Start by marking “De Elfen” as Want to Read:
De Elfen

De Elfen

(Die Elfen #1)

Onder het elfenvolk ontstaat grote onrust als bekend wordt dat een van hun demonische aartsvijanden opnieuw van zich doet spreken. Twee jonge elfen, Farodin en Nuramon, worden aangewezen om op onderzoek uit te gaan. Op hun tocht krijgen ze onverwacht gezelschap van een mens, de woeste en onberekenbare noorderling Mandred...
ebook
Published March 7th 2012 by Luitingh Fantasy (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about De Elfen, please sign up.
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷ Hey there, it is a standalone book.
Hey there, it is a standalone book.
There is no infidelity as far as I can recall, yet a love triangle (an elf and her two suitors), one very explicit scene, a few ambiguous comments here and there and a few touches upon togetherness, but nothing wild. (less)
Magnús Friðriksson There are two more books that follow this one: Elven Winter and Elven Queen.

Start your review of De Elfen
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
The plot
Mandred, human and Jarl of a village called "Firnstayn", sets out to hunt down a man-boar that threatens his people. The creature lures him to an Albengate from where he gets to the homeland of the elves, "Albenmark".
The elven queen, Emerelle, agrees to help him kill the creature that threatens his village, but in return demands to raise his first born child.
With a heavy heart, he agrees, and an elf hunt, among others consisting of two elves called Nuramon and Farodin who happen to
Jon
Jun 12, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: acquisitionarium
nimble men in green fairy tights briskly jaunting through the forest, so of course I want to read it
Gergana
May 26, 2019 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
DNF:30%

Why I wanted to read this: I'm a sucker for traditional fantasy books with elves, dwarves and all the cliches XD
What I thought in the beginning: - This reminds me of Lord of The Rings - beautifully written, well thought-out world with an interesting premise, but the writing style and audio narration were rather dry for me. The descriptions were stunning (my imagination/director was having a blast picturing the world of the elves), the characters were diverse and compelling, but I could
SubterraneanCatalyst
You have to get past the 25% mark for this one!

I couldn't read the ending fast enough- I cried- I will miss Mandred, Nuramon and Farodin!

This was a fantastic read if you want fantasy, fantasy races, but do not want to plod along with purple prose and so much description that you're not moving forward. Simply written and just what I needed. Wonderful things and horrifying things and a long journey- this is kind of a saga and I loved it.

I wonder if there is a book two....

This is the "epic" tale of three warriors who travel between realms and time. Their story begins as the human, Mandred, seeks the help of the elves to defeat a monster in his realm. Faradin and Nuramon are among the elves sent by the Queen to help him. The monster turned out to be an ancient enemy of the elves, a Devanthar, which they failed to defeat. While hunting the beast, Noroelle, the woman that both Faradin and Nuramon are courting, is banished by the Queen to the Shattered World. So ...more
Aenea Jones
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Bought this spontaneously years ago and had it lying around until recently.
I rarely buy fiction without reading reviews of it first, because I'm picky and chances are great I won't like it for either it's writing style and/or lacking character depth.

What bothered me the most was indeed the writing style. It's just badly written, and not very smart. Rather colloquial, but unnecessarily bloated with stilted expressions. The dialogue is the worst part of it. There are also a lot of occasions where
Jason
5 Stars

The Elven by Bernhard Hennen, James A. Sullivan, Edwin Miles (Translator) a Kindle Unlimited find is a classic epic fantasy that deserves your read. I loved this book and was totally surprised that this is not a young adult oriented story. It is a dark, action filled, adult themed, and dirty fantasy that just happens to be about elves and dwarves.

There are so many things to love about this massive length tale. The thing that stands out most is the wonderful characters that Hennen has
Walter Conner
Aug 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the averaged ratings for this book, I'm clearly in the minority of readers who just didn't like it. I tried—I really did—but finally gave up at about the halfway point (approx. page 350 of 790) because it wasn't working for me. In addition to what I felt was excessive and repetitive descriptive prose about clothing, weapons, etc., the few characters of the dozens in the story that I could care for tended to get killed (although some of those were either magically brought back to life or ...more
Amerei Of House Lannister (temporary)
(Spoiler-free)

