Start by marking “Zilverdoorn” as Want to Read:
Zilverdoorn

Zilverdoorn

(The Riftwar Saga #3)

Een jaar nadat de oorlog met de Tsurani is afgelopen, wordt prinses Anita op de dag van haar huwelijk met prins Arutha in Krondor getroffen door een giftige pijl. Om zijn geliefde te redden, besluit de ontredderde Arutha op zoek te gaan naar het geheimzinnige kruid dat zilverdoorn heet en dat alleen groeit in de nabijheid van het Zwarte Meer, in het land dat voor elfen en ...more
Published by Boekerij (first published May 7th 1985)

Start your review of Zilverdoorn
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this book soooooooo much!

I loved the story of Jimmy and Arutha in the beginning. Well, all through the book but it tells more about them in the beginning. I love Jimmy so much! He's so good! I mean he's a thief and all but still he soon becomes someone important in Arutha's crew.

Lyam is the King and Arutha and Martin are his brothers. This is about Arutha for the most part though. I love Martin too but I digress. Anyway, someone or thing is out to kill Arutha and it's not good at all!
Choko
*** 4.25 ***

Loved it!!!! Old school all the way and loving it:):):)
Matthew
The next step in the Riftwar series. If you enjoyed Magician, continue the adventure here with a quest led by Arutha (my autocorrect does not like Arutha). If you have not read Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master, stop, slowly step away from this review, and then quickly get those and start reading!

As you may have seen, I challenged my fantasy loving friends to read this series. If you made it this far, you're welcome!
Hasham Rasool
I loved this book. I find this book quite intrigued as 'Magician' but I think 'Magician' is better than this book.

My favourite character are Jimmy the Hand, Arutha, Pug, Martin and Tomas.
Bradley
So much fantasy goodness packed in this one. Even if the first two were complete in themselves, they still serve as perfect vessels to bring about a somewhat standalone adventure full of nearly all the characters we've grown to love. Even Pug has a role, but mostly we get to follow and love Jimmy the Hand and Arutha.

This is not a simple "find the freaking herb to save his love" quest no matter how simple the blurb makes it seem. Indeed, there's a lot of intrigues, big bads only hinted at in the
Gary
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The long awaited and joyous wedding of Arutha, Prince of Krondor, to the beautiful young Princess Anita, is cruelly cut short when Anita is struck by a poisoned arrow, from the bow of the Nighthawks - an underground cult of death, in league with the darkest and most evil powers.
It is discovered that the nighthawks are being used by the enemy, the dark lord, the enemy, Murmandamus, to assassinate the Lord of the West, Arutha. This in order to fulfill the ancient prophesy, necessary for
Wanda
This is the one and only book of this series which my public library possesses. Go figure. Why have only the 3rd volume of a 4 volume series? Another one of the mysteries of library acquisition.

I found this the most engaging book of the series that I’ve read, perhaps because it deals less with Pug & Tomas and more with Prince Arutha and his new squire, Jimmy the Hand. There is a certain amount of comedy to be devised by making a thief into a squire and his shenanigans lighten the mood of
Graeme Rodaughan
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a love of epic fantasy
"A thing of despair fashioned in a shape of utter horror descended from the sky." - What a great line.

It's been so long since I last read this, that it was like reading it for the first time. This is a middle book, that works really well to setup for the finale in 'Darkness at Sethanon.'

In general, I loved the book. I think the pacing could have been a little better, especially at the start, but that's a quibble.

As is usual for a Feist novel, themes of love, courage, duty and sacrifice in the
Penny
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book quite different to Magician. It spanned a far shorter period of time and concentrated on a smaller band of characters. I adore Jimmy the Hand and really enjoyed his role in the story. He made me laugh a lot :) The story was fun and well paced and kept my interest all the way through.

I took issue with the fact that the goodreads description gave away plot points that were only revealed one and two thirds of the way into the book, respectively. I'm not a fan of spoilers.

