Start by marking “De drie huurlingen (Legenden van de Oorlog van de Grote Scheuring, #2)” as Want to Read:
De drie huurlingen (Legenden van de Oorlog van de Grote Scheuring, #2)

De drie huurlingen

(Legends of the Riftwar #2)

De stad LaReu in het hertogdom Yabon wordt al enkele jaren belaagd door de soldaten van de Tsurani. Na zeven jaar oorlog zijn de legers dusdanig uitgedund dat de baronnen van het graafschap LaReu genoodzaakt zijn om huurlingen in dienst te nemen. Als de winter aanbreekt lijkt het vechten tot aan de lente voorbij en kunnen beide partijen hun wonden likken.

Durine, Pirojil en
ebook
Published by Boekerij (first published December 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about De drie huurlingen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De drie huurlingen

Start your review of De drie huurlingen (Legenden van de Oorlog van de Grote Scheuring, #2)
Bradley
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy
What this book does very right:

It's almost a three musketeer's kind of tale without the humor, a close band of mercenaries working their way across Feist's world until they get trapped by circumstance and some nasty Baronial politics and a snowstorm. Much later on, it DOES become a murder mystery, but the title is misleading, masquerading as big plot point without ACTUALLY being the reason for the novel.

It is, however, a pretty damn delightful novel full of great details, very well developed
Scott
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Sorry to say that this book was a slog.

It's essentially a murder/mystery centered around three mercenaries. Problem is - the murder doesn't happen until 80 pages from the end. Then there is about 30 pages looking into the murder and then the wrap up. The first 250 pages (book is only 325 pages) is the setup and even that was mind numbing in it's boredom.

I have this categorized under fantasy but it's really just a book about soldiers and nobles. Could be set in europe in the middle ages and be
YouKneeK
Murder in LaMut is the second book in the Legends of the Riftwar subseries, a trilogy of books co-written with different authors and set during Feist’s original Magician. The co-author of this book is Joel Rosenberg, whose books I’ve never tried.

I’m hoping this was the low point of the larger Riftwar Cycle series, because I found it pretty boring. There just isn’t much going on for most of the book, at least not that interested me. Had I been invested in the characters, I wouldn’t have minded if
Tasula
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three mercenaries who work together are hired to protect a nobleman, but keep getting coerced into more duties as tempers and tensions flare during a big blizzard that traps barons and soldiers into cramped quarters. The three kept their eye on the ball (the money and getting out of LaMut as soon as possible) as they navigated the tricky politics and murderous noblemen.
Kaila
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, fantasy
I fell in love with the world of Midkemia in Magician: Apprentice, and Magician: Master really solidified it for me. Feist’s world is incredibly fleshed out and a pleasure to escape into. I am following the reading order recommended by a fellow blogger for this series, which is not the order they were published in, but rather chronological. It was a hard decision to make! But I can’t help it, I like reading things in the order they happen. Having started with the four books of the Riftwar Saga, ...more
Jsrott
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing. If the title of your book is "Murder in La Mut" you expect the murder to take place before the twelfth chapter of a sixteen chapter book. I've read a lot of Feist's Midkemia novels recently so I'd like to think I'm familiar with the world he created, but I found the story to be often times confusing and somehwat lacking in interesting scenes. The characters spent a lot of time brooding and sulking, which doesn't make for a stimulating read. The solution to the murder was also ...more
Maria
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing compared to other Feist stories. Characters aren't as well-developed and engaging, storyline is forgettable. Borrows elements of the Feist universe but essentially a mediocre detective story.
Joel
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Slow, obvious murder-mystery. The characters didn't care about anything happening, and neither did I.
Becci
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three mercenaries take an easy winter job guarding a local noble... a simple job that turns into a murder investigation in the middle of a warzone...
Amarinske
3 stars with an average of 6.175/10
My rating system:
1 star: 1.0-2.9/10
2 stars: 3.0-5.4/10
3 stars: 5.5-7.0/10
4 stars: 7.1-9.0/10
5 stars: 9.1-10/10
Rating based on plot, characters, and writing (2x)

Characters: 7.3/10
Plot: 5/10
Writing: 6.2/10
General enjoyment: 7/10

Review
Where was the murder mystery insinuated by the title and summary of the book on the back?
I can barely call two murders in the same place on the same time a string of murders and the way it was 'solved' was ridiculous. Why would any
Barbara
I was pretty tired of reading Feist when I decided to push on a bit and continue with Murder in LaMut. I was pleasantly surprised however by the witty prose and dialogue with unexpected undertones of Dickens – co-author, Joel Rosenburg's influence, I think it's safe to assume. It's a slow-building murder mystery with very little magic in evidence so if you're looking for sword and sorcery, look elsewhere.