Let this masterpiece of my childhood be the first book I am ever to review. Be gentle with me! I have read The Elven when I was about ten years old and I remember wanting to borrow it from my local libabry. But the book was shelved as adult fantasy and so I wasn't allowed to take and I had to call my mom because she had to give her permission. Praise to my mother that she has never bothered to check the books I read (unlike my TV shows, how is that for double moral standard?)!
Blaze
3.5 stars.
If I were to summarize this book in one word, "uneven" would be it. This is one of those stories that probably would have benefited from a bit of editing. To me it felt like two different books: a slow, tedious behemoth and a fast paced page-turner. What I really liked were the battle scenes where the outcome is far from given and also the overall tragic tone of the story is a nice touch. The triangle love theme was not my cup of tea and luckily the foucus is shifted elsewhere after a
Viz
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook was in Kindle Unlimited.
I recenty finished James Maxwells’ audio books and was absolutely impressed. So while searching in the similar genre I found Elven. Its a long story but loved it! I might not read it again because of the sheer volume of the book but might ;)
Tiera McMillian
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feb2019
Read and listen available on KU. I chose to try the audio for this book and was immediately shocked when I saw over 30 hours worth.. made me a little leery to start. The narrator was decent but unfortunately you have no way to speed up the audio on kindle, therefor I battled with myself to stay focused on the story and eventually gave up to read it myself. That all being said.. I feel this book may have been a little "too" Epic for me. There were many times I wondered why the author didn't split ...more
Andy Mangham
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started the Elven, I had pretty low expectations; I'd never heard of the book before, its cover was kind of boring, and I lacked the energy to search for a book I was really excited about. However, having just finished the entire series, I can happily say that the book went above and beyond my expectations in almost every way.
Let me be clear–The Elven has some flaws, most certainly–it was not the sort of book that totally blows one away. One of the flaws, I believe, is the rather slow–and
Kathy
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Holy smokes, this book is long. Not only in pages but in the story as it spans many, many, years. I know elves live a long time but, seriously.

Two elves are in the most civilized competition ever in the history of love triangles for a female elf. Before she makes herself choose between them, they embark on a quest with a human (great character!) to kill a big bad who's attacking the human's homeland. What follows is a long tale of fighting, traveling, seeking artifacts, saving people and
Alicia Miller
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This book is the ultimate ‘chunker’ and every word is gold. Fans of epic fantasy adventures should all rush to add this to the tbr shelf. There is a mixture of elves, dwarves, humans, demons, time travel, and fairy tale creatures with attitudes. When I think of the warm feelings I get from reading a great fantasy story, this is exactly the type of book I refer to. It’s Lord of the Rings mixed with Greek tragedy, written in a simplistic voice that says so much without needing complicated ...more
Y.I. Washington
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A True Epic

This novel starts off wonderfully. There's a monster, a chase, a rescue, a hunt and tragedy, comradeship, swords, axes and bows.

And then, a story of fellowship, truth, growth and, adventure begins. While most would see this as almost a separate book, I found it to be an ingenious tale of consequences. Our three heroes focus solely on their goal to the exclusion of seeing the threads being weaved into a tapestry of chaos and destruction as a result of their, and another's, actions.

Tabi Wares
This book....was a hard read. There’s just something about books that are translated from German, I think, that end up somewhat dry. This felt like the longest book I’ve read in a very very long time. I enjoyed the ending, i enjoyed the storyline, i enjoyed the characters, but oh my word it took so long to get anywhere.

That said, the entire last 5% or so of the book had me in tears. I may try to read the next book in the series, somewhere way down the line, but for now I need a break from this
Debra
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!! Yes it's long - 700+ pages, but it was awesome. The characters are all well developed. You feel as if you are along for the grand adventure from laughter to tears.
Lynne
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Epic! This book was awesome! One of the few books I would probably read again.
Carol
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It!!!

Absolutely loved this story, hoping for sequels!!
I am anxious to read more from this author. Thank you for sharing your craft!
Jenni
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book, really made me want to keep turning the pages to see how the story would go...
Lloyd L Wright
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From beginning to end, an adventure that captivates. The reader is immersed in the world the author has created and you lose all perception of space and time. It is a story of valor and sacrifice, but more over a story of love. Love between friends. It is a story of loss and frustration. It is a story of epic heroism and the laying down of lives for the common good. It is a story of insidious darkness being fought with the light of hope. It is a story of long-suffering patience. It is a story ...more
Dingetje50
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-books, fantasy
After having read the Elfenridders trilogy I started reading this book. And it didn't disappoint! I've been gripped by this story and had to force myself to do things like study and cook next to reading this novel. What can I say, the characters speak to me, the epic adventure spanning over a thousand years, the elves constantly being shocked by Mandred's rough behaviour, and the ending colliding with the ending of the Elfenridders trilogy.