On to A
Zitong Ren
Ehh, I mean, it just wasn’t amazing compared to what has been published since then. From what I understand, Feist is, or perhaps was quite big in fantasy with his Riftwar and Serpantwar Sagas as since this is more traditional fantasy and for several decades ago, I’m certain that this would have been spectacular. I personally loved the Serpantwar Saga when I first read it as apart from Lord of the Rings and Earthsea, it was one of my first entries into adult epic fantasy. The problem is that I ...more
YouKneeK
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silverthorn is the third (or second, depending on how you count Magician) book in Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Saga, the first subseries in the Riftwar Cycle. This one picks up about a year after the previous book left off. There’s one more book in the subseries, so this one wraps up the most immediate problem that our characters are focused on, but it leaves a lot of dangling threads waiting for resolution in the next book.

Silverthorn brought the Feist Nostalgia Factor back in full force. 20
Lena
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BF0C6CB7-FA37-4FB1-B08A-D33B21628263.jpg

Arutha, Dark Prince, Little Storm Cloud, has fallen in love with his cousin Anita. A Royal Wedding is the ultimate national celebration.

But this one ended in tears.

Anita is struck down with poison. Thus begins Arutha’s quest for the cure: Silverthorn.

As all of the teens from the previous books are grown, book 3 places POV emphasis on young Jimmy the Hand. His skills and bravery quickly ingratiate him with our favorite characters.

Pug’s end of book discovery beneath the ice of Tsuranuanni was
Dirk Grobbelaar
Jan 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
I was introduced to high fantasy, way back, by three very notable works: The Lord of the Rings, The Earthsea Quartet and, of course, Magician. The latter was such a complete work that I abstained from reading the sequels. In hindsight, it was rather odd and out of character for me, since I really enjoyed Raymond E. Feist's writing and rank Magician as one of the finest works I've ever read.

So, Silverthorn. This is the immediate sequel to Magician, and a finely crafted novel indeed. I should
Jim
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book in the series, although like the first two (which were originally one book & then published in the US as 2 paperbacks) this book reads as half of one. There is far too much left hanging, so plan on having A Darkness at Sethanon at hand when you finish.

The main characters shift & a new star is introduced, but story is better for it, IMO. The heroes of the previous books are around, but they're wrapped up in other matters. This allows the world to expand in a more
Aaron
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars****

Although there are points in the story that not much action happens. I’m not sure what it is but the older style fantasy with the strong journey or quest really takes me along for a ride with the characters. This style of book feels comfortable and enjoyable to read. I can’t wait to read the next part and complete the Riftwar Saga!
Mark Harrison
Just did not click with this one. 'Magician' was such a classic but this was all rather mundane with very little magic and the very annoying Jimmy the Hand. All a bit predictable and instantly forgettable. Sorry,
Jon
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: FBCS March 2011 Selection
(view spoiler)I wondered where Raymond Feist would take me in Silverthorn , the next novel in the Riftwar Saga series. The three brothers (Arutha, Lyam and Martin) spent a year touring the Kingdom and returned to Krondor to plan Arutha and Anita's wedding. Jimmy the Hand, a young full-of-himself thief and rising star in the Mockers, foiled an assassination attempt upon Prince Arutha. Because Jimmy aided both Anita and Arutha ...more
Kaitlin
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting follow on from the first book with a lot more drama and a lot less world-setting which is cool but also slightly baffling...
Such a different style of book though, very odd. I like it in it's own right but it's a very weird continuation...
Rafael
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
lots of good ideas and lots of cliches with this one. one thing that bothered me was that everyone used the same speech: the royalty, the highborns, the elves, the aliens, the thieves, the assassins all spoke the same way, with the same words.
Mieneke
Silverthorn is Raymond E. Feist's second novel set in Midkemia and in the Riftwar Saga—not to be confused with the Riftwar Cycle, which is the name for the entire 30 books-spanning series. While I love Magician , Silverthorn is where I really lost my heart to this series, largely due to the focus on my favourite characters, Arutha and Jimmy the Hand. Of course, the cast of characters we met in Magician mostly returns as well, but for the main part this is Arutha's and Jimmy's story.

