Start by marking “The 9/11 Report” as Want to Read:

The 9/11 Report for Every American
On December 5, 2005, the 9/11 Commission issued its final report card on the governments fulfillment of the recommendations issued in July 2004: one A, twelve Bs, nine Cs, twelve Ds, three Fs, and four incompletes. Here is stunning evidence that Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón, with more than sixty years of experience in the comic-book
Published January 11th 2007 by Hill & Wang (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The 9/11 Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 9/11 Report

Start your review of The 9/11 Report
Greta
This was a textbook-like, tough read. I only recommend it to readers who have a special interest in American counterterrorism and politics.

Could have been so much more engaging and gripping, if the author hadn't included every single detail of the original report in this graphic adaptation. This abundance of facts has resulted in an extremely boring read.

The top notch artwork couldn't save this, unfortunately.
Mischenko
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I never read the original 9/11 report because it was so long. I tried, but it seemed boring to me. I've read so many books on September 11th, but none like this.I found this one and thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did. The organization was pretty good and easy to follow except for a few small portions. I learned facts that I previously hadn't learned. Every frame was interesting. I would recommend it to all.
Richie Partington
03 April 2007 THE 9/11 REPORT: A GRAPHIC ADAPTATION by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon, Hill and Wang, 2006, ISBN: 0-8090-5738-7

"The Commission Recommends:

WE SHOULD OFFER AN EXAMPLE OF MORAL LEADERSHIP COMMITTED TO TREAT PEOPLE HUMANELY, ABIDE BY THE RULE OF LAW, AND BE GENEROUS AND CARING TO OUR NEIGHBORS. THE VISION OF THE FUTURE SHOULD STRESS LIFE OVER DEATH: INDIVIDUAL EDUCATIONAL AND ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY."

I have never read the 9/11 Commission's report. And while I've questioned my own
James
An excellent job with a few flaws - some key factors that weren't mentioned or were glossed over, e.g. the way that a number of Bin Laden's family were flown out of the U.S. while civilian flights were grounded. Still, the idea of presenting the content of the 9/11 Commission's report in this graphic novel format is ingenious and the execution very well done, a better job of presenting a mass of detail and maintaining an appropriate tone than I anticipated.
Jordan
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I recently read the book "The 9/11 Report" by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon, and it was terrible because it was not organized well. This book is a graphic representation of the unfortunate events that took place on September 11, 2001. Two major themes in this book are terrorism and failures by the U.S. from 1979-2001. The first theme was terrorism. The authors use a lot of evidence in the book about terrorism and what the causes and the effects are. The second major theme was that the U.S. did a ...more
Kristin
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
The concept for this graphic novel was great -- take the massive 9/11 report; illustrate it; pare it down to the basic need-to-know info about the history leading up to 9/11, the major players, who to blame and why, etc. . . .

But the execution lacked efficient organization and, often, strong writing. When someone takes a nonfiction subject and uses the graphic novel as the medium through which to illuminate that subject, usually the goal is to make things less muddled, not more.

Language should
Martha
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for every American. An excellent summary of the 9/11 Panel's findings without the 1000-plus pages of the original report issued by the Panel. The illustrations are concise and serious; no "comic book" feel at all. I first heard about this book when the authors were interviewed on NPR; I was impressed with how they took this project seriously and how they felt very strongly that they needed to make the most critical information accessible to as many people as possible.
This is recent
Lisa Barrett
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am really glad I read this book. I learned a lot, since I confess I didn't read the original 400+page 9/11 Report. This graphic adaptation was easy to read and very accessible. The only other graphic novel I have read is MARCH by John Lewis.

There is a chilling timeline section. I liked the organization of the book, even though I know many other readers didn't. By having chronological sections and then sections that provide background information, this book clarified for me many of the reasons
Liz B
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
You've got to pay attention with this one. The format makes the complicated parts easier to understand, but understanding is still work.

The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001 reminded me of how awful 9/11 was...and how amazing Americans were on that day. This book shows how and why it happened.

I'm putting it in my classroom library, but I don't expect it to be a hit. Nonetheless, I'm really glad I read it.
Michael Anderson
Very dry reading. Pedestrian artwork. Narrative bounces back and forth too much. I gave up on it. I knew a lot of it already, but what I didnt know Ill get from a different source. ...more
Alex Telander
Nov 02, 2007 rated it liked it
THE 9/11 REPORT: A GRAPHIC ADAPTATION BY SID JACOBSON AND ERNIE COLON: Naturally, this graphic adaptation has been getting a lot of flack from different people related to the September 11th attacks, because they still feel that comics are for a childs enjoyment, to entertain and encourage a childs humor, and they dont know that in some ways they can do more than books in both informing through words and explaining through art. Sometimes a lot more can be said through a picture with words.

I have
Lawrence Roth
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel adaptation of the 9/11 commission report did exactly what it needed to do. It provides an excellent overview of a dense government document in an engaging visual format. Of particular interest and concern is the list of recommended reforms and policies at the end which was woefully incomplete at the date of publication in 2006, and which is still incomplete in 2020 (though the realities of national security and foreign policy have changed somewhat).