I certainly did not see the twist coming –the culprit of the murder, so well-done on keeping
Angela
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have been Buddy-Reading this series over the last couple of months with a ‘book-club’ friend who had not read Raymond E. Feist’s work before. As I have been a long-time fan of his work, I have compared it to The Lord of the Rings books but have actually enjoyed this series more. When I mentioned this to my friend, she immediately wanted to read the series, and convinced me to read them with her- not that it was a big ask .
It is an epic fantasy saga- with wonderful world building and scene
Nigel
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A standalone novel in set within the Rift-War environment. This is set early in the overall timeline when Guy du Baas-Tyra is still alive. The story focusses on three mercenaries who are having to winter in the castle of LaMut due to its severity. Whilst there they are engaged to provide protection to one of the local lords. The title of the novel ‘Murder in LaMut’ is somewhat mislead I feel as the murder does not take place until the final of the book, although the writer does a very good job ...more
Joy
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
The book itself wasn't the bad, but it had nothing to do with the last book except for that it was during the same time, but there were certain things that weren't in the last book like bugs. I really wanted to know more about the other book because I really liked the first book, but it was a bit disappointing that there was so little about the last book even though this book wasn't terrible, I just wasn't as interested as I was in the last book.
Hilary
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I usually treat myself to a Raymond E. Feist when I want fun, fast paced adventure. This book did not deliver. It is co-written, so sorry Joel Rosenburg, but I am blaming you since you are the only new thing in the equation here. It seems that the majority of the book was background with all the (minimal) action happening in the last few chapters. It was ok, but I read it every night to get through it rather than because I really wanted to pick it up again.
Phillip Gardner
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Raymond Feist's books in the past aside from the trilogy that this book is a part of.
I found this book an interesting story, but perhaps not the extent of the original trilogies.
This particular volume reads a bit more like an Agatha Christie in that we finish with a gathering of all the suspects in one room and the usual twist at the end.
However I did enjoy the characters and the story did pull me in.
Taylor Ellwood
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a collaboration that just doesn't work. It feel like one writer's style was forced into another's and the result was mediocre. The premise of the story doesn't even happen until 3/4ths of the way through the book and leading up it so much focus is on the characters and not enough on the story. It's an ok read but I don't know that I'd pick it up again.
Pete Bartel
An entertaining book on the whole, let down by the way the authors revealed the identity of the murderer. The key factor required to solve the mystery was repeatedly flaunted and made obvious to the reader. That none of the characters thought of it while discussing the obvious was beyond the realm of plausibility, even though they weren't experienced investigators.
Steven Bailado
I've read every book of this series in order up to this one, and this is the first of the series that I have not given 5 stars. This was more of a murder/mystery, which is not what I've come to love from the previous books. And even as a murder/mystery (as other people have stated) I would expect the murder much earlier on.
southernmyst
This is military science fiction, with many battles - hand to hand combat, described in vivid detail. I didn't like the gore, so I stopped reading.

If you like that sort of thing, give it a go; the writing was fairly good.
Jeffrey Greek
What an odd book. Nothing much happens for the first three quarters, followed by a quickly resolved whodunnit. But the three leads are fairly likeable, so it's enjoyable reading their griping about the increasingly difficult circumstances they find themselves in.
David
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 20%. After loving every previous book by Feist I found this tedious to the point of beginning to skim read to see if anything was EVER going to happen. Not sure if I'll persist with the 3rd in this series.
G M
Dec 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I’ve ever read. It’s the worst in Feist’s series, and generally a total chore to read. The plot is so dull, the writing dire, and the main event happens toward the end, and even then has a poor ending.

I was so pleased when I read the last page.
Ty
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can tell that the coauthor put their own spice into this one. Enjoyable as I had missed this tale when it came out and now during my reread of the entire series I'm enjoying it.
Gerhard
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
Ah good old who done it with 3 unlikely sleuths...enjoyed it very much.
sarah
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the idea of a murder set within the familiar world of r.feist.really enjoyed the book
S. D. Howarth
It is a decent standalone read and while the plot lacks the weight of the earlier book the characters are well written with a good secondary cast.

It feels like an RPG padded into a book and while readable and likeable the first quarter could do with being less of a plod.
Nina Schmitt

In Midkemia, there are no easy roads . . .

For twenty years the mercenaries Durine, Kethol, and Pirojil have fought other people's battles. Having already defeated the Tsurani, the Bugs, and the goblins, it seems there are no more enemies for them to vanquish—even as the Riftwar rages on in the west. What lies ahead for the able trio are a few welcomed months of restful garrison duty.

When ordered to accompany the promiscuous Lady Mondegreen, her aging husband, and her current lover to a summit

Samuel Tyler
A genre mash-up is not an easy thing to pull off, but a murder mystery set in a fantasy world sounds like it should work and it does. However, whilst ‘Murder in Lamut’ by Raymond E Feist and Joel Rosenberg proves that crime fiction works in a fantasy setting, it also shows that bad crime fiction is bad anywhere. ‘Lamut’ tells the story of three mercenaries who become embroiled in local politics and murder. As the only neutral people around, they are given the task of investigating a gruesome ...more
Steve Haywood
Durine, Kethol and Pirojil are a mercenary trio, who are holed up in Lamut for the winter. They ve been assigned to what they think is a cushy job, protecting a local Baron. Unfortunately, things are never that simple, and they fail to realise just how murky Lamutian politics can get& [return][return]This book is a very enjoyable read. Part of that is down to the familiar setting of Feist s Kingdom of Isles, part of it is the writing style, which is easy to read and relaxing. The plot takes ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Multiple corrections needed 11 23 Jan 04, 2018 12:46PM

• Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • A Dark Sacrifice (Rune of Unmaking #2)
  • The Guns of the South
  • The Lost Child of Lychford (Lychford, #2)
  • Song Of The Dragon (The Annals of Drakis, #1)
  • The Orc King (Forgotten Realms: Transitions, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #17)
  • The Boy at the Bottom of the Fountain
  • War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)
  • Highland Retribution (The Band of Cousins #3)
  • Of Risk & Redemption (Revelry’s Tempest, #3)
  • Winnetou
  • Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)
  • Switched
  • Undeniable (The Oregon Trail, #1)
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth, #0.5)
  • Beware the Rich Man (Rich Man | Poor Man | Beggar Man | Thief #1)
  • The Thousandfold Thought (The Prince of Nothing, #3)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in ...more

Legends of the Riftwar (3 books)
  • Honored Enemy (Legends of the Riftwar, #1)
  • Jimmy the Hand (Legends of the Riftwar, #3)