After finishing the book, I had to force myself to keep
Monica Wilcox
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed taking this journey with the three main characters and knew before I finished reading the book that I'd probably end up reading the sequel. Then I came to the end. Ugh! It was REALLY frustrating, disappointing and entirely too concise. Maybe it's because I'm a female reader but I wanted to know how each of the elves was feeling at the deciding moment. I've traveled through hundreds of years with Farodin and Nuramon as they hunt for their one love and when they find her everything is ...more
Rhonda Harabedian
Epic

An epic story. I loved everything about it. There are differences in this telling of elves from the masters, that took some getting used to. I am glad I have it a chance. I fell in love with the characters and the worlds. I hated for it to end and am greedy for more. Beautifully written, I felt I was in the story, watching the events unfold.
Vickie Martin
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a fat book

Done well I recommend you invest your time. I don't like that offering you opinion requires a minimum amount of words.
Jennifer  Butler
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An epic

A classic epic fantasy. Some characters I loved despite their shortcomings and some I deeply hated. A long book but it was necessary for the character development and the historical element. Good job, I loved the old soul trees...
John Clement Sr
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Elven

This novel was interesting reading all the way through with surprising twists and turns. It kept this old man busy.
Michael Agee
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is epic in scope, and spans many,many years. At some points I felt nostalgia for things that happened earlier in the book as thoughI had aged along with the characters during the journey. The sense ofcamaraderieamong allies and friends within the book, especially during the battles,was very inspiring, and there are several battles. There are also manywell written tender momemts, emotional overtures, and romantic interludes between the characters.

For the audiobook version, the
Rose Guthrie
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a grippng tale

My heart is so sad I laughed some and cried alot then when the final chapter was in front of me I walked away several times I was as afraid as Nuraman and Farodin to find out their destiny. Now I know the choice. I will not mention my thoughts on how it ended. I can only know that acceptance of the outcome is fate. May all of you meet in the moonlight.

• Reign of the Dark Elves: Book One : The Sorcerer
  • Reign of the Dark Elves: Book 3 : The Fight For Freedom
  • The Lore of the Evermen (Evermen Saga, #4)
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
  • Reign of the Dark Elves: Book Two : The Prophecy
  • Iron Will (The Shifting Tides #4)
  • Broken Veil (Harbinger #5)
  • Golden Age (The Shifting Tides, #1)
  • Prism Cloud (Harbinger #4)
  • Silver Road (The Shifting Tides #2)
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
  • The Keeper Chronicles: The Complete Epic Fantasy Trilogy
  • Copper Chain (The Shifting Tides #3)
  • Iron Garland (Harbinger #3)
  • A Painted Goddess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #3)
  • Ink Mage (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #1)
  • Storm Glass (Harbinger #1)
Bernhard Hennen, 1966 in Krefeld geboren, ist ausgebildeter Germanist, Archäologe und Historiker. Sein Studium absolvierte er an der Universität Köln.

Schon während des Studiums arbeitete er als Journalist für verschiedene Zeitungen und Radiosender.

1994 verfasste er gemeinsam mit Wolfgang Hohlbein seinen ersten Roman (DAS JAHR DES GREIFEN), der im selben Jahr als bester deutscher Fantasyroman

Die Elfen (5 books)
  • Elfenwinter (Die Elfen, #2)
  • Elfenlicht (Die Elfen, #3)
  • Elfenlied (Die Elfen, #4)
  • Elfenkönigin (Die Elfen #5)
“Wie es scheint, schmilzt die Frühlingssonne den harten Eispanzer des Barbarenhäuptlings, und, o Wunder, darunter kommt ein Philisoph zum Vorschein."
"Ich weiß nicht was Vielosoof für eine Beleidigung ist, aber du kannst dir sicher sein, dass der Barbarenhäuptling dir gleich die Axt in den Rachen schiebt!"
Ollowain schlang die Arme übereinander und tat, als zittere er. "So plötzlich kehrt der Winter zurück und lässt die schönsten Frühlingsblüten erfrieren."
"Hast du mich gerade etwa mit Blüten verglichen?", grollte Mandred.
"Nur eine Allegorie, mein Freund."
Der Menschensohn runzelte die Stirn. Dann nickte er. "Ich nehme deine Entschuldigung an, Ollowain."
Nuramon musste sich auf die Unterlippe beißen, um nicht laut loszulachen.”
10 likes
“Ist es Zauberei, wenn dein Auge zu langsam ist, meiner Hand zu folgen?”
“Kein Mensch kann sich ohne Zauberei so schnell bewegen”, beharrte Mandred.
Der Anflug eines Lächelns spielte um Ollowains Lippen. “Ganz recht, Mandred. Kein Mensch.”
5 likes