Start by marking “After the Dark (Dark Angel, #3)” as Want to Read:
After the Dark (Dark Angel, #3)

After the Dark

(Dark Angel #3)

Secrets and betrayals, as the saga of Dark Angel continues!

In a chaotic world where the lines between good and evil often blur, and violent anarchy and brutal repression become commonplace, secrets can be deadly. So when Max discovers a shattering truth that Logan has kept concealed from her for years, the betrayal threatens the very essence of their trust.

Yet when Logan
Published June 3rd 2003 by Del Rey Books (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about After the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Dark

Patrick Montero
May 08, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Dark Angel Fans
Shelves: sci-fi
I know, I know, but trust me after watching the TV series, which I will defend because I think it was really good, I needed to find out what had happened, did Max and Logan ever get together? Did Col. Lydecker REALLY die? What happened after the end of the second season when the series was unceremoniously canceled? Questions, questions, questions. So there is my motive for reading this series. Despite the horrible analogies and simple writing this is a fun book to read if you were plagued by the ...more
Sep 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Austin Neaves
Jan 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
Courtney
Mar 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thank whatever heavenly body that exists that I have finally finished this abominable continuation of this show. I am done. No more. No more horrible writing. No more blonde hair shimmering neon lights while discussing a serious plot point of kidnapping. No more objectification of female bodies at the most inopportune times. I disregard this continuation entirely. What a complete and utter cock up of a tying up of loose ends. Blah.

I mentioned in my review of Skin Game that I thought Dark Angel j
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Huh, ok. So this is how it ends? I love happily ever afters just as much as the next person, but wrapping it all with a nice little bow seems uncharacteristic to the series. I wouldn't mind that comet having some kind of impact on mass populace, if only a minor one. On the other hand, this is the last book and I can understand author wanting to give fans closure. Still, I was hoping for maybe seeing Sandeman there in the end. Oh well.

The writing is still very good, all the characters captured pe
Oceana2602
This is the better of the two Dark Angel books I bought in my last fit of Dark Angel fannishness. (see my review for Skin Game http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/47... for more fannish confessions).

This one's better because it's all about Max and Logan, and, sigh, well, still a Max/Logan shipper. Not that I want them together. I want them madly in love, and then I want Max to have sex with Alec, and Logan, well, if he needs to have sex, he can have sex with Alec as well. It'd be almost like slee
Eva
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Again; simple, like the previous two, but works in a way to tie up the loose ends that were left by the television series.
The end and some of the answers feel a little rushed, but aside from that it kind of works. Though I am sure there is fan-fiction out there that will give a more satisfying end to the show.
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Only hardcore Dark Angel fans
WARNING: This review contains light spoilers. If you want to be 100% spoiler free, I suggest not reading.

Cons:
1. Bad writing. Way too many similes that don't make sense, or did but just sounded awful and weren't funny the way they were supposed to be. I think sometimes Max Allan Collins started writing but then forgot where he was going, so he just ended in a crappy simile or a bad joke. Not very good writing, to say the least.

2. Annoying plot line. Don't get me wrong; if this were some random e
Emiliano
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
A completely disappointing ending to both the trilogy of spinoff books, and the official "Dark Angel" tale as a whole. This book was completely all over the place. Its very slow to start, and once it picks up I felt like so many different plot points were being thrown at me and wrapped up sloppily with very little rhyme or reason. This feels so rushed, as if halfway through writing the book the author forgot to include some important plot points, so instead of going back and easing them in natur ...more
Jaslyn
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
In the final instalment of the Dark Angel book series, Logan is kidnapped and seemingly held for ransom but nothing is as it seems as the transgenics dig deeper into the gang who kidnapped him. Max and her crew race the clock to try and save Logan before his time is up...

The thing I liked about this last book is that there were a lot of loose ends tied up so it felt like the series had a solid ending. (view spoiler)
SaraKat
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: future, sci-fi, series
A great ending to the Dark Angel series. It neatly wraps up some parts and leaves more adventures waiting to happen. It was a page turner and I enjoyed the action sequences and the mysteries to solve. The stupid cult members being all disappointed and incredulous about the comet’s lack of effect was a bonus. Max tells them to do like other cults and just pick a new day and start over. He he he.
Nicole Barnes
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

Loved to read the continued story of dark angel. Glad that everything is great and that logan and max are cured. Great job
Becky Killy
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful

Not worth the bother. Poor writing and trite asides to wade through. The first in the series was ok. Don't know what happened...
Dominique "Eerie" Sobieska
Sep 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-owned
Bad ending....
Elina
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The books are not as well written as the series, but if you felt hungry for closure after the finale, I recommend reading all three. I did expect something grander regarding the "biblically bad" issue, but at least I did not have to imagine it myself. Max feels a bit colder in the books too, but overall the characters feel exactly the same as in the series.
Planchette
Jul 23, 2012 marked it as to-read
I started this before I realized that I skipped a book. It opens from an unexpected POV ((view spoiler)). I stopped because I can't tell where in the timeline it is, and I'd like to get #2 first. My sister read it and loved it, but she didn't think the author quite nailed Joshua. She thought it might not be the author's fault. The character's charm would be hard to convey in text. She said, at times, he sounded ...more
Giorgia
May 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Dark Angel fans - hardcore ones only
Wit
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I did not like this one so much. The ending with the Snake Cult was pretty cheesy, and the characterization was off, in my opinion.

spoilers: The whole end of the book I guess.

