, for 3 dollars, from the bin.
LeAnn Suchy
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, graphic-novel
This book is all about telling you every little tidbit of what this person felt growing up, but I'd rather be shown it. This is a graphic representation, so show me more graphic images. Here we mostly get close ups of someone's face with a narrator cloud above them and not much dialogue. When there was dialogue, it was so much better than the narrated text.

I think this could've been a great graphic novel had there been more graphics and had the author stuck to dialogue. When there was dialogue,
Erik Burge