On the face
Greg Strandberg
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a good third volume in the series. It's an on-the-road adventure with some good banter and some good fights. Most of the book kept my attention pretty fully. I just wish the chapters were a little shorter.
Maria Dimitrova
I'm not sure I can properly review this book. So I'll boil it down to this: if you like classic fantasy with all it's trappings you should read it. It's fast paced and entertaining and it makes you crave more. More of this world, more of these characters, just plain more.
Maja Ingrid
3,5 stars + 0,5 nostalgia stars

It's kinda fun how much I remembered from Magician and how little I remembered from this one. Also 90% of what I remembered from this book I thought happened in A Darkness at Sethanon and not this one (I thought the whole of Pug's plotline took part in Sethanon but apparently i misremembered). So now I remember very little of what happens in the last book.

I also remember finding this book weaker than Magician back when I was 13-14. Mostly because I was pissy Pug
Lars Dradrach
For some strange reason i have really struggled to get going on this one, maybe because it’s so long ago I read volume 1 (or 1 and 2 ) but recently I found this brilliant audio version and of it went.

This is classic fantasy at its best, I was a little reminded of Wheel of Time at places, this one is just better written and edited.

Even though it’s been years since I read the previous volume, the main characters comes quickly back in memory and Feist does a good job reintroducing them.

The actual
Martine
Silverthorn continues where Magician left off and follows many of Magician's characters plus a few new ones on their highly perilous quest to find a cure for a lethally wounded princess. The book is a little light on Pug stuff, which is a pity, but the other characters are a likeable enough bunch whose fast-paced adventures are a joy to follow. The fact that they're up against zombies only serves to make the story that much more exciting. Nice characters + quest + zombies = good read!
Nikki
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I think I was in love with Arutha when I read this book. My heart was in my mouth the whole time.
Paul
3.5
A much more limited focus story than Magician but is still highly entertaining as Feist continues to create character relationships that are enjoyable to read.
Thomas
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome back to Midkemia in Feist’s second instalment in the Riftwar Saga. After having read Magician and thoroughly enjoyed it I went onto Silverthorn fairly soon after. This one was somewhat different to book 1 in that it revolves around a traditional fantasy quest and doesn’t contain the same depth of plot as Magician; it was still a fun read though.

The quest itself was entertaining but just a little bit too predictable and I think that was largely due to it being in the shadow of Magician.
Shaitarn
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 and a bit stars rounded up.

After the shennigans of the first book, Magician (two books if you’re in the US), Arutha, prince of Krondor, just wants to get home and marry his love, the princess Anita. But alas, the evil Nighthawk assassins have been hired to kill him (he avoids getting a crossbow bolt through the back thanks to Jimmy the Hand, a talented young thief) because of an old-school fantasy prophecy and they do hate to fail. Arutha’s love Anita is shot with a poisoned dart on their
Kostas
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy, fantasy
8.5/10

Since the beginning of the “rebirth” of Fantasy in the early ‘80s, the genre has managed to evolve and be loved over the years as, perhaps, no other and this book, the third part of the Riftwar Saga’s chronicles, is a perfect example of that era.
A book from a series that has managed to stand out on its own unique way and to mark the Fantasy genre, and making it thus even more lovable, but that also proves Feist's skills as an author as, after his successful debut, manages to bring a much
Play Book Tag: Silverthorn 4 stars 1 10 Apr 02, 2019 09:52AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Silverthorn [Nov 1, 2018] 34 29 Nov 10, 2018 08:51AM
Goodreads Librari...: Should probably be alternate release? 5 29 Nov 03, 2017 02:49PM
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 8 39 Nov 27, 2015 08:06AM
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 112 Oct 27, 2015 04:54PM
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover Thumbnail Broken 6 41 Jun 24, 2012 09:45AM

• Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master (Premiere)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • New Spring (The Wheel of Time, #0)
  • Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
  • Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)
  • Belgarath the Sorcerer
  • The Diamond Throne (The Elenium, #1)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master: The Great One
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)
  • Shadowfane (The Cycle of Fire, #3)
  • The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (The Drenai Saga, #6)
  • Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in ...more

The Riftwar Saga (4 books)
  • Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
“Life is problems. Living is solving problems.” 435 likes
“A hero is someone who simply got too frightened to use his good sense and run away, then somehow lived through it all.” 138 likes