While it fit in with Max being the chosen one all, the whole comet/biotoxin thing was lazy. The comet plot doesn't even come to pass! You'd think with Sandeman being the super genius that could make transgenics work would have known the comet prophecy was false. That could have been the whole reason he left the cult and it
Jeff
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This has to be recommended reading for any fan of the original TV series.

The series ended at a critical point in the story's development, with major plot questions unresolved. This book resolves them.

And, in the telling of the story, Collins has stayed true to his established form in keeping the characters true to their screen presence; it was hard not to see and hear the characters as portrayed by the actors, and that has to be a compliment to any writer.

It's a shame that the networks pulled th
Zana
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, own
In which Max, the ultimate Mary Sue (superpowers, gorgeous, angsty, saves the world on a regular basis, leader of her people, weight of the world, etc...) quite literally becomes the Messiah. Oh, and gets her man. Finally.

Engaging, but not done well. This got three stars because for a minute there, I thought the author was going to kill off my favorite character, which I never would have forgiven him for -- but he didn't.

Why couldn't they have had an author who actually watched the show, write t
Alexandria Darcy
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a fun read, if only because it ties up all the loose ends of the TV series. But I have to agree with many people who have reviewed this book already - the cure for Max and Logan's virus was a total cop-out. There are better ways they could have done that. Also, with Logan being kidnapped, there is very little interaction between the two of them, and we never get to see anything from Logan's perspective. I happen to like Logan quite a bit, so his small role in this book was disappointing ...more
Shiran
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book concludes the Dark Angel series. Honestly I think they should have sucked it up and made a movie to finish it off but a book is always a great second choice :)

This is a must read for all die hard Dark Angel fans who are dying to know how the story ends. You'll find out what happens between Max and Logan and what the big "event" is that Max will stop. I really enjoyed the ending and loved the character development, as well as the humorous twist.
Annie
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ich bewerte das Buch jetzt mal super wohlwollend, obwohl es eher eine 3,5 Sterne Bewertung wäre.
Der Autor kennt die Serie offensichtlich nur am Rande und bemüht sich anfangs sehr um Slang. Bis auf den Hauptcharakter hat er seine Hausaufgaben eher nicht gemacht. Trotzdem fand ich es recht gut - bin einiges Leid von Akte X Romanen gewöhnt. In sofern bin ich noch ganz zufrieden. Mal sehen wie die anderen Bücher so sind.
Katie
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I feel complete now that a nice chunk of the mysteries swimming around my fav TV show Dark Angel has been cleared up. Though the ending was still sorta open...like more stuff could happen. Hopefully this show decides to come back in some way (like maybe a movie to wrap things up the way the books did) or a third season.

Great book. I suggest reading these books if you're a fan of the show.
Alan
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Lack of stars because I felt it was very rushed. (view spoiler) I loved the show and for it to be rushed when they had adequate space in the 3 books to finish it sufficiently is disappointing.
Natalie
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Atrocious writing. Both books were torture to get through, but I wanted to know so badly how it ended for Max, Logan and the transgenics that I stuck it out anyway. I'm still glad I read them as I now have the closure that the show didn't supply.
Adam
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
The final of the three Dark Angel novels finished off the series very well. All of the loose ends are brought to a close. If you're a fan of the show then definitely buy this and the other books. My only gripe is that there aren't any more books after this one.
Shyam
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
As with my review for Skin Game, After the Dark wasn't so bad. It tied up most of the loose ends, although some of them were rushed. My only disappointment is that it could have been so much more. But what it was, wasn't that bad.
Riz
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved the series so I had to find out how the series ended and bought this book. It keeps the spirit of the series and is fairly entertaining. Fans of the series would enjoy this. Others no so much as it requires knowledge of the dark angel universe.
Bailey
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I had to know how it ended after they rudely cancelled the show abruptly. I only suggest this book for anyone that's actually watched the show and has to have an ending, otherwise it's just a waste of time.
  • Resident Evil: Retribution - The Official Movie Novelization
  • Before the Invid Storm (Robotech, No 21)
  • Resident Evil: Extinction
  • The Burning Man (Fringe, #2)
  • X-Men 2
  • The Repossession Mambo
  • Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • Terminator Salvation: Trial by Fire
  • Belisarius II: Storm at Noontide (Belisaurius, #3-4)
  • Heroes: Volume Two
  • Retaliation (Stargate, #2)
  • Queer as Folk: The Book
  • Dark Genesis: The Birth of the Psi Corps (Babylon 5: Saga of Psi Corps, #1)
  • Heroes: Volume One
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • Conrad's Quest for Rubber (Conrad Stargard, #6)
  • Starmind (Stardance, #3)
  • Mash Mania
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2006.

He has also published under the name Patrick Culhane. He and his wife, Barbara Collins, have written several books together. Some of them are published under the name Barbara Allan.

Book Awards
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1984) : True Detective
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : Stolen Away
Shamus Awards Best Novel nom

Dark Angel (3 books)
  • Before the Dawn (Dark Angel, #1)
  • Skin Game (Dark Angel, #2)