Start by marking “Robbie de hand (Legenden van de Oorlog van de Grote Scheuring, #3)” as Want to Read:
Robbie de hand (Legenden van de Oorlog van de Grote Scheuring, #3)

Robbie de hand

(Legends of the Riftwar #3)

Met Robbie de Hand besluit Raymond E. Feist op weergaloze wijze de trilogie De Legenden van de Oorlog van de Grote Scheuring, waarin de auteur terugkeert naar de periode tijdens de Oorlog van de Grote Scheuring. Hier vertelt hij het verhaal van een van de kleurrijkste en meest geliefde personages in zijn complete oeuvre. In zijn jeugd was Robbie al op jonge leeftijd een be ...more
ebook
Published 2011 by Boekerij (first published July 2003)

Start your review of Robbie de hand (Legenden van de Oorlog van de Grote Scheuring, #3)
Bradley
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2019-shelf
Solid enough.

I mean, this is the young Jimmy right after he helps out Arutha back in the first books. By all rights, it ought to be a simple cashing in on one of the best characters in Feistland, and for the most part, it is.

The novel reads episodic and pits Jimmy against his worst enemy -- himself -- as he uses his bump of trouble to uncover all kinds of bad situations where he must insert his catlike body. Sound good? It is, assuming you like teenaged thieves getting into trouble with women..
YouKneeK
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy the Hand is the third and final book in the Legends of the Riftwar subseries that takes place during Feist’s original Magician novel. This one is co-written with S. M. Stirling. The story is set shortly after Jimmy and Arutha’s first encounter during Magician, starting right around the part where (view spoiler)

I liked this one much better than the last two books! Jimmy is one of my favorite ch
Tincangoat
Jimmy the Hand is the third Rift war collaboration book (outside the Janny Wurts Empire series) that Feist wrote with different authors. This time the author is S. M. Sterling. Sterling is the author of Dies the Fire, the only other book I’ve read penned by him.

Overall, Jimmy the Hand is an OK read. I wouldn’t recommend it to friends, but I wouldn’t slap it out of their hands if they picked it up to read it either.

I thought the book would revolve chiefly around the exploits of Jimmy the Hand and
Literary Han
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Sharon Michael
Well written, fast-paced and individual characters. I am not a big Feist fan but after some time away I've read a couple of his recently that I liked and Sterling has been one of my favorite authors for some time. The 'bad guys' are somewhat generic but not bad and the main characters are well done. It is a Riftworld book but can certainly be read as a standalone, though I'd have much preferred more of an ending rather than the 'riding off into new adventures' ending which it has.

Not sure I'd go
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
Raymond Feist is my favorite fantasy writer and his character Jimmy The Hand is one of my TOP 5 characters not only in his books, but like ever. So a book just for him is like paradise for me.

I think that everyone who reads Feist and read this book, can see the difference in the writing style and the way the story is presented because of Sterling. The book gives you an entirely different view on Jimmy's character and it's really different than the rest books by Feist. Instead of a huge wild war,
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The best of the Legends of the Riftwar books, it tells the story of what happens to Jimmy the Hand after he helps rescue Prince Arutha and Princess Anita toward the tale end of Magician Apprentice. It's a reasonable solid story, helped out by the fact that Jimmy is a personal favorite character, although some of the writing/editing is a bit sloppy. For example, in the first chapter Jimmy is described as "He was a boy of unknown age - perhaps fourteen, perhaps sixteen, no one knew..." A page or s ...more
Annika
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars really.

I love Jimmy The Hand. He's one of my favourite characters of the entire series. Therefore, I was very excited to read this book. Whilst it is entertaining, it just lacked...something...for me. I think there was way too much time spent on other characters and plot twists that didn't involve Jimmy.

---Update----

Interestingly, got to meet Raymond E. Feist last night when he came to town on his book tour. He mentioned that he felt this book was a bit unfinished and that he could ha
William Bentrim
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
Jimmy The Hand, Legends of the Riftwar Book III by Raymond E. Feist and S.M. Stirling
This is the third book of this series I have read and my favorite. Jimmy is a thief with series ethical issues. He isn’t supposed to have any and he does. Jimmy finds himself banned from his home when he gets involved in an altruistic endeavor. That ban leads to more adventures fueled by his “non-existent” ethics.
The authors did a nice job in showing the differences between country and city living. The characte
Julia
It's been a long time since I read Raymond Feist's books, so there were references to characters and events that I could tell were from other books but which I couldn't properly remember. However this worked OK as a standalone. Maybe I'll go back to re-read the original series. ...more
Chayong
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this 4 stars primarily because I love Jimmy the Hand and find him to be one of the most endearing characters of the Riftwar, rivaling Prince Arutha. So anyone who would like to read more about him, even if it was as a footnote, like I do, it is no surprise that I really liked the book.

In terms of writing style, I find the prose too short after having gotten used to reading sagas running through several books. Nevertheless, given the restraints, the effort to create a plot that will not ma
Eric
May 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Feist's Riftwar series
Recommended to Eric by: Kevin Shult
Shelves: fantasy
A passable fantasy novel, geared to Raymond Feist fans who will appreciate the origin story of Jimmy the Hand -- a character who appears in other Riftwar books.