Overall, I recommend this
Ford
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
September 11, 2001, 8:45 am, how could this possibly be happening? It seemed like a normal day in New York City and then BAM!, the deadliest terrorist attack ever on American soil. The 9/11 Report by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón is a book that tells the story of 9/11. This amazing, but scary book mentions the incident minute by minute, as seen in the following quote: At 8:46, American Flight 11 crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City. (pg 9) We also learn about ...more
Ali
May 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
This graphic novel, which I ran into in the comics section of my local bookstore today, is astoundingly simplistic and generally, badly done. It is a dry and weak chapter-for-chapter adaptation of the 9/11 Commission Report, and has little merit apart from an unusually moving chapter on first responders. There are a lot of things a graphic novel can accomplish that a block of text cannot, but this is an awful misuse of a form that makes elegant and exceptional storytelling possible. This is a ...more
E. Ozols
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm torn on this book. On the one hand, I really liked the idea behind it- take an important yet dense government report that everyone should (but almost nobody will) read and make it more accessible and appealing to a different audience. And in that regard I guess it worked on me- reading the real report has been on my to-do list for years and was likely to stay that way until I discovered this graphic novel and figured I would give it a try. I read the whole thing in about four days (very ...more
Justyn Fournier
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The 9/11 Report by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon talks about the horrible day that shocked the world. Two terrorist high jacked planes and were planning to hit the World Trade Center and the Twin Towers. The artist portrays the history of this event and their pictures. There is a lot of color and the artist also uses black and white. This comic makes me feel what the people went through on that day. The author gave a clear message through a comic of what happened on 9/11. I would recommend this ...more
Jeff
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Jeff by: debating official vs unofficial conspiracy theory
Q: Would you like a comic book adaptation of the gigantic, official government commission's report on the events of September 11th, 2001?
A: Yes, please! Thank you thank you thank you!

Q: OK, how about THIS comic book adaptation?
A: Since there ain't no other alternative, i guess i'll have to take it.

If you read through several 1- and 2-star reviews, you'll get the full complement of valid criticisms: repetitive; artwork and text that don't work together; poor writing (jargon, acronyms, lack of
Jarrett Bell
So disappointing. I found this book for a recommended list of graphic novels for 6th graders. There is a fat chance that a 12-year-old could or would want to read this book. Even for a graphic novel, the text is so small and the pages so cluttered it was way overstimulating. Rather than try to pack the whole 9/11 Report into a graphic novel, they should have just condensed the main ideas to create a fluid graphic novel.
Emily
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am always a fan of making complex information accessible. This graphic novel is unexpectedly good at making the very muddled timeline leading up to 9/11 understandable, while at once communicating the underlying problems of our intelligence community. As a classroom resource, this could be invaluable in explaining the change that happened in our country after 9/11, especially to a generation of students who did not experience it.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Library

The 9/11 Commissions report in graphic novel form.

For those who want an easier way to read about 9/11 this graphic novel does the trick. I cant say Im enthusiastic about the artwork, but its acceptable and the story is very detailed for a graphic novel. I recommend anyone who hasnt read some books about 9/11, but would like to, start with this one. I dont think youll be disappointed.

Sheila
May 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-50-a-year
This book is beautifully illustrated and makes it easier to understand the very complex events that led to the 9/11 attacks. I highly recommend this as a compelling guide to study this historical event.
Katie
Aug 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
It was a little hard to get through, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't used to reading comics. Overall though it's VERY interesting and communicates information to a reading base who might not get the message otherwise- like me : )
Kitty Red-Eye
I really liked the first parts, but when it came to policy suggestions and recommended changes to US security, I didn't feel that the comic book format was very well-suited anymore. Very good job on the rest, though.
Relena_reads
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ncte, graphic-novels
This is a fantastic presentation of really important information. I'm honestly considering making this an assigned book in AP.
Jessica
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 8th-12th graders
The 9/11 Report is a graphic adaptation of the final report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States released. The novel starts by giving a timeline of the events that happened on that fateful day. In breaks it down as it progresses to simultaneously telling the events that took place surrounding each of the four aircrafts, American Airlines flight 11, American Airlines flight 77, United flight 175, and United flight 93. It should be noted that knowing the flight ...more
Tyler
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 9/11 Report

One of the most gruesome days in U.S history When did this happen? Who is to blame? Why did this happen? In the non-fiction graphic novel version of, The 9/11 Report, by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon America was dealing with terrorism. In this book Osama Bin Laden and his terrorist group, Al Qaeda, hijacked four planes in Northeast America. The government officials and people from the airline company had been caught off guard by this attack. After the planes hit New York and D.C
Nicole
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Didn't know this was a thing until I was browsing for graphic novels & happened to stumble upon this one.

I was young when 9/11 happened, & while I understood that it was bad & that a lot of people died--I did not understand the magnitude of the catastrophic attack. I've always said that I wanted to read the 9/11 Commission Report, but let's be real. A lot of political mumbo-jumbo is boring. That's coming from someone who's always been interested in the inner workings of our
Brittany
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This book is heavy hitting.

As a graphic novel I truly believed that it would be a quick read but I was very wrong.

The 9/11 Report details the findings of an American commission into the historical background that led to the 9/11 attacks. It is highly detailed with a lot more writing than the standard graphic novel but it is one of the most important adaptations I have read.

I was a 6 year old Australian at the time of the attacks. As such, I was mostly sheltered from what was happening in the
Michael
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
I like this book because it's what comics needs more of - nonfiction, politically astuteness (without blatant partisanship) and relevence. It provides all of the Commission's findings in a fairly straightforward manner, and Colon's art and use of iconography (most prominently the crests of the CIA, NIS, etc.) provide visual cues to help keep the reader focused when the barrage of acronyms and initials hit! The script is clear and easy to read, even if a tad dry at times.

My only minor

• A People's History of American Empire
  • The Age of Selfishness: Ayn Rand, Morality, and the Financial Crisis
  • The Acme Novelty Library #20
  • Open Borders: The Science and Ethics of Immigration
  • Economix: How and Why Our Economy Works (and Doesn't Work), in Words and Pictures
  • Berlin
  • Guantánamo Kid - L'histoire vraie de Mohamed El-Gorani
  • Black Orchid
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Going Into Town: A Love Letter to New York