Note that Raymond Feist did not actually write this book. In the afterword he admits to only penning the rough outline of the story and giving it to S.M. Stirling to actually write. I only mention this because Stirling, unfortunately, is not as engaging a writer as Feist.
Julie
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy, quests
Not happy with this. Too many gaps in the story, it just didn't flow well. And the storyline didn't really involve me, or do anything to me, really. Lacklustre. ...more
Andre
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A story of one of the older characters. Run-of-the-mill storytelling, doesn't bring much to the world. Ok for the fans but one of the weak ones (but still better than the Wurtz collaborations). ...more
Belinda Lewis
Dec 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly this complete butchering of pretty much my favourite character in the whole mythos was the beginning of the end for me.
Amarinske
2 stars: 3.0-5.4/10
3 stars: 5.5-7.0/10
4 stars: 7.1-9.0/10
5 stars: 9.1-10/10
Rating based on plot, characters, and writing (2x)

Characters: 7.8/10
Plot: 7.8/10
Writing: 7/10
Genral enjoyment: 8/10

Review
Nice reversed damsel in distress trope. Two girls are saving the boy one of them is in love with. They aren't doing it all on their own, but they try it on their own. This was very well done and quite entertaining.
The whole plot running
Katy
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I really loved learning just a little bit more about the younger Jimmy the Hand, and this book did that nicely.

What I enjoyed mostly, though, was the other cast of characters included in the story, each of the younger ones having a good part of their own to play, especially Lorrie and Flora - both girls willing to do what was necessary to either lead a life of respectability, or to win her man.

Jarvis Coe was a strange one, and turned out to be something totally different to who I thought him to
David
Dec 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concluding book in the series was mediocre overall. It seems Feist is brilliant when the sole author but when collaborating, the quality is of a wide range. The action level picked up in this book compared to the previous in the series but it was somewhat unimaginative overall, leaving the reader to turn the pages without the excitement that marked the first book in the series.
There was decent character development that actually led to some touching scenes at the end and the setting of a re
Angela
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have been Buddy-Reading this series over the last couple of months with a ‘book-club’ friend who had not read Raymond E. Feist’s work before. As I have been a long-time fan of his work, I have compared it to The Lord of the Rings books but have actually enjoyed this series more. When I mentioned this to my friend, she immediately wanted to read the series, and convinced me to read them with her- not that it was a big ask 😊.
It is an epic fantasy saga- with wonderful world building and scene se
Ruan
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of history behind the origins of Jimmy the hand. Also clarifies some of the happenings in novels that predate this one.

Sadly the book is a bit low on the magic and mystery that I've come to expect from the Riftwar cycle, however, it does feature a lot of colourfull fringe characters. This book gives quite a bit of information about what life in Midkemia (And specifically the kingdom) is like for more regular citizens. This provides even more colour to what Mr Feist has already explained in
Cherryonion
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Jimmy the Hand is my favourite character in this world, so I'm pleased he gets his own one-off story. It takes place during the Riftwar, after he helps Aruthra and Anita, but before all the big stuff happens later. One of the characters hints at being a major player in some of the later books, but otherwise it's just a standalone, fun Jimmy story. Feist wrote this with Stirling, but I can't say I noticed a difference in writing style or anything. It's enjoyable and a nice reminder of the earlier ...more
Greg McElroy
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable return!

It's been almost two decades since I have read Raymond Feist's books. Finding one that fleshed out who was probably my favorite character from those days made the return to Midkemia even more enjoyable.
If you have read the Magician books, this is a must read.
Thank you Raymond.
Adam Coe
Jimmy (Lord James) has always been a favorite character of mine from early works by Feist. This new collaboration and book three of the Legends of the Riftwar was a solid effort and interesting story. I appreciate the fact that it is not based upon the war with the Tsurani, but instead focused on Jimmy, some of his exploits in Krondor and Lands End. A good book, well worth the read.
Scott
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok and a good read but was really looking forward to having a whole book about one of the best characters in the series (so far) so may have hyped it up more in my head and what it was going to be like. Wanted more Jimmy the Hand than it gave which was relatively little when the book is named after him!
Eric Parker
This book ended well. I really enjoyed the last chapter or two, but before that it was terribly uninteresting and unimaginative. Jimmy didn't even really feature in the book as much as I thought he would. It was ok, but nothing special and certainly not a great read for fans of Jimmy. ...more
Taylor Ellwood
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a decent collaboration that worked to share one of the untold stories of Jimmy the Hand. All in a good read, with an interesting plot and characters, though it drags a bit at times. If you like the overall series, this is a good read.
Kindleworm Dot Com
A great little adventure for Jimmy. You need to start reading this from the moment that Arutha gives Jimmy his sword on the docks at Krondor as Arutha is making his escape.
John Sheahan
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feist's rationale for allowing another writer to write this story is interesting - the fellow author has not the baggage of writing Jimmy's story in books to come. It works well. ...more
Emma Shepherd
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story from the perspective of a secondary character... loved it!
Steve Brooker
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler alert - Jimmy doesn't die! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Neverwinter (Forgotten Realms: Neverwinter, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #21)
  • The Druid of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #2)
  • The Law of Nines
  • Dragons of the Dwarven Depths (Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragons of the Highlord Skies (Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles, #2)
  • The Younger Gods (The Dreamers, #4)
  • Dragons of the Hourglass Mage (Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles, #3)
  • Malcolm X Talks to Young People (Book)
  • Claw Enforcement (Second Chance Cat Mystery #7)
  • Through A Dragon's Eyes (Chronicles of the Four #1)
  • Macaron Murder (Patisserie Mystery #1)
  • Coffee Will Make You Black
  • Small Island by Little Train: A Narrow-Guage Adventure
  • The Renegade Apprentice (Heirs of Destiny #0.5)
  • Rebel (Hell's Ankhor #3)
  • Tex (Hell's Ankhor, #5)
  • Dante (Hell's Ankhor #6)
  • The Lessons Never Learned (The War Eternal, #2)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more

Legends of the Riftwar (3 books)
  • Honored Enemy (Legends of the Riftwar, #1)
  • Murder in LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar, #2)

News & Interviews